Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I knew a little boy named Indianna-Tiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Vidaeus posted:

Justice Winlaw - family friend.

The star of the next Ace Attorney game.

Used to work with a little girl named Ebony. White as a ghost. Sadly I have no information on whether she had a sister named Ivory.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Uncle Salty posted:

This is a list of baby names which the site calls, kindly, 'unusual'.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_unusual-baby-names-of-2012_10375911.bc

I post it here only because 'Fedora' is on the list, for girls.

Gilmore. Joshitha. Shoog. :psyduck:

My friend's middle name is Jazzi. He was named after the dog.

I know a kid who has a long, difficult African name, which is shortened to a pretty great and simple nickname, so that's fine. His surname is Bowels. Pronounced as you'd expect. :smith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Coffee And Pie posted:

In addition, there is a very nice lady who comes into the store where I work all the time, named Beryl.

Oh you mean the legit and common (if old-fashioned) name?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Gaelic names are amazing. I once met someone called Aoibheann, pronounced Ay-veen. :3:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

KillHour posted:

:raise:

The "poo poo that didn't happen" thread is over there.

Whoooooosh.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Say Nothing posted:

Anyone notice an excess of recurring names lately?

Working in a daycare, I know a thousand toddlers called Alfie and Isabella. Evie is crazy popular too.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

uglynoodles posted:

The other that I know is Perpigilian

Is it Perpugilliam? Because that's from 70's Doctor Who. I'm not sure what's better, having that name or having it spelled wrong.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I've seen a lot of bad baby names but my absolute favourite so far is Brocleigh.

Broc-lee.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I still think Sepp Blatter is the worst name out of all the names. Or maybe the best. It sounds like a Hitchhiker's Guide character and I smile every time I see someone mention him.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

CJacobs posted:

'Daquantrius' sounds like a math term.

"Alright, class, after you sum up da' hypotenuse, next you need to find da' quantrius of the adjacent sides."

Black people :stare:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

This rules.

Poor Calup, though. :smith: It sounds like a polite word for pooping.

Probably pronounced like Caleb. With a p.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Istari posted:

Nope, it's an uncommon spice; I doubt you'll guess it (unless you go through a list).
I'd post it, but a google search of the two spices brings up an article for the siblings.

Asafoetida.

Just tell us guy.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Old schoolfriend of mine, a very white girl, named her three kids Swailey (boy), Latavia (girl), and Teighan (boy). The last one isn't so bad I guess. I don't know where Swailey came from.

This is the most English thing I've ever seen and I'm English. Biggles, Posie and Tuppence. I'd hope it was real, but Biggles will have a really hard life. :(

eating only apples has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Nov 14, 2014

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Lotish posted:

And I just now got a file with a guy named Asian.

And his last name is a normal first name, so it's like "Asian John" or "Asian Michael."

I work with a Hungarian lady whose surname is a Hungarian word meaning "Hungarian".

She's Anna Hungarian, the Hungarian.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm a preschool teacher and can confirm that while for the last few years the name trend has been [name]-Mae, this year it's Lilly[name] or [name]-Lilly. Two L's.

Got the jackpot with a kid called Lillymae.

Also in my class: Rafferty. And for some reason a bunch of kids called Ethan, which is not a name you expect a small child to have.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's not just a hipster thing. Names go in cycles. By the time a generation grows up and starts having kids, the folks with what their parents considered old people names have died off. So those names just sound like less common names to the folks actually having kids. The result is that every generation throughout history hates the names given to "kids these days."

You can actually find rants from any decade you please going back centuries saying the same poo poo that people in this thread say about names now, right down to unique snowflake spellings and people named after fictional characters.

On the other hand I read a thing lately that said 3 out of 4 of my grandparents' names are in danger of dying out in the UK: Maureen, Geoffrey, and Derek. I quite like Geoffrey at least. The 4th is Shirley and I love the idea of a baby named Shirley.

Old people names are going strong among the preschoolers here. Alfie, Archie - never Alfred or Archibald, of course - but Albert, yes. I've worked with a Jonty and a Monty and a Margaret. Arthur. Barney. Mary. A Hazel, an Ivy, and half a dozen Florences. Matilda, Martha, Miriam.

Honestly at this point they either have old people names or weird double hyphenated Kaytlynn names.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

How did she know how Philosophie was spelt??

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Donny :chloe:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
The simplicity of Mike Diaper is hard to beat

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

rodbeard posted:

I saw the hyphenated last name Love-Howe.

Baby won't hurt me

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Child actress in a tv show: Connie-Kiss Mee

Poor kid.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I think these are Duggars!

Jinjer is. Jorja's the CSI actress

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

The MSJ posted:

She's 50 this year, which really made me realize how long ago the original CSI debuted.

Wow, she looks years younger, good for her. Yeah CSI is real old now and that's weird

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

itsameta4 posted:

Man how are you all not freaking out about this actual Abcde thing?? I keep waiting for a Snopes link that will never come...

It's really surprisingly not uncommon, there was another kid called that in the news a few years ago because her service dog wasn't allowed somewhere, or something like that. Lots of little Abcdes out there for some reason.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I really, really like Syncere Friends. What a nice person :kimchi:

(don't google him)

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Ecclesiastical Denzel Washington. Holy moly.

That's amazing too.

(or him)

eating only apples has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Mar 30, 2019

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

What anime is Saizo Kai from?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Sorry, but I know a three year old child called Gary, and that's just awful.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Former colleague just named her daughter Murphy :(

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

That's a Duggar name. They struggled with J girl names real quick

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

YeahTubaMike posted:

Oh drat, I felt the melanin drain out of my hair as I read this :corsair:

edit: Espeon isn't even the best Eevee evolution though, ugh

Yeah but Leafeon is a much worse name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
An acquaintance recently had a daughter and told me her name was Eritrea. Unusual! I quite like it though.

Until I learned it was spelled Erritreiyer.