Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hmm feeling kind of down, wondering other people's experiences. Our boy is 7 weeks tomorrow and was born full term, but where we were once overjoyed he began smiling big at 4 weeks and used to move his head with ease, I'm starting to feel down after watching some 2 month old development videos.

In these videos during tummy time the babies are keeping their heads up with ease and while sitting up are clearly tracking objects from left to right. During tummy time our boy mainly has his head to the side and will only pick it up in jerking motions, but is never stable and looking ahead. And when it comes to tracking objects he will definitely look you in the eye, but keeping his attention with our face or a toy through an arc doesn't seem to happen.

I know we are still like a week+ from actually being 2 months, but I feel like we got overconfident with his early progress and aren't giving him enough development time.

Anyone have any tips on making something like tummy time more enjoyable, and what were your own experiences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thanks everyone for the advice earlier on milestones. His looking / smiling / cooing is definitely on point now, and we are trying to find some tummy time alternatives that still let him work on his neck strength, but I’m feeling better on that front

did anyone’s babies poop start smelling around 8 weeks? Our guy is breastfed so it was kind of a surprise, but for the past week his poops have had a pungent earthy smell (as opposed to smelling like real poop). Our books have said it’s not typical for breastfed poop to smell, so we are wondering if maybe something in mom’s diet is causing the smell or if that is just how he is

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

P-p-p-posting from the 4 Month regression zone!

Just finished the midnight to 2 stretch, baby is refueling with mom to power through the next few hours of intermittent coughing, whining, squealing, kicking, and shattering our dreams of “he is breathing really calmly, ok just ease him into the bassi-FUCKKKKKKKKK”

My shift has ended thank you and good night!!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Ughhh first time fever here with our 4.5 month old...puked up some milk and clocked in at 100.3, so nurse gave some advice but basically monitor it. Small feeds and napping got us about 4 hours but then he vomited again and is at 101.4. Seems most ok when he is awake but definitely has fussy bouts. He has also been super congested

Been able to feed and get him to nap since then but we are so anxious about checking his temp again and it being above 102 - ugh I know this was bound to happen but is still nerve wracking, I feel helpless like any minute now he is going to have the sickness of all sicknesses! Poor baby

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Fuckkkkk, posting from guilt ridden bad dad-ville, depressive rant incoming....

We finally had a get together with some aunts and uncles from my side of the family with our 6 month old and I completely blew the hand-washing, no kissing rules that my wife and I talked about a million times that we both think are really important

Some of it was because it happened fast (one or two snuck a cheek kiss), but honestly more often than not I just felt completely powerless, like I was back to being a 6 year old, as one aunt passed him to another - and I just made excuses in my head about how it was probably ok instead of asking them to clean up.

This is magnified because my wife has anxiety about the little guy getting sick and really trusted me to cover this, so it was a big shock and disappointment to her as well that I folded, and now she feels guilty she didn’t say anything, so the dominos just keep falling...I’m basically just praying he doesn’t get sick so this already valuable lesson can kind of end there, but it bothers me so much because it’s more than just him possibly getting sick, it’s that I couldn’t just speak up around my family over something so stupid and simple (“oh please just wash your hands first, it’s flu season!”)

I grew up in a very passive aggressive, don’t rock the boat, type of family and so the more I think about it the more I realize how often in my life I make excuses for other people or try to please them. And it’s one thing to be giving in when you are single or with a partner, but the fact that I couldn’t do it with my own child is making me physically ill...goddamn parenthood really does put you out there and expose you

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Renegret posted:

It's not the end of the world with a 6 month old either. He's old enough to start being exposed to poo poo. That is around the point I gave up on obsessive hand washing and just went to common sense, don't be dirty when touching the baby rules.

I find in social situations it's easier to just come out swinging and set expectations before anything even starts. So instead of having to yell at people to stop licking your baby, you can open up with a polite, please wash your hands and don't kiss the baby immediately before anything even happens, so you're not forced to single anyone out. If they ignore your request after that, you have bigger problems because that family member is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Yeah I tell myself that the doctor just told us he was a healthy guy and when he brought up flu he said just make sure no one with a fever in the last 24hrs is around him and didn’t mention much else, so I try to ease my mind with that, but it still sucks.

