Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cuboidal 64 posted:

This game called Ittle Dew got released a couple of days ago but it looks like it's coming to Wii U some time in the Fall. Looks like a cute Zelda clone if nothing else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnwKZ_EOguA

Thanks for posting this. It looks like a Munchkin-like spoof on Zelda, while still possibly being quite good adventure gaming. Apparently thought up while stoned and watching Adventure Time.

I am hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Supercar Gautier posted:

SIMILARITIES:
-you control 100 small dudes
-end of list

Gathering alien produce for fun and profit

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nintendo puts out awesome n64 controller. Granted that the analog stick has come a long way, but the versatility was unparalleled.

People complained. Too many buttans.

Wii remote comes out. Simple, few buttons.

People complained. Where buttans? Waggle is work, I'm tired already.

WiiU allows more options than ever. Game introduces complex gameplay with novel interface

People complain. Why can't I just push buttan?

How did these people ever get fighting game moves to work or enter the Konami code?

"why can't spinning piledriver and UUDDLRLRBA(s)S be mapped to one buttan? How will I ever remember how to do everyone's fatality?"

I guess not every game is for every gamer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cyra posted:

Also the N64 controller? Really? I don't think anyone looks back on that and is like "Man, Nintendo had the right idea, why can't we go back to one analog stick right in the middle of the controller".

But you see, it wasn't in the middle. It was on the right or the left, depending on the control scheme, or ignored in favor of the other controls on the pad. The only "in the middle" usage was palmspinning mario party which Nintendo already apologized for (and that was really a software issue) It was an ingenious design.

absolutely anything posted:

Here's another line for you dummies to not be able to draw:
But why do I have to remember things? :mad:

I get that fighting games added a "mash buttons" mode to let grandma play, and that's fine. And I loving LOVE smash brothers, which has relatively simple controls, but I just don't get the upset feelings after an hour or two at most of trying to learn a new skill and finding it challenging and having to remember lines and circles and blaming the game when others are having no problems. It'd be like if I picked up a bow for the first time and missed a dozen targets and declared archery flawed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

The next Star Fox game is a dating Sim. You play as Krystal.

Preordered.

:fuckoff:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So, was that premium WiiU bundle with NSMBU and NSLU a photoshop or is that a real thing that is coming out? I was planning to get the Zelda bundle, but funds are limited and that looked like a hell of a deal (I also just played through WW on GC less than a year ago)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

M3DW looks fantastic. I am so excited to play as firepower peach, you have no idea

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thedouche posted:

Hopefully they'll eventually do a Mario3dWorld AND Mario Kart bundle.

:yoshi:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am excited about MarioKart8.

I am sad to say that I am not excited about Sonic: Other S.
Add more plot and dialog and less [thing that defines the series] what could go wrong?!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PrBacterio posted:

Super Luigi is not that much more difficult than Mario, honestly; they end up at a pretty similar level of difficulty towards the end of their respective games. It's just that Luigi U starts out in a slightly more difficult place, whereas in NSMBU, the first couple of levels serve as a set of super-easy tutorial levels.

If you just want to race to beating boswer, NSLU is perhaps easier (faster anyway) if you are any kind of platform gamer. I'm finding it quite a bit trickier to actually find and collect all the thingies, though. It's been a looong long time since I've even paid attention to my lives counter in a Mario game other than to be annoyed when I max it out and still get "rewarded" with 1-ups. I've been nervous about it more than once in NSLU trying to get all the big coins before earning save anytime and re-obsoleting the lives system.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just FYI saying "waggling" all the time does make you sound kind of dickish. It's practically impossible to read without some kind of smarmy emphasis.

I won't "call you out" for not liking motion controls, but it really is obnoxious to constantly read people calling things like shaking the remote/nunchuck to spin in Mario Galaxy "waggling"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Expert trolling in the Wii U thread: a thread for children.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whose ePeen is so tied to their MarioKart rankings that they actually get butthurt about blue shells? FUN. It's for FUN.

also

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

One day competitive Mario Kart fans will rival competitive Smash fans. They will only want to play Luigi Circuit with bananas and green shells.

Dude, green shells can ricochet unpredictably and so make the whole thing random and no longer an ultimate test of skill.
Luigi Circuit
Yoshi only
No items

You probably liked tripping too...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Yes, that was the problem with mario kart 64 multiplayer. not the frame skip actually speeding the game up and making racing awful.

MarioKart 64 awful? What?

Best battle mode ever (why haven't they been able to come even close since then?)

Also, lol "strat"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fivegears4reverse posted:

There's nothing good about any game design element that specifically is designed to make some players feel good about themselves by purposefully putting other players at a disadvantage simply because they are doing better.

I don't think it's designed to make some players "feel good about themselves". It's designed to make the game fun. Fun is subjective, for sure, but MarioKart is a pretty successful series, so it seems to be fun for most people. You may simply fall outside the normal curve if all forms of fun must be hyper-competitive or have the effect of utterly crushing your opponent with your amazing skills. Games like that are only fun if you take them more seriously than MarioKart is really meant to be taken (see, yet again, Smash Bros arguments) and/or if all players are of similar skill-levels/ have the same number of gameplay-months of practice memorizing tracks and learning to exploit game mechanics (snaking, etc).

Maybe MarioKart is just too chill a game for you. There's nothing wrong with that. If they tried to please everyone, every game would suck.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

axleblaze posted:

This seems like a really big overreaction to what pretty much boiled down to "I don't like Blue Shells" especially considering hatred of Blue Shells is pretty much one of the best known things about the series at this point. Saying he's appreciating the game wrong because he holds this view seems kind of dumb.

