Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

...what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

cronox2 posted:

Dunno if I like that it's PC only but at least they're acknowledging Mega Man's existence once again.

Distributing anything on XBL/PSN is a pain in the rear end, so PC was the easy choice.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

It's regular Megaman with SF bosses and some new weapons they drop.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

canoshiz posted:

It's Capcom publishing a fan game that they did zero actual work on themselves and taking the credit for, more or less. Not exactly the most promising sign for the series.

Dunno, I'd be pretty psyched if Capcom published my indie poo poo.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Probably Winter Brawl, in a month.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

iPodschun posted:

Arturo is streaming SFxT 2013 http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

Arturo, PR Rog, Chris G and Valle in the same lobby now.

e: and Wolfkrone

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 29, 2013

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Did the stream briefly die for others as well? Somehow PR Rog won during those 20 seconds I missed

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I assume the VxG partnership brings in enough money to make the difference.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

VxG EMP Mike Ross it is then.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Add Kuma to SF4, just to counter Infiltration.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Great another ChrisG rent game.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

HKR posted:

Also if you find behavior like ChrisG's offensive you should let his sponsor know on twitter.

But only do this if you're a butthurt little baby.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Mystery game tournament is fun and all, but worth shoving Injustice to the early morning slot? No.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Perhaps being Marvel Evo champ would have a little more prestige if the last two champs hadn't immediately stopped winning anything after their wins. At least for SF4 Infiltration is still the guy to beat.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

$25K was the total prize pool for SF4, i.e. top 8, not 1st place.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Does Marn have a job or dwelling?

He was running his own "professional" League of Legends team (unsurprisingly called MRN) until it folded a month or two ago due to lack of tournament success. Now, who knows.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Or seeding points perhaps.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Omnikin posted:

Topanga Charity Cup 5v5 is live on NicoNico

Cabinet A: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv143510495
Cabinet B: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv143510604

Notable teams include
Kachitagari (Fuudo/Kazunoko/Bonchan/Nemo/Eita)
Topanga/MadCatz (Mago/Tokido/Daigo/Nyanshi/Jyobin)
Evil Geniuses (JWong/Ricky Ortiz/PR Rog/Momochi/Choco).

There are a shitton of teams signed up though so if you've got a better eye for SF hype than I do (likely) take a look here

NicoNico is fuckin' weird though- Twitch supremacy forever

Nico is rear end but drat that's a lot of viewers (97k & 83k). That's more than we can expect to see from Evo finals.

e: make that over 100k on stream 1, and still going up

e: 140k, holy poo poo

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 6, 2013

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Octo1 posted:

Aren't these just individual views and not concurrent viewer counts?

That's also the number that shows in the bottom "popular"-bar. I doubt they'd show the total view count over current viewers there.

e: it's possible though, this is NicoNico after all

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 6, 2013

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Looks like it is individual views, as it was still rising after the matches were over. Current viewer count doesn't seem to be visible anywhere? What a great system.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

Also is Infiltration still as unstoppable as I last remember him at SF4?

FWIW his tournament-winning streak was cut by a Swedish dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUcobwfEcOM

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

So then why would the game with the third most number of entrants be the second earliest?

Because it's a game not exactly adored by the community, I assume they simply wanted to avoid stream monster rage by having it like this.

PonchAxis posted:

Also I can't believe they're going to stream MK Pools but no Persona or Tekken pools. Doesn't MK have like the smallest number of entrants?

I think the guy running the srkevo2 stream is a dedicated MK/Injustice-streamer, so having only those two games there was probably a part of the deal.

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 8, 2013

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

brian posted:

The FGC is the way it is because it's very hard to sponsor products to, although monitor manufacturers really should look into it more

Then again it's pretty likely that people already have at least a 720p TV at home, which is all you need in the current gen. Also next gen for fighting games is already going to poo poo with KI being an exclusive title (and not even a timed exclusive) and Capcom not even working on anything.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

dangerdoom volvo posted:

This but the opposite. Online should be a last resort. As should watching people play instead of playing yourself.

Online is quite a lot more than a last resort for every successful competitive game out there.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

40 OZ posted:

What are the biggest (in entrants) LAN tournaments for Dota2 or LoL?

There aren't really many open bracket tournaments, if any. The biggest tournaments in terms of prize money are capped, with qualifiers and/or invites.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Chin posted:

Fighting games and LoL are apples and oranges. LoL's a game designed to be simple and easy at the player level and played with a team of people onto whom you can deflect blame when you lose. Almost all of the complexity and skill required are on the team coordination level. FGs are 1v1. All of the pressure's on the player and if they fail it's entirely their fault. It's just not as good of a format for growing a massive player base.

