Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I... is that a weed fedora?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wonder if we as Americans have more common ground on quite a few things but then find out things get spun by certain members of the media (read: Fox News) that cause us to not accomplish much? It seems all the time we end up not solving problems because some angle related to race will get tossed into the argument.

You've hit on a nerve that is important - a lot of the power of American (in particular) politics is making it a Team A vs. Team B mentality that allows no compromise between two positions. Almost every time you have people in a room (or in a phone conversation) talking to each other, the partisanship tends to fade away. Whereas forum posts and emails are rarely productive, things from telephone calls to sitting next to each other on a show tend to end up with greater convergence.

Not to say that's a rule, because it really isn't, but overall the trend seems to remain. Having people talk in a proper setting is much less bullshit-partisan.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Well and I've had good, civilized conversations with quite a few people on the right. We disagree, but we ended up (again) finding common agreement on things.

What also ends up happening is you'll bring up something like "You know Millennials. You have kids that are Millenials. Fox News is at least partially, if not fully full of poo poo to imply what they're implying". Then they'll clarify and end up just insisting that they mean't the minority of people are like that, not the majority.

The hope of the future is those of us who keep pushing (gently) on this, as I see it. Of course I'm more than happy to be wrong and for the struggle to be less up-hill.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

They already sort of trie something like this. It was called ConservativeBook or Reagan Book or Freedombook. Something like that. It was dumb and hilarious.

Yeah, and liberals (including SA) trolled it out of business.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

googling Why does Barack Obama hate the Constitution gets me:

1.) Guns

2.) Executive orders letting in furriners also net neutrality

2.) He won't let states secede

in that order

This is three fifths of the reason they think he hates the constitution.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bushiz posted:

what do you suppose the matt walsh sex scandal will be

that he ever had it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

I'm not certain Buzzfeed is the liberal version of any drat thing, but if there's a conservative version of it, it's probably like... Infowars.

The actual journalism on Buzzfeed (which they finance with their clickbait bullshit) tends to veer pretty left-wing. Not communist or anything like that, but by and large it reveals lovely things by the right-wing, and it's actually accurate.

In comparison Breitbart is also a clickbait site with 'real' 'journalism' or as it's usually known, yellow journalism. Its stories range from true, but of little interest, all the way to 'plainly manufactured to attack someone.'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

That's the difference between the fringe left and fringe right. The left has plenty of 9/11 Truthers and anti-vaccine people and apparently anti-mind control leaders. But by and large the left calls them crazy and isolates them. The right embraces its crazy and defends them because they just see "allies."

This is always an interesting one, that it's ascribed to the left-wing when it's a bipartisan piece of quackery. Not claiming you did this, by the way, but your post just reminded me about it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

9/11 truthers are pretty bipartisan too. Most of the ones I've vaguely known have been libertarian or anarchist. A lot of the crazier conspiracy theories seem to join together at the ends of the spectrum. Both sides hate and fear Monsanto for example but the left views it as the evils of corporations while the right views it as evils of government control

Oh yeah conspiracy theories are all over the spectrum. That said... I don't think there are many left-wing "JEWS CONTROL THE MEDIA/WORLD" types, although there's guaranteed to be at least one.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Those types are sometimes attracted to groups and events that advocate for Palestinians, though, which tend to be left-leaning.

Maybe, although the British Nazi National Nazi Party support Palestinian Arabs because gently caress THE JEWS. That said, they also say those same Palestinians should Stay There. Nice solidarity guys.

Soviet Commubot posted:

Judging from comments on French news articles there seems to be a whole bunch of left-wing "FREEMASONS CONTROL THE MEDIA/WORLD" types.

Gawd they could at least choose a competent shadowy group to blame things on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jurgan posted:

I don't know if there's an equivalent group in the Eastern world- Tibetans?

Americans.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

robotsinmyhead posted:

The best part is that there is no why. Why would Hillary and Obama do this? Oh, because they're evil - evil for evil's sake.

It's like right wingers believe they live in a world where people behave like cartoon supervillains. I think it's the one thing that really confuses me on a functional level. If you ask them why Hillary and Obama would do something like this, they replay with "Because they hate America and they shred the Constitution. Oh and they lie" No benefit, no reason, just BECAUSE.