It was a bit tougher to get the word out up front because people trickled in as opposed to everyone being there when we came in. We also tried to enlist my parents help ahead of time by reminding them no kissing and washing hands but I guess they weren’t looking out for it...anyways he seems ok so far today, but every hour is agonizing. But really just no more excuses, something so simple is having such an effect I can’t tell if I’m crazy or this is just parent life haha

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

BonoMan posted:

As someone who suffered from the same first-baby-anxiety (like real honest to god anxiety) and lesser so on the second, have you thought about talking to someone like a therapist? It's worked wonders for me and I suffered that near debilitating anxiety. It is absolutely not healthy and, like others have said, he'll most likely be fine and if he's not... modern medicine is awesome and he'll get great care!

Eventually, even when your kid is older, that anxiety is going to negatively affect your relationship with him. I would try to nip that in the bud before it takes a deeper hold if you can!

Honestly, we are so close to getting help that I can really imagine it, but it always seems just out of reach. We’ve been acutely aware of just how much our mindsets have changed (i.e. amplified) since she first got pregnant and have talked about it. Because we can identify the symptoms, I think we are continually hoping we can identify triggers and manage, but case-in-point, we still end up boxing ourselves into unwinnable situations...it’s just a really difficult decision to make.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

More poop chat, my 9 month old is on day 10 of no real poop. A little shart a couple days ago but that’s it. He is eating solids and breastfeeding and usually pooped once a day or every other.

Called the doc and they said shredded cheese probably clogged him up, so do straight beans and prunes for a few days, and well we are coming up on day 3 and still no poop, just a lot of gas. We are also massaging him just hoping for this thing to come out. Little guy is still happy as a clam despite also having a couple teeth cutting!

Going to give them another call if we don’t see anything by tomorrow morning. I bought the suppository laxatives as an inevitability...anyone have any experience with those, or other last minute tips and tricks?

e: well he had a nice peanut butter like streak so that’s progress...He was pushing super hard so I was surprised it wasn’t a rock, but at this point I’ll take anything

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 11, 2020

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

My 8 month old hasn't pooped all day. I think I remember hearing that 5 days isn't anything to worry about, and his cousin did 2 weeks, but was that for just newborns? when do i start panicking.

We just did a 9 day with our 9 month old. We started feeding him shredded cheese alongside his other solids and it clogged him up. After about 6 days my wife and I were like “when was the last time he pooped?” We called the doc and they said they see it a lot because cheese just does that, so feed prunes and/or beans 3 to 4 times a day, maybe mix pears in as well. He is breastfed and eats solids 3 times a day so we just did pure prune and pear purée during the solids times. After a few days of lots of farts and big pushes, he pooped on day 10 and has been fine since.

They also said some babies are fine going every couple days, but overall you know your kid. If he normally goes everyday and hasn’t gone for 3, may be a good time to put some fiber on the diet or see if any new food is causing constipation. If he goes every couple of days and it’s been 3 days, then probably not a big deal, etc.

How often does he usually poop? Has his diet changed recently?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Yea - echoing what others are saying, that sounds like it is something you can definitely talk to someone about. I’m on the fence now about doing the same for myself just because I’ve had enough episodes in the last 10 months that make me feel like something may not be ok anymore.

Awesome timing, as my post is that we are dealing with our first big head bump and we are a bit wrecked atm!

10-month old fell backwards while standing in his crib and has a couple of marks where contact was made. He only cried for a second or two and has been completely fine, except spitting up 30 minutes after the bump and after a snack, and then about an hour after while just sitting down. He is known for spitting up, especially when he is teething because he makes so much mucus and has a poor gag reflex. We called the nurse after the first one and she said really just look out for him acting dazed, forceful vomiting (vs. spitting up), or pupils outta whack - so of course 30 min later was when he spit up the second time while chewing on his binky and drooling like a faucet.

