Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Harry is even more of a nerd than most. His job is magic and his hobby is also magic.

Locking himself in the basement and not showering for a year after Susan got vampired is just icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thunderfinger posted:

Here's a cool Dresden cosplay pic I found in the PYF thead:

Brandon Sanderson, is that you?

Eh, maybe the resemblance was better on recollection.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 20, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

So doing a reread of Cold Days and when Harry goes to talk to Mother Winter, Mother Summer says that she lost her cane Could this be a reference to the blackstaff?

They mention multiple times that immortals experience time very differently from mortals, so theoretically a thousand years would be nothing to the fae.

There's a quote from Jim on the official forums that rules it out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Really? I assume it from a post-Cold Days statement, link please? Only thing I recall about the Blackstaff is that the original owner wants it back very very badly, and that came from a Changes interview.

Personally I am more than happy if that is the case, it makes the universe larger with more factions instead of so Winter heavy.

Okay, it was a signing question. Jim told him that if the fan wanted to figure the blackstaff out, to look at Celtic lore around 1065 AD.

That kind of implies that it isn't something made out of whole cloth.

Fanspec puts it as the staff of Dagda
"This great staff that thou seest,’ said he, ‘has a smooth end and a rough end. One end slays the living, and the other end brings the dead to life.’"

In myth it was loaned away by the original owner. And by loaned I mean stolen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mouse is a Foo-dog. He's not even remotely Celtic.

From the reddit AMA:

quote:

Q:Is mouse a Foo dog or a Temple dog? My understanding is that Foo dogs are Tibetan celestial beings, and Temple dogs are Foo dogs crossed with mortal canines (possibly multiple generations removed).

You, at one point, referred to mouse as a Temple dog, but Ancient Mai at one point in Turn Coat exclaims something like "That is a Foo Dog. Where did you get it!?". Could you clarify?

A: You're splitting hairs, here. They're the same thing (for every practical purpose). A Foo Dog is a celestial being which chooses to give up its divinity (and immortality) to serve and protect in the mortal world. Part of being mortal is having offspring, who share in their progenitor's power.

quote:

Q:This question contains a spoiler for my favorite character, Harry's badass best friend Mouse, so be warned.

Will Mouse continue to operate at Foo dog level now that he's guarding Maggie? When he faced down Lea in Mexico she said that he was far from his place of power, but he replied that he cheated by living with a wizard. Does that mean he needs to live with a full-fledged wizard or just someone with wizard talent? Obviously he'd still be a giant killing machine with a snarky personality, but I worry that he might try to bite off more than he can chew if he loses the Superdog status.

A: Here's something I'm not sure will ever make the books: Mouse draws the fundaments of his power from a house's threshold. Weaker at the Carpenters'? Ye gods and little fishes, he went from Thing to Hulk when he moved in to protect Maggie. But, having grown up with a wizard who regards conventions as things to mourn as they are shattered into little pieces, and to speak nicely about in retrospect, he's learned to use other kinds of power, too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

electricsugar posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The particular line that made me cringe was something along the lines of: "Only a pure focus of sustained hate could have pulled off this spell. So that means it must be a woman."
"Why's that Dresden?"
"Because only a woman could hate like that. Women hate better than men do."
or something like that.

I was concerned at this point that this kind of gender-stereotyping and woman-hating would become a recurring theme.

That being said, I'll try to stick with it because I did really enjoy those first few chapters, and I believe you folks that it does get better.

I'm pretty sure Butcher intends to make it obvious that Dresden has some biases and issues with ladies. He's rather a flawed protagonist in that respect.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

That's a fun interview!

Things with those guys aren't always fun and games though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deadbeat posted:

I'm re-reading Cold Days and there's just one thing I don't completely get.

As I understand it, Nemesis wants the Demonreach prisoners to be freed, perhaps setting off armageddon. They are immortals, so even if they are vaporized by the failsafe they'd be back eventually.

So why does Nemesis strike at Demonreach on Halloween, the only day when immortals can be perma-killed?

Wouldn't the failsafe wipe them out forever if it were used on that day
?

I'm guessing this is a Thief of Time scenario.

These horrible evil beasts are going to ride out at Armageddon, yes, but nobody ever specified which side.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh, and then watch the TV series, and react to each of the episodes!

(Don't actually watch the TV series)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Give the second Laundry Files book another shot. It takes a bit to get rolling, but once it does, it's amazing. It has the best plot device ever.

Thing is, it really feels like Stross is trying too hard to be 'geek hip', and he repeatedly makes dated references that were never really funny to begin with. I think he calls his iPhone a 'Jesus Phone' like at least twenty times, and that's kinda the trend through the whole book.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's not a bad theory at all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Can I recommend Tea With the Black Dragon? I'm not really sure if it's urban fantasy, but it's quite good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I dunno, if some species is very different from humans, you'd expect that individual variations in temperment wouldn't be picked up on if you didn't spend a lot of time with them. All dolphins look basically the same to anyone not a marine biologist... so you wouldn't expect for someone to be able to appreciate the subtleties of, say, Palainian culture beyond 'wow those guys are cowardly'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

But the issue there is if they are that different, why are they interacting with the protagonist? They have to be similar enough that their motivations either aid or conflict with the hero's so it means they can't be that radically divergent. If your aliens are methane breathing Jovian inhabitants, why does the SS Goodship care? They won't invade our planet, we won't invade theirs, and technology is so different there is no trade, so what role do they have in the story?
Exactly, their technology is incredibly different, and only they are capable of building the Penumbra Device, which must withstand pressures greater than any faced by Terrestrial technology. But to convince them to manufacture it, the heroes must complete tasks which are predicated on priorities all-but-incomprehensible to our human mentalities.

