Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Let's talk about separatist movements...

On one hand, those borders look like someone spilled coffee on the US. On the other hand, those states all suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

Their old rival Ragusa, these days usually called Dubrovnik:

It'd probably be better to seize that tiny strip of coast Bosnia has or Montenegro, otherwise all of NATO will declare war on them and they'd have to pay at least 50 ducats to each of them as a peace agreement.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Warboss Scrotumchoppa's Windsor Apples: Red ones taste betta!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Need to put "Ihr/Sie" in the German-speaking regions in the Midwest.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dusseldorf posted:

That might have been before the Giants won a pair of World Series'. At least by the hat count in Berkeley it's about 50/50 Giants/As. In Oakland it's 30/70 Giants/As and I don't really go anywhere else in the county and I'd assume the rest of it skews Giants.

Yeah Alameda might skew a little towards the A's depending on who you ask, but in the end they haven't found much success outside the American League West in the past few decades.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

How thoroughly do they search laptops and flash drives? Bury it deep enough and you could get lucky.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What's public opinion like? American red state or harsher?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I don't know why the U.S. is labeled as being Bachelor's only, since at least in California, Oregon, and Washington you need a teaching credential.

Yeah, that's a state-by-state thing. It even applies to substitute teachers- you need a lighter credentialing in California, and you can just sign up with a school in places like Idaho.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

I don't know man, that's way more then a hundred war score even with a coalition war and the late game discounts from administrative efficiency.

They probably used the "Dismantle Empire" wargoal.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Must be from a while back. Fitch bumped California to A+ in February and S&P bumped California to AA- this month.

What happened to gently caress up the credit rating so bad in the first place?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I guess I always thought of it as an extension of the recession. I didn't even know individual states could have credit ratings.

Guavanaut posted:

How do they tell the difference between a religion and a philosophy?

From what I understand, they didn't bother. You just told them you had a religious objection, filled out some paperwork, and you were done. It's gone on for far, far too long, but since California is ground zero for this kind of hippy bullshit, hopefully it will spread.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

gently caress you too Pennsylvania! :mad:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

No one goes to In-N-Out for their fries. No one.

(okay maybe for animal-style but even then...)

I'd go for anything if it was served animal-style.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

XMNN posted:

Because of Washington?

It's good, but it's not right.

Maybe just coffee shops per capita? I mean, I'm a caffeine addict through and through and the number of shops in the bay area still seems excessive to me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Neither should Texas.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Please, if you post a mystery map, make sure to return within 24 hours to loving reveal what the hell that map means.

It's definitely GDP.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

khwarezm posted:

People shouldn't underestimate how much of a shithole somewhere like western Ireland or Southern Italy were for pretty much all of the 19th century. Escape was often simply a necessity for not starving to death.

Ireland has one of the fastest growing populations in Europe, and it is still almost 2 million lower than the pre-famine population. That's how extensive the famine was- I'm hard pressed to think of many other areas that had higher populations in the 19th century than in the 20th or 21st.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Honj Steak posted:

Tbf there are almost two million people in Northern Ireland, so the population is actually almost the same as in the 19th century.

Population was over 8 million pre-Famine. Current population is about 6.3 million including the north.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

computer parts posted:

Well, it took them 3 tries to actually do it.

They liked it so much they kept installing new ones so they could go through it all over again! They failed to actually execute their monarch in '48 and '71, though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

Is there anything about Australian fauna that isn't hosed up? Don't you have killing campaigns against cats/rabbits/toads/emus too?

Camels are huge cunts though

They tried to have a campaign against the emu population.

They lost.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jaramin posted:

Can Europeans not afford to reproduce anymore?

France has a high population growth because it subsidizes motherhood very heavily, so this may be more true than you think.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

sparatuvs posted:

Its a place that England made to settle its differences with Germany every few years.

The Austrians actually made it to fight the Spanish in after they fought the Dutch just to keep in the first place, and the French took it from them until the British made them give it to the Dutch, and eventually after some more fighting the British made the Dutch leave it independent. Really its only good use is as a battlefield.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 1, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

In Modern China, it's the same difference.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I had an import/export book at work that referred to Incheon as Inchdong. I'm not sure if that's archaic or just plain wrong, but it was funny whenever it was preceded by a reference number.

Google returned nothing and dildoes, unfortunately.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hetalia, the one thing I might hate more than Kantai Collection. :tizzy:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This should be another "Worst state=best food" map, but Connecticut choose Reese's.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I think the ROC has to claim all the territory the PRC claims or administers, otherwise Taiwan goes from a "rouge province" of China to its own independent country, and then World War III starts.

I still don't understand why this is the case. Obviously the PRC is never going to give up on reclaiming Taiwan, but why would dropping those claims interfere with that?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

because both the ROC and the PRC claim to be the legitimate governments of the same country. dropping the claims would basically mean Taiwan declaring itself a separate, new country, and PRC china has a 30 foot pole up it's rear end about territorial integrity because of what is essentially 19th Century style hypernationalism grounded in a massive inferiority complex

Nooow I get it. Yeah, the PRC does not like its citizens deciding they aren't Chinese.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The French did not take their fall from the global lingua franca spot well. You're supposed to learn their language, not the other way around.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

i was just assuming they used the same techniques as the russians with the siberian natives. maybe i and jeb! both owe the french an apology

It's a whole lot easier to march troops over Siberia than the Atlantic.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Look at India you dolts.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"A Prussian will march until he dies, a Saxon will march until he drops, a Wurtemburger will march until he tires, a Bavarian will march when he feels like it."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Isn't this basically a map of the 'the good states to live in, plus Minnesota I guess?'? Like when the premier of Saskatchewan started yelling about not wanting to accept refugees, the Beaverton (Canada's imitation of the Onion) immediately ran with "Syrian refugees relieved they won't end up in Saskatchewan".

Yes, with some edge cases (Seriously Massachusetts, what the hell).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

How did they even do that? Did they install New Hampshire upside down?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Serious answer they had a concession in Beijing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Who wants to hear about the time Scotland tried to become a colonial power and it cost them so much money that they had to sign the Acts of Union to avoid bankruptcy? :v:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Swap the Netherlands and Belgium for Poland and the Czech Republic :godwin:.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I thought France had laws barring excessive or early campaigning.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's that magic flavor that makes France a Southern European country.

If they're not Western Europe then what the gently caress is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Water damage?