Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Website is not really fully back, at least not here. Its slow as heck.

I'm guessing he was expecting a lot of traffic, but not as much as he got. Might not have the xp in dealing with a super high volume of traffic. You only learn how to deal with it once you've run though it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
15~EUR
20~USD

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

AlmightyBob posted:

So if there aren't going to be any quests is the game just running around aimlessly? I mean, the game sounds cool and all but I guess I kind of need at least a little bit of actual structure or I get bogged down and can't find anything to do.

There are missions/quests to be done. They reward more xp than grinding monsters.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

AlmightyBob posted:

Oh, I saw the update that said they removed all quests because they were getting in the way of freedom.

Frist I've heard of this... where did you see it?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

AlmightyBob posted:

I just reread the blogpost linked there and I guess it was supposed to be temporary.

That blog post is old. If you check the live streams, and youtube vids that have been up, you'll see missions in game.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

AlmightyBob posted:

You can tell how long it's been since I've checked in on this game.

Give the semi-sporadic/very slow burn we've had up until the last two weeks, its pretty easy to see why you'd have missed something. Though I was out of the country over the weekend, so just as easy for me to miss something.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Megafunk posted:

So apparently this is up on their store for 20 dollars? I guess it got overloaded and their poo poo is broke.

They got so much traffic it killed the servers, people who ordered had issues getting their games delivered. They seem to have it down until they sort out the people who've paid for the game.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Humble store doesn't fix his server being able to cope with people creating accounts on his site, generating keys, dealing with support/billing requests.

I'd rather he take the time to get stuff working as well as possible upfront. As someone who deals with customer billing issues, I'd hate to see the nightmare that would be their email inbox if 15-20k people bought the day game one, and then couldn't download it.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

tooooooo bad posted:

Opening it for pre-orders a few days in advance sure would have.

Not really, until you've dealt with _insane_ server requirements, you're not really prepared to deal with it.

He could do all the prep work he could hope for, but it won't matter until you see real data. Real data is never the same or as predicable as what you'd throw at a server in a test environment.

This is speaking from experience in dealing with fairly high traffic websites and dealing with some of the _insane_ traffic that they happen to deal with a few times a year.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Mini demo is back up again: https://s3.amazonaws.com/picroma/demo/CubeDemo.zip

You'll need to wait after launching it for it to render the world. The longer you wait (up until a point) the more it generates. It just spins

quote:

It's basically just a starting screen with a rotating landscape in the background. If it runs smoothly and you can see the logo and the text below it, your PC is ready for Cube World.

On many PCs where the demo doesn't start, it helps to install the latest DirectX End-User Runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Some computers have an Intel/on-board video card and a dedicated video card. To make sure your computer can run Cube World smoothly, right-click the Demo/Game and hover over "Run with graphics processor" if it is there to make sure you run it off a dedicated GPU if you have one.

If the Demo is not running, the full Cube World version won't run on your PC.
. •Especially laptops with integrated Intel graphics chips are not well supported.
•On some computers the text is not visible.
•On some computers there are issues with low resolutions.

If you have trouble with the demo, please wait with buying Cube World until we have found a solution or you have found another PC on which it's running.

We're currently fixing our download/update system. We don't have an ETA for it yet. Thanks for your understanding, we're doing our best.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

A PC Game posted:

What's the pricing structure for this? If we pay the $20 for the alpha will that be all the rest of the updates forever?

So far its pledged to be like Minecraft, pay now, get updates for the long haul.

quote:

@wol_lay: The new launcher is necesary to fix the updating system which overloaded the site yesterday.

quote:

@wol_lay: You can also install it to a different location and copy save files if you worry about your working installation.

