Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I tried to think when was the last time an OS upgrade had something interesting in it.

The Spotlight search in OS X Tiger in 2005 was pretty cool. And it's still a pretty decent search system (especially compared to windows' search).

In the last 10 years all new features in operating systems have been some mobile integrations and Siri/Cortana stuff or video chat or whatever.

None of those have any relevance to my use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

There's a Windows PowerToy that gives you a Spotlight clone and it's pretty good.

For Windows I use Everything which is awesome.

https://www.voidtools.com/

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

an actual frog posted:

It's always fun hearing these basic melodies from early games & software in light of what demoscene musicians were able to get out of the same sound chip many decades later. Obsolete for sure but definitely not a failure :unsmith:

And also a more pleasant cover of the original track. I love the SID chip. Such a unique sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4aZB3EVTs8

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

My Pentium 75MHz machine has a Y2K bugged BIOS, but it only affects the clock. If you set the time in BIOS to anything past 2000 it resets to 1.1.1995 (the year the motherboard was released and earliest date it allows).

You'd think five years was close enough to test it, but no. This lead me to write a year prompt to my autoexec.bat. Initially I just ran the date command but I hated typing the whole date. So now I keep the BIOS at the correct date, except in the 90s and only enter the correct year.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DJOprahSpinfrey posted:

Had a very sweet elderly couple surrender this last week at work. Apple IIc Plus, just need the floppy

We maybe you should check your cupboards for a disk instead of searching online.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

titties posted:

I had a 32" flat crt trinitron that i bought in '02 or '03 and i loved it to death. I think it may have done 720i over component? I don't remember.

I planned on keeping that thing forever and playing nes / snes on it but unfortunately it only lasted about 12 15 years before it died and i couldn't find anyone locally who still serviced tube sets.

I also had one. It was great but huge and heavy. That was also the last TV I owned. Since then I've only watched and played things on computers.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

afen posted:

I got back into cassettes right before the pandemic hit, and I've really enjoyed making mixtapes with cool covers. The only problem is that I'm running out of good music, so I'll have to go exploring before I can make some more.

Photo dump:

This reminds me. Last year's summer I also used a walkman ironically for a bit when cycling around the city. I noticed an interesting thing. The player picked up some kind of signal that traffic lights use to communicate. Or that's what I assume. It only happened in intersections with traffic lights.

It was a bit like modem noises or the old GSM interference in speakers.

I meant to record it but never got around to it.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

goblin week posted:

Yeah torrenting music was never really viable. The real way to download music was looking for blogspots with links to mediafire uploads.

This no longer works because google no longer serves websites made by humans

Btw Soulseek is still alive and very much active. It's a great place to find even obscure stuff, because a lot of the people who still use it are mega hoarders.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

This is my model, Automatic Electric 80. Serious business. It will still be around long after I'm gone.

Ericsson for me. I wish there were still land lines where I live.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DGP Space Lion posted:

I bought a C64 and a disk drive early this year and wanted to transfer some demoscene stuff that requires an original drive to work, so I ordered a box of 50 5.25" diskettes from that guy. Including international shipping it cost me nearly $150 and the diskettes came all smooshed together without sleeves (I also ordered a box of sleeves but they arrived separately). Amazingly so far all of them work fine despite being at least 20 years old.

I also have a bunch of original C64 games on diskettes that somehow still 100% work despite being almost 40 years old (and probably sitting in an attic for 30 of those years)

Similar situation for me, except I scoured ebay and local markets for random floppies I could find and also ended up with maybe 50 floppies.

And similarly, almost all of them have worked just fine. The ones that have issues usually have visible physical damage.

