Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I just think it's pretty ironic coming from the Conservatives. This is Big Government messing with the affairs of Strong, Canadian, Business Interests, plain and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

etalian posted:

Maybe the real solution is to just get a condo in the other Vancouver?

The Columbia is a damned nice valley; I was just doing a bunch of work on the river between Portland and Vancouver. drat shame the British didn't bother to keep that part of land; would be the best area of Canada bar none.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Northwest and the Columbia had already been explored by James Cook and George Vancouver long before that though. The HBC, operating out of Fort Vancouver (now Vancouver, WA) was the largest European settlement in the area for some time.

The real problem was accepting joint-occupancy, which just allowed thousands of Americans to flock in and settle the area north of the Columbia, which up until that point was pretty well British controlled. The American authorities had no reason to stop them either, since they really wanted to get their hands on the natural harbour at Puget Sound.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Or more likely: Single Family, Detached.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

melon cat posted:

Wow. They all drank the Kool-Aid, haven't they?

"China economy is best economy! Which is why we're pulling our money out of China, and putting it into Canadian real estate!"

They drank the Kool-Aid in the exact same way that nearly every western country did, including Canada, which everybody is constantly pointing out. It's hardly unique to China.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lexicon posted:

It's been pretty much three years to the day since this thread was created. It's pretty amusing to go back and read the initial few pages - just about everyone (including myself) is virtually certain that the housing market was at that very moment undergoing its last few dying gasps. Gotta give the bulls credit - things have played out in their favour to an extent even the wildest optimist wouldn't have predicted.

At least in terms of housing... USDCAD was almost exactly 1.00 back then.

Yeah, this is exactly what's stuck in my head. I'm looking to buy real estate in Calgary, but holy poo poo things look bleak, and I'd hate to miss out on a crashed market.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

etalian posted:

If you are trying to buy real estate in Albertan metro areas you would be doing what's commonly called knife catching.

I think the Albertan metro area real estate will get burned first and have a price correction over a 2-3 year period especially if the oil crash price continues.

Well I'm buying it as a place to live rather than an explicit investment, so I can ride out any further price volatility over the next few years. Just trying to avoid buying at the peak of things, but god drat am I ever looking forward to moving.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ikantski posted:

Can't tell if this is satire or not.

It isn't.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HookShot posted:

Yeah that chart totally tells the whole story guys.

Quiet down, we've stopped the hemorrhaging, that clearly means we'll be fine by next month.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:eyepop: A 2,500 ft residential tower.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Perfectly rational choice. The Interior is a way nicer place to live than Alberta.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sundae posted:

... please tell me this isn't happening in Canada. It's bad enough down here.

It's surprisingly common to see confederate flags in Alberta, supposedly because "rural pride". You could go weeks without seeing one in the city mind you, but they're there.

Some guy on my street also has a bunch of anti-Obama bumper stickers on his truck. :shrug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PT6A posted:

I'd rather cut my testicles off than commute to and from Canmore on a daily basis for an extended period of time. Or live in Canmore, for that matter.

The blurb is stupid. She could have easily gotten the same thing in pretty inner city Calgary if she'd wanted to.

The more insane thing is that someone would pay $300,000 for a 900 sq ft condo in Canmore at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ikantski posted:

Vaping isn't really very bad at all for bystanders but it suffers from 20 years of anti-cigarette second hand smoke stigma.

It makes sense to ban it in enclosed areas. I don't want to breath nicotine, even if it's below any measurably unhealthy level, because some douchebag just couldn't wait for the O-Train to drop him off at Carleton for his film studies class. Banning it in parks and all outdoor city properties seems silly though. As a policy, you'd think we'd want to get people off cigarettes. Make it easy for them to vape in parks and outdoor areas but not smoke, wait a few years for cig smokers to all switch over and THEN ban it everywhere.

Vaping should really be banned in any enclosed space, if only based on the poo poo we went through with second hand smoke. eCigs are so new that we really have no idea what sort of long term risks there might be, and we should be in no rush to expose people to that if we don't have to.

Math You posted:

They definitely should be 100% banned while driving. Wonder how many pedestrians and cyclists have been taken out during the 14 seconds it takes the plume of poo poo to exit the vehicle?