Not sure why LoL was brought up, when StarCraft 2 is much better for comparisons sake. Similar to fighting games in that it's 1v1, not F2P and not easy to get into competitively, but has a large playerbase and prize pools (http://www.esportsearnings.com/games/1/starcraft_ii).

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

40 OZ posted:

Is there any kind of indication of what the playerbase for SC2 is? That is, people who play 1v1 in any kind of tournaments? It seems really hard to get numbers on this, but usually it seems like there are 100x more "fans" and far less competitors in SC2.

By playerbase I mean people who play the game in any form, online included.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I'd think EVO could get a few marketing departments interested for next year just with the power of their latest viewership numbers (1.7 million over the weekend). I'm not sure how actively they usually try to reach out to companies outside the usual FGC-related lineup (Capcom, MCZ, BT, AS etc.) though.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

WCG is kind of a relic of the early 2000's though, most "esports" nowadays isn't really like that. DreamHack, which is live right now, is more representative: http://www.twitch.tv/dreamhacktv

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Video X Games is starting to remind me of Cyber X Games, which was touted as "world's biggest esports event" but crashed and burned in spectacular fashion back in 2004. Actually the names are so similar I thought they were related (are they?).

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Gootecks explaining SF to a cosplayer

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

PonchAxis posted:

How many times have you seen Sanford pick something other than Sagat in SF4.

He has played Oni in several tournaments.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

brian posted:

As self defeating and moronic as it is for the top players who want more money in the scene to act like they do, i'm incredibly tired of the people in this thread condoning the rule and the actions of spooky last night. It's not up to the players to ensure that spooky remains in business by keeping people watching streams entertained, just because he essentially promotes them as celebrity players does not mean that they are complicit in that arrangement, nor does it mean that they agree that it's adequate compensation for doing what he wants. If you want to change the culture at the top end of the american scene then become part of the top end of the american scene, otherwise what right does anyone to tell them what to do in the finals of tournaments they've earned their way to? TOs should stop focussing on enforcing arbitrary rules (honestly any rule that relies that heavily on TO discretion and is being forced on every tournament is dumb as gently caress) and start focussing on making their events have enough prestige that people won't want to piss about, either through it being a major event, through personal relationships with the players or through innovative bonuses (like the Civil War swords and the UFGT trophies).

As horribly gauche as it is to say there's a huge problem with entitlement and stream viewers, at first everyone laughs at the prospect and then as it grows poo poo gets all loving esports and doesn't just ruin the realness or whatever the gently caress you wanna call it, but loses competitive integrity slowly until we're left with a curated selection of players who will most likely entertain the audience covered in logos and having to adjust their behaviour for the sake of not offending anyone ever at all, except for the designated heel characters, so everyone involved in the production (including the players) can make a living from it. It's entirely natural for the people involved to want it, it's entirely inevitable and I entirely hate it.

In conclusion, eat a bag of dicks.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, judging from the fgc tweets most treat the collusion rule as a joke. If this happened at an event someone cares about (i.e. not VxG or NLBC) we might see a different reaction.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Lessail posted:

How much of a personal relationship does Chris G have with spooky or any of the guys running NLBC? He didn't seem to care too much about that as a deterrent at all.

NLBC is a weekly, held in an arcade, people don't show up there to think about sponsors and such. If you can't goof off in a weekly anymore then this scene is truly doomed.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

AkumaHokoru posted:

Who goofs off in grand finals? On stream?

Off stream or in pools when someone plays a different character its fine. thats the match. when the match is on stream and its grand finals. the entire tournament is about THAT match. to poo poo on that match is to poo poo on the entire tournament and everyone involved in it.

I dont see how people are upset at this other than people trying to wave a "dont tell me what to do" flag.

I haven't watched the actual match, but were they playing deliberately sloppy as well, or was it just the character choices? At least if the GF is Sanford vs Dieminion again I'd welcome a bit of off-charactering occasionally, provided they're still trying to win.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Hasn't gone down below 15 bucks I think. I kept a close eye on it during the summer sale.

It has been down to $7.49, -75%.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

There are already bootlegs in YouTube. I just watched it thinking "surely the commentary can't be that bad". Yeah, Daigo Umehitler, he said it.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

WalrusWhiskers posted:

I'm not gonna buy it since I don't care about quality that much but I hope they let the archived footage be free. I get more pissed off when channels block off their archives to non-subscribers.

Considering archived streams have ads etc. so they produce the same money as live views (and cost nothing, the archive is provided for free by Twitch), blocking them serves no purpose other than saying "oh you're from a different timezone and can't watch the event live? well gently caress you." Anyone doing it can go eat a dick.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Excellent Adventures are back, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_qbLy32xqk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Goodbye Tank Top Man, you somehow managed to be terrible and inappropriate in almost everything you said