Floppies rule.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

What was the first storage device you had where you thought "I will never be able to fill this up!"

https://twitter.com/80snewsscreens/status/1572201111989395458?s=20&t=fuFb6xvsaEeSi6Opg5QzGA

I have never had trouble filling drives, but I got a 486 in 1993 with a 105 MB hard drive. It was many years before I was able to get an upgrade for the HD so I jumped from 105MB to 2GB. That was a pretty huge leap at once and changed my computing a lot.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Then again, Steam is perfectly legal and has the same problem. Just browsing the games I own can turn into "sit there and look at the names without launching anything", and the store is almost paralysing.

I keep my Steam library mostly on the "Only show installed games" and "Sort by last played" mode. And I only have a handful of games installed at any given time. Works for me. I have similar problems if I see a huge list of games.

Kwyndig posted:

These days I only browse my wishlist for deals. I get email notifications but they're never complete in their listing of what games are on sale this week/weekend.

:same:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

This thread is for obsolete or failed technology! Teletext still rules!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I found my old 120gb ipod classic...

It hasn't seen the light of day in years and it still fired right up. It still sounds better than my phone in every way. I want to see how my car stereo works with it but the only USB is on the back. Next time I have a reason to rip the dashboard out I'll hook the old boy up.

Does anyone know a good way that I could get the files off of it safely? The computer I used to transfer the files originally is long gone. I'd like to preserve it as a time capsule as well as retrieve what's on it

I had the last monochrome model iPod. I loved the look of the UI because it used the original Chicago Mac font. Gave it a nice retro vibe even at the time.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I saw some of these and got flashbacks to the 80s. I love these lights. I wonder if you can still buy them somewhere with leds instead.

The best kind were the ones where one broken light would break the whole thing. The annual quest to find the one broken christmas tree light.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

267 people died of Dropsy? That game is dangerous.

I thought it sounded like a parcel delivery startup.

Which could easily lead to 267 deaths.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Hah! I have one of those as well. Mine has a couple of glitch switches added also. A fun mic, I recorded one song with it.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I remember submitting a site I had made into the Yahoo index in the late 90s. It did get added.

Simpler times.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Humphreys posted:

I have a huge love of Pirate Radio

I often like to listen to recordings from this site. UK pirate radios, mainly from the 90s. Mainly techno/rave music.

https://www.thepiratearchive.net/

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

With the malls closing where do the olds go? Are they walking online in the METAVERSE?

Without regular walking the olds became angry and started posting alt-right memes on Facebook.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rappaport posted:

Settlers 2, a city-builder game from 1995, had a multiplayer mode that was split-screen, and both players had to use their own mouse.

Lemmings on Amiga also had a two player mode with two mice. Because joysticks and mice used the same port so you could use either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAedz3nWn9E

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

By either you mean that nobody owed two mice, so the second player had to use the joystick which sucked for controlling lemmings.

Sometimes a friend brought their own mouse with them so we could play it!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

There's a parliamentary election in Finland soon and the Pirate Party released a C64 demo with their candidate list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U_1wdw5mQQ

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Z 104 clock radio that looks like it's struggling against a very strong wind.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

By popular demand posted:

That reminds I should really donate to the Dosbox project as that's the just about best thing people keep doing for this computerized world.
Do they even take monetary donations, I can't code for poo poo?

E: yes they do and you should probably donate too.

I would hope that DOSBox gets some support from GOG, because most of the old games are just DOSBox wrappers.

But the webpage also has a paypal donate button in the footer.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

DOS is pretty good.

/thread

Maybe for casual hobby use. For professional use you want a true multi tasking environment like AmigaOS + Workbench :smuggo:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sweevo posted:

iirc conio.h, dos.h, and graph.h are TurboC headers, so the author probably assumes you're using that and didn't include them.

Yes I recognize conio and dos.h at least.

Borland Turbo C/C++ should do the trick.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Vinyl outsells CDs now. I wouldn't be surprised if cassettes overtake CDs at some point. There are a lot of new releases on cassettes these days.

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/10/1162568704/vinyl-outsells-cds-first-time-since-1987-records

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

The AM/FM functionality is from an INTERNAL MODULE that goes into the tape slot. Oh, but wait...does it take a tiny battery? And there's no magnetic head thingy like on those popular CD player cassette adapters from the 90's, so how does that work?

