Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

"You're an escaped kidnap victim constantly living in terror that your abductor will return and terrorize you. Everything you ever loved and knew is gone forever. Have fun!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Holy poo poo. That schedule is sure...unlikely. If they stick to it, I'm going to have soooo little money.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Is there a list of Blood and Smoke preview rules and disciplines up somewhere? I'd like to use some of it in a one-shot I'll be running in a couple of weeks but I don't know where to find it all.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

You know about Unknown Armies, right? It's basically Tim Powers the RPG.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

It sent chains of sequential catastrophes cascading into both the past and future, but the Exarchs in their munificence rotated the entire disaster ninety degrees through time, so that an entire imaginary number line of apocalypses appears to us to be a singular event, all right

I don't have any idea if this is in a book or just something you came up with, but I'm stealing it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Here is Stovetop posted:

No Trolls here only us Redcaps.

But your title isn't red and all caps. :confused:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

My god you have bad musical taste.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

My group had a special snowflake player. He was a great guy and he was honestly a great player but pretty much every game we had three grizzled badasses and a teenage girl with some creepy darkness or mind control power set.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I know there was some mention of Blood and Smoke having an update on New Orleans post-Katrina. Did that ever materialize anywhere?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

What you do is, you make all actions a werewolf in war form takes that don't threaten death rage have the 8-again quality. Also, you ensure that the war form's natural weapons are either inherently equal to or trivially upgradeable to the same level of lethality as the best mundane weapons, i.e. they deal +5L on the offense.

The Apocalypse war form is insanely lame. The spirits should feel either bone-deep disgust or blood-freezing terror when they see a werewolf in the war form, and at least a tinge of disquiet when they see dalu or urshul. Flesh and spirit aren't supposed to combine like that!

Can you elaborate on this a little bit? I'm new to WtF so I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "actions that don't threaten Death Rage."

What other mechanical changes did you make to war form? I'm planning on running a one-shot for a group of people who've played Apocalypse, but don't know anything about Forsaken. They're going to expect old fashioned Crinos murderbeasts, and they're going to get pretty ok fighter guys and I am not going to sell them on the nWoD this way.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm working on an "After the End" WoD game where the various gameline ends happened and wrecked the world into a post-apocalyptic state. What exactly happened is unclear and up to the characters to discover, if they want. I realized when I was reading around that this would be a perfect way to combine the best aspects of Old and New WoD. For example, fragmenting the Camarilla and Sabbat into new, smaller sects, getting rid of Generation and introducing Blood Potency, probably because the Antediluvians were either destroyed or left the Earth, etc. I'm probably going to go with the NWoD system using the various translation guides.

Does anyone have any ideas I should use? Is this a fool's errand?

I've got a soft spot for House Fortunae, from the Order of Hermes Tradition book. If you're going to use the Traditions with nMage rules, you could do worse than elevating these guys to a full Tradition of Chaos-theory numerologists and giving them Fate and letting the Euthanatos keep Death. It talks about how their goal is to become a full Tradition in the book, and for some reason that idea has stuck with me for a long time.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

That all sounds pretty cool. I'm looking forward to this book. :)

Also, I realize this is old news, but what is this I don't even

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

You could probably get some mileage out of writing about the persistence of the fan-base and the community mods angle, too.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Doodmons posted:

Case closed.

What is this from?

Another player in the Vampire game I'm in is playing a Gorgon. I just know she's going to turn into a giant snake, and I know it won't help.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

As someone who unironically likes both Tool and Mage, I am terrible and have terrible taste.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm honestly not sure what a really old werewolf would look like. I mean, most people die from illness, but I don't think werewolves even get sick. Parts might keep failing and then regenerating. I suppose you'd want to stay out of your native form as much as possible to keep the regeneration going.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Solus posted:

Mage
very low powered

I believe someone made some kind of mistake here.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Well, you're going to need a magic retard.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

There was a really great story in the Blood and Smoke anthology about that, in which the Roman legionnaire from the Rome book's fiction wakes up in the modern nights and is both utterly unstoppably powerful and totally confused and out of it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I couldn't get through the opening to that. Also the goth chick. I'm kinda glad I didn't back m20, but if the rules are good/different from MRev I might buy it I guess.

Disclaimer: I haven't read V20 or W20 so I don't know if rules changes are even a thing they're doing. I saw that 1's still subtract from successes and botches are still a thing so :shrug:.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Played the first session of our Geist game tonight. Good god this game is half-assed and broken.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Dave Brookshaw posted:

You only need Mind.

I hope this is spelled out very clearly in the Fallen World Chronicle because my group will argue about poo poo like this for hours.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

A thing I liked about the Book of the Wyrm is that they do that thing wherein they make oblique reference to other chronicles without directly making the connection, eg the "Inquisitors", who are assumed to be Wyrm creatures (and apparently reek of it) but are described in such a way that they are pretty clearly supposed to be Angels. I feel like you could formulate a decent long-term campaign out of some inevitable confrontation between the God Machine (which is perverse and cruel but ultimately creative and self-perpetuating) and the Wyrm (which aims to destroy everything and leave a void).

I'm confused. Does the God Machine exist in OWoD now or does the Wyrm exist in NWoD?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I Googled Mark to see what he's been up to since I don't follow this stuff that much these days. Apparently he's making a zombie game the premise of which sounds like a lame White Wolf rip-off game, but the art style and mechanics are pretty cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/make-believegames/i-am-zombie-field-manual-rpgx

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Kavak posted:

Well at least I can confirm he's a shithead. Who is this guy anyway, and why were his reviews notable?

Kavak posted:

he's a shithead.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

laser-guided angelic baby murderers.

Wait, they stole my character concept? !

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

moths posted:

rap werewolves, etc.

