Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I just finished reading the Dresden Files, up through those 4 preview chapters in the space of about a month.

Holy poo poo. These just don't let up. And now I have to wait until when for Skin Game? Oh well, it'll give me time to read all those doorstoppers I've had sitting around.

Maybe I'll give Alera a chance, it seems like it has an interesting premise. I'm not much of one for lost Roman legion type stuff, but I wasn't much for modern fantasy either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Devorum posted:

I always pictured him as a Caucasian Shepherd, which Butcher has confirmed. It's the description of Mouse's fur that does it. They are very intelligent, but also terrifying when provoked.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I imagined him like, although I didn't know that breed. Speaking of which, holy crap that is a bigass dog breed, the upper end of the average range is 30 inches tall and 200 pounds. I can only imagine what an abnormally large one would look like in person, that would be a sight to see.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been reading these books because a friend recommended them. My rec to him was Discworld. Just about certain he is getting a much better deal on this one.

I'm in book three and though this one is much better than the last, I am getting annoyed again. Does Butcher ever stop repeating himself or stop seeming like a fifteen year old virgin? I can't believe how repetitive the writing is.

I like the storytelling a lot. But man, the writing is so bad I don't know how much more I can take. Please tell me it improves.

Book 3 is where it gets good. The first two are kinda terrible. The writing issues don't instantly go away, but they get better for sure. Harry starts being less goony and matures quite a bit (although he's still kind of an immature smartass), and the repetition gets a bit better but it's worth learning to just skim over it (in terms of repeated explanations between books, I didn't really notice too much repetition in-book after 3 or 4).

Give it at least until the end of book 3, but if you still aren't feelin' it by book 4 the series probably isn't for you.

Edit: Keep in mind that this was pretty much the first publishable thing Butcher wrote. So yeah, he improves a lot as an author as time goes by.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 10, 2013

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Also, apparently the last 3 books will be "Stars and Stones", "Hell's Bells", and "Empty Night". So I'd guess that all of those phrases will end up having some pretty major significance in the end.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
After all this talk about Sandman Slim I decided to take a look at the preview on Amazon.

This is the stupidest, awesomest, bestworst thing already I think I'm going to end up buying it.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 20, 2013

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Dresden withdrawals actually has me looking for a set of the TV show. Blackthorne is better than nothing, right?

It's on Netflix, if you have access to that. It was... Interesting, as long as you're expecting something that only vaguely resembles the books.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Now, what does ground out magical energy is running water, so all he really needs is a waterproof computer and sit in the shower the whole time he's using it :v:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

hatelull posted:

Well, that is one character yet to be introduced ...

Mab talks about "the White Christ" at one point, although I forget where.

Also isn't Dresden (Ghost Story spoilers) not technically dead? I thought Mab, Demonsreach, and the Parasite were keeping him alive while he goes gallivanting off as a spirit courtesy of our friend Uriel, but it's been a while since I read it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Grundulum posted:

Where is this blurb brought up? I don't remember it at all.

It's from the reading that Butcher did for some convention. It's on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fermun posted:

Until one of the more recent books, I always thought that Harry was being trained as a potential future Gatekeeper.

By the end of the series, Harry will be the Winter Knight, the Gatekeeper, the Blackstaff, have the use of soulfire, have Demonsreach at his disposal, get the ex-Denarian living in his head back, know the secrets of Kemmler, and be Starborn.

Plus whatever the hell else Butcher comes up with in the meantime.

Power creep is one of the problems with this series.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Dienes posted:

What I find interesting with the power creep is that his enemies haven't significantly changed. The outsiders/fae/denarians/fampires have been there from the early novels. I really can't articulate why, but its satisfying somehow to have the antagonists evolve and change tactics overtime rather than introducing a new, more powerful enemy every book.

This is very true. And I must say I enjoy the series very much, and it has done a good job of balancing power creep with cost for that power and keeping the antagonists fairly constant helps - Butcher did a good job with making them ridiculously powerful from the start. I think it's more satisfying because they've had the time to be built up as actual characters with proper personalities rather than New Villain #47, and even when he beats them it's usually more along the lines of winning a battle, not putting them down for good.

But it does feel a bit ridiculous at times, even so.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I find Charity to be completely annoying and her daughter even worse. And Forthill? UGH. I have never skipped over parts of the series while reading until now, but conversations with several characters just dragged.

What parts specifically?

Also the last scene of the book (if I'm remembering right) is pretty great.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Yeah. I guess maybe you could try to make your book national news by playing controversy - make the Mormon church a cover for a vampire bloodcult or something, and try to get people outraged. That's about it, though.

Or you could make the Mormons a heroic organization of vampire hunters or something, you'd sell lots of copies to Mormons and none to anyone else.

SolTerrasa posted:

I'm in Seattle right now, so I'm biased, but I'd say Seattle is a way better choice than Utah. You're right about Las Vegas though! I didn't even think about that.

I no longer live in Seattle, but I used to and some of my friends are making me very jealous - they're playing the Dresden RPG set in Seattle. The setting they've created includes "What if all the genetics/biotech research companies downtown were in on this whole magic thing?" and "Fremont is literally the center of the universe."

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Gygaxian posted:

But I guess if that would alienate readers, then I won't be able to do that

At this point (counter to what I said above) gently caress what would alienate readers and write something you will have fun writing. It will be garbage, because everyone is terrible at writing when they start.

Write it, go to Creative Convention and have people tell you why it's awful, write something else that tries to fix those problems, repeat from step 2.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SageSepthAtWork posted:

Yeah he should definitely go into Faerie with Iron gear, probably a good idea, although it would be the Dresden sort of thing to do I suppose.

Maybe not the Faerie, but if he was to do something really stupid like go to hades some armor with a bit of divinity rubbed off on it might be pretty handy.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

I'm not 100% sure about the others, but I counted up the years on Murphy a while back and she's about 50 now (give or take a year). Aside from Michael who's retired from the action, the rest can mostly write off age stuff because of :magic:. I think Butcher's going to have to do something with Murph to keep her relevant (or kill her off). She might be a bad-rear end, but it's going to be odd in the Apocalypse trilogy to read about Murphy in her 60s fighting outsiders/immortals/gibbering horrors when most people her age are collecting pensions.

It's been brought up several times in this thread that something needs to be done about Murphy - she doesn't really fit in with the series anymore. She needs some kind of character development to make her relevant, which at this point seems most likely to be a crisis of faith culminating in her taking up one of the swords. Which would also make her age pretty much irrelevant, if Shiro is anything to go by.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Smashurbanipal posted:

Lash is Mister projecting into Harry's head, it is known.

Any scuttlebutt about when the next book is coming?

Skin Game releases late May, after that, nope.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Error 404 posted:

So back in Summer Knight When Aurora dies there was another starborn involved? Maybe Elaine is a starborn.

I'm guessing the "before recently" there means it in fae terms. Maybe Merlin was a starborn?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

MasterFugu posted:

there are 2 5 book ebooks on nook's shop, not sure about amazon

Amazon does have collections of books 1-6 and 7-12, but they're $55 each - so it's actually cheaper to buy them all individually, since the collection is then $9.17 per book and most of them look to be $8.54 individually.

If it's too expensive, check your local library, a lot of them do ebooks now.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Wittgen posted:

Where exactly did we find out that the blackstaff wasn't Mother Winter's walking stick? That seems like such a slam dunk connection.

It hasn't been confirmed, it's something that seems like a likely connection but it could also just be a red herring.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

quote:

Is Mac more than a human? I think he's not, but there's a growing faction that believes he's either Merlin or some sort of Gray Angel

Jim Butcher posted:

Mac has never once done anything beyond the capability of a plain old vanilla human being.

Kind of interesting, but absolutely worthless as far as actual information goes.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

OptimusWang posted:

I dunno, I thought the bit about the eldest of each race being a mantle was pretty interesting.

Ah, no, I was referring specifically the question and answer that I quoted. There's some other stuff in there that's interesting, but that non-answer stuck me as a particularly good example of using very specific wording to say not a whole lot.

Other interesting stuff:

quote:

How did Mouse use Dresden as a mana battery? Is it a question of ambient siphoning, i.e. being around a large enough power source 'gives off' a certain amount of atmospheric grounding that Mouse absorbs, for lack of a better term?

Can he do the same for the faith-based energy of Michael, his family, or those tasked with the guarding of it?

quote:

1) He didn't. :) Lea had incorrect assumptions about the source of Mouse's power.
2) No, he can't. It isn't what he does.

Maybe Mouse was drawing strength from Dresden's conviction about saving Maggie? It's not a threshold but it would kinda make sense, given that foo dogs are guardians.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Yesssssss

I mean, that was pretty much what everybody expected anyway, but still. Seven days until I can read this book...

• Locked thread