Edit: #cubeworld on twitter has been getting crazier as the day goes on, people are getting upset, going crazy. Its weird to watch this. I'm glad I'm not in their shoes right now.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 4, 2013

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Solvency posted:

I would love to be in their shoes, crazed white spoiled suburban child fans included. Once they get the store stable they will easily make more then any of us on this thread do in a year within just a few hours.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes as far as support/sales services goes. Something like this is what nightmares are made of, and I've already lived though something like this once. The biggest benefit for them, is that they make the profit.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
He's done a very slow controlled burn, and by applying Cartman's "You can't come technique" to his game, he's made people want it more. It was worsened when a few bigger youtube/twitch people got copies to play. Like a lot of other big beta's for games, everyone wants in, its worse when you can only look on. To be given a glimmer of access yourself and then to have all that dashed stirs people to want it more.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I spent nearly two hours playing, and almost all of my time while doing that was streaming.

I got to level 3, and after getting to level 3, I still couldn't defeat an "easy" area "boss".

Decided to give it a rest tonight, and will pick back up later today after work.

I'd like to see someone spawn with you, and give you a bit of a heads up where to go.
It'd be nice if the shops had gear for you (when solo) that is a tiny upgrade :/

A filter for the buying areas that show you gear for you would be nice too.

Being picky for an alpha...

The only thing right now I feel I NEED, is the ability to rebind keys. MMB is not ideal for me (its my vent bind) to dodge. I'd much rather have a double tap to dodge too.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Haven't had any server crashes yet, though we tossed ours up on a vps.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sendo posted:

What are the icons below your pets xp bar ?

As above, thirst. As long as they're near a source of water it refills pretty quickly. Edit: Only shows on pets which can be ridden, not all pets can be ridden.

http://www.twitch.tv/rawrbmb/b/425908844 crazy 7 hour stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS_QlDnhazY this was our first mission kill (its about 2.5 hours into the stream), once you get over that hurdle its pretty awesome.

Had a good duh moment, harder to stealth when your lamp is on :downs:

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 5, 2013

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Ovenmaster posted:

Some things aren't really explained in the game so here's a few helpful tips:

- When crafting multiple items, you don't have to click for every craft, you can just hold down the mouse button. This goes for pretty much any ability.

- The sweat drop things below your pet portrait is its stamina/hydration bar. You use it when you ride the pet and when it runs out it'll throw you off. You can replenish it by walking into water with it. If you're in town you can jump into the well :v:

- If you want to change your 'spec' of your class, all you have to do is run into a town and find your class trainer. Class trainers are the ones standing on platforms in I believe the adventurer's district. Find the one that looks like your class (the mage will have a staff for example), stand next to them and open your skill tree. You will now have the option to change spec for a small fee.

- Bosses (the swords on the minimap) gives waaaaaay more experience than anything else you can do. In the early levels most of them are hard to impossible but it gets better later. Don't grind. Grinding is dumb and boring.

You can change specs in the field by right clicking talents, or swapping talents. It'll charge you a fee to confirm.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

wylker posted:

Some things about running a server:

-People leaving the server crashes it, have it on a error'd shell restart or launch it as a process or something
-There is no DNS resolution in the clients. You have to give people your IP address
-The incoming port is 12345 (the combination an idiot would use on his luggage)
-The seed for your world is in server.txt
-It uses almost 0 resources somehow

We're okay on our end with connecting to hostnames, and not ips.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

TShields posted:

Am I doing something wrong, or is it okay to be level 1 for like an hour? This game is in serious need of some XP balancing. Everything I murder is like 1-2 XP, and I've been wiped off the face of the planet a half dozen times by wandering wizard swarms. This game is fun though, wish I had someone to play with.

Yea, my suggestion is to find orange/white colored mobs, and pick stuff off.

Melee is a lot harder earlier on, ranged has the advantage of huge distance to whittle things down.

Don't forget to dodge, it makes a huge difference.

