Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm here for the Horrible Mechanical Failures thread. There were a lot more things in there besides car failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rujo King posted:

Going back to bizarre car finishes for a moment, if I took my steel hood, stripped it down and polished it up, would I theoretically be able to use a bluing process as is employed in gun finishing? Because having a blued steel Subaru would be absolutely bitching, theoretically speaking of course.

I would unironically like to hear more about this idea, that sounds cool as gently caress :haw:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

Not sure if this belongs in this thread or not.

God is apparently a pretty lovely rally navigator.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Root Bear posted:

Also, I found this "lug wrench" while cleaning up around the shop:

:iia:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Misplaced Yankee posted:

I received one of the best notes in my life outside of a Kmart parking lot from a car diagonally parked. The rear end in a top hat parked in three spaces up near the front. So I parked on top of him, boxing his drivers side door in. I took a quick picture of his license plate and parking job for "if the enraged new owner of a Camaro attacks" and went it. It was like a five paragraph rant on the back of a McDonald's receipt. It was awesome.

You said you took a pic and there is no pic in this post what is wrong with you :catstare:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Wipers, turn signal, horn, I've done it all and I do it often.

It's a hell of a thing when I get all three going at once, but that run got me the class win that day so I don't mind so much anymore.

I did have to replace the turn signal stalk shortly thereafter though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The BMW toolkit in the trunk should have a metal rod with a plastic end that goes in the hub to use as an alignment/hanger stud when changing your wheels.

Personally I just bought the VAC 90mm stud kit for my E30 since it took my 20m wheel change time down to about 5m at the AutoX course :smug:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

I was reading the thought process behind lug bolts vs studs. Apparently lug bolts are less likely to come loose while driving like a lug nut with stud can. Lug bolts are self tightening.

The real problem I have with bolts is that it takes longer to change wheels in a race setting and the constant in-out in same setting can wear out hub threads. Hubs are a lot harder to change as opposed to extracting a worn out stud from a threaded hub.

Press-fit stud-hub guys are just hosed but they have at least have studs so the battle is mostly won.

jammyozzy posted:

The trick with that, as I've learnt with both my old VWs, is to wait for the rotor to rust itself onto the hub so it can't rotate, and then fit the wheel. Works like a charm. :eng99:

I didn't realise how much of a bollocks wheel bolts were until I bought my Miata and had a :aaa: moment at how much easier studs are.

The best thing about good bulletnose studs is zipping the nuts on with the cordless after you hang the wheel like a :frogc00l: race pro

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 20, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yes perhaps he should have written "I'm sure someone I know has something gay like that" but for christ sake...

Goons... :cripes:

Let's go back to doing something less gay like discussing studs and nuts :iamafag:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
"LEATHER EXTERIOR, BRUSHED ALUMINUM INTERIOR"

"Wait, isn't that backwards?"

"Nope" :downsgun:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure only someone grossly handicapped (:downs:) could have managed to park that badly.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Fox bodies are loving awesome you uncultured swine :commissar:

Proof:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Kenshin posted:

That looks like a car the redneck version of a ricer would drive.

I imagine the owner being a PFC in the Army, where he's been for the past five years because he can't get promoted to Cpl.

Wait, no, it says USAAF on it, so no the Army. Airman, perhaps?

It's decorated for a special event my SCCA Region does every year to commemorate Pearl Harbor; it's an Allies v. Axis themed thing. I couldn't find any pictures of the new paintjob and fenders he's got on it now.

EDIT: Nevermind, found one!

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 31, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

neckbeard posted:

a block over from my place - redneck done wrong

"Goddamn Imperialist bastards, get over it, you lost the war"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

InitialDave posted:

You learned to keep fire extinguishers in the White House yet?

:golfclap:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

So tempted.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
And you thought they smelled bad on the outside uncooked!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
To be fair, had he been in racecar it would have jostled the hell out of his wrists. Had he tucked a thumb he could have had that broken as well.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Though I am kinda wondering why they built up a D16 for any other reason than to say "Real men only need one cam".

"Rock out with your SOHC out" :rock:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

echoplex posted:

This will warm your heart then:

http://vimeo.com/42983057

:gizz:

That motor sounds absolutely sexual.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I personally love the new Mustang. The front end looks fantastic.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

In their defense...

quote:

On a lifted truck or SUV, you’ll need to be extra careful when adapting your vehicle’s HIDs for use on the road. HID headlights must aim a fair amount lower than typical headlights, as when aimed at the usual target they can be blinding to oncoming traffic. As lifted trucks and SUVs sit higher off the road than your standard passenger car, the aiming adjustment must be made even more carefully. Though this isn’t a difficult feat to accomplish, it’s something that must be accounted for in order to maintain safe driving experiences for everyone.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Crustashio posted:

Took this the other day but forgot about it. :canada:

Is that a hockey goal stuffed in the trunk of a sedan? :black101: WRONG THREAD

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Team140 posted:

Saw this today in traffic.

"Keep Clear of This Vehicle" placard at the hitch and nitrous and jesus bumper stickers to round everything out.

It's Gainesville, are you really that surprised? If it wasn't for UF that place would still be absolutely swimming in hicks. Not that it isn't not swimming in hicks now anyways...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pj8QKTvRTQ

Cliffs: ferrari parked in a handicap spot by a non handicapped (except mentally, it seems) owner, pee pranked by some dude and assaulted for it.

Totally unrelated to AI but this was in related and this poo poo cracked me the hell up: http://youtu.be/xilrvBZoSOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I hope he doesn't have to have his passenger crawl out of the windshield to shift gears :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Kill-9 posted:

Came out of the house to go to work yesterday and found this waiting for me.