Having people with wildly different priorities and abilities should make trade work better, since they'll value something highly that you don't care about, and vice versa.

I don't really see what's 'racist' about having aliens with wildly different physiologies and psychologies. If the Chmmr have attention spans significantly longer than humans, maybe sitting around for hours watching a flower bloom is super interesting in a way that doesn't really appeal to humanity. That difference'd translate into far longer drawn out meetings and slower (but possibly more sensible) decision-making, with Chmmr accountants being the best in the galaxy (or something). The fact that it's necessitated by their imperfectly fused silicon-and-mechanical neural harness shouldn't change anything.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dravs posted:

That's it, just finished Cold Days.. *boosh*

The ending was pretty epic. Real good to see another side of Mab. She's not always a terrifying banshee.

All caught up now. Am I part of the gang?

Have you read the spinoff short stories yet?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dravs posted:

"Hells Bells"

:negative: It made me want to slap Jim Butcher around the face after hearing that too many times

On another note, my work is sending me to another site next week and putting me up in a B&B so I bought the PC Grant books (Rivers of London etc) on this threads recommendation. Looking forward to them.

I'm fairly certain one of the last three books is going to be named 'Hells Bells', so...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

superstepa posted:

I've been reading through dresden files non-stop in the past couple of weeks (Just finished summer knight and waiting for my death masks library hold to go through) and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.
It really reminds me of the -watch (Nightwatch/Daywatch/etc) series by Sergei Lukyanenko, have anyone here read that? It's a great read as well, I really enjoy the setting in it

Just one question. Does it become even better from here? I'm surprised by how consistently good that was (Fool moon felt a little weaker than others but that might be just me)

Fool moon is generally regarded as the worst book - it's a rehash of Storm Front's structure and kinda loses momentum a few times.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stroth posted:

It's already been pointed out that The Book of Swords is unlocked. Here's the wiki link for the Twelve Swords of Power. Look up Woundhealer, that's the one that was used in the book. Imagine what you could do with that. Then look at some of the others. Specifically, look at Farslayer, Shieldbreaker, Soulcutter, Mindsword and Doombringer. Now try to imagine a situation that you couldn't solve using them.

So why didn't the first person who thought to grab a spikard end up ruling the world?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

All you really need for an apocalypse is a few poorly-written nanobots.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Hello second book plot point. :monocle:

Well, everyone's already able to pull out the binary nuclear bombsshields from dune, so there's obviously no adequate oversight on hazardous items.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And Lily was a Changeling to begin with and Chose her Fae side.

She didn't so much Choose as having the choice made for her when she got the ladyship.

quote:

Yeah and before she produced it Maeve was hiding the gun somewhere. Whereever it was there was probably some contact with her skin, It had to have been made of some composite.

It doesn't have to be nonmetallic, just nonferric. Heck, even though we don't use it anymore, gunmetal is copper (88%), tin (10%), and zinc (2%).

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 13, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also who knows what Lea was up to when she prepared Molly as a vessel.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Revenant Threshold posted:

I can understand just having an actor playing him, CGI costs being what they are (or were). But you could still have a Bob-ish character. TV Bob retains the condescension, but that's it.

I have to say, the one thing I actually did like as an adaption is the hockey stick as a staff. Something that would be entirely plausible (well, more plausible) to be carrying around plus it seems in character.

I liked TV Bob, and I liked the hockey stick.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SerSpook posted:

I honestly think the Dresden Files could make a pretty awesome and faithful TV show. Each book, at least in the beginning, be like a three or four part story arc. Cover the first three books in the first season, maybe even the fourth and fifth book. Any of those three would be great season finale points. Special effects could be a problem though, but honestly the Dresden Files aren't super flashy all the time. It's more like occasional instances of awesome magic stuff happening in each book.

Besides, Dresden says that magic looks 'like bad cg'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Parasite is obviously the so-called 'subconscious harry'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"And if he is Harry, wouldn't that suggest that Harry eventually learns how to time travel?"

Butcher said he's treating the laws of magic as a checklist, so...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just started reading The Incrementalists. It's pretty good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Demonreach and Rashid had a relationship of some kind, and it was heavily implied that he is the reason Demonreach has a limp.

That's confirmed by Jim as a red herring.

It's actually the glaciers that carved out the great lakes that did it, apparently

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 3, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

The Oblivion War is one of the most interesting ideas in all of Dresden, while simultaneously being the most difficult to write about.

To the point where Ivy's massive involvement will probably never get mentioned in a dresden novel.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I read Backup, when was Ivy brought onto it?