Our instincts tell us he is ok, and that any other day we wouldn’t be questioning this (bump without spit up would be ok, spit up without bump would be ok) because everything else is completely normal, but of course has to be same day/same time...we are keeping an eye on him for anything else but tonight is going to be brutal with worrying.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 17, 2020

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Squid posted:

9 month old has today climbed out of a pack and play (caught in the nick of time teetering over the top edge about to faceplant on the ground below) and to the top of a baby gate. I'm a little beside myself now figuring out how to reconfigure all baby areas.

I took his crib out and put the mattress just on the floor of his room.

Please give any other suggestions if you have them. I'm already so tired and really dreading having to be up his rear end day and night now that he can bash his brains out from heights. And nowhere safe to corral him for a minute of peace on the toilet.

He had JUST started sleeping through the night. And now I'm afraid with his mattress on the floor he will not sleep, just want to crawl around constantly. We already had a completely failed nap on the floor mattress because he was like gently caress laying here, I can just leave, so now he's good and cranky.

Able to get out of a pack and play and crib at lowest setting at 9 months? My 12 month old and all friends kids around 10-12 months still fit comfortably in their cribs and pack and plays, how is he climbing out, massive upper body strength? That’s scary

Also at 9 months I’m not sure mattress on the floor is the safest. My guy rolls around like crazy and I can definitely see if it was a few months ago he’d end up with some awkward face plants or getting all twisted up, or even worse trying to stand up or crawl and falling off the mattress from an even greater height.

It’s been a couple days - how is it working out?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

2DEG posted:

Ok, time for "Are we overreacting?"

Last time daycare had a Covid case, they shut down for just over a week to clean and required everyone to have proof of a negative test to come back. Great! This is what I expect, even though it sucked for a bit.

This time, they're doing jack and poo poo. Just the positive person is under quarantine. No shut down, no tests required, even for the kids with direct exposure. I don't see how this is good policy; even though patient 0 is out, what about the kids they exposed? They're still around, possibly continuing the spread. Plus, they tend to consolidate the kids at the end of the day as they get picked up, so even if it happens in another age group, there's still a risk he'll be exposed.

We're pulling our son out for the week, but also probably for good from this place. Found another place with spots available that has separate classrooms and actually has a policy to close down any room with a positive case for 10 days. It's way more expensive, but so is a loving ICU stay.

I'm pregnant and my husband has a not great immune system, that level of risk is just too much for us. Are we overreacting?

Not overreacting in the least.

It appears transmissibility peaks before symptoms arrive. You have to assume that everyone else in contact with the infected person is also infected. You literally can’t know otherwise unless tested! Also it is spread mainly through droplets and the air, not really contaminated surfaces.

Think of your life in 1 year. Is the frustration and extra money now offset by knowing you avoided potential COVID? Or to look at it the other way, if you or your kid or husband get COVID will you feel better having saved the time/money? Not shaming those who do, but if you have the means I’d avoid COVID at all costs.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 11, 2020

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Discussion Quorum posted:

Our kiddo started running a low fever about 36 hours ago and spiked to over 102 yesterday. Got him in to the doctor for the last slot of the day, and they confirmed it's a virus. They're sending him to Texas Children's for a covid test which, hopefully, will be same-day. Wife and I feel fine so hopefully it's just a baby thing but it's hard to not be nervous.

The broader covid issue is giving us a ton of anxiety around the things our son is missing out on. He turned 1 a couple weeks ago and he has never interacted with another child. He has seen them (at the doctor mostly, he does PT at the hospital) and is curious about them, but that's about it. Meanwhile I see relatives and friends on Facebook going to restaurants, the beach, even family reunions. When I'm really down about it, I find myself wondering why I should give a poo poo if nobody else does.

This is my mom. Constantly stirring poo poo about how my MIL gets to stay with us for several days whereas they only get to visit on weekends when I have time to entertain. It's like 1) there are some specific health-related reasons that are nunya bizness because we are not children and are entitled to some privacy, and 2) I can't trust you not to start drama and/or undermine my wife while I'm not there!

First off, I hope your young one is feeling better and test comes back negative!

