Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Having trailers for trailers is the worst loving thing.

Not as bad as trailers for commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuHmEo0Bx7Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
James Gunn directing? Starring Chris Pratt and Jon Benjamin? Are they finally releasing a genuine comic book comedy??

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I've been fine with her in everything else I've ever seen her in, but her character in Thor was loving useless.

Yeah but so were all the other characters besides Thor. Even Loki was pretty useless.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gatts posted:

Sucks for Momoa but I'm kind of cool with Bautista. I haven't seen Man with the Iron Fists but a big green Thanos killing machine...I hope he can bring some physical charisma. It'd be cool to have him train with something like a mime or whatever and bring something to the character at least physically unique since I doubt there's going to be much to Drax beyond the straightforward. I wonder if he's going to jack himself up for it.

He was one of the more charismatic characters in Iron Fists.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It has the mandated mixture of humor and action requisite to these films but what I'm saying is that the way it's shot doesn't put me to sleep.

Yeah I agree. It's kinetic and fun and the tiny dude shots are well done and I like the part where he punches the dude.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I'd like to see Wonder Woman wear less clothes, because I like to look at women naked, or in a state close to naked. Also, I would like to see Wonder Woman brutally take down a room full of dudes, because she is a badass. Are these two opinions reconcilable? I feel that strength and nudity combined reveal the art of the human form.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

schwenz posted:

This has no relevance to any of the current conversations, but I was digging through some old comics tonight and now I'm seriously praying for them to make a movie from The Tick. I think now is the time.

spoon

Only if Warburton reprises the role OR!!! if they give it to The Rock.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles made with Avatar technology? What an appealing proposition.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gatts posted:

Yes. And he got jacked to gently caress for the 3rd one.

Well, if they ever make a live action JoJo's movie we've got every character's body double right here.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The best Marvel movies are the two Hulk movies, by the way.

jivjov posted:

Fair enough. Its not just this community, I'm just tired of hearing the same complaints over and over again, and I never seem to see the justifications behind it.

I don't like to read criticism of comic book movies because it's usually just angry nerds, but Iron Man 2 is a pretty confusing movie with a lot of dangling threads and hanging chads, if you catch my drift (my drift is that the plot is bad.) Can you explain to me in one sentence the plot of the movie? I'll allow you two commas.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 16, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think that was intended as a measure of quality, but rather how confused and mis-managed Iron Man 2's plot is.

Yeah, he said nobody was voicing legitimate criticisms of Iron Man 2 so I voiced mine and let him prove my point for me. How many of you remember Sam Rockwell is in that movie, or what War Machine does up until the very end?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Ultimately the problem is that a whole lot of poo poo happens in Iron Man 2 and almost none of it is related.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 16, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You know, when I said that the blue thing in Loki's scepter was probably the mind gem the bulk of people here said I was probably wrong. Nice to know that theory is gaining some ground.

I dunno if I like or don't like this theory. On the one hand, I hate the idea of a movie making more sense only after seeing a sequel, but on the other hand, the movie will make a lot more sense.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

It makes perfect sense without it, but when you go back and watch it again there will be another layer. Nothing wrong with that.

Well, no, I think Loki having a magic staff that mind controls people in a way that perfectly befits the plot given to him by aliens with no backstory or identity or anything is a little convenient. That staff embodying the mind gem is the only justification for its existence I've heard so far. Plus, there's that scene where Banner picks it up unconsciously, which was previously just a weird moment. Now it's subtle foreshadowing!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
TvTropes is a cataloguing of the relationships between every work of fiction ever written, it's a pretty impressive endeavor that never needed to exist.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I'm with you. It's Fox and an X-Men movie, so nobody will tell me differently that this is a desperate attempt to bite on Marvel's coattails just because they can.

If they really wanted to use Quicksilver (and Scarlet Witch), they had 5 movies to do more than an extremely brief cameo before Whedon started throwing names around.

Yeah but Evan Peters owns so it's okay.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Timby posted:

I've said this before, but The Last Stand kind of works because Brett Ratner is aping the work of Singer and Newton Thomas Sigel so hard that it hurts. Because that's what Ratner does: He imitates someone else's style. The Family Man is him totally trying (and failing) to be Capra. Red Dragon is totally ripping off how Jonathan Demme shot The Silence of the Lambs. Tower Heist is him trying to do a Steven Soderbergh Ocean's Whatever heist film. So on and so forth.

So stylistically, The Last Stand works, generally speaking (Famke Janssen's makeup and costuming is beyond terrible). Plot- and structure-wise, it's a complete disaster.