This is cool. And I still find those magnetic cassette adapters magical even though the technology is surely super simple. That kind of thing is many times cooler than any latest bluetooth things or whatever the latest wireless innovations are.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I grew up in that perfect slot to remember vinyl, appreciate it, yet glad I never have to go back to it.

I like vinyl. Not for sound quality, although I enjoy the snaps, pops and crackles, but I just enjoy putting a vinyl on and listening to a record with some concentration.

If I listen on a computer I tend to get distracted and pause and look at a video etc.

I've been buying one vinyl a month for some time now. It's a nice little treat.

One annoying trend is that many new releases are double vinyls, because they apparently have a better sound quality, but that just means more swapping when listening. I can deal with one side swap during an album, but three starts to get annoying.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The last blank cassettes I remember buying were darn near impossible to find, but I got two at K-mart somewhere between 1999-2001. I used them in my 1996 Contour commuting from college.

The Contour's tape deck was a beast, but the fast foward and rewind buttons yeeted themselves somewhere in the car one day and I couldn't find them. It left metal tabs poking out and those were still operational.

During the life of that car, a relative took pity and gifted me a 12-disc CD changer, which had to be mounted in the trunk.

A few years ago I bought a box of unused interrogation cassettes from a british police department on ebay. Cost barely nothing and now I have dozens of cassettes with a fun story.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I remember when Rebirth came out in the late 90s. I was still using my ancient 486/33 to make Fast Tracker 2 music. A friend had a modern Pentium machine and got to see Rebirth at his place. I was blown away. It was wild being able to manipulate sound and have effects in real time.

It would then still be a couple of years when I managed to get a modern PC and all the latest music toys.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

i was digging through some old boxes and found a bunch of old pc game manuals as well as things like the Wing Commander magazine. they used to put effort into that poo poo.

Oooooh this brought back memories. I had a pirated WC but I had forgotten that I had a nice photo copied and bound manual for it.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Nocheez posted:

My favorite big box was Full Throttle. What an awesome game!

I missed both The Dig and Full Throttle when they came out because they were CD titles and I didn't have a CD drive.

I played them many years later and enjoyed both. I'm generally a big LucasArts fan and play through the classics every couple of years.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Saw this Imgur post of someone cleaning out their dad's old study:

https://i.imgur.com/koq6t3b.mp4

That's close to what I have in my study now. Equally dusty, too.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

You Am I posted:

Now all you need is an Atari ST

I recently watched a documentary about Fatboy Slim's huge outdoor rave in 2002. Funniest thing was that he was still using an ST to make music in 2002. Pretty good return of investment for a 1985 computer.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Linux running on a C64.

Not very practical though:

"The screenshots took VICE a couple hours in "warp mode" (activate it with Alt-W) to generate. So, as is, a real C64 should be able to boot Linux within a week or so."

https://github.com/onnokort/semu-c64

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Randalor posted:

So it's just pushing the C64 to see what can actually run on it? Thats still pretty cool, even if Linux can't actually do anything.

I have an 1541 Ultimate II+ cart for my C64, which also has an ability to act as a memory expansion. A part of me likes the idea of installing that on my real C64 and leaving it on for a week until Linux has booted.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The late 90s was a great time. Like those graphics are pretty close to what I made on my pirated 3D Studio for DOS as a teenager. That's actually pretty bad for 2000.

During that time it was easy to be a forerunner because everyone was just messing about and figuring stuff out. Which is why I got my first job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

No the jist is it's a Catholic tradition to eat fish on Fridays because of religious reasons. There's no logical rationale behind it. At some point in history it was decided to not eat meat on Friday and it was also decided that fish was an acceptable substitute because of the whole Fishers of Men thing.

I think the rationale was that Friday you want to get drunk after work and fish has less calories per weight and you'd get wasted easier if you ate a light dinner.