Kinda wanna play this.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

IIRC, Geoff Grabowski and Rebecca Borgstrom of Exalted infamy were also characters in that one.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Yeah, I'd say it's a -2 penalty to do pretty much anything requiring vision or concentration or not looking like a weirdo spaz if you're trying to actively avoid meeting someone's eyes in conversation. The vampire might be able to trick you or force you to look at his eyes, and if he has presence too you're hosed.

Also, and this is situational, but if you're avoiding looking in the vampire's eyes it is probably obvious to the vampire and anyone paying attention that you know the person you're talking to is a vampire, you know or suspect correctly that they can Dominate you, and you think it's a likely outcome of a conversation with them. This can have repercussions all on it's own, depending on who you are and why you're talking to this guy in the first place. If you're a vampire too he might be insulted, or he might think you're a little beta bitch. If you are or appear to be a mortal he might decide you're a hunter and just fuckin' try to kill you.

Also yes, closing your eyes will work flawlessly against Dominate and is a great idea and the vampire really hopes you do that and it will not make you easy to kill or humiliate in any way.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 31, 2014

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I had a GM once give us a set of background questions with the best of intentions, except that we realized that we couldn't even answer most of them about our actual selves.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm trying to remember them. It was oddly specific things that most people wouldn't really have a point of reference for. It was stuff like "Name a time in your life you were completely, perfectly happy." But that wasn't one of them.

This is going to drive me crazy. I dug up my email conversation with the GM but it doesn't have the questions.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I thought ones stopped cancelling out successes way back in VRev. It's been like a zillion years now so I might be remembering wrong.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

ulmont posted:

1s definitely cancel successes out in both Vampire Revised and Vampire 20th.

You're right, I just went and checked. Well my group did it wrong for a long time and it was totally fine. :shrug:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm terrible at probability stuff (Deep Southern US school system :downs:) but IIRC the TN 8 with rerolling 10s in nWoD gives roughly 1/3rd of a success per die.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

What would neolithic vampire even be, just hanging out in caves like Charles Dance in that Dracula movie?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

My favorite LARP thing is the bar where the Camarilla and Sabbat both hang out but they aren't allowed to fight in it because it's Elysium and the Prince is sooooo powerful nobody dares break the rules so everyone just sits around and does accents at each other.

I fuckin' hate LARP.

EDIT: Also as a new player in a Camarilla LARP a couple of years ago I thought it was great how all the powerful badasses (like three guys) would go off with the Storyteller (who also had his own powerful badass character) to do cool plotting and scheming stuff and all the rest of us would just sit around talking about tv shows or whatever because we had no involvement with anything and the Storyteller was in the other room jerking off the other luminaries so we couldn't start anything happening anyway.

I really hate LARP.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 11, 2015

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

One thing that I noticed about my Camarilla experience was that all of the high-XP veterans had most of the XP because they were Storytellers/Assistant Storytellers/Secretaries/Other Bullshit Titles. Or they had XP from bringing in new players. Or taking online tests. Or bringing snacks. So basically even if they killed their main guy and brought in a new character, he'd still have a few hundred XP.

LARPing in general may not be poo poo, but the Camarilla in particular was absolutely total poo poo, and I sincerely loving doubt that whatever those same people are doing now is any less poo poo.

I'd go so far as to say that a local, independant game that can actually exclude assholes and morons and can have actual change occur is probably really cool. I despair of finding 20 nerds in one place that aren't morons or assholes, so I'll stick to tabletop.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

My Forsaken lore is kind of weak, but maybe that's just The Way It's Supposed To Be? Werewolves aren't built to murder each other, they're built to murder everything else. Gauru isn't for dominance displays and showing off, it's for totally murdering the gently caress out of dangerous poo poo. Throwing two of these things against each other might just do absolutely nothing until they shift away from that form or violate The Way It's Supposed To Be and start eating each other.

It also provides Uratha a way to deal with other Uratha in Death Rage. Assuming one werewolf goes all Deathrage at a bad time and everyone else doesn't follow suit (Haven't read the new rules so I don't know how unlikely that is) they could use Gauru to grapple and restrain him, or just let him wail on them until he snaps out of it. I'm not sure how well the new rules support that idea, though.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Yeah, I really have no problem with the idea that Gauru is a hurricane and you don't fight it, you run and take cover. If you slam two hurricanes into each other the point of the scene is not which hurricane wins, it's holy poo poo be somewhere else.

If you don't think of them as "werewolves, only bigger" and start thinking of them as "the platonic ideal of rage made manifest" it makes more sense that they don't really get hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm just like, really not able to grasp why this is a problem for you. No, two invulnerable things banging together don't get hurt. I don't understand why you think they should.

Yes, we used to have this in previous versions of werewolf, which were either using a completely different system and setting assumptions about what werewolves are, or they were first edition forsaken and they sucked.

You also keep framing it as "When two werewolves fight, nothing happens" which isn't true. When two werewolves fight, in gauru form specifically, they are not reliably able to harm one another with their natural weapons and without additional magic. They are however giant frenzied hellbeasts that slam into each other, roaring and snarling. Any mortals nearby will freak the gently caress out. The two Gauru may go into Death Rage and attack other more vulnerable things, if they aren't in Death Rage already. The ST will probably describe the scenery being destroyed, although admittedly there aren't rules for that. It's a great big spectacle that yes doesn't leave many serious wounds or permanently disable either opponent. If the intent is to destroy the other werewolf, there are tools to do that like eating bits of them for essence or using Gifts or silver. More likely werewolves intending to actually murder other werewolves just don't use Gauru because it isn't a good tool for that, and that's actually ok.

If you don't like it it's easy enough to just say "Gauru do agg" like in WW:tA and it's all better. Is there any particular reason that would be a bad idea in Forsaken?

• Locked thread