We too have a “just turned” 1 year old and it is tough not letting him play too much, and are in the exact same boat w/r/t being the safer ones in our family. However, I think based on our interactions it isn’t causing anything irreversible, just kind of a bummer to us adults.

We had another 1 year old he hung out in a kiddie pool with because they are a safe family, and we had a beach day where we kept some distance from immediate family and the cousins. He does love seeing other kids, he will scream at them and sometimes squeeze their feet, but honestly he doesn’t really play with them much other than to grab the same toys and then try to put them in his mouth.

I think the big thing is really getting face time and that visual interaction so we still FaceTime almost daily with people and he has a social distance, outdoors visit with family/friends almost every weekend. I would definitely push on trying to find way to do the latter, because I just feel they get a lot out of seeing different faces and interactions, but I don’t think the risk is worth it to actually have up close experiences with people you can’t really trust.

It can be hard to delineate and identify certain activities, but the path I follow is that the main point of infection is virus expelled from the mouth and nose (even while talking) traveling through the air and getting into your eyes/mouth/nose, and people can be infectious without symptoms. Therefore the goal is to prevent those virus particles from entering your, or you children’s, body through masks, distancing, and “fresh air”.

Therefore my rules are not letting people/older kids hold him. No one gets close to him and makes noises or talks into his/our faces (surprised how many people like to blow raspberries to get a reaction...). Outdoors with ~6 ft distance I’m comfortable with no mask. And then I just feel even better if it is a windy day or like the beach which has a constant sea breeze. We don’t really linger inside and we don’t share food. I relax a bit on the adult distance with people we know are being safe, but 95% of our circle is interacting with unknowns either voluntarily or involuntarily.

We will see how the Fall & Winter go. And big caveat, we have just the singleton and stay at home Mom so definitely no judgement passed on the folks that need child care, just wanted to give my rules for those that are interested in how other like-minded people may be dealing.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 20, 2020

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Shifty Pony posted:

5:45 pm at dinner: "oh wow what an appetite, he is so excited to be eating all of his eggs!"

8:50 pm after he woke up very unexpectedly: "oh god there is egg vomit everywhere, I'll get the bath going if you swap the sheets!"

I guess a 9 month old doesn't know when to stop when they really like the taste of something? :iiam:

Is this his first time eating eggs? The timing (3 hr between eating and vomiting) is giving me PTSD when our guy had eggs. Turns out he has FPIES, basically a gastro allergic reaction to eggs that makes him vomit a lot almost exactly 3 hrs after he eats them! We are going to try again once he is closer to 2 y/o, as kids almost always grow out of it...

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Back on food chat real quick, our guy wasn’t a peanut but he is consistently around 20th percentile and was pretty picky until like 18 months and it just changed. He still has meals where he picks, but he just started demolishing his other meals in the day as opposed to it being a struggle Every. Single. Time. So a lot of the “is he eating??” Anxiety wears off (not all of it tho :) )

Also you’ll find around that age they quickly change and mature, so by 21 months now we are like “yea sure whatever he is a big boy now” and those infant-like worries just kinda phase. Either because they can communicate a lot more clearly, or you can clearly see it doesn’t bother them to be on the skinny side/miss a dinner.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

The only thing we watched out for when he wanted to walk is how floppy he was. Our boy didn’t really stop the random fall overs or running-so-fast-he-faceplants until about 20 months, and he still does the latter every now and then.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

What’s up sick summer babies! My wife got a cold, presumably from our toddler niece she saw on Wednesday and then passed to my son. I’m fine but our son woke up this morning with a 101.1 and super clingy.

We live in the northeast and everyone in contact who can be vaccinated is, and both families have very small personal circles, so COVID is pretty much a non possibility but it still sucks thinking it could be! I guess only a test will tell.

