Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Phlegmish posted:

China's is the result of the one-child policy combined with lingering patriarchal norms, of course.

What is going on in the Caucasus, differential migration?

It's sex ratio at birth though, how would migration matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

redleader posted:

kind of remarkable that it's >1 basically everywhere in the world. wouldn't that show up in demographics?

Men have significantly lower life expectancy though.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Croatians sighing longingly while looking at photos of the Queen.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
We've moved on

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

heres a map to distract from blut's weird meltdown

This looks like it should be on a globe with a light on the inside, be cool as hell.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
But how does it compare to the Great Country and Awesome Country indexes?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

FreudianSlippers posted:

Every American is a sandwich

Piece of meat between two layers. Checks out.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh I can't read.

We've long suspected

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Sweeper posted:

Bad map, MA is massholes

Yeah, I've lived in Massachusetts most of my life and I've never heard anyone say Massachusettsan.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In 2024, every area in the South that voted against secession, even the places that were savaged by irregulars, even those that sent men to fight for the Union, are proud of their Confederate heritage

You don't know any Black Southerners do you?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Black Death?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
What a silly map

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
edit: nm, not taking the bait

EasilyConfused fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 17, 2024

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

SlothfulCobra posted:

The way that big cities sprawl out, it's pretty easy for them to end up sprawling their influence all the way over to the coast. It can be even blurrier when a city is pretty close to the sea and has a big river going up into it that is a direct connection, and maybe at the point where the river enters the city it's too salty to drink, so arguably the river actually meets the sea is further inland. Philidelphia is a coastal city by that route. I think arguably London and Washington DC could be like that as well.

Although South Korea is trying right now to move the capital to a place further inland, and a new fake city doesn't have sprawl yet, so no metropolitan area extending out to the coast. https://www.architectmagazine.com/d...-architecture_o

And that leads to these maps:

Interesting! I didn't know Indonesia and South Korea were both in process of doing this.

Brawnfire posted:

That may be taking things too littorally

:golfclap:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

What the gently caress is this?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Saladman posted:

Ah, wasn't familiar with that meme format, even after Googling it.

I would simply know all the memes

This map must have been drawn by an Italian. Credit for having Turkey kinda shaped like a Turkey though.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My favorite grocery chain is ShopRite, which is not one chain but a cooperative of 50 different chains, all of which use the same name. Some are large, some are small. All are ShopRite. They even own a few stores themselves.

https://www.shoprite.com/sm/pickup/rsid/3000/meetourmembers

Look at all these different families, it's like Renaissance Italy

Wow, I had no idea. Are there other examples like this in other industries?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

I like this hand drawn Europe where everything is slightly misshapen.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Air Skwirl posted:

i know I say things people don't like sometimes, but do people really want to get me? I don't want to get other people.

DEATH TO FLYING MAILBOXES

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Platystemon posted:

“The US if it had natural borders”

Bullshit, natural boundaries mean each Hawaiian island should be its own state. Commit to the bit dammit!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Eiba posted:

I was actually reflecting on how interesting it was that Japan was the only entirely non-European country in this map that colors in countries all over the globe.

Huh? Less than half the colored in countries are European.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Sparkling Roman empire

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

BonHair posted:

That map needs a date. I'm pretty sure the Danish dispute was our lengthy war with Canada, which was resolved last year I think.
Unless you want to count my claim on "Southern Sweden".

In a couple of years, we're gonna have a dispute over Greenland with USA, but that's all hypothetical right now

The title is also terrible, what does "involved in" even mean? I assume they mean "have" because otherwise Poland and other countries aiding Ukraine against Russia should be included.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Muscle Tracer posted:

Why is Antarctica labeled "EMO", upside down?

You'd be pretty emo if you had to live in Antarctica all the time

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Phlegmish posted:

I don't think this is really true outside of North America, where their variety of English really is remarkably uniform outside of a few exceptions, for typical New World reasons. Outside of that, if you're a non-native speaker accustomed to Received Pronunciation and/or the standard sitcom American accent, you might struggle to understand Irishpeople or Australians, or even people from certain parts of England. That's not getting into Indian English, or the English used as a lingua franca in parts of Africa. And that's not getting into the dozens of English-based creoles which may or may not exist on a continuum with English proper.

Accents play a big role in intelligibility in practice too. My best friend is from Barbados and I have difficulty understanding some of her relatives who have thick Bajan accents even if they're not using specifically Bajan vocabulary.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
gently caress is happening in here

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

drk posted:

dear nordic countries, please get cooler names

Algeria just straight-up lying to us.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

jeebus bob posted:

People still think about Whitewater?

The kind of people who think that map is meaningful do.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Subjunctive posted:

the isolated southern Ontario part is excellent

The whole thing is wonderful, I'm partial to the bridge to Isle Royale myself.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Where did you think they came from?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I always thought moose were made in small-scale local workshops.

That's just what they tell the tourists.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Tei posted:

USA should pay for the green line construction, imo

Extend it to Nome and we have a deal.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
rip China, annexed by Burma.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Angry Salami posted:

Papua New Guinea gained independence from Australia in 1975, not the UK.

I assume it's supposed to be independence from the UK or British Commonwealth countries because most of the Pacific ones are not direct from UK.

Although in that case its missing Namibia.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Saladman posted:

They did a passable job making a map that is suitable for printing back in the days before color printing was readily accessible.

For a modern map, it is... super lovely, and even for an older map it has a lot of unnecessary mess. Like why are all those tiny cities mentioned? Does anyone actually care that Naxos (population in 1450: probably like 10 guys + a goat) is labeled? Maybe it's relevant for the text but sweet chart clutter Jesus, split that map into multiple different graphics. That would go well as a textbook example of excessive labeling.

The terrain features don't help either.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

OddObserver posted:

Also if you want "settle Jews in the middle of nowhere" ideas, you don't need fiction, since Birobidzhan is a thing.

You do if you want there to actually be a significant number of Jews there though.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The cost of living of Hawaii is 75% higher than Florida. You have to be pretty drat rich for that not to matter. Also, Florida being popular with old people makes it more popular with old people, who can create entire towns where the minimum age is like 65 and there's even less of a risk of having your views challenged.

It's also way more convenient to get to Florida, particularly from the East Coast.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

redleader posted:

that's the 3% of responders who give joke answers. from every poll i've seen, there seems to be a consistent 3% of the population who respond with the silly answers, to the point where i'm suspicious of polls that do not have this 3% group

Also people who misread the question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
What the heck do the asterisks mean?