Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

Haha what

Are these people fleeing to Australia because Trump isn't racist enough for them?

It's because everyone thinks that their country is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If I insured under ICBC my premiums would be halved overnight, for superior coverage.

Holy poo poo I just checked. That's crazy.

How can your car possibly only cost 2 years worth of premiums and still be roadworthy? Do you have multiple accidents or something?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My premiums would literally cut in half vs Ontario with better coverage.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HookShot posted:

I have a 2008 Prius with 350,000kms on it. It's probably worth like 3-4k. I've never been ticketed in BC, I've never been in an accident, I've never had a claim. I'm paying around $1600 a year.

Whoa. Ok maybe the estimator I used was way off then. I was seeing like $500 for the minimum coverage on a 2006 Civic assuming a 35 year old male driver with no accidents.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

blah_blah posted:

I think there is a clear difference between actual 5-star hotels and mere 'upscale' hotels like the W (ugh) or Hyatt or whatever, even though the latter ones are still $300-400/night. I stayed in a $2500/night suite at a Four Seasons for a few days last month and it was by far the best experience I've ever had in a hotel. I also spent a few days in the Rosewood Hotel Georgia in Vancouver and was very impressed. And it's usually hard to beat the location of top hotels + the ability to get really good room service at whatever random hour you stagger back to your hotel room at.

Of course paying for these on your own dime is substantially less enjoyable.

e: this Harpertar chain is pretty disorienting

Lol what are you even saying. That a 2500$ per night suite is better than a 300$ per night suite?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

blah_blah posted:

I'm saying that 5 star hotels are a lot nicer than renting out some random condo from Airbnb, even if on average the value is worse. Doesn't have to be a $2500/night suite -- even the worst room at a Four Seasons or a Fairmont is still going to be really nice -- but if you've ever stayed in a really nice hotel room it is basically the literal opposite of

The worst room at a Fairmont is not impressive at all.

Hotel living sucks because you are living out of a suitcase, not because the room is bad (though the basic rooms at a Fairmont are still just basic rooms).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

I've overhead someone at work owning their house and the two adjacent properties to have control over who their neighbours are and as investments.

One of my friend's parents did this. It's in Westboro and probably was a sound investment.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

leftist heap posted:

But the real estate industry says supply IS an issue. Conflicting reports IMO.

who are you going to trust, some analytics company you've never heard of? or your friend Melody Simon - the Moose of Merritt.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

yippee cahier posted:

I've always found this sort of stuff to be vile. Make 35k in a year by showing up to your job every day and busting your rear end? Pay income tax on all of it. Make 35k by flipping property? Pay income tax on half of it. "It's meant to incentivize investment which creates jobs" is the weakest excuse for rich people paying half the tax as poor people.
Rich people don't pay half the tax of poor people, even proportionally. The largest proportional tax burden is carried by the middle class (using JT's expanded definition... People who make significant income but through wages rather than equity).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

OSI bean dip posted:

Housing should optimally never cost more than 10-20% of your net income.

uhhhh

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

cool chart but largely irrelevant to the discussion if you don't also have something on there about income.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

As if your plastic surgery clinic being in the basement of a house isn't enough of a red flag.

There's a guy in Ottawa who does vasectomies out of his basement office. I had like 4 co-workers who all got theirs done with him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

I was approached in the parking lot of a Costco by an independent mortgage broker handing out business cards. This has got to be the new Avon lady thing of our generation

Some guys just have an eye for a mark.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

What would cause the Swiss and the Danes to go into so much debt?

$20 slices of pizza in Zurich

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

This is the poo poo that actually makes me depressed. :(

This isn't someone who is living on the streets. She has some options. She's choosing this one because of how awesome it must be to live in Vancouver, rather than move.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HookShot posted:

I cannot think of a single situation I would want to live less than a microhome.

Ok homelessness would be worse. But gently caress I hate the idea of microhomes.

I dunno, the amount of space we seem to think we need is pretty enormous. A lot of the time we don't even use it, we just fill it with stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I like a big kitchen and bathroom in particular, but I don't think two people need to live in a 2000 sq ft house.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tighclops posted:

gently caress all these hipster douchebags freezing their asses off during the winter because they forgot they were building a home and not a loving play fort for 8 year olds so they didn't add any insulation, or rich assholes pretending they've gone galt because daddy's bank account paid for their 300 acre fuckfruit farm

Tell me more about these fruit farms.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
lol goddamn you're posh. You can just live in a park why do you even need a van.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

cowofwar posted:

Is there much practical difference between a 600sq ft microcondo/lane house and a van aside from $2k a month?

