Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm okay with that change. Florida had the best ToT anyway, the CA copy was a lower budget me-too ride that (partially because it was so low budget) looked like poo poo that could see be seen for many blocks.

Turning it into a sci-fi villain fortress is acceptable if it has the same kind of detail that Cars Land and the new entrance has, rather than being a relic of the Eisner 'Florida first' years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

chitoryu12 posted:

Rumor mill is currently that Ellen's Energy Adventure will be what goes away for our Guardians attraction, with suggestions that it'll use the IP to cover educational information on the solar system.

Universal retains all rights to Marvel properties in Florida. WDW isn't getting any Marvel rides which is why the corporate HQ is determined to pack the west coast with as much of it as they can.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Circutron posted:

We're also desperately pretending here that Song of the South wasn't an IP... :v:

It was the first toon IP to escape the confines of Fantasyland. Which has become more of a problem in the 21st century.

During Splash's final months of construction and first weeks of operation, I spent more time at the parks than I did any time in my life. Disneyland had actual periods where the crowds were dead, characters didn't have lines form to meet them but instead entertained small crowds and picked kids out of a mob, many rides had little to no waiting. Splash was the new big thing so I feel like I kinda understand how boomers feel watching it fade into history. The new ride sounds fine, but I hope they don't use this as an excuse to rip 50+ animatronics out.

Also hoping the "Splash Mountain" name sticks, it's a classic title that has gently caress-all to do with Song of the South specifically.

And finally I'd put my money on Peter Pan's Flight being next. The ethnic stereotypes in that make up very little of the ride and aren't as memorable as flying over the city or Captain Hook.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 26, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

chitoryu12 posted:

With Splash Mountain, the question you really need to ask is "What happens when the younger generation asks about this ride?" While the ride itself is as divorced as possible from Song of the South, eventually those black kids going on it will learn that it's based on a movie that shows slavery as not all that bad, and they'll ask why the gently caress you left this up.

As the content of the ride goes, Splash Mountain has never been as blatantly offensive to me personally as The Enchanted Tiki Room. Obviously it's not the first/only place Disney has cartooned the Polynesian culture, they have a whole hotel dedicated to doing that in Orlando, and cartooning island culture was simply a big thing in Southern California during Disneyland's era thanks to the success of Don The Beachcomber and other tiki themed establishments. But the choice to use Walt's favorite hack comedian Wally Boag, a white guy, to play Jose, a bird who talks in a stereotypical hispanic drawl and tries to Spanglish it up by using 'senor' in sentences, is modern cringe.

Splash Mountain's biggest sin was the use of southern black vernacular that's associated with minstrel acts. I was kind of surprised they didn't whitewash that with new actors, but the corporate problem is the feedback loop of the ride generating outsized demand for a movie that they don't want to show.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 26, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
:capitalism:
Well, I hope by the holidays they have their procedures down better.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The Tokyo parks opened and seemingly went well, because Japanese people don’t go Karen and shout about their grandfather’s sacrifice to the flag wasn’t so we could all wear masks. People wore masks and stood where told to.

gently caress them not testing CMs, though. Union lawsuits are going down in Nevada about a lack of mandatory testing and lack of protection for service workers, but not even setting up an employee testing site at a convention center (probably Coronado since it doesn’t have DVC attached) and giving people access to a test even if you don’t require one is so stupid.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
To my mind Pandora is freakin amazing because it looks like a bunch of poo poo that shouldn’t survive in Florida. The plants are wholly made up, the floating rock things certainly don’t look built to stand against hurricanes, it feels like somewhere else and while of course it’s an IP land it’s subtle about it.

Disney World’s natural terrain can best be described as “plants that try to kill you overnight”, look just past the freshly cut lawns and it turns to jungle thick so suddenly that you can imagine cast members with machetes hacking the vines away from all the buildings each morning. So even something like Wilderness Lodge, which is based on a real life space and isn’t some Toontown or Nintendo surreal landscape, is something I can appreciate for succeeding in getting that Not Swampland vibe.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fame Douglas posted:

TIL an Avatar-themed area opened in 2017. jfc, if there ever was a movie that didn't deserve it.

The original Disneyland castle was created as a promotional item for a movie that wasn't finished/released yet. Things don't necessarily "deserve" poo poo, and it's managers telling the architects and designers that the values of intellectual property dictate what goes in that causes things to falter and then you end up with poo poo like Disneyland's Pixar Pier, where a long-troubled area of the park got themed to Pixar movies. Not a specific Pixar movie, just a carnival of all things Pixar; because Ed Catmull demands no less than 25 acres of Walt's space-limited orange grove be devoted to his legacy. They didn't even build anything new, just redecorated the old, because the demolition of A Bug's Land to make a Marvel area means Ed is owed some more motherfucking acres goddamnit.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 4, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Galaxy's Edge is a really weird idea, because no matter how hard Disney tries to nail a distant location the vast majority of people are wearing mouse ears, sports team logos, World's Greatest Dad etc as Disney visitors usually do. No matter how much ren faire cosplay stuff you do, the tourists all still look the same.