I have no damned idea how smoking and driving isn't covered under distracted driving laws at the very least.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Wouldn't squatting come into play after a certain number of years? If a bank owns a house that someone is just chilling in for 7+ years I thought that was getting into "This is MY HOUSE now! :)" territory

Not really. If there's anything even approaching an agreement that somebody can live there, adverse possession is right out. Even conceding that "yes the bank owns this house" would probably be enough.

There are very few successful adverse possession claims, and those that do happen are mostly over a foot or less in boundary disputes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Aramis posted:

So why doesn't she just sue the previous owner for the 60K? It's pretty cut and dry if he/she knew and failed to disclose.

Edit: Just looked it up on a suspicion, and if I'm reading this right, hidden defect protection is only a thing in Quebec?!? This can't be right. What the gently caress RoC?

Caveat emptor! Otherwise how would I be able to flip condos every six months?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lexicon posted:

A friend of mine's brother had a recent close extrication from an actual yoga cult in the area. No joke - they had this kid near-brainwashed, and routinely hallucinating, etc.

Sounds kinda fun really.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mantle posted:

Source?

Why isn't it locals cashing in and trading up?

Because Vancouver/Toronto is the Best City in the WorldTM

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Send all the nuclear waste to the Arctic. Gets rid of it and wards off those pesky Russians for maximum Arctic sovereignty

If you think radioactivity will keep Russians away, you don't know the Russians.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

yippee cahier posted:

Sounds good to me. Japan has a pretty cool system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_car#Taxation

This does look cool and good. Really there's so much we could be doing to improve our road systems; average speed cameras, policing bad driving rather than speeding, regular vehicle safety inspections, non-trivial driver licensing requirements. And yet we will never do any of it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Speed cameras are retarded and I hate them. Winnipeg is full of them and yet accident rates are sky loving high. Also there are places in the city where the speed limit is a lot lower than what is recommended by traffic planners and I bet guess what's right in the middle of those sections flashing away.

I'd kill for some actual driving instruction and hands on traffic enforcement, maybe then people will actually do poo poo like turning into the proper lane and using their god damned signal lights.

Speed cameras are pretty good, but you're right about the other things.

Not what I meant though. What i was referring to was cameras on the highways that track when your license plate goes by, allowing an average speed calculation, and if it's over the limit they mail you a bill. That way the limit is uniformly applied.

Whether the limit is correct is a whole other matter, but what really makes roads safe is reduction in speed differential, and I would happily trade going slightly slower for safer roads and equitable application of the law.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

This is legit annoying- Canada Netflix doesn't have Justified...

Yeah, this is probably the case because one of the Shomi parents had the online distribution rights. I'm really hoping that with the demise of Shomi Always Sunny will turn up on Netflix.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ccs posted:

Yeah but a lot of the people quoted in that article are engineers and technicians, not just uneducated guys who flocked to an industry because the money was good. I mean, the engineers ALSO flocked there because the money was good, but they went through a lot of training and preparation. It sucks that some are now working retail.

Ah well, I guess it's just a classist thing. Guess the petroleum engineers should've gone into software or something.

I guarantee you every single one of those engineers knew exactly how cyclical oil work is too. It's not like jobs are impossible to find in Calgary now, it's just that the super lucrative ones have largely dried up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well if you really want to go hog wild, just give a direct subsidy to first time homebuyers! Easier for them, and house prices will rise even faster, it's an obvious win-win.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

quote:

Surrey’s City Centre is undergoing a major transformation from a suburban centre into a walkable high density, transit oriented downtown for South of the Fraser.

And yet it's all centred on a huge road apparently? loving lol.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

They've had this thing for about 20 years now called satellite radio. It's actually really good, especially if you spend a lot of time in your car.

Satellite radio is awful though. I re-upped my Sirius-XM subscription for a few months last year, and couldn't find a single station worth listening too. The music stations are pretty bad, the talk ones can be OK, but there's way too much filler. Meanwhile they all continuously run commercials for the radio station you're already listening to.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

You can get sirius for less than $16/month, just pay for a year at a time and threaten to leave every time you're up for renewal.