It's not from Backup. It's something Jim mentioned on his forum.

I'm pretty sure this will never make it into the actual Dresden Files since Harry has no idea the Oblivion War is happening, along with everyone else. So I'll share it here. :)

The Archive was constructed /for/ the Oblivion War. Specifically.

Yes, the Archive (and Ivy, the two aren't really divisible) know about these forgotten beings. The Archive is in essence the keeper of the dead, where they are concerned. Once the archive believes one of them has been consigned to oblivion, she holds on to the memory of that being briefly, for another thousand years or so, watching for any mention of that being in print in an effort to make sure that she is the /last/ person alive who remembers whichever hideous entity has been consigned.

And once the safety period has elapsed, and the Archive is confident that no one else remembers, she deletes the memory from the Archive. Bad guy, /gone/.

She also tries to keep track of the enemy players in the Oblivion War via watching for communications and so on. When she finds a trace of them, somewhere, she lets a cell of operatives (like Lara and Thomas) know what's up, through a blind drop, and sends them off to handle the problem.

The Oblivion War is a huge, /slow/ thing. Stuff happens every few decades, at most. That's why the Archive was created--to be an immortal awareness, something that could track and intelligently direct responses to the enemy in a war happening on an almost geological scale. All that other stuff she says the Archive is for? Smoke and mirrors. :)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

By the way, if you watch this Q&A, Jim Butcher explains exactly what went wrong on the TV series.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stroth posted:

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. They're supposed to be these incredible manipulators, and we certainly get told that over and over, but the closest we come to actually seeing it is Lara hammering Harry's 'chivalrous idiot' button over and over. It's not exactly impressive.

Well, that and controlling a significant fraction of the US Navy offscreen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It makes sense that it could be tricky to "show" less overt attributes but that doesn't change the fact that Butcher never demonstrates most of the white court's power, he just tells us about it. It would not of been too difficult to say set Dresden up for a murder and have the charges simply disappear and only later we find out its due to white court influence. That is a bad example but some similar display of manipulative power that isn't just a discussion of it.

Like having a navy carrier group diverted to save his friends?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

He's the one that gave Demonreach it's limp, so you know he's got the chops to seriously gently caress some poo poo up when it comes down to it.

Actually, that was a glacier.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yay Pudding! posted:

Re-watching the tv show because I'm bored, and I have to say Paul Blackthorne is almost dead on for the actor. I wish the tv show would have gotten some steam, because it really isn't that bad compared to what is on tv now. I had fun comparing book to show. In the show, Bianca is a merger of Susan and book Bianca. Red and black courts exist, but the differences aren't explained. They did some leg work to do some world building, but never got to pay it off. I like to think of the show as an alternate universe version of Dresden. It's funny watching the early episodes of the show and thinking how comically easy it would be for contemporary Harry to get out of it. It's fun how the books do a good job of progressing Harry. In Fool Moon when he's trapped by tough werewolves, he's pretty much completely screwed if not for the intervention of his friends. If Cold Days Harry was in that situation, he could have hosed up all those guys easily. The only thing that has stayed the same is Harry's ego, poo poo talker to the end. Now he can back up his poo poo talking, before he had to scrape by on luck. It's still fun because he ends up finding himself in worse and worse situations.

I kind of want to try reconstructing the original show's script - they initially just did a hackjob by changing character names, so it seems like it'd be possible to recombine them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yay Pudding! posted:

I think the show basically did Storm Front and Fool Moon with some minor differences, then after that it went off the rails. It will never happen, but if HBO or Showtime decided to make a series out of this it would be loving awesome. Personally, I love how everyone consistently underestimates Harry, and then he drops the loving hammer. Hard. Harry is a guy that makes a point of maximizing comic booky bullshit to strategic effect. The way he does it is also great. He can be in an un-winnable situation and talk his way out of it. He is a max level poo poo talker, and that is a fun character to watch.

I linked an interview with butcher a bit upthread. The gist of it is, they had a guy in charge who previously worked on DS9, and they had the scripts written up as a long continuous arc... then two weeks before production started, SyFy meddled, and suddenly Dresden TV was now being run by a guy from Charmed. Who decided that people didn't like plot arcs, and only wanted episodic poo poo. They protested that the scripts were already written but - not to be deterred - he just told them to change the names and castings.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BrooklynBruiser posted:

So I'm reading Changes, and when (spoiled as a courtesy to Lyer) the Grey Council shows up at Chichen Itza, someone uses fuego as a fire spell. Any thoughts on who?

It's not a fire spell. It's a Spanish order to open fire.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Best example is summoning up a demon instead of looking in the phone book.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Jim's never mentioned them so no, it's probably just a fan thing.

He responded to Harriedwizard a couple times on twitter, but it's pretty obviuosly nonofficial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ramadu posted:

How the hell does this one work?

As a guess... AT fields are actually mobile thresholds, evangelions are giant mecha made out of cloned angel parts because conventional technology is hexable, and the big egg proto-angel creatures are faerie-queen class entities which caused the same scale of devastation when imbalanced?

• Locked thread