Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zarfol posted:

I just picked up Assassin's Creed 4 for the Wii U @ $29.99 (I have an Xbone as well, but better graphics aren't worth $30 more for me).

So far it looks great with only minor frame rate issues.

Nintendo needs to hurry the hell up with Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, and a New Zelda game. Hoping that will bring a revival to the system. A multiplayer Metroid game similar to Halo would be great, but I don't know if that would get as popular.

Metroid Prime: Hunters was basically this with lovely online, and it sold about 750k if vgchartz (lol) is to be believed, and it was on the DS where there were like 130 games that sold over a million copies.

We're lucky that they make Metroid games at all, they all sell like poo poo. The closest we're gonna get to a new Metroid game is that minigame from Nintendoland :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm trying to download MH3U and it's agonizingly slow. Is anyone else getting slow speeds? I was able to download demos for Wonderful 101 and ZombiU pretty quick the other day, so I was wondering if it might just be Nintendo's servers.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Holy gently caress. How did they figure that since the stupid characters and their dumb "stories" were the worst part about the other Sonic games, that they should make a spinoff that focused entirely on the stupid characters and making even dumber stories?

It's pretty loving funny though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Macaluso posted:

If they were literally just those pictures with those same words but as captions underneath no one would think twice about them. But because they are in meme form they make people frothing raging mad and that's the funniest part

Yeah. These are amazing. loving with nerds is probably the objectively best thing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

There are Single Player games available, play some of those.

It's fun to play some of the games like the Zelda one or Metroid one before you get depressed because these good, fun ideas will never get expanded to full games.

It sort of feels like Nintendo used up all the imagination for the game pad on Nintendo Land and now nobody will ever do anything interesting with it again.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

elf help book posted:

I hope it's Wii Music U.

I hope a truck hits you.

More asymmetric multiplayer would be great. Nintendo Land has some good stuff, but I'd really like to see more.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Megaman X controls for sure.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheQat posted:

Guys like Sakurai and Konno think "game balance" means "making sure everyone gets a chance to win" not "the most skilled person wins"

I mean, I'm getting and playing the poo poo out of MK8, but that really seems to be what they think

The blue shell is also a real balance tool, though. In Mario Kart if you're in first you are protected from a lot of poo poo. You're not in the middle of the pack getting slowed down by getting hit with triple red shells or people in front of you dropping green shells or bananas or fake item boxes, or getting hit by bullet bills or people with stars. If you're in first you might have one guy behind you throwing a single red shell you can easily block. The blue shell evens out the field a bit because otherwise if you pull out in front you're going to be moving at a faster average rate than all the people getting constantly hosed over since almost nothing can touch you.

If there's a blue shell coming out every second then yeah it'd be too much, and that's why it should come out at a tuned rate, but to say that the blue shell is totally random bullshit is pretty short sighted.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Predictions: No online, and now when you trip, your character breaks their neck and dies instantly.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Honestly the only bad thing about Kirby Superstar, for me at least, is that's it's made every Kirby game that's come out since seem pretty underwhelming.

Canvas Curse is the best Kirby game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm about to start Metroid Prime Trilogy. I played 1 back when it first came out but gave up. Anything I should know other then SCAN EVERYTHING?

Make sure to play any games you feel ambivalent about first, because Prime 1 is loving amazing and will ruin other, lesser games for you.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The Light Suit is also the coolest suit. Prime 2 definitely isn't as good as 1 but it's still fantastic.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Thank god, I can finally add a Zelda game to the list of games that are embarrassing to own.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Purple D. Link posted:

The main villain of Oracle of Ages.

My god, don't let the children see.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I have a pretty simple criteria: if my mom walked in and saw what I was playing, would I be embarrassed?

That character would make the answer "very yes."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

If Groose isn't playable there is no justice in the world.

Groose was the real hero of Skyward Sword. He didn't have any stupid magical powers or fate or whatever, he was just some random guy who saved everyone by being a sweet dude.

Groose forever.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Try learning what that word means before you actually use it. :)

Congratulations, not only are you an idiot, but you are also a condescending idiot, the actual worst kind of idiot. Good job!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man posted:

The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" implies an adversarial, polemic, or combative debate, and creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then to refute or defeat that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition.

Alteisen posted:

Nope, just a bunch of goons tripping over each other to see who can pretend to be offended the fastest over virtual tits.

Unsurprisingly, people do object to things that are objectionable, instead of just pretending to! It's almost as if you're saying that the people you're disagreeing with are being disingenuous, which is not the argument they're making, and therefore their position is untenable. The very definition of a straw man argument.

Dumbass.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you don't have Nintendo Land and you have friends in real life, buy Nintendo Land. The local multiplayer games in it are the best.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
That game's going to have no online, guaranteed.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The best game on Wii U is upscaled Metroid Prime but that's sort of unfair.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

Stupid question: Is there a benefit to playing Metroid Prime Trilogy on a Wii U rather than an original Wii with component cables? Is HDMI noticeably clearer?

I'm very tempted by the Wii U Mario Kart bundle, especially since I don't own a wiimote+, but I'm currently in the middle of MPT so I haven't bitten yet. I mean, I guess I have until July to take advantage of the free game deal, anyway, but I'm curious.