Is there much practical difference between a dumpster and a van aside from what you spend on gas, insurance, and parking?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

He could just park the van in a Walmart and use their toilet facilities, and/or join a 24 hour gym for shower facilities. He can also lift weights too.

this is incredible, it sounds like you've got it all figured out. he should also start a youtube channel explaining how he hacked the system to bypass the need for a home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVCTLPNUzo

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Damnnnn

Looks like Rime mashed_penguin's coworker needs to step up to the next level

e: sorry Rime, maybe you're already planning to get to that level. I didn't mean to presume.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 2, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Square Peg posted:

I've slept 3 people and a dog in a minivan before, but that was a camping over a 4 day weekend and not especially comfortable for anyone. Also we piled everything but the food outside overnight so not exactly a "stealth camper."
Still, nice to know I have a "plan B" for when mortgage rates shoot up 1000% and everyone loses their house to foreclosure.

Plan B for when that happens is money in the bank to buy those sweet foreclosure deals.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some people see being homeless as a burden, but I see it as a freedom. Why cage what nature intended to be free? You, who has to be restricted in everything you do... cooking in one room, sleeping in another, pissing in a third... you don't really know what freedom is. Freedom is being able to eat anywhere you like. Food is everywhere around you! People even throw out perfectly good food! Freedom is being able to sleep anywhere you like. One night maybe under the bridge, the next night maybe on the heated air grate! The entire world is your bedroom! Freedom is being able to piss and poo poo anywhere you like. Feel like taking a dump? Why wait to find a bathroom, just go right there in the street. Do this, and you too will know true freedom.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I make fun of stupid people who think vans are a substitute homes, but I do think there's a real problem with the idea that you need a 2000 sq ft home. We all take up far too much physical space in NA, and it's gotten a lot worse in the last twenty or thirty years. It's absolutely powered by a consumerist mentality that we just need to keep buying crap, and that we need space to put said crap into. It's gross, and moving away from that mentality is actually a really good thing.

The idea of building your own micro home is also a really good thing, from the perspective of the experience you gain by building something like that with your own two hands. It's just unrealistic to expect people to be able to do that while also maintaining the standards we've reasonably come to expect buildings to adhere to.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

On the west coast we're more on the "I need shelter... please" end of the spectrum than "We demand 2,000 sq foot homes."

Also you can tell you've never considered having children.
Yeah BC is in a weird place, but the general comment applies pretty much everywhere else.

I have an 8 year old. More space means more crap even more when you have kids.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The bit about only buying if you're planning to stay put for a while is at least good advice that more people should listen to.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Yeah for sure. Also, pay off your mortgage in 3 years if possible.

well yeah that's whatever. the first part is still true.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Posting in this thread and the CanPol thread are good clues.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My brother is about to buy a house.

Luckily it's a cheap house on the Quebec side so there's a bit of a price floor there anyway, but man I hope he's planning for a rate spike.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shari Mountain, a 20-year-old Vancouver event manager, believes the Trump name is toxic

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

The last bartender I talked to literally drove me away because he wouldn't shut up about how "Trudeau's taxes" were putting him out of business.

Like I obviously was trying to read my book. Just gently caress off.

Ooh that's a good strategy for getting rid of people who are in the bar reading books. I do think there's always a risk you agree with him but maybe he could pivot left in that case.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
blockchain is pretty hot right now I think it might be the time to buy

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Square Peg posted:

I'm certainly not counting on it. I'm pretty sure it went into the new kitchen he and his wife are giving themselves.
Gotta get that granite QUARTZ countertop equity!

Parents don't owe their kids money.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Good for the Blouin lady though. Was kind of expecting it to have a bit about how they bought another house for 900k or something.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Butcher posted:

brb, shapening my guillotine...
These cages could easily fit two to three more people.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Government jobs overpay at the low end and underpay at the high end. It explains a lot.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Home inspections make sense if you're actually willing to walk away from the purchase if you don't like what they find. Most people aren't.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Move to Ottawa. If you speak french the public service is in hiring mode probably until the crash / the liberals lose power.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cold on a Cob posted:

I've considered it. I've even had a recruiter from there reach out to me.

This is why I don't.

if you don't work in the public service or live in Orleans you don't need to speak french. Plus you could learn French, which is a cool and good language to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a terrible person because most of that seems like just real sensible advice for anyone who wants to buy anything with a negotiable price.

The group buy thing starts bordering on a scam if they're specifically targeting senile people, but otherwise seller beware.