Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Admiral Bosch posted:

This show felt like it lost steam near the end; I think if they were going to have a one-season test run they should have finished on a climactic showdown with the Englishmen, even if that wouldn't be as historically accurate. That said, the woman that plays Aslaug is easily one of the most beautiful people I have ever seen.

idk I felt like the creepy music really added weight to the myriad things going on, and yes Aslaug is bangin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ragnar should have killed Siggy long ago.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I cant believe Lagertha went and married some other dude and it looks like he treats her like poo poo :smith:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Is Athelstan still Ragnar's slave?

also calling athelstan hooking up w/ lagertha this season

Pretty sure when Ragnar gave him a wristband it meant he was a real man in viking society and no longer his slave.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Mostly it's just minor stuff like streamlining family trees (skipping Ragnar's second wife, divvying up his children differently, etc.) and fudging the years on a few minor characters

I wanted to get upset when I saw the dreaded 'four years later' between S1 and 2 but then it made sense when Ragnar talked about replenishing young people lost in the plague.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

hypersleep posted:

Speaking of Siggy and the time jump, what the gently caress was Siggy doing for four years? Are we really suppose to believe she just sort of stuck around living an invisible life while Rollo was an alcoholic for FOUR YEARS? They write her character as someone who doesn't waste time seeking out and taking advantage of opportunities, so why would she essentially stay in limbo for four years? Feels like lazy writing, to be honest.

Probably waging a daily battle with Rollo about being a bum while trying to find opportunities to advance her own position- which requires a man.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

hypersleep posted:

It just seems weird that she'd still be hanging around Rollo instead of hooking up with a higher status dude at the first opportunity. I guess you could assume she has no other options in Kattegat and needs someone to support her (although how Rollo supports himself is another question, never mind supporting Siggy too).

She was packing up chests of goods/treasure right after Haraldson was killed so she probably has earls wealth squared away somewheres. Rollo probably mooches off of her. She needs him because a single woman in that kind of society is nothing and is actually in a degree of danger. He just needs her for poon and drinking money :v:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I keep expecting Athelstan to have some moral conflicts but hes not flinching yet.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

And that totally wasn't a metaphor for Aethelstan's transformation from holy man to viking marauder.

He literally killed his old self

Holy poo poo Bjorn got big!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Brennan posted:

So you want to see her get killed?

Shed probably cozy up to Jarl Borg and become wifey #3 before it came to that.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I wonder if Rollo will win his redemption if he can keep Auslag and sons safe until Ragnar returns or if he'll be shunned even more for not dying with the village.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

The eagle is your destiny... BLOOD EAGLE THAT IS :black101::hf::rimshot:

Was that an eagles wingbone the seer was holding?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bjorn gonna kill that punk

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Holy poo poo Athelstan

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Sash! posted:

I'm not a doctor of lifeology but I'm pretty sure he'd have died by now

Crucified people lingered for days, which is why they went to spear him.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

hypersleep posted:

They're setting up something to happen between Floki and Athelstan. All of the dirty looks Floki shoots Athelstan make me feel it in my bones.

Also, for a while, I was wondering if Ecbert was going to try to turn Athelstan, but after being crucified I doubt Athelstan has any warm feelings for these guys.

He probably just wants Athelstan for info/leverage since hes lived among the vikings and knows their ways.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Maan I hope Ragnar ditches Auslag or something happens to her shes a whiny little bitch. Lagertha 4lyfe

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

darthzeta88 posted:

God season 2 is so epic... Also how did the messenger find Ragnar since Ragnar himself got lost to get there?

This was a killer episode and next week looks even better but theres a couple more shaky things like Lagertha kicked her husbands rear end and took his men and who were the dudes that Athelstan was hunting with? They looked like englishmen..then they were attacked by englishmen :psyduck:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

qbert posted:

I was pumping my fist at that ending. Cannot wait for next week.

The eagle bit with Jarl Borg and the seer didnt make any sense to me until I looked up Ragnar and and his sons and read about the Blood Eagle :v:

(dont look into it if you dont want spoilers)

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

hypersleep posted:

Oh poo poo did Lagertha just make her final appearance? That felt strangely final.

Edit: On the other hand, I think the writers know Lagertha fans would be pissed if she was just out of the picture once Björn was reintroduced.