Not really noticeable. You'd need to compare them side by side to maybe be able to tell, but any system you can play Metroid Prime on is going to be the best game for that system. I certainly wouldn't buy a Wii U just for that if you already have a Wii.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't get it just for HDMI. I'm interested in all the big Wii U games. I just would feel dumb buying it right now and then using it to continue my playthrough of MP before moving on to a native Wii U game.

But then you could play it using the tablet as a screen and since it's tinier the graphics look better :pcgaming:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Metroid Prime is the One True Retro series, I'll cut you fcuker

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I dunno what your standards for video games are if you think Metroid Prime is bland and uninteresting.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

A game where you don't spend 90% of the time walking around and 10% shooting at bugs?

I'm just poking the beehive at this point though.

Well, obviously. The relatively slow pace is a legitimate issue with the game, not that I think it's inherently bad, it just might not be for you. To say the visuals are boring is, however, either disingenuous or an indicator of unreasonably high standards. The art direction of the game is phenomenal.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Just wait till you get to Phendrana Drifts - The first true "WOW" moment and arguably the Trilogy's greatest area.

100% agree. The music and atmosphere in that area is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbUv1hz6mE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE6mgczeQRo

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Giving the player who got the most points on the last level a crown turns everyone into monsters.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Macaluso posted:

The level where you get that potted piranha plant should probably just be disabled in multiplayer :v:

The worst one we had was the one where the platforms flip where you jump. Oh jesus.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I understand that the chance of Nintendo announcing on Tuesday that Retro is working on a Metroid game for the Wii U is 0%, but I'm going to hope for it and get let down anyway :smith:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah, Majora's Mask definitely had the best world. The Bomber's Notebook was a really cool part of the game, it really got you invested in everything. Beyond that one I actually liked Twilight Princess's setting quite a bit.

Skyward Sword was soulless poop. The only redeeming feature of the world was Groose. All hail Groose, best Zelda character forever and the one true hero.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

greatn posted:

It looked more like the framerate is normal, but there are no interstitial animations between poses, like literally replacing the Mario graphics with the equivalent models.

This seems right to me, it seems to go from standing to leg in the air really jankily, whatever on 8 bit, jarring with 3D models

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

Page late, but if you wanna play Kid Icarus Uprising, try to pick up that old lanyard that Nintendo used to sell for the DS. It makes the weirdo control scheme actually a breeze to play with since the thumb strap essentially just turns the touchscreen into a really large right control stick.

They're kind of hard to find now I think though, so good luck with that.

I still have mine because I'm not a loser :smug:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Live twitch works but you can't watch archives

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Setting up my Wii U, why isn't it letting me transfer my 3DS Mii? If I do it over wifi my 3DS says "This mii cannot be sent" and the Wii U says that it "cannot be received", and it also doesn't like the QR code that my 3DS spits out. Anyone run into this? Google isn't being very helpful.

e: My mii has both sharing and copying turned on before anyone asks.

If you're moving a Mii that's associated with a Nintendo Network ID, I believe you need to do this process: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1670

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

Holy poo poo 3D World is the best mario game I have played since originally buying SMRPG at release. I haven't tried single player yet, but had a friend over last weekend and it was so much fun running around as cats and trying to throw him off ledges and at one point I got an awesome super big mario powerup and it was the greatest moment in my recent gaming history.

gently caress getting infuriated playing League of Legends with four mouthbreathers on my team, Nintendo games are so chill and fun well that's all I got, bye.

Kill your friends, take their crowns

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there an easy way to farm coins for unlocks in Mario Kart?

Play with 3 friends in local multiplayer. Everyone's coins count towards the total.

Edit: I'll kill you

Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 19, 2014

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Yaoi Mandel posted:

im going to watch plex on my wii u today. Hell, i might even play some games on it too.

Play Mario Kart with goons

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Yaoi Mandel posted:

im going to finish up this season of Louie while I fold laundry and clean my room. After that, well I just might play some Mario Kart

add wulgus for fun and games

Go do this thing http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638782

Sockser posted:

I want to take advantage of the Target B2G1 but I don't know what to even get.

I've got:
Wind Waker
Pikmin
ZombiU
SM3DW
MarioKart
Wonderful 101
and uhhh Wii Party U or whatever it's called from the MarioKart deal

I want Donkey Kong but I can't really think of anything else that's good enough to justify it. I'm not missing out on anything cool and fun, right?

If you have friends to play video games with in real life get Nintendo Land. The local multiplayer games are amazingly fun

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fremry posted:

For people used to the precision of dual sticks or mouse and keyboard, I can understand why motion controls wouldn't be your thing. It's also the reason that Nintendo went back to the dual sticks for the Wii U.

"Precision of dual sticks" good joke buddy you had me going there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Louisgod posted:

What happens to the person that you commandeer the vehicle from? Can you take the care, drive it off a cliff and come back to them and dance in front of them or something? Want to make sure I'm able to abuse my cop privileges.

Drive the car off a cliff, then follow them as they sadly walk home, then commandeer their dog and throw it off a cliff.

• Locked thread