Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
This is a wagon and it is mine
Day I bought it:

Kinda like it is now:

RCE T1s (Kw V2s)
Cusco 1-way front diff
forged pistons
almost all the rubber bits have been replaced
now RPF-1s as the SSRs died :(
Intercooler, downpipe, etc

nm fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That and the new outback are SUVs at this point.

zundfolge posted:

Same way VW did it with the T3/T4-you make the engine flat so that it fits under the floor. :v:

Hello, subaru? I have a proposal for you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Does anything with 400hp get an EPA 30mpg, even HWY (under current method)?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I saw an E63 AMG wagon today at the supermarket. I suspect other people were wondering why I was staring at a wagon.
The owner appeared to be a man of wealth and taste.

How many of those have they sold in the US anyhow? I suspect they're rarer than many Ferraris or Lamborghinis.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

GramCracker posted:

Yea, the E Class AMG wagons are very rare and still command a premium.

I was reading some article about them and Mercedes says that the target demographic for that car has an estimated income of something like $650,000+ :eek: Long story short, it's a car created for a VERY niche market, and each one now is custom ordered/made.

Yeah, my city has a lot of old (for California) money (my neighbor has a batmobile) and he headed off in that direction.
Mercedes wagons are very popular here, both new and bank vault era, but an e63 wagon, I think that is only my second sighting and that was probably the same car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

parrhesia posted:

Those must be US-only numbers. I see AMG E-Class wagons fairly regularly and they're definitely not exciting enough for me to take pictures of (though maybe I should now?).

To confirm I just checked a big used car website and right now and there are 60+ E55 and 50+ E63 wagons for sale on that site, so while they are fairly rare, they are not exceedingly so in Germany. FD RX-7s or 240Zs are a lot more rare, for example. Or CTS-Vs wagons.

Wagons in general are extremely rare. Fast wagons are even rarer. Fast wagons that cost as much as an R8 are rarer then hens teeth.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

leica posted:

How lovely are the Passat and Jetta wagons? They look really nice and are getting around the 5k range. I'd like to look into one but the VW's track record sucks.

The Mazda 6 wagon looks like it might be a better option.

What year?

Passat:
1998-2005? Fairly lovely, but nice. See Audi A4. A manual V6 wouldn't be terrible beyond oil leaks and emissions issues. I wouldn't touch an automatic or a 1.8T that hasn't been owned by someone who has kept every receipt and has a mild case of OCD.
2006+ -- Less lovely (at least in 2.0 trim, the 3.6 had some major issues), but certainly not mazda 6 level. Less nice than a b5

Jetta:
MKIV: Hahahaha!
MKV: Honestly I haven't heard that many bad things. Some carbon issues with the 2.0T and some issues with TDI owners who used cheap oil seems about it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I read on the internet that Cadillac is killing the CTS and CTS-V wagons due to loving awful sales. Which is the inherent problem with wagons. A bunch of nerds on the internet are like SELL ME A WAGON VERSION, MR. OEM! and then when the OEM actually ponies up they're like You Want What For That??? and they just go buy a used Volvo or Audi.

If Mercedes can sell a random $100,000 wagon to rich weirdos (at a loss, I'd assume), Cadillac should do the same with a $60,000 wagon.
Someone theorized that these cars were not about volume but to get car guys to geek out about a brand and tell other people.
That has some ring of truth as I was at the autoshow with my dad (who can afford such things) and geeked out over the CTS-V wagon for like 20 minutes afterwhich i ranted about how I much better caddy is now that 10 years ago. So yeah.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DreamOn13 posted:

Crosspost from the Subaru thread. Just picked it up on Tuesday, already loving it.

I'm still not convinced these count as wagons, but it is a way to start the addiction.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Four Banger posted:

How can you say the current Forester is a wagon, but not the Flex? I would also argue that the current gen Forester is an SUV at this point.
Yeah, a flex is more of a wagon than a Forester at this point.

DreamOn13 posted:

I don't get how it isn't? Does it need more glass and cargo space for you? No, it's no buick roadmaster but I think it fits the description just fine.

Wagons should have a bit more space behind the rear seat, but at the end of the day, we're few in numbers and will take anyone without a trunk.

Sir Cornelius posted:

Have we discussed the original Morris Mini Clubman Estate yet?

