Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

My partner and I randomly found Jeopardy on Hulu back in November and it reignited our interest in the show and we've been watching every new episode since. I used to watch as a kid and didn't get any of the answers, of course. It's really refreshing to be able to answer them now as an adult, though (outside of the tournament of champions, of course).

This is the first I've looked at the thread here, though, and I noticed the "how to get on jeopardy" link in the OP broken. Here's an updated one: https://www.jeopardy.com/be-on-j.

edit: speaking of, are there any training resources around? I know there are categories I don't know poo poo about, like opera and musicals, that I could just scan Wikipedia for basic details but there've got to be easier ways to cram for this knowledge. I know there's j-archive but it doesn't seem to be designed specifically for training.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll take everything into consideration. I've been a goon since '03 and know how to read an OP, etc, but drat I didn't realize how many goons were on the show and I should have read the thread more before posting. I started off using the "?" history button on the first person to respond after I did, HookShot, and it was interesting seeing her post about doing the test for a few years and "hey, I'm never going to get on" posts were great since I had just learned she did get on. As I've been watching for the past few months there are some contestants that I see/hear and I'm like "that's totally a goon" so after I comb through some more posts I'll see how accurate I am.

In the meantime, while I read the whole drat thread, for those who have been on: how much do they limit goofiness? Like, if I knew I was going to tank FJ could I just write "Turd Ferguson" or something or will that kill my chances of even the minimal payout?

edit: fffuckk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBPa9UbWSM

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 5, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

MorgaineDax posted:

:negative: Nooooo... all the speculation about who should host next was just a joke, we didn't mean it.

I did it. I applied for the online test for the first time and the news comes out the next day.

In all seriousness, "Alex's Bucket List" was a category very recently.

$200
A: "Both the remoteness--2,200 miles west of Chile--& the mysterious Moai statues put this island on my bucket list"
Q: What is Easter Island?

$400
A: "Having been to every continent except this one, the smallest, puts it on the list"
Q: What is Australia?

$600 - n/a

$800
A: "I want to make a pilgrimage to the Potala Palace, once the main residence of the Dalai Lama, in this city 12,000 feet up"
Q: What is Lhasa?

$1000
A: "I've seen Niagara & Victoria, but need to head to the Brazil-Argentina border where these falls divided into 275 cataracts"
Q: What is Iguazu Falls?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 7, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

lol I got maybe 22 of them correct. Some I pulled out of my rear end and got right, and others I knew the answer to but couldn't retrieve it in time.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

What the hell was with Morgan getting a correct response without phrasing it as a question? She likely would have lost if they held up one of the most basic rules of Jeopardy.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Poque posted:

It's always a warning in single jeopardy

Gotcha.

Also she got the answer wrong in spite of that.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Island Nation posted:

Katie did ok, she was stiff at first but got more comfortable as time wore on. I don't think she'll get or take the job though.

Dr. Oz is next so I expect a non-zero amount of TV's to undergo immolation on Monday.

If this is true I'll burn my TV ahead of time.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Timby posted:

I wanted to punch Ryan in the face during his intro today.

Same except just all of the time.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I'm a native English speaker but the classical music categories and a hyper focus on Christianity are the ones that throw me off the most. I get some of them due to (thankfully only) a few years of Christian indoctrination but my partner didn't have any so it's a complete miss for them.

Further on being familiar with the format, etc., as soon as they reveal the categories I'm already brainstorming what the possible questions would be. I'm sure I'm not the only viewer that does that but if I were completely new to the show I would just let the questions come at me one by one.

Vvvvvvvv: yeah, Rudyard kipling/ jungle book comes up like once a month.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 26, 2021

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Gupta's a fuckin weirdo.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Cyril Sneer posted:

Finally someone else who sees this.

I feel like he's someone who memorized how to be a person. Not the worst host so far but just weird.

