Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Dulles is pretty nice, though? I always am in B gates and there are nice shops, acceptable food options and it's clean. What else do you want?

I want to go on moon patrol again.

edit: also they didn't have an AAdmiral's Club last time I was there

Cocoa Crispies fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Xguard86 posted:

Tell us your secrets! My biggest problem is being too tall I can't support my neck without Cramping my back.

Only time I've slept well on a plane I skipped any heavy food & drink before sleeping.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Looks like I have one more business trip this year; the nice part is it's at the Swan & Dolphin at EPCOT Center, but the only miles I get are on my car.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Edit: is there a way to combine everything into 1 giant itinerary? Do I contact star alliance because it seems that I will be using a mix of Lufthansa in Germany for direct flights and Turkish Airlines for Direct flights.

TripIt is probably the best way to do this.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They suck on the plane too.

I am glad that people are flying. I just want them to stick to Spirit/Southwest/Airtran/Allegiant/whateverthefuck poo poo carrier flavor of the day is.

At least they stick to steerage v:shobon:v

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Aristotle Animes posted:

See, still not cargo shorts and flip flops so I think we're ok.

Look, if I'm going from MIA to LAS in August what else am I supposed to wear while I'm getting drunk in first class?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

Every time I walk past it early in the morning they are open but serving their lunch/dinner menu.

Are pork, rice, and beans wrapped in a tortilla not what you eat for breakfast on a regular basis?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Interesting that Fart Lauderdale is worse than Miami even though they're both, like, right there. Is it just construction and not having enough runways?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta One is a perfectly nice lie-flat business class experience. The 767s are a little annoying since they aren't herringboned. What are you expecting, exactly?

My experience with 767 Business/First (2014 ATL-GRU and GIG-ATL) is that the space for feet isn't big enough for my feet.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shadowhand00 posted:

Has anyone ever gone to one of those flyertalk conventions?

If there was one near where I lived and if my car ran on insufferable instead of gasoline I'd be all over it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cacafuego posted:

I recently started traveling 60-80% for work. I've gotten about 25/30 segments to gold on AA flying out of MCO since October. I foresee a lot of MCO to MIA travel in 2016, should I stay with AA? I've been told it's better to fly into FLL, but in my corporate booking app, I only ever see MCO-FLL flown by UA (operated by Silver -which I've never heard anything good about).

How often would you be shuffling between Orlando and Miami? I did something similar (Miami to Tampa commute) weekly for six months before switching to every two weeks, and just hanging out in Tampa every other weekend.

(ps: Miami isn't actually scary anymore)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Generally a good idea, though sometimes I get one down the street if it's a bunch of long days and I need to get away from the scene for a while in the evenings. On the other hand, being able to ignore bathroom lines and use your own toilet is an advantage that can't be oversold.

Haha, I was at a conference in SF just a month ago, and during one break on the first day there was some sort of grunting huffing monster in the next stall over from me that was shaking the walls so bad the door came undone, making the trip upstairs to my private terlet an easy choice.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Barry posted:

That poor bastard. Though if I had to be stuck somewhere, I'd definitely want to be stuck somewhere with a Centurion Lounge.

And Miami to boot.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cacafuego posted:

Is there any reason not to use the E terminal premium club in MIA? I'm in here on a Qatar business ticket, but the desk agent told me as an Admirals club member I can use it. There's a much better spread than the D terminal AC's.

If you have an American Express Platinum or above, the Centurion Club near D11 is way nicer, and walkable/trainable from E-terminal airside. They had Bruichladdich Port Charlotte in both Islay Barley and Scottish Barley varieties last time I was there. The free food is also way better: the first couple times I was there they had Michelle Bernstein's fried chicken, which is second only to Publix fried chicken in my opinion.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Lufthansa charged me €100 extra for a really heavy bag full of camping stuff (tent, sleeping bag, etc.) on my way back to Miami from Germany last year, no status, booked economy, don't really fault them.

Delta just put an extra "HEAVY" tag on basically the same bag earlier this year, but no charge over paid first and gold status.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Neat, I didn't have to go for an interview to renew my Global Entry.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

I'm assuming the answer to this is "No, and that's dumb?"