Anyways , the big achievement was getting him to finally orally accept Tylenol! He still wails and we have to bribe with tv and help him get it down, but it’s a huge improvement over him spitting it all up so we have to physically manage a high temp for 4 hours, and then go for the suppositories…

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Oh word it’s amplified by lovely parents manipulating their kids on YT to make them money? Awesome I love the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TGR8O9H5s

Fake edit: my first contribution was to say I think kids are just exposed to more scary stuff because of growing fandom among parents. Like this year a neighbor with a 6 and 9 year old already has his life size Pennywise mannequin out by the front door for Halloween. Last year one kid was Georgie and the other was Pennywise. Just how it is

But then I quickly googled Cartoon Dog and yea there ya go, like you said probably just unsupervised entertainment amplified by their being absolutely no platform-based content control

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Nessa posted:

My baby has an egg allergy too after she puked a bunch after eating scrambled eggs. We saw an allergist who put her on the egg ladder. Our main trouble was getting her to eat as much as a single bite of the ladder foods. I’m not sitting at muffins forever because she won’t eat them, so we’ve made our way to egg noodles, which it seems she will actually eat!

We’re still quite a ways from creme brûlée, but we’re on our way there!

We also got a couple of epipens, which I’m happy to have around just in case.

No word yet on vaccines, as her 12 month shots are still a few weeks away.

Just a story - our son would vomit profusely about 2-3 hours after eating eggs or even a bite of a muffin with baked egg. Like would not stop even when it was just bile.

First thought was allergy so we got an epipen, but he never had an anaphylactic reaction to eggs (hives, breathing, swelling, etc.). Docs eventually said it could be FPIES which is gastrointestinal only, so he was able to get vaccines.

We avoided eggs and anything with eggs and kept following up until he got a prick test to confirm it wasn’t a typical egg allergy, and then we waited until 2 years to work up the egg ladder because that’s when kids start to grow out of FPIES and his initial reactions were so strong.

Anyways, passing it along because of your first story there reminded me and I like to share for people dealing with youngins getting stomach sick with certain foods, FPIES isn’t really well researched and can apply to all different types of foods, so it took a bit to get that diagnosis. And it was nice to know how we didn’t have to avoid being around eggs, just not letting him eat it for a year lol

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Manwithastick posted:

We had our first child last Thursday and as a new dad I am petrified of carrying him - I constantly worry about hurting his neck, pressing his soft spot or dropping him - any tips?

Also burping - really struggle with that one. I can do over the shoulder burping but the one on the lap, I can’t get my head around

Congrats!!

Honestly it’s all practice. I was nuts the first like two days my son was born, and during his first bath my wife and I were both super anxious with like steadying his head but not letting him flop and whatever. Just keep doing it, definitely make sure you are comfortable but push yourself. Maybe start with just holding him while sitting down, trying a few different positions, then standing up and carrying when you feel like you have him secure. To take your mind off it you can also play some soothing music and rock the baby/sway back and forth.

I have a dad friend with a 2.5 y/o and he constantly doubted himself to the point where he doesn’t do much with his son because the second the kid cries “mommy” or whines he thinks he is loving up or isn’t good enough or something and goes for the hand off to Mom. Kinda wild.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

1) it sucks that something is working through the family that officially has me as the “most sick”. I’ve always been the one with a 8 hr headache and then gone, as my wife and toddler went through days of agony. Stuck in sweats and the child’s, but at least COVID neg so far :/

2) Any suggestions on getting a recent 3 y/o to not bust out “you gently caress” when he is mad at someone? He picked it up from a same-aged cousin about 3 months ago. My in-laws were able to get the cousin to stop saying it (probably with disciplinary measures); however, with my son we’ve tried ignoring it, guiding him to use different words, giving him ultimatums - and he still just whips it out, almost subconsciously, for even pretty low stakes situations. Example:

Us: “hey buddy you need to stop playing to go peepee in the potty”

Him: “no I don’t want to”

Us: “Just a quick peepee, so you don’t have an accident, and then you can go back to playing”

Him: “no, you gently caress. I don’t want to stop playing”

Us: :doh:

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

gbut posted:

In my house, Thomas the "know your place, prole" Tank Engine is on that list too.

I put on an older episode and was a bit shocked at just how rude everyone was to Thomas lol, straight up nasty bullying.

