Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's pretty funny how there's so much pressure for married couples to buy a house even though they really don't need the extra space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nothing like cramming poor people into artisanal rabbit hutches

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Can't buy a haircut.

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

Vancouver could be like Vienna and build massive amounts of publicly owned housing, though that would involve giving incentives to developers, which does not seem terribly popular in this thread.

(It would also require tons of federal funds)

The Vienna model works because the city owns most of the land and buildings, hence has more leverage to dictate terms.

Also more fundamentally it works since the Austrian federal government provides lots of funding to subsidize the public housing model.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like how in terms of household debt to income Canada has already exceeded the peak of the US credit bubble.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

That's way to high for an elevator tradesman unless his Dad owns the company.

Then, when I’m 30 or so and ready to have kids, I can move out of Toronto and have a huge home for my family.

I'm glad that he built his wealth on non-diversified local real estate holdings.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Well businesses in Toronto managed to lobby for less frequent and less stringent elevator service and maintenance regulation. It's a race to the bottom, a very fast race to the bottom with a hard landing.

falling windows and falling elevators.

Condo life is the best

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Worst. It was less painful to hear that my parents got scammed for six figures in a prefab condo operation that has since vanished under questionably legal restructuring.

The whole concept of people signing up for pre-sales makes my head hurt, especially given how the non-refundable deposits are fairly large

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

Look at it this way. Take the minimum downpayment before the CMHC will make you take out mortgage insurance, which is approximately 25% of your home purchase value. Then figure out the cost of borrowing the remaining 75% including insurance, closing fees etc. Then figure out how much you'll pay monthly. If that number is less than what it costs to rent an equivalent property, then buy. If not, don't buy and keep waiting for home values to decline.

Yeah the hilarity of this bubble is you have people paying $1500-$2000 a month more just for the joy of homeownership.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ceciltron posted:

And nobody will learn anything in the process.

The big short ending owned

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

leftist heap posted:

Lol, this is some great late stage capitalism poo poo. Nobody makes enough money or has a stable enough job to qualify for mortgages anymore. Guess we better loosen mortgage requirements!

It's like the ninja scene in The Big Short

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHU_KLYhibI

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The chinese will be forced to import smug Vancouverites to make it a authentic neighborhood.

We live in a world class city with lots of jobs and opportunity!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

He's literally an irl shitposter as an analyst for a "boutique" fund aka no one invests in it lmao

He's probably just like that Zero Hedge weirdo who got disbarred for finance sector fraud.

But but I use lingo overkill so it means people will be believe my crazy arguments.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

Reminder: Strata councils are little tin pot dictatorships

I am pretty sure that strata councils have absolutely zero legal powers to lock people out of private property but the whole strata council concept is so broken that I'm sure nothing will happen and other strata councils will start doing this.

Reminder condos combine the shittiness of apartment living with the pains of home ownership

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Airbnb rentals are pretty horrible.

Also lolling at the idiot he didn't realize that part of being in a condo means piles of rules.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vancouver is colony of mainland china

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ocrumsprug posted:

Them underpaying is only part of the reason for their turnover. If you are staying in Vancouver, that is close to top of the line you can expect.

It's another horrible salt mine cult compound tech company that tries to look like a fun place on the outside.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MickeyFinn posted:

20% isn't enough, 50-75% and bust.

Well just look at a the Big Short, it only takes a small amount of failures to collaspe things like mortgage security bonds.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

inexplicably veered off the road and hit a large stone

The best part of the article

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4kJ9TGhJA

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao the Canadian federal government is having to bail out bankrupt Albertan energy companies

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-oilwells-orphans-idUSKBN16E2I1

quote:

The Canadian province of Alberta may get federal aid to help clean up the rising number of oil wells whose owners have gone bankrupt, with federal officials acknowledging the relevant provincial agency lacks sufficient funds.

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley told reporters late Monday in Houston that she expects to have "something to announce on that in the weeks to come", without giving details.

The number of so-called orphan wells in Canada spiked after the 2014 oil price crash as companies went bankrupt, prompting provincial officials and industry to seek federal help for remediation. If not cleaned up, old wells can contaminate soil and affect animal and human health.

When asked about Notley's comments, the federal Natural Resources ministry said it is continuing to meet with regional authorities. Last week, ministry spokeswoman Tania Pereira said the government is reviewing proposals but noted orphan wells are legally a provincial responsibility.

While Canadian federal officials have been publicly mum on the subject, in private they have deemed that "underfunded" provincial orphan well programs do not have enough money to properly carry out their tasks, according to two 2016 internal Natural Resources briefing notes seen by Reuters.

Bubbles are great as long the government and tax payer is on the hook for cleanup costs!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

Update to condo board hijacking from the other week - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/condo-owners-resign-toronto-1.4131732

Forensic accountants and lawyers. Sounds delightful.

I've always found buying condos to be a strange concept.

Let's combine the misery of apartment life with the insanity of HOAs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

How do you even spend that much on groceries if you're eating out twice a week as well what the gently caress are they even eating?

Also $220 a month on coffee

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Butcher posted:

Just for kicks to kill the end of my shift today I created a HAL portfolio based on all the publicly traded companies in his list, backtested from the day he posted it, Jan 30, 2015.

Assuming an equal weighting of each ticker:

HAL portfolio total return: -3.19%
US total market return: 21.58%
CDN total market return: 2.64%

Best pick: Cott Beverage Corp: 99.48%
Runner up: Maple Leaf foods: 68.45%

Worst pick: Valeant Pharmaceuticals: -89.68%
Runner up: Niko Resources: -78.00%

Winners: financials
Losers: oil/mining

Everything else, pretty mixed bag.

lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Hhahahahha let’s floor this gas pedal and take the bubble to the moon!

At least this means you would no longer be in Vancouver....

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

it's san francisco

Of course

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

I'm the plumber who trained himself by watching Windows screensavers.

Remember this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkV8PqlMwNc

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sitchensis posted:

I was looking at bachelor apartments in Metro Vancouver on Padmapper. I don't think I saw one that started below $1,500 a month. gently caress this dumb city.

Vancouver: Where overpriced rents meets a undersized job market.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

quote:

“The local mainstream media (MSM) have made great efforts to play down the systemic nature of the early findings of the Royal Commission along with the fall in house prices in Sydney,” David writes:

‘House Prices will fall, but not crash’ is the chorus despite Sydney house prices falling through the floor on the back of rising funding costs and weakening credit conditions. No doubt, revenues from real-estate and bank advertising remain a critical revenue component for Australian MSM news sites, relative to their international peers.

Humorously, the MSM has also begun to turn their attention on smaller housing markets that are showing signs of strength and increased credit expansion, such as Hobart, Tasmania, which has a population of just 220,000.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dinosaurtrain posted:

I don't even know what the loving point to this graph is. Ft Lauderdale the most expensive place in North America to live lol

It's more a matter of local income vs things like rent.

Homes are much cheaper in Florida but rent is fairly high compared to income.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RBC posted:

stopped reading at "We know that a $300,000/year household income is pretty middle class"

lol

quote:

This post will give you a taste of what it’s like to make $1 million a year. You’ll also get to decide whether making a top 0.1% income is truly worth the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

McGavin posted:

Tale as old as time
True as it can be
There's no IPO
The CEO must go
Unexpectedly

Just a little change
Small to say the least