Noggin Monkey posted:

Thread regulars may disagree but I would take a fun weekend vacation/mileage run.

I did this a few years back, went to Seattle in December to hang out with internet friends and drink. It was a blast, I'd recommend it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

What do ya'll recommend as far as travel chargers and batteries go? I have two phones and two laptops....

Jettison a laptop, get an iPad for personal stuff. http://amzn.to/2li43dK is a good charger, http://amzn.to/2lkcNQe is a good travel power outlet thing. If you're in Miami and doing lots of Texas, you'll probably be on AA a lot. The American Express Centurion Club in the AA terminal at MIA is way better than either AAdmiral's Club.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Flying biz on KLM in April. 787 one way thankfully, but 2-2-2 777 the other. Anyone have a seat preference for solo travel? I usually like sitting by the window, but aisle access would be nice.

If you're in the middle two, nobody will need to step over you and you won't need to step over them either. Daytime flight?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mandalay posted:

There is a lounge in MIA Terminal E with a nice booze selection. I got in due to flying on AA Transcon F (got it relatively cheaply for $900 r/t) but I think they are taking Admirals Club memberships too. http://www.miami-airport.com/vip_premium_lounge.asp

The Centurion Club has had two different kinds of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte every time I've been there.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

I live in and fly out of Miami and it's like my least favorite airport ever. It's a dirty shithole.

It's completely terminal-dependent. The AA and Delta airsides are nice and shiny, United's terminal sucks rear end and swallows.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DJCobol posted:

Lounges will vary GREATLY depending on where you are and the carrier. Delta's old lounge in the B terminal at ATL was like a bus station, but the Sky Deck, showers, and rest of the lounge available at JFK are very, very nice. The biggest perks is that they are quieter, have free wi-fi (most airports have that now anyways), work areas with desks, free food, and free booze. I've used the lounge a few times in the event a flight is delayed, because it was easier to walk up to the desk agents in the lounge than it was to call in or wait to talk to a gate agent. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to get lounge access though if you didn't already have it through status or a CC with a reasonable annual fee.

During the Delta Hell Meltdown last August, a friend on an itinerary a couple hours ahead of me said he was in a multiple-hour rebooking line in ATL concourse B but "only" waited 90 minutes on the phone after his second flight cancelled. I didn't even have to wait at the closest Sky Club front desk after my second flight cancelled.

That plus the nicer chairs is worth it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
First airplane ride of the year is coming up next week. Opened up the Delta app, and lmao I rolled over 22k MQMs, so I'm just gonna be $1900 from Silver after the trip.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Global entry renewal requires another interview? Great.

I didn't have to do one for it last year, although the only time I've cleared customs since then was at the cruise terminal here. The Global Entry line was just one agent who didn't have a computer for your questionnaire, didn't take your declaration form, and didn't have any way to validate that I was actually GE, so…?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ohgodwhat posted:

That's not how it is at airports

Well aware, haha.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
On the plus side of it, you get to miss most of April Fool's day.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pig slut lisa posted:

This was a couple days ago, but somehow my wife got a same day change to an earlier United flight MCO-ORD simply by asking. No status (not even a MileagePlus account), no weather or other ops issues, no sob story, no fee, just...asked and received. How unusual is this for UA?

The value of an empty seat to an airline drops to zero on departure. If someone's just curious about leaving earlier, and doesn't seem likely to pay a change fee, it's better that they take the early departure since their late seat might be worth more in the future.

I don't fly UA but I've had that experience (with status, but I don't mention it or use the card ever) on DL, AA, and WN.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

You know they see it the second they pull up your reservation, right?

By the same token the change fee becomes worthless if it becomes known or policy to not charge it to anyone asking. They got a nice agent or more likely , as pointed out, there was an operational gain by doing it.

Well yeah, but it's important for me and my feelings to not act like a FlyerTalk poster.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

When I start my own airline
All guns and explosives will be allowed
The liquor cabinet flows
Sex will be freely had
Leggings will be worn
or not

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/750161972256137216

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Aren't strollers considered over size luggage or special luggage and check in for free ? But when you land they appear right outside the door.

Why was the women crying over a stroller

Because traveling with children is a stressful ordeal and people aren't emotionless robots.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FunOne posted:

Just got back from Vegas. Those fuckers have the largest goddamn bags I've ever seen. Only thing that would fix that would be some kind of purge.

