Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Potsticker posted:

You have a lot of good points on what Wizard did that was cool. And really there are enough different tastes that I don't think there's any series that is universally reviled by everyone who posts in this thread.

I have weird mixed feelings about Wizard. I think it would have been a good series if it had been kinda truncated. I feel like somebody should kind of curate the episodes that comprise the Wizard "Sizzle Reel" and just dump it down to like those 20-something episodes.

The show had some really great moments. His solution for Phoenix was amazing. The first Infinity Henshin was super good. The episodes that were primarily about Beast were pretty good.

It was just waaay too stretched out with every "monster of the week" being a 2-part episode with no real plot development for a lot of them. Just 2 weeks of donut jokes and rescuing a person who is at best begrudgingly along for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It's me, the giant nerd who teared up a little during the ToQ finale when Right's mom did the lantern thing.

Is it still the general consensus that I should switch over to Over-Time if they decide to do Nininjer? I've been watching TV-N for years, but I feel like maybe I should change it up.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Some Numbers posted:

Serious question, why do you still watch TV-Nihon? Habit?

Habit pretty much, yeah :shobon:

Poison Mushroom posted:

For gently caress's sake, this is literally "keikaku means plan" level subbing.

I'm almost certain that was a translator joke. Monster Hunter 3 also has a little cat-person on that same boat named "Neko (Means Cat)".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Xelkelvos posted:

White mecha officially useless in and out of suit it looks like. Also, I can't wait to see Blue do actual *~Magic~*

THEY'RE CALLED ILLUSIONS.

That was probably my favorite Super Robo design out of every sentai I've ever seen. Robots piloting robots :allears:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Potsticker posted:

C'mon, Torin wasn't a sixth. That was Utsusemimaru. Torin was just an extra ranger.

Doggie Kruger :v:

At least for a few episodes until Tetsu showed up.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Solaris Knight posted:

And then they carried that over into Mystic Force :colbert:

In other news, another Kamen RIder and Super Sentai crossover!

http://news.tokunation.com/2015/02/25/kamen-rider-drive-shuriken-sentai-ninninger-team-up-special-airing-march-29-25102

I'm almost hoping these become a yearly thing.

That grimdark Kamen Rider super robo, oh man :monocle:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cliff Racer posted:

Because they tend to do things the same way each year. Early on there was at least some rivalry between the sixths and the main team in those first few seasons, from there it just became tradition. How is that they (with two exceptions) never had an orange ranger? Tradition.

Which was the other orange? :confused:

Deka Swan?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Light Gun Man posted:

Pretty obviously a red.

:golfclap:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SpazmasterX posted:

We already got it. It's Drive Type: Formula and in suit pictures and toys are already out there.

That said, the power-up seems to usually show up in a movie like 5 episodes before it does in the series proper.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

Last crosspost from me from the Xenoverse thread.

Just in case anyone here wants to join me in defending justice with fists of fury and orange helmets.

The female Majin racial costume, Dyno Woo-gi, has a bitchin scarf as part of the top. I might have to turn my ladybuu into a Rider tonight :stare:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

I'll warn- one super annoying thing is that lady characters cannot wear the traditional helmet.

They get the Great Saiyawoman/Saiyaman 2 helmet design instead (though with the wrong colors for some reason)

Like, it changes depending on if a dude is wearing it or a woman, I tested it out the other day. Also apparently women can't get the Great Saiyaman Pose option in over world. No idea why

It's okay, I still have access to the full suite of Ginyu Force poses.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

jivjov posted:

I'd be happier with that than what the did for the Dino crossover. Don't get me wrong, I loved that movie...but the GoBusters got the shortest possible end of the teamup movie stick.

Dammit :negative:
This reminded me that I liked GoBusters so much, you guys. I really, really liked that show, and also Beet J. Stag. Number one best robot who is kind of a dick.

That show was so good that it brought be back around on the issue of a Super Sentai acknowledging the phrases "Megazord" and "It's Morphin Time".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stallion Cabana posted:

didn't he like fall straight asleep after one transformation? I thought that was like, he can't maintain the transformation forever and if he goes too long he gets exhausted. I dunno.

Something that watching the previews for the movie reminded me of asking;

Do Kamen Riders 1 and 2 still have their actual actors, or are they just the suit guys now? Like that show is 20-30 years old, right? So the actors must be ancient. And why are movies always about Shocker and Kamen Riders 1 and 2? Is it just the nostalgia factor or something? I admit not having this because I never saw the first series, so if it's just that they are super beloved Icons and I'd get if it I watched the show I can understand that.