Are you saying that The Last Stand works, generally speaking, because Brett Ratner is a hack?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Benicio as Thanos is some of the most interesting casting I've ever heard for a comic book movie, I wholly support the idea.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If there's one thing the X-Men movies all did right, it's Mystique. What a lovely boring comic book character turned into a creepy interesting movie villain.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

What if I want to see a movie where Sam Neil is the evil bad guy? Daybreakers or Omen III?

Watch all eight episodes of Happy Town and pretend it's a long-rear end weird remake of Twin Peaks that was never finished or, really, started.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Plus Gary Oldman has been exclusively terrible lately so that's a bad suggestion.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I just wanted a Sentinel that looks vaguely like the ones from the comics/90's cartoon. Remotely. Even inspired by.... This is none of those things.

And I totally understand wanting to update the design, no Comic Book Movie is going to look exactly like the book (except for Watchmen maybe) - but at least draw some inspiration from the designs... Jesus...

Is this really that hard:

edit: Rhyno, back me up here...

Who gives a poo poo if it doesn't look the same as the comics, or even similar. It's not the comics. It's a movie. Ian McKellan doesn't look like this:

Please. Let's stop putting muscles on everything just because it's a comic book.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 2, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The MSJ posted:

For example, forg zample.

Yes, this was an actual thing someone in CineD actually saw.

You're a fool if you don't immediately assimilate this into your own common vernacular.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Guardians of The Galaxy set photos from London:

This looks all kinds of cheesy great.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It's gotta be someone good because we haven't heard who it is yet.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, no. Unless they're planning to kill Rocket Raccoon off in the movie, they'll likely want someone they can sign on for multiple movies cheap. Maybe Johnny Depp, but that's just because of how badly Lone Ranger did.

Unless they're planning on the movie being a huge hit, in which case a big name will multiply earnings and a big contract will pay for itself.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
A-hole always sounds better than rear end in a top hat. rear end in a top hat is too harsh; a-hole is funny.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Who gives a poo poo about any of this, at all?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

I don't mind Affleck as an actor, I just would have preferred a more unknown actor like how they cast Cavill as Superman. I think it'll be too distracting having Affleck as Batman for me.

No, it'll be perfect. Jokey Boston actor playing man who dresses up like a giant bat to fight crime is less of a stretch than jokey playboy billionaire dressing up like a giant bat to fight crime.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Yeah it looks like Affleck finally reached the point in his career where he can say "gently caress the haters, I'm going to spend all these oscars and all this goodwill on my lifelong dream: Playing Batman and acting alongside Superman."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I love Kanye West as much as the next guy, maybe even a lot more, but if you've heard stories about his attempts at taking improv classes with Matt Besser you wouldn't ever think he could act in a movie he didn't direct himself.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Cranston can play the hell out of angry and Luthor is the angriest bad guy there is.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Warburton is The Tick.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Say what you will, but as critically dubious as DC's output is, their movies are a thousand times more watchable than the vanilla crap Marvel photocopies every year.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Honestly, I don't. The Batman movies aren't "critically dubious" as he put it, so poo poo like Green Lantern is the only stuff I can think of. Please feel free to name other movies, and maybe point out how them sucking was indirectly Marvel's fault too.

Mostly I'm talking about how Man Of Steel was more engaging than The Avengers despite lacking punchy dialogue. Going down the line, though, you can put any Marvel movie bar Spider-Mans up next to any DC movie and I'll probably prefer the DC movies. Marvel's output lately has just been bland and inoffensive, taking no risks. I'm really looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy, though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

You do know that literally everything you said is in "that's just like, your opinion man" territory right? I found Man of Steel interminable and boring in many parts and I've got a Superman tattoo on my back--I was looking for reasons to forgive--while the Avengers kept me thrilled based on novelty alone (yet still held up on a rewatch).

So as long as we're going with opinions...

Part of what I found lovely and refreshing about Marvel Phase I was that after a decade of movie studio politics and producers/directors messing with fairly straightforward adaptations of characters--

--we finally had Marvel saying "Back the gently caress off and quit trying to reinvent the loving wheel. We have repackaged and resold these dudes to the same audience for half a century. loving trust that we know the direction to go in."

So we had four major character presented in a no-bullshit no-frills straightforward cinematic adaptation. Was it bland and vanilla in many parts? Absolutely. Iron Man 2 had a messy script, and Captain America was essentially bungled despite having the best first half out of any of the Phase I movies. The Hulk and Thor are featherweight features of plain escapism. Iron Man has a super weak villain. The Avengers teasers can be distracting, especially if you're somehow retarded and forgot that you're watching a serial feature and not a complete standalone feature.

