Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Root Bear posted:

This 66 Chevy Nova came into my shop for an inspection last Saturday:

In addition to the custom paint and wheels, it had a built small block that the owner claims made almost 500hp. Sounded mean and had a noticeable lope in the idle. The original front suspension had long since worn out in several areas, it's coming back later in the week for a complete overhaul.

FAHV HUNNERT HORSEPOWER

I dig the paint though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

One more

Let it sink in.

:confused:

VikingSkull posted:

Crank driven, front mount superchargers with reversed cylinder heads were almost a thing back then. The superchargers more so.

Got it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Toucan Sam posted:

A buddy of mine has a 40k mile 2000 Z28 with headers and 4:11 gears that is his pride and joy. It's a nice car, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have anything on most newer cars power wise. I told him to watch out for Camry's blowin his doors off. My '06 Monte SS is quicker than his car by a bit and he's jealous of my heated seats and gas mileage. His car is loud, rides rough, and gets horrible gas mileage but open headers and your foot on the floor through three gears is still glorious even if you're not the top dog anymore.

Isn't that like a 350hp car in a 3400lb package though? Should be drat quick especially with the re-gear. Granted, it is a tupperware car so as you mention the experience is only good when it's wide open.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Weinertron posted:

So I've got two terrible cell phone pictures of a car I saw slogging it through morning gridlock on my way in to work that sounded like it has more than 8 cylinders and smelled like it had no cats. Can someone help me identify this?

Can anyone help me figure out what I'm looking at other than the world's dirtiest windshield?

I think it's a 65-67 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I'm being out AI'd by some new person at work. Yesterday they drove an old ratty VW Rabbit diesel with a bale of hay in the back, today this:

I'm feeling very inadequate here.

I'm trying to place those wheels - Ford Thunderbird?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Someone caught the new rsr out testing and holy poo poo.

Yup, looks like a Porsche.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

N is for Nipples posted:

This is only okay if you call it "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Wrangler."

On Daimler, on Chrysler, on... Fiat?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

blk posted:

"Which I named after the Lancia I rallied 40 years ago."

Why haven't you bought her an account?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Please don't.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

kastein posted:

I can only hope those are noise and abandoned vehicle complaints from the guy's HOA.

Did it with textbooks one time in HS, it covers a parking lot.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Zoom in on the toggle switches on the center of the dash.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nothing with a 305 has ever run with "the best Ferrari had to offer".

EXACTLY what I was thinking after reading that.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

angryhampster posted:

Haha that is absolutely ridiculous.

This is AWESOME

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

What are the boxes on the shock towers? Adaptive dampening?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Dislike button posted:

What are the two red cars above the F40? F50 and...Carrera GT w/o spoiler?

Enzo I think.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

SuperDucky posted:

I'm generally the least patriotic kind of American, and align with Canadians on most social issues. But the fact that they're trying to shut that thing down on his own private property is some babyback bullshit.

I think it may have to do with the fact that there are potentially going to be 2,000 people inside it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

boxen posted:

Well, it's for preppers, right? At the point where they're trying to shove 2000 people in there, the county likely has bigger problems.

No I mean for the "convention"

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

This is excellent

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

Can anyone confirm that this airs during the Amazon series? I've been watching it with my son and I feel like it would be cheating to watch this without him.

Can confirm - at the end of the last episode.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

Don't forget about the Dauer 962, the other street version of the 962! This was my childhood dream car.

I love the fact that more than one company looked at the 962 and decided that it needed to be a streetable road car.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1994-dauer-962-le-mans/

Don't forget about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuppan_962CR

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9-voINFkCg

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Just wanted to say how delightful it is to be reading about cars on a forum and having the far right universally mocked. As I'm sure you all know, this take doesn't exist in any other car forum that's even slightly US-adjacent.

Thank you all, AI rules.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

On inland lakes in Michigan you have to TRY to get pulled over. The baseline level is 12 people doing kegstands on a pontoon; as long as there are 12 life vests and one person has a drivers license and can still speak the cops don't care.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I feel strongly that if you're a millennial that grew up in the midwest the first time you rode in a car without an "adult" the car in question was either a dark green J-body or a first/second gen Chrysler minivan with the red interior.

[raises hand]

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

sneakyfrog posted:

I was at a drive in with my wife like about a week ago in nowhere michigan and an immaculate 1st gen NSX roared by with an old guy grinning from ear to ear in the drivers seat

i wanna be that old guy one day. :unsmith:

Cherry Bowl? Bright red NSX?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

sneakyfrog posted:

Not the cherry bowl, a drive in hot dog joint near paw paw

But yes immaculate red one

Oh word - there's a red one that runs between Frankfort and Traverse City all the time during the summer.

Didn't even know there was a drive in near Paw Paw...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Humphreys posted:

Road & Track Presents: The Need For Speed

Wow what a flashback. At the time I couldn't believe the graphics were possible.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I'll offer that while I really have had a good experience with Liberty Mutual, they literally told me once "call us every few years and ask if we can lower your premiums".

This was after calling them about something else and finding out that randomly they could cut my monthly bill by hundreds of dollars. WTF.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, we haven't had to make a claim ... that's really where you learn the quality of your insurer.

This so much. Wife's car got hit, car totalled, she had injuries, Liberty Mutual took care of everything (including all medical) no questions asked and paid us out extremely fairly for the car. Nice people to talk to as well.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Late 90s early 00s ford, mostly. But there are others in the style.
See the 3rd and 4th gen taurus for max jellybean

Comes from Lee Iacoca putting down the 1st gen taurus as a "jelly bean car".

When even the radio is an oval you know you've reached peak jellybean! ;D

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

kill me now posted:

I don't understand how those rear wheels work. There has to be some expansion on the tires at speed and there is no clearance whatsoever with the fenders.

Suspension setup to "climb" on acceleration?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

In that pic the velocity stacks are like AI fingers

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

BalloonFish posted:

The real fun (and strategy) of 2CV racing is that because power is still so low and the car still had the aerodynamics of a brick, momentum is vital and slipstreaming is key to maintaining it. You often get strings of 4 or 5 2CVs inches off each others' bumpers on straights, then at a corner the one at the back will break out, hoping that it can slingshot past the file. They all do this in sequence from the rear, leading to multiple cars in line-abreast, virtually touching wing mirrors in the corners.

Can I watch this somewhere?!?

Edit: I'm dumb video is above

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't want you to doxx yourself but also being in Michigan I'm real curious. Pm?

Second

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Cool like Roadkill cars are cool? Functional but very rough?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Saukkis posted:

There's a reason why snow and ice racing usually use thin wheels.

Yeah and there's 8 of 'em there!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Edit: also I know youtube thread but Tony has got his hands on an old NASCAR engine that has had some fettling by a drag racer and it's quite spicy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtLJdOCDNAI

I was so worried when it wasn't working right. A potential $12k coffee table YIKES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Just walked out of my hotel to go get lunch and I was greeted by royalty

I’d never seen it in person before. It’s way bigger than I imagined. The plate, of course, is my favorite part.

Went to see one recently, plate was:

RELSHME

:discourse: