Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Spacebump posted:

We are posting in a Nintendo thread about E3, we are all nerds in every way.

Fixed that for you.

Also, Nintendo is actually going to manufacture new Gamcube controllers. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
How useful are the Wii fit products? My girlfriend is interested in them which could be the bit I need to justify buying a Wii U for our house.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Nintendo has the public image advantage of having the friendliest looking dudes in the world working for them. I'd watch a sitcom starring Reggie, Miyamoto and Sakurai.

Reggie weirds me out. He's like a baby-face version of Marv from Sin City. Miyamoto and Sakurai definitely though.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

This totally made me lol.

Also, the goth character in the world of Nintendo is totally Wendy O. Koopa.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

These two 3DS chics need to stop talking over each other.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
The announcer for the treehouse thing keeps pronouncing "Guacamelee" as "Guacamealie".

Ugghhhh, so does one of the developers. But the other developer is pronouncing it correctly.

Edit: Currently this is a new Guacamelee game, but I don't know what the last game was (the one that looked like Animal Crossing), and the announcer girl didn't say the name when they signed off. She just said "This game will be available..."

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Rirse posted:

It was Fantasy Life by Level 5.

Thanks. I haaaaaate when announcers/hosts end a segment without giving the information of what you are looking at/listening to.

Edit: Ugggghhh, she did it again for Guacamelee. Just signed off to start a new segment giving details on the release of the game, but not telling you what the game was.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 11, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Mortimer posted:

Nintendo sells refurbed Wii U's plus nintendoland for $200.

worth it? It even says on the page "YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED BY OUR HIGH REFURB STANDARDS" but that makes me distrust it even more.

I've been looking at this as well, but I want to point out because I just noticed it today, that unlike the deluxe edition, it doesn't come with a wiimote. It also doesn't come with the stands, but I don't really care about those.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

The game will give you wicked hand cramps and they are loving WORTH IT.

This, only my hand cramps were bad enough that I stopped playing after the first couple levels.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I finally decided to buy a refurbished Wii U, and when I try to check out, I get "Insufficient stock level in inventory system for the added item with SKU 82147. "

Is anyone else seeing this? I see that people have recently bought them. Did I, literally, just miss it? 45 minutes ago I could get to the registration screen. Now it just stops me with that error.

Edit: And there's no way to chat with Nintendo online as far as I could tell.

Edit 2: Also, it's really lovely that they don't let you use a different name for a shipping address. My girlfriend accepts packages at her work (they allow it and my work doesn't), but I need it to be addressed to her, and Nintendo only lets me use one name for both billing and shipping.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 16, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

bumble posted:

I'm also getting that error.

poo poo, I was planning on buying one today too. :ohdear:

I got on the phone with them, and after a little while, they said to try again later today, and then again in 24 hours. If it's still an issue, give them a call directly again.

They said there are 12 in stock, but for some reason that they could not ascertain (they were on the phone with other people trying to figure it out for like 15 minutes), it thinks they are out.

Edit: They also said that they get new stock every 24-48 hours, so it doesn't sound like we're poo poo out of luck.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

bumble posted:

I'm also getting that error.

poo poo, I was planning on buying one today too. :ohdear:

I just got one. The lady on the phone told me to try in a couple hours, and it went through for me.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

CatsPajamas posted:

That's good to hear! So I guess Nintendo is not out of refurbished models after all? Maybe they were just getting too many orders at once.

They weren't actually out. When I called, the lady said they had 12 in stock and they get more every 24-48 hours. My gut instinct is that people put them in their carts but didn't actually buy them, so the inventory on the user side was that there were none available, but the inventory on the customer service side was 12, and maybe after a couple of hours the hold expired and they became available on the customer side again.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Since I finally broke down and bought a Wii U, and I never owned a Wii, what are the must have Wii games that I should catch up on?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

RadicalR posted:

At least with mine, they didn't.

I'm still waiting on mine, but the website does not list them as included.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Since that Target deal is coming up, I'm gonna get MK8, Super Mario 3D World, DKC tropical freeze, and use the MK8 code for NSMBros U. My favorite type of game is platformers, hence the choice of games. Anyone have a suggestion in what order to play the platformers?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Minidust posted:

People have been posting links to both. As has been said, I'd avoid the Amazon link because it just directs you to a bunch of third-party sellers. Not sure why that was ever suggested in the first place.

What's the shipping on these at play Asia? $25 for a pro is cheap.

Brasseye posted:

So far I only have Mario Bros U out of those but its really fun. If you played the Wii version you know exactly what youre getting with that one though so if you want something new I'd try one of the others first.

I played the DS one and enjoyed it. I hear that DK TR gets really difficult. I have no issue with difficulty if it doesn't feel cheap.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
For anyone that recently bought a refurb Wii U, check the actual order details for the status. On the list of recent orders, mine says "Order Processing", but I clicked on the order hyperlink and it shipped last night and has the tracking info. I also did not receive an e-mail about it shipping.

Edit:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Well, Nintendo is basically a toy company aimed at kids. They protect kids from creeps the best they can and most of their games are designed in a way that little kids will go crazy about. They're also drat good at making games so fun that anyone from a literal child to a literal 20something goon to a grandma can enjoy. There's nothing wrong with their "soft" approach to videogames but it's a shame when idiot "journalists" decide Nintendo makes babby games for babby consoles and there's no reason to enjoy that when there are big serious next gen games around.

I think this will change as the "millennial" generation ages. As we get older, starts families, etc. I can see us embracing the soft approach to video games. We're the Nintendo generation, that as children made them a household name, we strayed away as we became teens and college kids, but I see that changing again as we become full fledged adults with families.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 18, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

deafmute posted:

At Target between 6/22-6/28 they're going to have a buy 2 get 1 free deal on all Wii U games

Is there a source on this? I can not find anything on the internet about it.

Edit: Nevermind, found a couple places talking about it.

Edit2: VVVVVVV- thanks!

Fremry fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 18, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

I had a few questions about Mario Kart but can't seem to find a Mario Kart thread. How is the online multiplayer in this game and is there a good amount of goons that play?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632104

It doesn't have the Wii U tag.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I haven't seen anyone talk about Shovel Knight. It's supposed to come out next week.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Commissar Ken posted:

I'm super looking forward to it and have been since before it got pushed back.

Yeah, I didn't know it existed until like 3 weeks ago, and at that point thought I was going to have to buy it on PC because I had no plans to buy a Wii U. My Wii U is supposed to come on Tuesday, just in time.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

The streetpass version sounds cool except for I never get streetpasses

I live in Philadelphia and work at a Children's Hospital, so I walk, take a train or bus by A LOT of people everyday, and when I bring my 3DS, I go by someone once every 4 times and it's usually the same dude on my train. Definitely gonna go with the Wii U version.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Also, EA announced that FIFA '15 is being released on all consoles, including the 3DS and Wii, but WILL NOT be released on the Wii U.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

m.hache posted:

So consensus in the thread is motion controls are great when you keep your hands on your lap and barely move at all.

Like mentioned earlier if every game was ported and compatible with the gamepad it would be infinitely better. This is why I'm loving my Wii U and really didn't like my Wii. There are some great games that don't rely on gimmicky motion controls.

Nintendo at it's best is when they have a regular controller and then give you the choice of a gimmicky peripheral. The Wii reversed that by making the gimmicky peripheral the default and occasionally the choice to use a regular controller. The Wii U is a blend where the gimmicky controller is the default, but it still functions as a regular controller.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Nah, some games play real loving well with the Wiimote. The Wii ports of Metroid and Pikmin were way better than the Gamecube originals. The real consensus was that you don't know how to use a Wii.

I think this may be the crux of it. You shouldn't "have to know" how to play a console. I can't really say too much because I only ever played my friend's Wii, but if it's not something that works extremely well and extremely easily, you're going to take people out of the immersion, especially when you were the company that created the controller as we know it today.

The only "real" game (not wii sports, etc.) I played on the Wii was one of the Ninja Turtle beat 'em ups, and the motion controls were frustrating. Not that a third party port of a licensed TV show is a good indicator of effective use of motion controls, but if my buddy made me play that crappy game again, I would have prefered it on the PS3 or XBOX 360.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

homeless snail posted:

When I played Mario 64 for the first time I held the far left and right handles in my hands, stretched my thumb over to the stick, and jammed the middle spike into my stomach for stability. Video games are hard.

For people used to the precision of dual sticks or mouse and keyboard, I can understand why motion controls wouldn't be your thing. It's also the reason that Nintendo went back to the dual sticks for the Wii U.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You have to "have to know" how to play literally every video game system on the market. There are people who regularly play PC shooters who absolutely can't grasp or can't stand using a controller to play anything, even games designed with controllers in mind. Likewise, there are people who find simple controllers unwieldy or confusing and can't keep track of the number of buttons. Hell, there are people thrown off by the different between square-x-triangle-circle and a-b-x-y.

You're used to using a controller so it feels more natural to you and something different inherently feels more alien. A lot of people who picked up Wiis when it was a fad did so because the Wii controller was actually less intimidating than a classic controller was, and it's also a big part of why modern Smartphone games are so easy to pick up and play.

Right, but when the Wii came out there were really three demographics of potential videogame players. People who spent 20 years getting used to the style of controller that Nintendo created, people used to keyboard and mouse, and people who didn't play videogames because the other two were too complicated.

Wii's motion controls were great in that they opened up that last demographic. It's why so many Wii's were sold. But they were also the demographic who didn't ultimately care greatly about videogames and that's why Nintendo's software attach rating was as low as it was. Grandmom's nursing home had a Wii, but the only game anyone ever played was Wii Sports. It sold consoles, but it didn't contiue to sell software. The people buying multiple titles were the first two demographics.

And don't get me wrong, I have an affinity to the accesibility of the motion controls because it allowed my Uncle with cerbral palsy and a clentched left hand to play games for the first time since the NES (he used the big arcade stick for the NES). But from a business point of view, it opened up a big market of people who didn't spend a lot on software at the sacrifice of pushing the smaller group of software spenders onto the other platforms.

I mean you can really see it in smartphones and tablets. The touch screen opened up that demographic of people for whom controllers and keyboard/mouse is too complicated like never before, but that same demographic rarely buys any software over $1, and that's if they buy the software at all. How many times have you heard someone talk about an app and then immediately justify the small amount of money they spent on it? "Yeah, it's a cool app. It costs $.99 but to me it's worth it because I use it so much."

It's obviously not as clear cut as that because the quality of their first party titles begrudgingly brought those controller and keyboard/mouse players over, but you get the jist of what I'm saying. It was a runaway hit because of it's accessibility to the masses, but those masses weren't ever the lifeblood of the gaming industry.

Edit: And now that I've hit the post button I realize how much time I wasted thinking/writing that.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, but the argument I was responding to was one which argued that you shouldn't "have to know how to play a console," which has nothing to do with attach rates. You do have to know how to play a console regardless of what you're playing it on.

Right. The fact that those demographics that are used to the controller and keyboard/mouse had a hard time using it was an issue. When your console depends on software sales from those demographics, making a control device that is hard for them to use and brings up people saying "you're just not using it right" is an issue when they can use your competitors' controllers without needing to "use it right".

Edit: It's the reason the Army used and uses XBOX 360 controllers to control devices. They went with a control interface that their recruits already knew how to use cutting training time and R&D costs.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 20, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Louisgod posted:

The Wii's attach rate wasn't low, what are you talking about? Nintendo's games sold an immense amount of copies and jacked up the attachment rate.

Really? I may be speaking out of line, but I thought the per console software sales were bad compared to the PS3 and XBOX 360.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It depends on the games you're talking about. Things like Carnival Games or Just Dance sold extremely well on the Wii. Ubisoft probably supported the Wii U as much as it did because the Wii was directly responsible for Just Dance printing money. Traditionally sellers like Call of Duty had a lower attach rate that they did on any other system though.

People point to something like Madworld or No More Heroes selling poorly as an example of bad attach rate while ignoring that those games would have not had a great attach rate on any other system. Hell, No More Heroes sold better on the Wii than it did on the PS3 when it finally got a port.

Yeah, I was more talking about the lifetime software to console attach rate, and I just found it. 9:1 for the Wii, which is an extremely good attach rate, so I was wrong.

Edit: And 5 of their top 9 Wii sellers were the various Wii sports/fit/play iterations.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

I don't want to revive this discussion, but I think his point was that gaming consoles today have a standard of how to use them. The Wii broke that mold (and inspired the Kinect, Move etc etc) and he didn't like that he had to learn how to play it. For example, take the 7th gen out entirely and you can easily see one person jumping from one console to the next with the only barrier needing to know what buttons do what.

Right. An it's not so much that I didn't like it, as I didn't have a Wii and only played it minimally, I just don't think it's a meaningful statement to tell someone who obviously has been playing games for a long time (since they are posting in a forum dedicated to games) that their issue with the motion controls weren't with the motion controls, but that they were "not playing correctly". If a person who is very familiar with videogames can play your console so incorrectly to be arduous, the problem is that your console can be played incorrectly and not with the experienced gamer that is "playing incorrectly".

Basically, if an experienced gamer can "play incorrectly", the issue is with the designers, not the player.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 20, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

You can get a refub Wiimote WITH nunchuck for less than you paid for the remote from the same refurb shop Nintendo does.

$5 for shipping, so you basically are paying a $4 premium to not wait 5-7 business days for it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I know it was pages back but the attach rate of the Wii wasn't even that much lower than other consoles. By like 2013 it was 8.8 games per system, the final attach rate of the PS2 was only like 10.2 or something.

But lol conventional wisdom people only bought the Wii for Wii Sports! Nobody bought any games!

I was the one who brought it up, and conceded that it's attach rate of 8.84:1 was a very good attach rate.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

deadwing posted:

It's an especially strong attach ratio considering that the system was both profitable with the initial system sale, and the massive amount of popular accessories (Wii Remote/Nunchuk/Classic Controller/Zapper/Balance Board) the system spawned.

Yeah, from what I saw it was their second highest attach ratio. The only one that beat it out was the GameCube, ironically.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Quality over quantity :V

The 3DS's attach rate is really abysmal, like 4 or something. But it might not take digital sales into account? I guess those can be tough to track?

Honestly, it may not be that bad. The game boy and game boy advance both had an attach rate of around 4.5, and the wildly successful DS had an attach rate of 6.1, so in terms of Nintendo's historical sales, it's doing about what you'd expect for a handheld.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PrBacterio posted:

Well I'm sure in the case of the DS in particular, the ubiquitous availability of flash cards and ensuing rampant piracy probably had something to do with it, though.

Probably, but it's the best performing of any handheld they made, so if it did affect it, it still was their best selling handheld with the best attach rate.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Just got my buy 2 get 1 at Target. I got MK8, so it's really buy 2 get 2, but they did not stock up in anticipation at all. I got MK8 (they had plenty), SM3DW (last copy) and DK Tropical Freeze (last copy). I was the first, and only, one there and they had no idea there was a sale going on until the manager checked it. So glad I went early, although you could probably get Amazon to match it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble getting this setup. I'm to the point in the setup where I create a new NNID or link an existing NNID. I'm trying to link my existing NNID, the system tries to do something for a few seconds and then I get error code 102-2511 that says, "In order to use online services a system update is required. Go to system settings to perform a system update," but as far as I can tell I'm locked out of the console's settings at this point. :confused:

Seems like if you create a new NNID, the console will take you through the Mii creation process then give you a choice to create a new NNID at that point or link one later. Choosing later seems to have let me into the system!

The account you set up to buy things on the 3DS is the same thing right? I set one up a while ago, and am still waiting on my Wii U to be delivered, so I'd like to use that one if it's the same thing.

Also, Nintendo just recently said that GBA and Nintendo 64 games will be coming to the Wii U virtual console. No other details than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Crawfish posted:

There's been GBA games on the Wii U VC for a while now?

Gotcha, it looks like it was just weirdly worded. The quote says "future additions of GBA and N64 games", which led me to believe there weren't any GBA games, but it's just saying there will be more.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/8887/20140622/nintendo-64-games-will-make-jump-to-wii-u-virtual-console.htm

Wildtortilla posted:

Yep that's the NNID I'm planning to setup on this Wii U. It's just easy to get confused in an endless loop of bullshit because the system gives you the opportunity to link an existing NNID. But the trick is you need to connect to the internet to do that and the only way to get on the internet is to apply the latest system update and the only way to get the latest system update is to get to the console's main menu and it seems like the only way to get to the main menu is to setup an NNID. Choosing to create a new NNID doesn't actually make a new NNID, it just prompts you to make a Mii and tell the system you'll setup the NNID later. Whew that was a mouth full, but hopefully this helps anyone setting up a new system.

Thanks. That's actually very helpful because I saw someone have this problem earlier, but I didn't see an answer on how to bypass it without making a new NNID (unless I skimmed over it). I'm hoping my Wii U will be up to date because it's a direct from Nintendo refurb, but who knows.

• Locked thread