My son is 3. I usually stick to PBS Kids, Tumbleleaf, and kiddie Disney, but he is obsessed with the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie cartoon. It’s pretty innocent and not too flashy/fast paced. Sometimes we just watch trail cams on YouTube.

I honestly don’t think what they watch matters (as long as it is age appropriate). But, he gets wicked tunnel vision with screens, so we do try to avoid Blippi/Cocomelon/PinkFong just so I feel better that what he watching is a bit less stimulating. Yet he still gets upset when screen time is over and parrots lines from the shows he does watch, so ymmv.

…Ok to be a bit more honest at least for Blippi, ever since I found out he was a failed comedian with a loving awful compass as to what is funny and what he would do for internet fame, I’ve had zero interest in signal boosting his poo poo. Literally.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Kin - I just want to second the diaper approach. When our son was young and went through some long illnesses that’s always what the nurse wanted us to focus on. Also highly recommend bland, favorite foods that you know don’t cause problems. My wife slapped me over the head once when our son was coming out of a sickness and I served him some new type of hummus we got!

Are you taking their temperature? That’d be pretty telling as well as to why they may be feeling run down.

Lastly, I think a few days is a fine threshold for seeing a healthcare provider, especially when you just have no idea what it could be; however, Im a big fan of intuition and if you just know something ain’t right, make an appointment (and hopefully you have the means, I know it isn’t easy for all parents to go on a whim)

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

That’s weird to me, a dad. Who wants to be kissing other peoples kids?

Also, it is borderline-paranoid, but I am de facto a bit more aware of male adults who voluntarily choose to spend time around a lot of children. There are for sure saints out there, but it was pretty eye opening as an adult to discover how many people I know were inappropriately touched or harassed by a teacher/coach/organizer/etc. and didn’t really process it until later in life.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 5, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

nachos posted:

Parenting a high anxiety toddler is so exhausting. The recommended strategy is exposure so it’s just nonstop tantrums if we decide we aren’t going to let the OCD poo poo run our lives. And then you get the looks from other parents who have no idea how easy they have it.

Can I ask you, how did you come to find they were high anxiety?

My wife and I often reflect on our own anxieties and she has OCD. When we see our son acting anxious in situations, I’m always kind of wondering if it something to be more aware of. I don’t feel like his feelings about things have really disrupted a normal day very often, so maybe much ado about nothing, but there are moments.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 25, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Not as big as a scooter, but we bribed hard with TV. If he goes poop in potty he gets TV even if it is like 15 minutes after he wakes up. Same thing, he was about 2 1/2 maybe (and ready to be trained), and it was golden.

Some kids aren’t like that, so ymmv, but after about 6 months he basically stopped demanding TV after/doing it for TV explicitly.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Idk if it is a leap or what but my 3.5 year old is on like day 4 of being full on awake for an hour or more starting at 3:30am. Questions about random stuff, telling me about dreams or things he wants to do. Bud, I want to sleep.

I’ve finally gotten my way out of having to lay in the room with him but he still either comes into our room or calls me on 3-4 times. At least we are getting him a real bed soon so I can lay on that instead of being on the nugget with a kid sized blanket lol

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

+1 to the Radio flyer. We looked at a lot of reviews but at the end of the day wanted something cheaper, and lighter, and it is great for our 3 y/o.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Maybe around 2.5 we started the potty. He was great at peeing in it but not pooping. I don’t think we had to convince much for the pee.

We basically just bribed hard for poop, promising an ep of Bluey afterwards. We honored it literally no matter what (“8:00 in the morning? Here is a Bluey”). Wanted to go that route because around 18mon+ he had some serious bouts of constipation and so we wanted to make it as enjoyable an experience as possible. FWIW we started bribing with a chocolate chip but he is way more into TV than food, so it switched to Bluey.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Welp, wife is a week overdue so today we head in to begin prep for induction, with planned induction tomorrow!

Our first is almost 4 so it seems like the infant days are so long ago, but hoping for some smooth sailing and that it mostly comes back quickly. Looking forward to posting again from the 4/8/12/16 month sleep regressions zones!!!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Woohoo healthy baby girl born last night!