Yeah, I think I was paying <$5/month on a six month subscription, and I was tempted to see if I could get that down to <$1, but decided I valued the time I'd spent haggling with them on the phone more and just cancelled.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

This combines my love of goats and real estate

Has anyone registered goatre.cx yet?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lexicon posted:

We actually allow people to have a sale take place over 3 years to facilitate their avoidance of capital gains??

This is a country where we allow people to buy citizenship.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Snuffman posted:

But if you're a foreigner, you're not Canadian so you don't fall under the Canadian Bill of Rights...right? :confused:

Also, from here:

"It recognizes the rights of individuals to life, liberty, personal security and enjoyment of property. It does not recognize "possession" of property, since that is a matter of provincial jurisdiction.

...so uh...nice try foreign home buyers?

You're completely misreading that. A right to possession of property would mean that the government can't take your poo poo via expropriation. Also that law doesn't even really apply since the Charter exists. And while some Charter rights are limited to the citizenry proper, these are mostly political rights, like your rights to vote and representation, etc. Everything else applies to anyone in Canada regardless of nationality; for example, our governments are not allowed to sentence people to criminal punishment without trial just because they're not from here.

That said, I'll be real surprised if this lawsuit goes anywhere at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Because nobody cares about our backwater of a province.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

leftist heap posted:

lol the BoC is probably gonna cut rates.

I unironically hope they do this

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Our heat was out for two weeks in December (two of the cold weeks), and nobody noticed, because it took that long for the building to cool down. The reduced surface area, latent heat in the radiant cooling tubes, and the generally better construction mean a big building just holds a lot of heat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lobok posted:

When they run the boards do they then funnel repair and maintenance work to their friends or their own companies?

That's almost certainly the goal.

mashed_penguin posted:

I don't understand why someone who doesn't have an ownership interest in a strata should be able to serve on its board. That just seems stupid.

And yeah, it's weird that this is allowed at all, especially since I think condominium corporations are operating under their own legislation anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

RBC posted:

I dunno why everyone is laughing at the crackhouse media whores, they spent like 1.2 million to buy it and renovate and it's worth 2.5+. Proof you can be a complete goofus in this market and still end up with bags of money somehow.

Yeah, literally the only thing they've done wrong is not selling their house and cashing out. Congrats you just made $1M, go live somewhere that's better than this dump of a country.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kikkoman posted:

Kind of a historical question: back in the eighties when people had 20%+ interest rates, were amortization schedules planned over 25-30 years? I tried googling the evolution of amortization lengths and came up short. Maybe I wasn't searching with the right words.

I'm told my parents bought their first place in '82, on like a <5 year amortization. The down payment was on the order of 50%, purchase price about $80,000.

The same property last sold in 2014 for $600,000. Structure of the house looks the same, though there is now a separate garage that I don't think existed at the time.

I'm actually curious to pull the full title and verify all of this, but not about to spend :10bux:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 31, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Rime posted:

Nobody can time the market, dipshit. All you can do is get lucky.

I Loose My House is such a good thread subtitle, but drat if the titles on this and the CanPol thread aren't currently better somehow. Has this one been Uncle Wong's Cabin since the beginning?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm intrigued by his claim that oil is already back.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

I know loving lol

Opec is totally working you guys

I'm convinced opec is actually doing us a favor in the long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I thought the First World War led to the Weimar Republic?

From what Wikipedia says (and my own vague recollections of early 20th century history), it seems like the major issue there was Weimar Germany attempting to pay down its reparation debt with hard (i.e. foreign) currency. The inability to do this led to printing of more German currency to buy hard currency, devaluing the German currency and causing hyperinflation. Loose monetary policy isn't being used to pay a third party - it's being used (badly) to keep liquidity in the economic system, resulting in loose lending and a misallocation of capital (by idiot Canadians) into real estate. Does he really think one has something to do with the other?

And in addition to what others have said, hyperinflation in Weimar Germany had basically nothing to do with the rise of the Nazi party. That can be pretty squarely attributed to the Great Depression causing a collapse in American credit, a choice to embrace austerity, and an elite absolutely terrified by the prospect of communism.