In the 7 hours me and my friends played last night, I think our first two hours, we got to level 3, then, we rocketed up to level 19~ in the next 5 hours.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Me and my friends found two jungle/ocean biomes last night, that was pretty kickass. Also found a blue slime to tame, and a death god mosquito that dropped a level 100 wind spirit cube :sad:

Its pretty amazing how much time you can spend in this game and not realize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KpDDPHPhmY

Pets in multiplayer seem to de-level when you change gear, to their base level. This doesn't happen in single player.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
The platinum coin scaling is a bit off. It takes way too many coins to adapt anything way too quickly.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Doh004 posted:

I had a bug where it seemed there weren't any NPCs and there weren't any enemies. I also couldn't pick up any items with E. What is going on :(

Playing on a server? Server likely crashed.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Saxophone posted:

I think missions are the one thing I haven't gotten so far. Where do you get them? I have to assume in town, but the most I've ever received was the 'let me mark this on your map' thing.

Its just an objective to complete at a spot in the world. Normally involves beating down the boss of the area.

Me and my friends "fastest" boss kill, it just happened not to have a ton of other stuff around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgULIhN_RnY&t=110s

Edit: fastest in terms of, there wasn't any major amount of trash surrounding him, or a castle/temple to get though.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 8, 2013

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I'm gonna set up a server wit ha friend. What are the big things that cause crashes right now so I can tell him what to avoid so I'm not resetting my server every ten minutes?

Sprint the ranger skill, users chosing to exit game while connected, instead of going back to the start menu.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

something posted:

Because he gave copies of his alpha to youtubers in return for some plug or whatever. This makes him literally hitler to some people. Or at least some baron. I mean, heck, his name is Wolfram Von Funck. Imagine prefixing it with baron:

Baron Wolfram Von Funck.

Anyways yeah nerdrage.

Some people think giving people who play video games for a living and review them a free copy makes it viral marketing.

Its not.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Slimes are the best mount, hoverslime for life.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Me and a fellow goon went exploring on the seed while I was streaming last week. We found the ocean biome area, and its jungle-y and water-y. Hordes of undead areas and giant mosquitos of death.

This is our seed 86161981, we're near the end of the path in the image Map: http://imgur.com/DaXoB97

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/355784616738693123

quote:

@wol_lay: Things have settled down a lot now and we hope to post more updates soon. Thanks for your patience, bug reports, suggestions & support! :)

He isn't dead.. huzzah!

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Baloogan posted:

Yeah I wish I didn't buy it. Its not worth 20 bux. Its more along the lines of a game that should have been released for free.

I got about 14 hours of playtime out of the game, purely in co-op with 3 others. We're all kind of in a holding pattern on updates as we don't want to burn ourselves out on the game before it has more content in it.

A few of the fan sites are hugely crazy busy with people ranting on about the game.

I've spent more money, on games that have given me less hours. It wasn't a waste in my mind.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I see a lot of promise in this game, I want to support the developer. If someone else thinks the same, they'll probably enjoy the game and be okay paying 20USD to support the developer.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

hitze posted:

Server certainly doesn't work

His server that he hosts the store on, or the game's multiplayer server? Both seem reasonably fine.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Kikas posted:

My biggest gripe is that the server only allows one player to join and spawns no mobs at all when run on XP, cause I have a separate PC for running various game servers, and it's still on XP because I didn't feel the need to upgrade. And my PC kinda fries when I try to host and play on it at once, so this makes playing with friends hard. Other then that, I got exactly what I'd think I get.

That's super weird, you don't have any firewalls blocking any of its communication right?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

tooterfish posted:

You only really notice it on mobs that do big charged attacks, but things like trolls and ember golems can drop you in one shot if you're not careful.

The ground pound attacks are especially dangerous, since the first shot stuns you and wrecks your armour. The second shot will probably kill you, so you need to pop bulwark quickly and get the gently caress out of there.

But yeah, guardian is serious business. I waded through a +4 dungeon full of blue names a while back, I thought to myself at the time "man these guys are pretty tough!". When I checked the power level of their drops it was 10 above mine, and I wouldn't be able to use it for another 60-70 levels... Talk about first world problems.

Take that stuff to the platinum coin upgrader, to downgrade it.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Malt posted:

I picked up this game and I feel like I'm missing something.

I've leveled up a couple of times, I've crafted some armor and health potions, and I've added a few blocks to upgrade my weapon. When I go to a light blue sword on the map and fight a boss I'm rolling around more than I do in Dark Souls and after 10 minutes of near non-stop attacking I have him down to 80%.