Booo 4yr old son has a 102*F fever today

Lmao just kill me now how do we even handle this

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

in_cahoots posted:

My life got easier when I realized that things like Wonder Weeks are bullshit, wake windows are mostly made up, and 90% of the sleep schedules you read online use the maximum of whatever range of sleep is normal at a given age. It’s all built to convince parents that (a) their kid is abnormal in some way and (b) buying this specific product will solve all of their problems.

The first 3 months are basically survival mode. Try to keep the baby fed and diapered, and try not to kill yourself (or your marriage / other support systems) in the process. Everything else is a pleasant surprise.

Oh and this never ends by the way. Kids have a magical sense for when is the worst time to alter sleep. My son dropped his 2nd nap on Thanksgiving. He dropped his remaining nap on my first day of a new WFH job. Now he suddenly decided to start waking up 2hrs earlier just a couple days after his baby sister came home.

I love it!!!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

My son is almost 4 and he really likes Ravensburger World of Disney Eye Found It Board Game.

It is Co-Op, everyone tries to reach the finish before Maleficent powers up which occurs incrementally as the spinner lands on the Maleficent numbers. so it may not help with the Win vs. Lose, except maybe it frames it more as “us against bad luck” versus “us against each other, I win, you lose”

As for how to address losing in general, beats me. We are trying to just teach him it’s about having fun because there are no real stakes in the games we play, but he still keys in on wanting to win most of the time.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Brawnfire posted:

Stop asking me detailed questions about what just happened on Rosie's Rules

Do you really think I'm paying close attention to Rosie's Rules

When my son was a little younger, he saw a scene with the little brother and a stuffy or something, but I think it was an interstitial or just a really short scene.

Cue 60+ min of him desperately asking for me to tell him the name of the baby’s stuffy on Rosie’s rules, but not able to articulate anything else that would help me find what he was taking about.

e: Also hitting 4 wks with baby #2, and she is doing great and much easier than her brother was. Unfortunately, I’m on son duty from wake up to bed time and then I hold the baby for a couple hours so my wife can shower/do night routine/polish off some housework, and holy poo poo is this a grind. I shouldn’t have asked for the new Zelda game for Father’s Day, I’m getting like sub-5 hrs of sleep every night…oops

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 27, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

2DEG posted:

OH BOY, taking my already terrified of doctors 5yo to the ENT next week because he's snoring like a bear and having goddamn apnea episodes at night. Took a peek and his tonsils are loving huge, practically touching. It's been a couple of weeks and no change, so oh boy tonsillectomy here we come, probably.

Hey kid-with-big-tonsils Haver! Hope the appointment goes well for them. Did they have any day symptoms like excess drowsiness or avoiding rigid foods?

About a year ago my 4yo’s dentist was like, “woah he has big tonsils” and gave us the run down of signs of apnea. He doesn’t seem to have any except he tossed and turns through most of the night, and the doc seemed a bit surprised, so I’m nervous I’m missing something…but I end up in his bed most nights and he isn’t snoring and don’t think he has episodes so guess I just gotta be on the lookout for if he grows into them or something changes

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like my 3.5 year old son is constantly angry at home. Always upset at something, always upset that he’s not eating a popsicle or watching TV or outside riding bikes (it’s 95 degrees in humid Florida where it feels like 108).

He’s apparently very happy in daycare so I’m just wondering if we’re doing something wrong at home. I feel like we do our best to interact and play with him but he’s always just angry compared to his twin sister.

I guess it’s just a phase but it’s been very frustrating having a screaming toddler for much of the day for the past few weeks

I’m not here to litigate on a specific thing a kid does, but for my 3.5 y/o once we were 3 days into “no TV summer” he was like a different kid. Found new ways to entertain himself, stopped with “I’m bored. I don’t know what to do.”, the obvious “when can we watch TV”, and just overall was much happier throughout the whole day.

We broke the rule for a couple challenging days and it’s like watching the TV suck out his brain and ruin his mood the moment the program ends.