Worst for me in no specific order are Gupta, Guthrie, and Bialik. My favorite was the football guy. He seemed really genuine and didn't give lovely commentary. Like I get when someone has the wrong answer but some of the hosts are kind of lovely about it and Rogers seemed to be like "I'm really sorry you got that wrong" instead of dunking on the contestant. Couric was pretty decent, too.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Does anybody have a good list/resource/etc. for common Jeopardy questions? My blindspots are mostly geography, musicals, classical music, and random president stuff (like first ladies). Enough of that is googleable but if there was something more brief and less time consuming I would appreciate it. Please and thank you.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thank you all. I genuinely appreciate your time and attention.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I like watching the story segments because they are either very interesting or completely cringe. I love to hate when the story goes wayyyy too long and is really boring. To me, it's a feature, not a bug.

Also, goon person who's wife was on recently: She loving outed pirating jeopardy videos. wtf? (for real, though, she seemed really cool)

edit: also, furry guy a while back was kind of awesome. Alex even asked, "what the gently caress is that hand thing you do?" I'm not into furry stuff but they're pretty leftist as a demographic as far as I can tell from other news media so I'll take an ally where I can.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 28, 2021

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Hed posted:

He is a financial journalist, so FACTS are important!

This triggered me since finance is largely based on subjectivity, forecasting, and unsure outcomes.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 3, 2021

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

"Whats... burn?"

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

HookShot posted:

This is the worst part. Like, if it was JUST the stupid and lovely opinions it would suck but wouldn’t be the end of the world, but she was SO BAD at hosting, too. She was one of the few I found almost unwatchable. One of the bland nobodies would have been a much better option.

I can't really parse tone policing of "calling the actor blossom is misogynistic" simultaneously with "if this person had JUST stupid opinions [which are anti-feminist and rape apologia]" as being acceptable if they were a good host.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Spokes posted:

Fuckboy Mike Richards

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

That was a loving softball Final Jeopardy earlier this week. Matt (who is cool and good) has talked about LotR in like 2-3 of his personal story segments; he watches all of them once a year. Then the FJ was about Tolkien.

Speaking of Matt, I absolutely love that he will say the numbers of what he's betting for Double Jeopardy instead of saying "a true daily double."

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

It's nice to have a host again who knows how to actually read a clue.

Mayim was like the kid in class who always wanted to impress the teacher by volunteering to read aloud but clearly didn't even know what they were saying and had no rhythm.

edit:
vvvvvvvv yeah he actually seems to have a sense of humor

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 9, 2021

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Poque posted:

Amy is REALLY good.

Yeah, she's awesome. I'm really glad to see her keep winning. She has a chill, friendly, and normal type of personality like Matt and I look forward to them possibly going head to head. I also enjoyed Ken helping her dunk on her ex-bol.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Pam seemed like a Type A mess. I couldn't stand her. Crazy eyes from the beginning. Talked as fast as Ben Shapiro. I missed her name and told my partner she looks like a Pam I worked with and they pointed out that her name was Pam...

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zesty posted:

This post really loving sucks.

It's Pam's fault.

I didn't see this last week :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1464368375044268036

Her recent on-show story about her pearl necklace was sweet, too.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Oof. Yeah. wtf.

Speaking of him. I don't know what the gently caress was up with the guest hosts this year (but probably his fault). He got kicked off/cancelled. Mayim is an antivaxxer and rape apologist. Rodgers also antivaxx. And now Dr. Oz is running as R for Senate. This is like an Agatha Christie novel.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 2, 2021

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

R. Guyovich posted:

you mean to tell me rich celebrities in the us skew toward being giant assholes???

I like this joke, but in seriousness I mean that the sample of persons is especially terrible in specific very republican and anti-science ways.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

A Tasteful Nude posted:

"anachronistic"

I felt that way, too. MacArthur didn't use the word correctly, but that is in his quote.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

mearn posted:

Remember that Call Me Kat premieres Sunday, January 9th at 8 PM on Fox. Set your DVR if you have to but live viewership is even better. We gotta make sure Fox keeps it on the air.

Like, remember to boost it so that if it's successful she'll be so busy she can't host Jeopardy?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

mearn posted:

Precisely!

:sickos:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Blossom is such a stupid loving host for many reasons.