By your definitions it's not a Station Wagon. I disagree.
2dr wagons count as wagons, just as a P1800ES or Nomad would. Back doors not reqired. Why? Because they're awesome.

nm fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 16, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

StarcraftM posted:

Oh man, I am tempted by that. Where are you located? Guessing someplace that isn't the northeast because of the lack of rust

Audi may not be good at much, but rust proofing is their forte. Anything built after the early 90s almost certainly won't have rust unless it has been crashed and poorly repaired.
Heck, that car probably hasn't had its rust warranty expire yet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

blk posted:

I'm not that familiar with modern Volvo's - where does 110k fall in the lifespan, and what tends to become trouble around then?

These things really seem to have held their value.

My friend has a V60R of this generation, and it is completely unreliable. It has had AT issues (admittedly not a problem witha stick), raditor replaced, diff issues, hilariously expensive shocks (book they are almost $1000/corner, but you can do quite a bit cheaper), etc.
I think it is about 100k mi.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DropShadow posted:

Skip the 2.8l engine, it's a turd. I wouldn't buy a B5 that wasn't a 1.8T A4 or a 2.7T S4, but I wouldn't use either of those motors to tow either. I'd look at the Subarus you mentioned instead.

The 30V 2.8 is boring, but certainly the most reliable motor of the three. Yes, it leaks oil (just like the 2.7, which is virtually the same motor with turbos attached) and eats cats (note that the only cat I know of that passes CARB is the OEM and they are shockingly expensive). The long 1.8T is a massive piece of poo poo. Even if it hasn't sludged up by now, it will have a host of issues. The 2.7TT is a cool motor, but not exactly a reliable motor (beyond the internals, which is just a 2.8 anyhow) esp if you keep the K03s.

If you care about reliability at all though, you'll skip B5 (A4 and Passat) entirely if just for the front end. Also, if you're buying an automatic, anyone without fairly regular fluid changes (counter the the "lifetime" rec) is few miles away from losing key gears like reverse.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Crustashio posted:

And even then the cool volvos are rare as hell. I've seen ONE 850R and it needed both a new transmission and turbo. Still wanted 3k for it. I gave up looking for wagons, everything is either way overpriced compared to the sedan counterpart (Audi/VW B5s, BMW e46s), has rust issues (Subaru I'm looking at you) or is boring and FWD. Still holding out hope that I'll find a reasonably priced Passat V6 4motion with a stick.

Are you in the US and talking about the b5? Because production numbers of b5 passat wagons with stick, the v6, and 4mo was in the single digits. Literally a unicorn.

As for the b6, there were so many early engine failures on those, it was scary.

The good news is that from what I can tell 4th gen legacies finally have rustproofing that isn't a joke (brake lines excluded, but they recall will hopefully pick). Too bad that unless you want an outback, the nas are rare as hell and the turbos are rare and expensive.

I'm just hoping manual ctsv wagon prices will crash. That's likely right?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Crustashio posted:

poo poo, didn't realize the passat 5speeds with AWD were so rare.

No V6 4mo were officially sold with a stick, but a few (under 10 for both sedans and wagons) were imported by VWoA for company cars so they're federalized but very rare.

The impreza is an old design built in a different factory in a different country. The OB is built in a newer plant in the US and uses rust proofing. Same rust proofing as the camrys that come out of the same plant.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

Turbo timer means that all of the security system in that car is compromised, including alarm and immobilizer. The rest is awesome, but that little part makes me really wary as the wiring to put one in a modern car is complex and easily ruined.

Also, if you have a modern water cooled turbo, you really don't need a turbo timer. Maybe idle for a touch when you have really hot temps, but turbo timers are really over kill.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

toplitzin posted:

What about the SRT8 version of the Magnum?

A very different car. Much heavier to drive, but fun it is own way.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

I think that actually, the vast majority of real car enthusiasts would poo poo bricks of joy upon the return of little econoboxes with minimal features and 4/5 speed sticks. Hell make it 5/6 speed cause it's 2013. We all need a tin can to get our asses to our day jobs so we can work on our Boss 427 Cleveland Hemi MustangCudas over the weekend

Your problem segment is the other 98% of car owners that now evidently consider things like backup cameras and flip down DVD screens to be _standard_ equipment. They're not going to buy a $10k car when they can get a $35k Altima or whatever the gently caress for ;siren: the same monthly payment! :siren:

You can get a mazda 2 that has ac for like $13-14k out the door with a slick 5 speed. It even has monotube shocks and three digits of horsepower. Yet, no one, not even enthusiasts, bought them (except me and one other ai guy).
Edit: It is even hilariously to parallel park.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^
Downhills