When we took it away we really just wanted him to stop having meltdowns when a show ended. I didn’t think it was going to improve his demeanor and emotional control across-the-board.

My example isn’t to say “take away TV”, but I wonder if there is a specific activity of trigger at home that just gets him in that upset mood or stirs something up. From the other end maybe you could try to replicate some of the things from daycare?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

in_cahoots posted:

So how sick was your son when he woke up? My toddler slept in by 30 minutes and he’s currently napping on me with a 102 degree fever.

I started kissing my sons’s forehead every day before I left for work because he’d naturally wake up about 10 minutes after I left, and I’d gotten extreme PTSD from the many times I pulled into the parking lot to a “he is still sleeping” text, and then as I get to my desk - “he has a fever…”

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Not to pile on those who keep a full schedule but I feel the same way.

Was talking to one mom and she brought up her 7 y/o doing tackle football. Before school started it was 3-5pm practice 5 days a week, now with school it’s 6-8pm practice 3 days a week. They watch film and review Xs and Os game plans.

My jaw hit the floor. Who is that for?! Even she didn’t understand it but I guess her son really wanted to play football. Not only is that insane hours for a 7 y/o, but now 3 times a week they probably can’t even have a sit down family dinner (sorry little brother). Seems way more disruptive than worth it.

I also grew up as a non-sport-doer besides some school based stuff here and there when I was older (golf, track, rec basketball). But just objectively that seems like a bad time…

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

A Bad King posted:

Hi Thread. Dealing with some drama with a decision the wife and I made and my extended family.

Am I the jerk in this scenario:

Cousin and his wife married in September. Used to be close with this cousin but he dropped off the earth for two decades so far. They invited us to their adults-only/no-kids wedding and we turned it down. Got two little ones at home and didn't want to travel across the country, find a babysitter in a wholly different town, and attend a wedding.

My whole family, mom and sister included, are "extremely disappointed?" They're bringing it up every phone conversation. I live 900 miles away. They're crazy, right? I wanted to go, told my cousin this, but turned down an RSVP and said why in a phone call that took 5 minutes and was the first time I heard his voice in 10 years.

Family is blaming my wife. Blaming me. Blaming my inlaws who nanny for us. They're guilting me now for not wanting to attend my grandmother's 92nd birthday bash with just her grandchildren, which means I go bachelor and leave a 3 year old and a 1yr old with the wife for two whole days. The 1yr old still doesn't sleep through the night, and the 3yr old doesn't sleep without me. I just don't know why I'm the bad guy if they're setting the conditions that leave me out of things.

We are parenting two tykes. Did they forget what that means?!

OP how often do your mother and sister see you?How often do you see your in-laws?

Seems like this may be a manifestation of Family FOMO with their brother/son.

This happened to me a bit. My in-laws had cookouts, put up for family vacations, thought of fun day trip ideas, etc. (and my wife is super close to her mom & sister) so of course we did a ton together. Well my side is very passive aggressive so instead of actually trying to do more, they focused on the negative-side of criticizing me when I couldn’t do things no matter what the excuse, because basically I spend more time with the more interesting people…oops

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

We had to unexpectedly put down our 11 y/o family dog on Monday. Really he was my wife and I’s dog and was there for every milestone in our relationship basically. It’s gutting us and I feel like a poo poo dad because it has been incredibly difficult for me to not be sad and detached around the kid.

My wife and I each lost a parent last year, but my son wasn’t even 3 so he was a lot less emotionally aware while we were grieving. Now at 4 he’s really picking up on it, acting out/getting frustrated at not getting attention, and even took it to Pre-K where he “played vet and helped doggies breathe, and one of them was our doggie”

When I told him doggie was gone, I could tell he was getting a bit upset and holding it back, so I thought it’d be good to show him being sad and having emotions is ok - but I can tell now that my authenticity is wearing thin. It’s getting better everyday but man does it suck. My wife is the same way but she’s more focused on caring for our infant so she has a bit more privacy.

Anyways, just a rant. Hopefully tomorrow and the following days will be easier, but sorry little guy, I just got some sad brains :/