Hiroshi Fujioka is absolutely still alive, and continues to reprise his role.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well I watched all the previous crossovers and went with basic probability.

I kinda liked the Decade/Shinkenger one :shobon:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"quality/tone of Ninninger so far

I'm still way too pumped about the robot that is piloted by a smaller robot to stay mad at Takaharu's bad actor :colbert:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rei_ posted:

Ryouma cutting his own brain out and putting it into a robot, Dr. Gero "how did you do that to yourself" style is one of the best god drat moments of the entire series.

hahaha I forgot about that. Then, afterwards, he's just back to normal like nothing happened.

Second best part of that show was also Ryouma, when he peaced out for a few episodes by escaping from his lab in a tiny rocketship, Dr. Wily style.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I have always wondered "How the gently caress is this going to translate for American kids" since Shinkenger.

Like Shinkenger, it will be a bunch of New Zealand kids and one token Miyagi* to teach them the ways of the Ninja :v:

*they should really just dig out a Ninjor suit and send 10,000 90s kids into hysterics.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

oh man is that DenLiner at the front? :allears:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So, how many episodes until Nira turns out to be either a Roidmude, or working with the Roidmudes?

The alternative comedy answer is that he's just a massive rear end in a top hat who wants to shut down the special cases division for unrelated reasons, and this attracts a Roidmude core that gloms onto his "bureaucratic ambition" or whatever in order to evolve.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

Uh

So

That's going to be a thing apparently

Is that an Ultraman who makes armor out of Kaiju parts, or something? :allears:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Flameingblack posted:

I don't know why there's a shocker that most Sentai revolves around red. Red has always been the leader and leading role of every single series for decades, it's like that for every single one of them.

Yeah, but he's usually not such a dead-center Shonen protagonist. He's even got that "ugh, I'm so bad at school things but what I'm really good at is battling monsters" thing going.

Usually when Red is a Mary Sue, he's kind of a backseat Mary Sue that plays off the rest of the team, like Daigo or Akashi.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Twelve by Pies posted:

TVN seems really dead-set on translating everything as literally as possible and that's actively harmful to good translation, it's why you get really weird and off-putting sounding stuff like their Heartcatch translation of Blossom's catch phrase as "My bag of tolerance has snapped!"

Haha I had forgotten about the Bag of Tolerance :allears:
Would it have been that hard to just do "I've had it up to here with you!"?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'll always fondly remember the day I had to pause the episode of Go-Onger I was watching and google "tachi" because I had no clue what it meant and it would apparently be some sort of sin against Japan and toku to just write "and the others" in the subtitles.

IIRC their Magiranger had a lot of those, too, along the lines of nii-san-tachi. Like, on the one hand, I understand that that's more specific than "you guys." On the other hand, English doesn't really ever get more specific with a group of familiar individuals than "you guys", so it's moot because you're translating to English!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Poison Mushroom posted:

That's not entirely true. "The usual suspects", "my dear friends" for the especially formal (Utsuwhatshisface from Kyoryuger for example?), "X, everyone", there's a few ways to make it work depending on the speaker and what they're saying.

Well, right, but I'm talking about how "Let's go, my various older siblings!" is not a sentence that anybody would utter unironically in English.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cernunnos posted:

Roy Muchos!

I really want him to call them "Rudeboys"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Some Numbers posted:

Episode 10 feels really early to introduce a sixth ranger. Do we know if the team will get any bigger?

This was my thought, as well. I wonder if this is gonna be one of those sentai that has like 8-10 rangers by the end of the series, like Kyoryuger or Magiranger.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fooley posted:

An awkwardly foreign influenced ranger will join until half the team are ninja, and the other half is basically Battle Fever J.

Please give us a cartoon Russian ninja. There's a star on that hat, and everything.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Can we talk about Rodeomaru's combining jingle, with the electric bluegrass and "YEE HAW" loop?

Is this what Japan thinks we are like? :ohdear:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
poo poo, I just watched Polygon's gameplay video of Chroma Squad, and it is so thoroughly my jam. Guess I'm spendin more money on video games tomorrow :shepspends:

e:
can't decide between Cynical Marketing Force Bandaiger, or Evangelical Dance Squad Archanger

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I can't play until tonight, but I might save it for tomorrow anyway so I can stream it.

I'm still strongly considering weird Christian Rock sentai "Evangelical Dance Team Archanger", but I feel like I'd run out of steam after making their robot summon "Jesus, take the wheel!"

I think I'd get more mileage out of something like "Fallen Star Sentai Ryuseiger" and give them all space gimmicks.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fooley posted:

Team: Clown Posse Jugglman
Henshin: Whoop Whoop
Robot Summon: Time for some MMFWCL!