Is that how the game plays or what am I doing wrong?

Bosses are punishingly hard, they can take a while. Worse if your solo.

Bosses tend to have high armor, and health, and until you build up a good set of hits on them, your damage to them tends to be low-0. After a successful group of hits, you do more damage. If you break that cycle by taking damage, or dodging when you shouldn't, you lose the buildup.

This game right now, is really meant for co-op.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What changed is he started taking money for a product. When someone takes money for a product, it's expected they'll have a channel to communicate with the purchasers just due to basic consumer rights.
Let me put this in simple English:
No take money, no buyers, no need talk.
Take money, have buyers, need talk.

You paid money, you got a good/service in return.

I've paid more for shittier software/products in the past. If it really irks you, request a refund, or something. poo poo.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This game is garbage and isn't worth playing for free. Definitely feels like the author is taking people's money and running. It pretty obvious that he doesn't know what he is doing what with the sparse updates, terrible distribution service, lack of server features (none really), terrible leveling (underpowered in single player, over powered in multiplayer), lack of promised features. Basically anyone on the fence should run to someone else's yard.

Vox is an uglier version of Cube World yet: did digital distribution right, talks with the community, cheap as gently caress, trying to get on steam, already was in a bundle, and isn't running with people's $20.

In your opinion.

I got about 20 hours of gameplay out of cubeworld, playing with friends, exploring, etc.

It was great, I got my monies worth.

If you're not okay, with a lack of real content, or don't like to explore, or don't like more action combat, then this game might not be for you, and you should not buy it.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Baloogan posted:

Where is the developer based? I want to complain to the better business organization wherever the gently caress this guy is.

Germany, best of luck.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

For 5 bones I can get a poo poo ton of awesome games right now. Hell, even this is a better deal. This isn't just "like your opinion man". This is an unfinished product that simply isn't worth $20. The developer is a no name who absolutely needs to prove his game is worth the price of admission during a time when indie games are experiencing a renaissance of sorts. The developer could post at least some weekly/bi-weekly minor updates on what he is working on. Here's an example of it being done right (hell they even admit when the gently caress up hardcore). Last update from Wollay was in July. This is unacceptable.

Which features, listed on the products website, are not working for you based on the product description?
https://picroma.com/cubeworld

Where did the developer lie to you, and rip you off?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've already accepted I made a bad investment. What irks me is the people who feel the need to defend poo poo business practices because "But he made a game I like"/"But it's only $20"/"But there are even worse business people"/etc. I bought Oniken and was given an invalid activation key. I emailed them and got a new, valid activation key 2 business days later, even though it's a three person team. If they could handle that in 2 days while also running an IndieGoGo campaign and working on their next game, I think this dude can handle five minutes telling people what he's working on.

What irks me is people comparing apples and oranges. Did you have a billing, or activation issue when you made your purchase for Cubeworld?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
IIRC we had two mages in our group, I think they were both water at one point. Its kind of sad fire doesn't get an AOE damage to boost itself. Fire never seemed to do more damage, than water, and water had healing going for it.

Wands/braclets I think leave water spots the ground that heal your friends/yourself, also.

I tried playing as a warrior early on, but found I either did no damage, and couldn't hold anything well. I went back to my ninja and we continued to own things pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Above Our Own posted:

IN MY OPINION fire is strictly worse in every way. Wands/lets do also heal friendlies in the path of the projectile, but it doesn't end up being nearly as much passive healing as the swirly.

Warriors can do pretty decent damage but they have to manage their shield block and I doubt they could ever match an equally geared Ninja. Warriors can obviously soak damage better but Ninjas can tank almost as well or even better via evasion tanking, there's just less margin for error.

I meant dot, not AOE, though having similar fire patches on the ground for fire would have been neat, even if just a clone on what water was doing.

I preferred the ninja's play style, and tanked fairly well, as long as I had someone baking me up. I could never not get hit, you're not 100% immune even while dodging.

• Locked thread