Being fair, the GOP basically are cartoon villains, complete with genre-mandated incompetence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Radish posted:

I used to think Captain Planet's rogue gallery was ridiculously absurd since they cared about polluting first and the monetary gain from that second but after seeing a lot of people deciding that loving over the Earth and making light of animal suffering is awesome (partly because it pisses off those dirty tree huggers) I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Yeah there's been a major increase in spite-based policy from the Republicans lately. A few posters keep referring to them as Team Rocket and it really does feel accurate, although they have nothing as cute as Meowth.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Radish posted:

The members of Team Rocket are actually decent and thrust into their roles by plot circumstances and the requirement of a kids show to have antagonists.

Well yes, but it was more the "stupid plot of the week" and habit of BLASTING OFF AGAIN which the GOP manage to do on their stupid outrage of the week.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The repetition thing is a key piece of campaigning. The Tories here in Britain have gotten it down to an art form and it would be funny if it wasn't so annoying that when members of parliament in the government ask questions they put in every single campaign phrase into their sentences regardless of how stilted or grammatically incorrect it makes the sentence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

McAlister posted:

In a very real sense she is his sugar momma - not the other way around. She financed his early political career and nurtured his ambitions to the detriment of her own.

Things like that are why the Democratic Primary this year has been rather heartening - in that both major contestants are decent people, with their flaws, but people who care about people.

Compare and contrast to the other side where cheeto hitler outlasted the zodiac killer, human embodiment of the colour grey, a mad doctor, the stupidest bush and many others... it's a good time to hate the Republican Party. Mind you, it's always a good time, at least since the later 20th century

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My favourite thing about the image is them saying that Liberals are starting to get desperate about Benghazi. :ironicat:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FMguru posted:

That's one of the great Freeper tells - when they start loudly reassuring each other that liberals are panicking or desperate or terrified, it's a sign that their narrative is starting to crumble and they desperately need to reinforce it and that they've taken a hit that they can't shrug off. "The way liberals won't stop talking about Romney's 47% comment just shows how desperate they are!!1!"

A marked contrast to the Reince Priebus method of just going "this is fine" over and over again as an rear end in a top hat satsuma rolls over his party establishment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Radish posted:

It's not just Hillary. The narrative of "rich, ivory tower liberals telling you, the working man, what to do!" is very strong. Contrast that to Romney the rich child and Tom Cotton with their multiple Ivy league degrees.

It's always been a strange irony that the Republican Party dogmatically tell you what to do while demanding the Democrats don't tell people what to do.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Maybe it's a USPol thing.

USPol is a different species of goon, hairier of chin and airier of brane

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This been deleted, what did it say?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Why do I get the feeling that's showing anti-sympathy for the Florida victims?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So only 50 people suffered homophobia in the attack and the other 53 are just whiny entitled liberals?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ben Shapiro's distancing from Breitbart takes a new left turn

https://twitter.com/fakemikemulloy/status/743598848598147072

:laugh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Is Lies My Teacher Told Me still considered pretty decent? Some of the professors used it as a textbook when I was in college.

Yes, it's still fantastic. To aid the poster asking about it, it's "Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Book Got Wrong" by James Loewen.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://twitter.com/patrickruffini/status/744527267087384576

What is the reason people's handles have ((( ))) on it?

pacerhimself posted:

They're making fun of alt-right anti-Semites who use the 'echo' notation to identify Jewish people.

For a more detailed explanation, you can read here.

The long and short of it is a podcast called "The Daily Shoah" (Shoah is the Hebrew term for the Holocaust) coined the idea and it's used because search engines ignore parenthesis by default so it's hard to figure out who's been referring to you that way. It's basically used as a way to sic anti-Semites on someone Jewish.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Eh, if he wins they'll feel validated until he fails to live up to any of his promises and they accuse him of being a sell-out RINO before entering some kind of ultimate despair.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh it's Ken Ham, of course. Origin of the Ham Hightail and overall bellend. He once had a debate with Bill Nye, which you can read about here. Dude's awful.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

I would be so amazed if the Murdoch Bros managed to pull an Otis Chadler on Fox News and turn it into an actually decent news channel.