Work is taking forever.

poo poo. Make the henshin button the "Whoop Whoop" and the phrase they shout, "We're down with the clown!"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tricky posted:

So from what I've gathered, the Rider stuff is one of the branches for Season 5.

Kinda wish it was DLC, instead :shobon:
I mean, I'll see how I feel when I get there, but my gut says it will be weird switching gears from "beautiful sentai too pure for this world" to "beautiful kamen rider too pure for this world".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Man I just bothered glancing at the system reqs, and it looks like I can run this on my cheap-rear end windows tablet. Does Steam Cloud appear to be properly carrying save files and stuff? I might play this on my lunch breaks for the foreseeable future.

e: :laffo: the only negative review on the store page right now is mad because the game contains memes and social justice.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 30, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tricky posted:

More Season 5 stuff:

So after the Season 4 finale, I'm guessing you have three options. 2 and 3 are definitely available:

1. Kill Tammy before Gaga - Techie turns into a Rider? Tammy's sister?
2. Kill Gaga, pick Tammy - 6th Ranger path?
3. Kill Gaga, pick Cerebro - Universe Sheriff/Metal Hero path (choice between Attack/Defense/Support type)

I ended up picking the Attack Sheriff, but apparently it gave me the Support moveset which is awful. He gets a 3-round self-buff that works like the support's pose at the start of each turn, a pistol, and a Healdouken that slaps him with a debuff for -30% atk/-1 move.

The lack of equipment options or skill alternatives on the 6th hero is going to make using them really unsatisfying if they're all like the Sheriffs.

Unfortunately, the lack of a save slot system makes testing different branches tough.

The Techie becomes a rider? :allears: My tech is that guy with the massive afro. I am pleased by this news.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tae posted:

How is chroma squad as an actual tactical game, rating from Front Mission to like...Pokemon Conquest.

Somebody who's played more than me should probably weigh in on this, but:
In the first Season, at least, it's like Baby's First Disgaea. The "Teamwork" ability especially reminds me of Disgaea, allowing multiple rangers next to an enemy to combine their attacks into a super attack, and allowing rangers to extend each others movements through acrobatic tosses.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Serperoth posted:

Go-Busters can be found on Over-Time's website (over-ti.me), but you're probably wanting the batches (here for the first half and I can't find the second half for some reason). Shinkenger is not complete yet, but Over-Time is also doing that.

I don't know if I'd recommend Go-Busters, since it is a bit different from other Sentai shows. The one that came before it, Gokaiger showcases Sentai better, while also showing you a glimpse of many series, so that if you like it, you have an idea of what other shows are like.

I dunno if I would recommend Gokaiger for a newcomer, since the entire series is based on references to other sentai. It is really good, though, and Captain Marvelous is the best :allears:

Shinkenger is definitely a good starting point. I enjoyed Go-Busters a lot, but it is a somewhat non-traditional sentai. I also liked basically every episode of Gogo Sentai Boukenger, and it had some of my favorite music.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Starninjer is pretty great, and I like how he's apparently been hunting Youkai in America?

Like, does he just have an instagram full of weird selfies where he's kicking Bigfoot's rear end? Because that's what I choose to believe :colbert:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I was hoping with the "American ninja" thing they'd get someone who was actually fluent in English, like Jiraiya was in Kakuranger, but nope it's a guy speaking English with a terribly heavy Japanese accent.

They should have just had Robert Baldwin again, and with some kind of square-dancing gimmick.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Larryb posted:

While I kind of like Kinji so far I do wish that seeing as they're protraying him as an American-born Japanese man they probably should have, you know, hired an actual American-born Japanese actor to play him like they did with Jiraiya in Kakuranger (or at the very least, an actor that's fluent in English).

Also it seems a little weird to be getting the complete team only 10 episodes in. Hopefully we'll be getting at least one more ranger down the line or, failing that, a suit-only ally like DaiGoyou or Zubaan to keep things fresh.

OH gently caress. They should have gotten Hiro Mizushima to do it. He grew up in Switzerland and speaks fluent English, and would be constantly reminding us in our subconscious of the Best Rider :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Light Gun Man posted:

My body is ready.

Dekaranger was my first actual super sentai, having previously just seen Saban's stuff over here in the states. I started downloading fansubs in my freshman year of college, and the roommates and I were all really fascinated by the choice to give super serious characterization to the guy in the dog muppet suit.

Now I don't even skip a beat on that stuff. "Wise God Torin? Yes I am on board implicitly."

• Locked thread