Someone had violated Snowball, my '91 Range Rover Classic. She's a Great Divide Edition - #101 of 400.

I had video of my front yard from that time but it only shows my truck jumping forward. Not enough to see the attacker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdTqfrcu7k

loving, poo poo poo poo poo poo....No note on the truck either. Looking closer we found an interesting piece of debris. I'm pretty sure this didn't come off my truck.

While I talked to the police, my 16 year old son hopped on his bike and started following the trail of parts. I got a call 5 minutes later "I found the truck! I found the one that hit your Rover!". I told him to book it home and we drove over together, camera in hand. We found this when we arrived.

I think we found the guilty party. That missing badge looks like it might fit the part I have back home. I called 911 and parked down the block to watch. A cruiser showed up a few minutes later and I told my story. He explained there's not much he can do legally but I might be able to pursue him in civil court if needed. He said he wanted to look at their truck and would meet me back at my place.

15 minutes later he shows up with a smile on his face. He pulls a piece of paper out of his booklet and hands it to me. It has the guy's full insurance info. When the cop was there the guy walked out and confessed immediately. He said he knew hit 'hit something small last night' and planned on coming over in the morning to see what happened. You believe that poo poo, don't you? Neither did I or the cop. The cop said he could haul him off for hit-and-run if I decided to press charges. I didn't at this point. As long as his insurance company pays up I'll be satisfied. Mostly. I can take solace in the fact that he's an independent contractor and his work truck is now hosed up.

Looks like I have a summer project on my hands now. Time for upgrades. New tire carrier bumper I always wanted and, after replacing the panels, the new paint just she desperately needs. It's hard for a shop to paint match 23+ years of oxidation from Texas sun. I'll also have my shop go over the drivetrain with a fine-toothed comb. All that shock was taken up by the transfer case and tranny. I don't wanna be driving down the highway at 80MPH and have a something go boom.

His insurance company has already mentioned the word "totaled". When I meet with them later today I'll have a pile of receipts for the new motor I had built and dropped in last year. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid.

I just went through all that poo poo with another insurance company. Those receipts don't mean poo poo to them, but just don't settle and they'll come around eventually.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
At least he took the wipers off to spray them.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I rode around hoodless in the Volvo for a few days after repairing damage from a deer strike because I hadn't been able to find a hood. Luckily PnP got a "brand new" 240 three days later with a pretty mint white hood to match my "new" white fender.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
IIRC Doccers is putting a hardwood floor in the back of his Volvo.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428752&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post416796245

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

You Am I posted:

Still want to drive that abortion over a speedhump quickly and hear the noise as the suspension collapses in hilarious fashion

By remote control, maybe. I don't want to be impaled through the plywood floor by some abortion of a control arm propelled by a spring freeing itself from a lovely booger weld.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

No I'm 100% serious. I want to drive that so hard. Judging by his avatar it was finished? Am I not in the know about this..

E: found it. Marvelous.

And then you don't post a pic or link, shame on you

Build thread here.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
5er or a 7, 80s-90s era.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Why are we avoiding the best convertibles, Miata/S2000?

Hell, you don't get much that's easier to work on than a Miata.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It actually looks pretty drat cool in the pictures.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Budget Monty posted:

This happened on the way home from work tonight to my beloved daily driver, I feel it belongs here (Stopped at red light, driver not paying attention):

Taken just a few days ago:

I don't know quite how you suffered him to live. I was madder than a hornet's nest when the loving minivan hauled rear end out in front of my E30, and it was a hunk of junk. I can't imagine...

Glad to hear it will be fixed!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

I got honked at, raged at, and the guy went all button mashy on his headlight switch too because I had the gall to switch to the left lane in front of a Maserati.

Was going along at a nice clip in the left lane, someone came up behind me so I moved over to let them past. They passed me, I moved back over to follow them. The Maserati driver was unamused even though there was plenty of space and he'd been following the person I just let by, so it wasn't like I was going way slower than him when I got in front.

So he raged out, then the next chance he got, passed us both on the right doing well over 90. Both I and the person I'd just let by decided that meant he was going to catch radar for us, so we followed him at a reasonable distance...

He had NY plates. Surprised? I'm not.

This is the best way to cruise on the interstate at high speed; piss off some uptight person and let them go beat the bushes for you.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I used my roof rack on my E30 to transport race tires to AutoX. I would line em up and stick a pole through the centerbores and then strap that to the racks. Solid as a rock, but a rather tremendous airdam for a decent hit to MPG (from 20-22 down to 16 or so when driving to the site... ouch)

Also another manly man chiming in that axe and/or chisel and sledge is the way to do it for splitting. I got good enough at splitting that even my pansy brother would sit in a chair next to the splitting stump and hold pieces with his hand for me to split. The worst he ever got it was a rather nasty splinter when a piece of oak split rather... violently.

The trick is to let the mass of the axe head do all the work for splitting; then again, I was using like a 3-4lb axe head and I sharpened the motherfucker to a razor's edge before every splitting or cutting session. The only time you should really be putting any real muscle into an axe swing is when you're chopping something down.

I used to have some pretty goddamn fantastic shoulders. I still do, kinda, but the arms have gone a bit soft. Goddamn desk life :argh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Just a reminder. The left lane is for doing 1mph over the speed limit.

These are the people you share a road with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahahaha. Here is the motorcycle equivalent: Ninja 250 at Laguna Seca vs liter bikes and poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

Thank you for posting this; the lines of the 250 rider were absolutely beautiful and to watch him eat up the other riders in the corners was great.