Fly from Miami to Brazil some time. There're import taxes in Brazil that, for certain sizes and classes of family, that make flying to the US, buying clothes enough that you have to raid one of the dozen discount luggage shops at the Dolphin Mall to fill up everyone's maximum checked allowance with your spoils, and flying all that nonsense home make financial sense. I'm not sure if that's related to Brazil having special case checked bag rules on DL and AA but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DJCobol posted:

I love my Delsey suitcase, but its starting to show its age a little bit. I plan on picking up a Rimowa while in Germany this Christmas.

Speaking of Germany, I could use suggestions on poo poo to do in Berlin since my only experiences so far have been in Bavaria and the Nurburgring. I plan on doing the obvious like the Brandenburg Gate and Berlin Wall, as well as a couple Christkindlmarkts, the German Technology museum, and a couple of beer tours. Anything else that I should look into while I'm in that part of Germany?

I was there for a day in 2015 and went to Five Elephant Coffee (a nice walk from Kottbusser Tor U-bahn), pretty much walked from there to the Computerspielemuseum (computer game museum), had a fun couple hours there, then hung out at the James June biergarten next door. It's not high-octane tourist Fun per se, but I enjoyed the slower pace.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mandalay posted:

Flying on Saturday is nice. Airport is less crowded, not rushing to make a meeting, and AA upgraded me twice to domestic F.

Except it totally ruins my weekend. Oh well.

Last time I flew on a Saturday I spent the entire time playing Zelda, exactly what I would've done at home.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm not sure when exactly "the computers crashed and we have no redundancy at all" became an acceptable operational posture and excuse for companies to use. Sometime in the last 10 years or so we crossed that line, nobody seems to have noticed or cared but seems like a pretty big shift to me.

Building new computer systems for redundancy and distributed operation isn't cheap, and reëngineering some of the oldest computer systems in operation for that is fantastically expensive.

That said, given the Delta meltdown last August and today's BA problems, if I was a C-level at an airline I'd be making the case for a long-term modernization project.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

This after being delayed 2 hours in FTL.

SuperSpiff posted:

Bad weather in Miami means my LAX flight was delayed taking off by 4 hours. Which meant a misconduct in MIA and now I get a day less in San Juan.

Yeah it was stormy here a lot of the day yesterday. Don't have a summer flight to or from Florida in the late morning, afternoon, or early evening if you don't want to deal with weather delays.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

So after spending 3 days in buttfuck Hicksville Tennessee I am now in small town central Florida between Orlando and Tampa and I'm gonna get drunk at one of the two nicest restaurants in the whole town

Chile's or Hooters boys what'll it be

If you're near Haines City there's actually one non-chain place there that was good when I was up there for semi-business a few months back.

But lmao Florida that isn't a city.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

I like BWW and Twin Peaks. We just got one in FTL, but I've only been to their uhh OKC or Denver location i forget.

I have walked past but never been to tilted kilt

Yeah there's actual good food even in Broweird so you don't have to go to a chain restaurant.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm not traveling for business, but I am hauling my wife and 4 kids out of MCI to CLT tomorrow. Due to massive incompetence, my children's record locator is now different than mine, and they don't get free checked bags due to my credit card status.

They're sending me 100 bucks in vouchers so whatever, but I'm concerned about checking in and having them move the seats we were already assigned together. I could check us in online, separately, but I'll still have to check some bags when we get there.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to checking in online? I'm assuming that since our trip summaries still show the seats we selected, all together, that we shouldn't have any issues.

Checking in online might make it harder for someone at the airport to swap those seats around for another passenger? Probably won't be issues either way to be honest.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I've barely traveled so far this year but starting next week it's off to the goddamn races:

AA: $180 / 1840 mi. / 2 seg.

DL: $1099 (nice, that's the tax number) / 27,971 mi. (roller over like 24k) / 4 seg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not stick with an airline if you live at another airline's hub airport

possible exceptions: soufwes, spirit, frontier

Yeah I've done Delta from MIA (AA hub) the last few years and it's not bad, but comparing MIA-ATL-DCA to MIA-DCA isn't in Delta's favor.