Well, if I want to use marshmallows as fishing weights and complain that they're light and airy and float instead of sink, it's my fault for misclassifying them as a useful fishing weight.

MarioKart has had blue shells (and worse - lightningbolts over jumps and bullet bills) since like forever ago. It has rubberbanding, AIs that have different powers than PCs, etc etc etc. It has never ever been an Elite Skill Racer. It has always been a Fun Times And Random poo poo Racer. Complaining, at this point, that it has blue shells and poo poo seems like misclassifying the game in spite of a mountain of evidence.

I said it's totally cool if MarioKart isn't your bag, no shame in it, but it is what it is and random-ish "unfair" items are a basic part of it.

I guess people can turn them off in MK8, so maybe there will be a class of elite No Items Yoshi Only Final Destination players out there. Good for them. (seriously)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

.TakaM posted:

That's something I hated since the first NSMB, it doesn't happen often but their little dance steps would cause me to miss jumps or take damage

If only there were some predictable indicator that they were coming...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I LOL'd at the pong assist trophy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Walking through the local WAL*MART today, thinking about getting a new TV. Guess what they had in the case to sell?

WiiU Deluxe MarioKart8 Bundle. Red box, bigger than the NSMB bundle right next to it.

So of course I didn't buy one because I already have a WiiU.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jacksonville, FL
River City Marketplace

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'm going to take Pikmin3. I should play that, right? I enjoyed the first two.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So far I can say this about Pikmin3:

It looks gorgeous and I miss the c stick. Is there no way to just move the pack into things like gates anymore, or do I really have to throw every one of them individually?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So I just realized that my pile of DS games have codes in them and went platinum. So what the hell do I get for it? The prizes are the same as they were before.

The Pikmin tote bag is cute and all, but where the premium prizes at?

(this is my first time using club nintendo, help goons!)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

-The glossy black gamepad looked like it was smeared in lard after like an hour

:stare:

:burger::burger::mario::burger::burger:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ah yes. Use easy or very easy mode. They're good for tiny children.

*wonders why people don't use those modes and are frustrated with game*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Well July 1st and I only have 145 points left for 2015 Platinum after doing all my surveys.

The surveys people are talking about are only the ones that pop up when you enter a code, yes? Who purchased this game/ was it a gift/ where did you hear about it/ what are you looking forward to... that stuff?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Holy wow SM3DW has a lot of content.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Seeing Hyrule Warriors gameplay makes me realize what I've been missing from Zelda games since OOT. Enemies. There used to be screens full of enemies to dispatch as you make your way overland to some objective or another. The overworld was a dangerous place, especially if you wandered into endgamey areas.

With Zelda U trying to be more like old Zelda and bringing back the overworld exploration as a main thing, I hope the overworld is actually somewhat dangerous again, at least in places. One peahat or stalfos lazily following you around does not a scary overworld make.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
To add to my previous comment about the awesome amount of content in SM3DW I am amazed that there is a new powerup in the endgame, even if it is only a minor modification of an existing one

Also, I haven't found a single stamp in world shroom and I only missed one in the whole game before that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zyste posted:

OK. I'm probably just super late on this, but I just realized in Super Mario World 3D you can get in the Koopa shells! I probably spent like 20 min just messing with that mechanic. I love this game!

I just found out you could roll along the ground. By accident. At an inopportune moment.

The question now is, why would I want to use this feature?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

noirstronaut posted:

gently caress Rayman. Captain Mother loving Falcon is here.

So... are there five Marths now?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Probably 65 hours if you include loading times.

Ho Ho

Are load times really that much of a problem for people?

Never had one of these to compare it to obviously

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nolgthorn posted:

Reaffirming the vitality of the Pro controllers is probably the biggest recurring discussion, so that should go into new OP.

But then what would we talk about?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking about finally getting a 3DS during that Best Buy sale next week.

Should I get DKCR3D for that or is this my chance to finally see what all the fuss is about with Earthbound?

I don't know anything about Dillons or Mario V Donkey Kong

decisions decisions

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Artix posted:

Well I guess I'm getting Game and Wario because I own pretty much everything else worth getting (and I have DKCR on Wii). Kinda disappointed that there isn't even a token physical reward, I would have probably grabbed that.

Erk I misread an earlier post. DKCR is the same as the wii one? Well, never mind that, then.

I'm really tempted to get Dr Luigi because I've probably put more hours on my Dr Mario cart than any other game, and my NES is starting to fail..

I was hoping for a cool CD or poster or something, too

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Taint Reaper posted:

So if anyone has been to a Gamestop lately they're playing a video on repeat that features nothing but reggie and an interview with reggie.

It played maybe 5 times the entire time I was there which was maybe 45 minutes.

Jesus christ you were in a gamestop for 45 minutes?

Were you seriously injured and waiting for an ambulance or what? Every gamestop I've ever been in is basically an ugly closet full of jerks and overpriced things and no battletoads.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gay skull posted:

Those rewards are poo poo

Lets all complain that the FREE poo poo we are getting isn't good enough.

edit: gently caress that Yoshi is great our free poo poo sucks

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alteisen posted:

You have any idea how much money you spent on Nintendo products to get to platinum?

Free my rear end.

You caught me. I bought a WiiU and a bunch of games just to get the loving cracker jack prize for registering them. I've never even plugged it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hardest level to get a big haul of treasure from? Treasure Knight.

That level is a fucker.

• Locked thread