I kept expecting (hoping) Ragnar to beg her to stay :smith:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Maksamakkara posted:

Well I'll be pretty disappointed if Athelstan reverts back to Christ. Anyhow, I have now watched two Tudors episodes and, maybe this is due to my bad flue and fever, but it is qualitywise nowhere near the Vikings. Still going to watch an episode or two before finally ditching it.

I tried to like Black Sails this way too but all the GoT style sexuality killed it for me. I made it three episodes in before ditching it.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I was starting to like Siggy too :smith:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gyges posted:

Bjorn gonna get a servant lady.

Like father like son

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bjorn wants some booty :v:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I forgot this whole time period is centuries after the roman empire.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

holy poo poo :stare:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Isnt Bjorns girl in that barn too? With the servants..

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ok she got saved by his ding dong

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Brennan posted:

After that History Channel better allow it to be brutally depicted next week

They'll do it as a sneak peak during a commercial break :cripes:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

savinhill posted:

Horik's just a selfish, flighty dickhead and he stupidly treats his allies like they're his subjects. The whole reason things got ugly between Ragnar and Yarl Borg is because King Horik decided he couldn't stomach having Borg come along on the raid at the last minute and dumped the breakup speech off on Ragnar. Now he expects Ragnar to forgive Borg after Borg's done much worse to Ragnar than he ever did to Horik.

It's gonna be a Double Blood Eagle.

Well judging from the preview it looks like Borg tries to weasel Horik into helping him and most likely both will be exiting the show :v:

Siggy will need to find a new slam piece

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

marktheando posted:

Beautiful? :stare:

But yes I'm curious as to how much they can get away with, in terms of violence and gore. I doubt they will be showing much. Severed heads and eye stabbings are one thing, cracking open someone's ribcage and pulling their lungs out then rubbing salt in the wounds is a whole different level.

If you've ever seen any werewolf movie ever they could do the ribcage burst quite well, the whole blood thing and the lungs is another matter entirely

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Falukorv posted:

It also means castle in Swedish (related to Burg). Borg was also a soldier sobriquet in the Swedish army during the early modern period.

I kind of sympathize with Jarl Borg a little bit. He agreed to follow them to England and make peace, Horik and Ragnar then broke their promise and insulted him, and by doing so also broke their peace agreement. And maybe this is just me, but i still think he makes a better partner than Horik. Horik is playing a long con against Ragnar despite being treated alot closer to an equal partner than Borg ever was.

edit: "Sympathize" is perhaps the wrong word, more like "emphasize". He still invaded a village with basically old folk, women and children as the main defense.

I like Jarl Borg a lot better than Horik. The dead wife skull and crazy eyes make him interesting. Much more so than old lechers.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I finally got around to watching this episode and I cant believe they killed Jarl Borg. I thought for sure he would escape and they showed it too! With all the implied violence even though it was artsy enough not to show much that was wild.

I wonder what Jarl Borgs death does for King Horiks confessed desire to kill Ragnar. Or if the arrival of the "new ally" puts all that poo poo on the back burner..

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

thehacker0 posted:

Seemed like it might have been symbolic - maybe sending a message to Horik that he knew what was up with him and Borg? Just an idea, but it may have been just to eat

Well they did have to burn the winter stores so rat is a mighty fine meal when you got nothin..

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

maninacape posted:

It could also be a case of good old Viking humour, i.e. he had very large bones and was a pretty huge guy. Maybe Floki gives him the nickname.

It'll be interesting to see which way they go with it on the show thats for sure, given all the speculation about the chronicles and ballads.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Speaking of successful raids, whatever happened to all the treasure from Winchester anyway?

Rat kebabs :stonk:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gyges posted:

drat it, show what's wrong with the baby!

So whats wrong with Ivar? His legs are hosed up?

Ok they just showed it his legs look like noodles

Hexel fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 18, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Maan Horik got Floki wrapped around his finger

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

etalian posted:

Floki is basically chaotic neutral

I knew he was gonna be in Horiks camp when he mentioned the Gods, Floki is a sucker for The Gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Well judging by the preview it looks like Horik is gonna lead some dumbass charge right into cavalry so hopefully he'll bite the big one :toot:

• Locked thread