Nah, James Murdoch is further right-wing than his ol' dad. Only difference between the two is Jimmy-boy loves environmentalism and strongly believes in countering climate change (probably because he'll live long enough to regret it otherwise).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

I don't really get why they do that in Soccer. Is it just to take a quick break since they spend so long running around without breaks? Or something else?

It's genuinely about trying to get the referee to give them a free kick. It's shameless as gently caress and I hate every person who does it.

computer parts posted:

There's only one referee so they have to get their attention in a dramatic manner.

Well, technically there's 2 - one off pitch, 4 if you count the linesmen.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Radish posted:

Yeah it makes sense when you learn that.

Honestly a lot of soccer problems seem easily solvable but people involved don't seem to want things changed because of the Soul of the game or whatever. I only watch every two years though so my opinion doesn't really matter if actual fans like it how it is.

I went from watching every match for my team to not watching football except for the World/Euro because that pathetic diving bullshit just made me hate everyone involved.

Lower divisions have less of it but they also have little television coverage and I'm not travelling half-way up the country for Whocares FC.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

So Hannity of course was "All Assange, All the Time" yesterday and yesterday and was REALLY harping on this "BitBleach" software or whatever it's called. I guess it's a complete mind wipe of your PC or something and he kept saying it demonstrated willful intent to obstruct justice.

What to make of that? I have to admit, the way Sean was phrasing it sounded very persuasive.

The makers themselves are quite happy with the publicity: https://www.bleachbit.org/news/bleachbit-stifles-investigation-hillary-clinton

Like many tools it's very good at what it does, but it doesn't really count as 'wilful intent to obstruct justice' it's more 'basic infosec' - wipe your poo poo when you're done.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

zegermans posted:

Apparently Pam Geller got banned from Britain personally by Theresa May and she was on Breitbart whining about it today, as well as maligning the banning of her buddy Richard Spencer.

We also banned National Action (a far-right political organisation) after they celebrated the murder of one of our legislators by a neo-Nazi in June.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Prime Minister does not. The Home Secretary does - they control things such as the police and immigration. Back in 2013 Geller was banned under our right to block entry to the country of anyone not 'conducive to the public good' - this list is actually very short and is made up almost solely of Nazi and Islamic terrorists.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If it helps, it does, to some very tiny extent, go both ways. Literally Jesus H. Christ Himself, Fisher of Men, Bringer of Peace on Earth, Son of God (R) wouldn't get two votes from the entire population of this thread.

Uh, yes they would, although how such a person managed to get the Republican nomination is itself a miracle.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For the record James Murdoch is more socially liberal than his father, but he's also way more Ayn Rand capitalist true believer.

His interesting quirk, however, is he's a hardcore environmentalist. He made Sky HQ in London only use rainwater for toilets! But more interestingly it's directly at odds with his father. Droopy bought some land to build some god-awful golf course or holiday resort on and Jimmy kept trying to turn it into a self-sustainable vegetable farm.

He lost, of course, because Droopert always gets what he wants.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I believe it turns out that they were right after all, but it's still irrelevant to him getting smashed in the face and a blatant character assassination for the corporate overlords.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sephyr posted:

Andrew Sullivan is back and asking the important questions of our time: "If racism is such a big deal, why are asian-americans so successful?"

The best part of it is he puts their success down to the nuclear family. He's an openly gay man stating that the nuclear family is the only way to overcome discrimination.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I stopped listening to it, but on the way home, Glenn Beck is claiming this is the end of Fox News being conservative. He was defending Bill pretty hard, saying "In all my time there I never even saw anything close to that happening," and that he thinks that the women coming forward are just doing so because of a giant liberal conspiracy against him. He even mentioned that when Gretchen Carlson made accusations against Roger Ailes, he didn't believe her at first because "She's only one person, she could be making it up."

So yeah Bill's lawyer isn't the only one claiming it's a conspiracy and that Bill did nothing wrong.

"Bill O'Reilly never grabbed ME by the pussy so he never sexually assaulted anyone."

Masters of logical thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Scholtz posted:

wow aaron hernandez committed another murder, huh?