Last night she said "Inside a Convex Mirror" instead of the actual name of "Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror." She doubled down on it, too, and acted smarmy while also being wrong. J! is not the place to do that if you don't know what you're talking about.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

thrawn527 posted:

I thought that was a weird name for a painting. Presumably she has the answers in front of her, right? Why go off on your own like that unless you're 100% sure?

She also referenced the poetry collection and it's also not the way she articulated it. She does have the answers in front of her but a large proportion of the time it looks like she's more interested in saying "no, wrong" and then takes a few seconds to look down at her notes to verify.

Here is the relevant painting wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-portrait_in_a_Convex_Mirror.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

wa27 posted:

The problem with this one was the clue, imo:

Opinions aside, "inside a convex mirror" is still not accurate. Here is the clue:

quote:

Parmigianino painted a self-portrait in this curved item, also the title of John Ashbery's poem about the painting.
Source: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7214

wa27 posted:

The answer is simply "convex mirror", but Parmigianino didn't actually paint a self portrait in a convex mirror like the clue says - that's just the title of the piece. He painted it in a curved canvas. Mayim read the answer from the card assuming the actual canvas was a convex mirror, which is what the clue implies. The "Inside a" was just some flowery language.

They did paint a portrait of themselves in a convex mirror. "Inside" is not a literal or accurate term because it is a painting; people cannot paint while inside of a reflective glass. That is impossible. Again, the poems referred to are also not "Inside a Convex Mirror" so it is doubly inaccurate. A person can see themselves "in a mirror" but not "inside of" a mirror. J! is a space of specificity, flowery language that is not verbatim to the content is not an answer to the prompt.

I do think Mayim is a garbage person but on top of that I feel like the clue writing when she's on is terrible. I'm not sure if that's causation or correlation, but it's there. The recent "texting terms" category was full of nothing that anyone has texted ever.

I want to be clear, none of my responses to you are intended to be inflammatory and I respect where you are coming from with regards to what you wrote.

christmas boots posted:

laughing my socks off

hahaha, exactly. A completely impotent replacement for lmao.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 15, 2021

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zesty posted:

To be completely fair, it's not all Bialik. The clue writing has really been going to poo poo for a while now.

"Completely fair" would include that Bialik sucks.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did anyone refer to LeVar Burton as Geordie? I don't recall.

I think I did itt, lemme check.

edit: nope, but I did call him that irl even though I know his name.

relatedly, I don't respect mayim and it has nothing to do with her gender. she's pretty lovely. Geordie otoh helped me to enjoy reading when I was younger and upon subsequent rewatches his character on ST was awesome.

further, Colm Meaney played O'Brien on two ST series and when he was revealed to be (non-trek spoiler) Charlie's real dad on Always Sunny I still called him O'Brien. Same for when he was in Layer Cake.

vvvvv polite lol that he is Irish, actually.

fun fact, too: With 225 total appearances on Star Trek, he has made more appearances on the franchise than any other actor except Michael Dorn.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 12, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

My immediate reaction "and quite a few are non-binary!"

I wanted to express respect for this.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

1glitch0 posted:

Anyone wanna do a prank and post a ton today about nothing to trick people into thinking Amy lost?

I'm helping by responding but what's the earliest it airs so that we can coordinate?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Amy Schneider was robbed.

https://whnt.com/news/jeopardy-champion-amy-schneider-robbed-over-new-years-weekend-im-fine/#:~:text=

"“Jeopardy!” champion Amy Schneider revealed on Twitter that she was robbed over the weekend, but assured her followers she was “fine” following the ordeal."

Legit :smith:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The Sean posted:

Amy Schneider was robbed.

https://whnt.com/news/jeopardy-champion-amy-schneider-robbed-over-new-years-weekend-im-fine/#:~:text=

"“Jeopardy!” champion Amy Schneider revealed on Twitter that she was robbed over the weekend, but assured her followers she was “fine” following the ordeal."

Legit :smith:

Quoting in case someone clicks "last page" instead of "last read."

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 21, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Does someone have a gif version of Mayim glitching out when talking about that murder show? Please and thank you.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mantis42 posted:

wow goons hating on a successful woman invading their traditionally male 'nerd' space? unexpected