IOwnCalculus posted:

It'd probably improve - one of the Mazda2's biggest strikes against it in the cost-is-everything market is that it comes in a bit on the thirty side, especially with the ancient automatic, and that's before you even get the 3cyl Fiesta to compare to.
It's real strike is that Mazda hasn't gamed the EPA tests. My commute constantly beats 35 mpg, even with stop and go. One of the magzines said after the long term test, it was the only recent b segment car to meet or exceed its EPA mixed estimate.
That said, I clearly get why people get the fiesta -- toys! (Though the toys make it so heavy, the base motor fiesta is slower than an mt 2 despite have 20hp on it). Also, no one should ever buy an automatic 2., just a terrible transmission for 2013.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

The WRX is a complete hoot and I could see myself on the receiving end of some nasty speeding tickets. I drove my coworker's 2011 with a Cobb 1 map, and the car was slammed packed and there was traffic on the freeway onramp, found an opening on the freeway, took it to just before fuel cut in 3rd, tapped the gas in 4th, brushed the brakes in 5th, and then looked down at the speedo: 100mph.

The only time I've hit 100 in the 2 was driving solo on VIR's front straight; I gained 7mph without a passenger.
This is a plus to the 2, it is very hard to get a 100mph ticket in.

Also, dailying a 100hp car and owning a 300hp car deals with the getting used to it factor. The engine mod bug is basically killed in me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I always wondered. What if they just sold fast, manual wagons. Seems like 98% of would be wagon buyers are enthusiasts. Problem is that 98% of wagon buying enthusiasts are cheap bastards who buy used.

Pretty sure I've seen more CTS-V wagons than CTS wagons.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

delpheye posted:

I started looking around at wagons recently since I began to miss my old Volvo wagon. I found this and I'm curious if I should even waste my time. I really like the aesthetics, and who wouldn't want a twin turbo AWD wagon?

I showed it to the gf, and I didn't expect the look of total disgust on her face. I thought that was weird but it sparked a larger conversation at work today and we've come to the conclusion that girls don't like wagons. None of us understand why, though one woman said, "I don't want to drive a car that looks like I might have 2 kids in the back." That's as close to an explanation as any of us have gotten.

No, it is more of a non-car person thing. I know plenty of women who like wagons and plenty of men who hate them. You either get them or you don't. Generally the same people who hate wagons love CUVs for some horrible reason.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DropShadow posted:

C5 allroads are awesome. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a 6-speed example last year that was beautifully preserved and mechanically sound for $5k. They are all over the place here in Minnesota, and people hang onto them. I've got a friend who just bought a Tial big turbo kit for his. With a tune, he'll be over 500chp.
They're awesome until something breaks. Air suspension, a 2.7TT, and random early 00 audi poo poo would terrify me. Even the C5 S6 seems less scary by comparison (though the 2.7TT has much more potential than the V8).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Please tell me the outback with the roof box ran too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

alternate.eago posted:

I just noticed how cheap coil-overs are for the JSW. It's retarded that I can buy a decent set of coil-overs for like $600. WTF The Tiens I bought for my st165 where like $2200.

You're gonna have to define "decent set" because I doubt it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

Saw a couple of new wagons that I ~hope~ make it over here, or at least to Canada:

Mazda6

I saw these in Iceland. They are even better looking in person.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Tremek posted:

I haven't seen another wagon in months, -V or otherwise. They're rare all over, which makes for some very confused people sometimes. A guy on a brand new Harley VRod wanted to play yesterday, and got on it next to me at a light and probably had a full second jump on me. By 4th I was ahead of him and then backed out of it. Some kids in an Altima come screaming up beside me at the next light and stared, very confused, for the 30 seconds it took for the light to change. CTS wagons are fun. :)

There's like 2-3 v wagons in Redlands, CA. We also have an E63 AMG wagon here. Dunno why, but cool i guess.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Head gaskets (ej22 supremacy).

Seriously, I don't know. It's not like you need a whole new engine for a head gasket. I'd understand if nm got a few spare blocks, though. He's got the shittiest luck with his Forester XT.

Its a legacy wagon, not a forester. I wouldn't own an SUV.
Also, yes, gently caress EJ257s forever.

savesthedayrocks posted:

I like that you put the privacy screen up so nobody tries to steal your engine.
I'd have stolen it a few weeks ago if it was an EJ255/7 case.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

angryrobots posted:

So I was trolling craigslist for something with 4 doors, economical and dead reliable to daily, with a manual transmission.