I don't know of anyone who is propping any Phase I movies up as cinematic triumphs. What they are are adaptation triumphs. They are proof that you can translate the characters without sticking your dick in the concept and still find an audience. A substantial one it turns out.

But no. Because it's not "risky" suddenly that means it's unengaging. Because it doesn't obviously fall on its face or have aspirations to be more than "just" a superhero feature it's bland. It's vanilla. Do you know what the thing about vanilla is though? Vanilla is loving delicious and a strong foundation to branch off into a huge variety of flavors. Iron Man 3 is proof that--conscious or not--there is an evolving style to the Marvel movies and gives a promising hint that Phase One was about foundation--Phase Two will be more about style.

Now granted, if Phase Two doesn't start to bring out some more evolved qualities in the storytelling and cinematic flourish then I'll be right there with critics saying that Marvel Studios needs to stop focusing on quantity of sequels/characters and focus on quality more. Even so they've already proven themselves more than capable of the WB's best efforts when it comes to presenting a cohesive whole, and I'll take their worst over dour pretension like Man of Steel or the Nolan Bat-flicks any day.

That's just, like, your opinion, man. As far as I'm concerned the worst film that's interesting to watch for myriad reasons (The Last Airbender) is better than an aesthetically fine, well written slab of concrete (The Avengers.)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DFu4ever posted:

I still have no idea what people who believe that are thinking. It definitely wasn't shot in the same, obviously budget restricted fashion as his TV shows.

I get not liking his style, though. Everyone has their own tastes.

I thought it looked like a TV show because all of the scenes that didn't take place on obvious and cramped sets took place on sequestered city blocks, exactly like a TV show. It also had flat lighting and perfect white balance, which lead to a really boring color palette, like most TV shows. The only thing that wasn't super TV about it was the CGI.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DFu4ever posted:

Obvious and cramped sets? First...the 'obvious' point of your argument is ridiculous, since half of the sets are for places that simply don't exist in reality. The SHIELD command center/meeting area was a huge set. The shuttlecraft was a cramped set, but it made sense to be cramped since it was a relatively small vehicle. The Helicarrier lab was not actually that small, it just featured in a scene with a lot of people in it and they seemingly only used half of it for shooting. The hangar looked like a hangar. The gym at the beginning was large and decent looking. The sets looked like they belonged in the superhero movie that was being made. This movie wasn't trying to be There Will Be Blood.

Here's my problem with this defense. Why does The Avengers look like this:

And not like this:

It's because they did not bother making it look like that. They never did anything interesting with color, with depth of field, with framing, with blocking. They never did any cool or abstract set design. Everything is solid and utilitarian, distilled essence of plain. They settled with sterile and generic, which is criminal when this is your source material:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I think a lot of people are just mad that they can be so invested in and knowledgeable of cinematography, only for a movie to dare to be mediocre and prove immensely popular anyway. It's similar but slightly different to the Michael Bay "ugh I can't believe those dumb movies about explosions are making so much money" principle.
Number 1: It's criticism. This is the comic book movie thread and I am criticizing what could be called THE comic book movie. I do not care how popular it was. It looked like dirt. Every shot was a medium shot. That's bad for a movie. It makes the movie not well made.

Number 2: Michael Bay may not be the smartest filmmaker around but he is a billion times better at making movies than Joss Whedon.

Michael Bay is pretty fuckin good at utilizing the camera and color. Joss Whedon is pretty good at utilizing actors and dialogue. Here's my proposal: Joss Whedon writes Avengers 2, Michael Bay directs.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

teagone posted:

Michael Bay movies kind of look like Zack Snyder movies, and vice versa, in the visual sense. I wonder if that's the result of them possibly being friends back in college since they were classmates.

I love Zack Snyder. Now there's a dude who knows how to make a comic book movie. I don't care what critics say or what popular opinion is, Watchmen is still the best comic book movie every made. Too bad David Goyer ended up being his writer on Man of Steel, that could have been amazing.

WickedHate posted:

Not every movie needs to be a visual feast of colors and camera work to be good.

You're right about the color, but do you really think the best color palette for The Avengers was grey and brown with everything else muted? Also, good camerawork is absolutely among the most important things in making a movie and The Avengers don't got it. There are zero (ZERO) great movies with terrible camerawork.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 21, 2013

• Locked thread