Had pretty much resigned to buying a corolla, when I came across a car (well technically a trim) that I had never heard of.

Matrix XRS. 6 speed, 180 HP, 8200 rpm redline, 11.5:1 CR. I'd call it a wagon with the extra window and pillar. Apparently it has more interior volume than a wrx. It's still an economy car (28-31 mpg), and clunky in its ways, but enough fun to keep me entertained.

Engine is essentially the same as in a Lotus Elise/Exige. The transmission might be too?
Allegedly the Exige supercharger will bolt on.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, I thought Subaru and Toyota were owned by the same parent company. Why would they be buying shares in a company owned by their parent company? That sounds like a waste of money.

Because they aren’t?
Both Toyota and FHI have small stakes in each other, share the FRS\BRZ, and SVA makes some Toyotas in Indiana.
Toyota owns 16% of FHI and FHI owns a very small part of Toyota.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

2003 Scooby Outback. The subaru 6-cyls kinda suck. Far better choice than the Audi .

How do you figure? I mean the fe isn't great, but otherwise that was a pretty solid motor.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Cthulhuite posted:

That Volvo 850 sold :(

He BMW 3 series is looking like our best bet, unless anyone has good things to say about 2001-05 VW Passats? Was the much Audi/VW crossover in those years that'd make them a bad buy?

Edit: This seems like a great price for a 2004 Passat with under 200K Km. V6, leather, all of that's for 3999. Can't seem to find many complaints over it online. Thoughts?

Its a B5.5 passt which means suspension issues, automatic transmission issues, and a 2.8l 30v motor which is stout if you ignore the oil leaking from everything.
Look at 1996-2001 audi a4s, it is the same car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

leica posted:

poo poo, after reading that Mazda 6 wagons are having issues now, E46 wagons are back on the short list. At least the issues are known and easy to deal with.

Huh? The mazda6 wagon is just a fusion wagon and those are pretty solid driverrain wise.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

leica posted:

A couple people were complaining about them a page or two back, but I think it's isolated stuff because I've never heard any bad things about them until now. Going to be looking at a fully loaded '06 with 128k for $3500, if everything goes well it will be in my driveway.

I think they were complaining about the speed6, which has a completely different drivetrain.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

I want an E39 5-series wagon and I'm not entirely sure why.

Because they are the best looking wagon?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea we were wondering why they stole her car cause it was so old and a Buick but the cops said the same thing about how easy they are to steal. I loved that engine, it has 160hp and it was faster than the 1990 Z24 3.1 I had at the time which was 130 or 140hp or something like that.

Most of the cars stolen are older cars now because they are way easier to steal than modern cars.
Most of my clients seemed to have been arrested in 90s hondas for a reason.
Older cars also have better market for used parts as owners of new cars tend to buy new parts/have warranties.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

My neighbor has a V60 polestar. In white.
Seriously, so close to perfection and you drop the ball like that? I think volvo only makes those in not swedish racing green to show people how perfect that color is.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Guess which procedure starts with "remove engine"?
all of them. Including o2 sensors
You havr to remove the headlights to change the low beams, which may require service position. (They have a little cap in the back, but with the special NLA W8 hids, the cap is blocked by the frame. Vw folks.)
They also take a huge amount of very special oil. Like 993 oil change prices
They sound amazing, the 6-speed is from the S4, as are the brakes, and the suspension is IIRC a weird hybrid of a4 and a6. They also have a really nice torque curve. You can toodle along at 10mph in 6th and also alledgely do 180.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

scuz posted:

If your alternator dies, you'll have to do a coolant flush (it's water-cooled) and since you need to remove the remote oil pump to get to the alternator, you'll have to replace all ~8 quarts of 0w30 in addition to the coolant which is like $30/gallon.

Oh, and if your thermostat goes, you'll have to disassemble the intake system down to the block to replace it. And you'll have to spend $400 on the thermostat. If you can find one for sale.

In like 2008 or something, a dealership dropped a bolt down a W8 intake manifold while doing spark lugs destroying the motor. VW quoted them like $25k for a new shortblock (before labor) because it had to be made one off. In 2008, 3 years after it was discontinued. Good luck getting one now.
The dealership gave the guy a new v6 08 Passat instead IIRC.

• Locked thread