It kind of reminds me of those messages in the Indiana Jones queue that they forgot about in less than a decade.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I actually think Pandora works better for that because it's very in character for the outside faction in that story to come up with a propaganda scheme where they bring a bunch of defenseless fat guys in park shirts and little girls in princess dresses to Pandora and show how safe and non-threatening it is. Whereas it doesn't make sense for the Star Wars universe to have a place where everybody is walking around with lightsabers, even replica ones.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

man maybe that's your thing but I'm not into it. I'm not a fan of Miranda and I like my HoP pretty serious :smith:

I think the alternative is the end of the attraction and a bunch of AA parts going to Epcot and Splash Mountain 2. They are not happy with hosting a virtual rally at MK anymore and it seems going back to the point where only Lincoln speaks is unacceptable.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 6, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Splash's problem (and the reason the online petition only hastened the announcement and it would have happened anyway) is that there's limited merchandising opportunities. They took a vertical slice of a story and tried really hard to make it inoffensive, but there's only so many Brer Rabbit plushies you can sell if you're not selling the movie and the source work is written in a 'southern slavery' vernacular like, "yes sah we sure lovin' dis E-tikkit flume." And people already complained when that was presented in traditional English.

HoP's issues is a whole 'nother dimension entirely. Again, in my mind they should have just stopped letting incumbents speak, which only started after the show was 20 years old because someone in the company liked Bill Clinton. I kinda don't want it to go away altogether because I thought the George W Bush version I saw, which had a film at the start about just how terrible slavery was and how it was a can kicked down the road since the declaration of independence, was a useful history lesson for, well, the greater multi-state region. "The civil war was a justified inevitability that the founders tried to ignore" was a good message in a country that allowed so many Confederate monuments to begin with.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 6, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

chitoryu12 posted:

Not as good as removing his animatronic while he's still alive to see it.

I can tell you he does not give a poo poo. He couldn't bother to record dialogue for it, so they had to listen to his speeches and try to find the parts where he monotone reads the script and find the few parts of non-partisan filler. All he cares about is the stupid amount of money he is making off the job, and the only threat to that will be if they use RICO to go after him and tear his assets away.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It gives them a way to laugh and go "Trump was too much for those snowflakes! We won! Ha ha!" and I hate that so much.

While there are worse presidents (Jackson, Coolidge, Hoover) they didn't exist in the media context we have now. People's only real news was a few sheets of paper printed every now and then, possibly not even daily if you didn't live in a big city like New York or Chicago. The show opened just in the wrapup of the Vietnam War so it has had to deal with problems right from the get-go. Nixon was "the worst President" for decades because of his audio recordings, but Disney put up with that because he was a Friend Of Walt for a very long time. It's kind of hard to put a rosy picture on these guys who have so many hours of TV footage.

There's no problem with "letting the right win" if it means diminishing the significance of an institution they have shown will not be held completely sacred. Those people are the same ones who post "you can't express a conservative opinion here" on Reddit, ignoring that their administration are run like an online trolling operation and their leader gives speeches about how the country's most pressing threats are everyday people who not members of the party.

An attraction about a shared history and putting aside our squabbles as insignificant trite issues of the day is kind of hard in the context of a White House that lives off trite squabbles.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 6, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hazo posted:

grandfathered APs

The point of such a program is that you continue giving the company money, even if you fail to collect services rendered for the payment. There might be a year where you don't go to the parks at all, but if they've increased ticket prices so much by then they're hoping you'll give them money for the benefit of giving them less money. If you think about it, this perk gradually puts you on Disney's side at some future point, hoping they raise prices so your fixed price is more valuable. As a bonus, the park becomes less crowded because people who can't afford the new rate and weren't as financially stable as you were to buy the AP every year for years have all disappeared.

You're going to have to deicde whether to pay for The Year of Death or else pay whatever rates are afterwards. At least the cost for The Year of Death is like 25% less than a typical year since they're adjusting for the parks being completely closed for three months.

However if you're even asking these questions about if/when you renew your AP while being snarky about COVID, you're assuming this isn't going to be the new normal for a decade or more and that cities reliant on tourism like Orlando and Las Vegas aren't going to be economically turned to dust waiting it out. It's a very real possibility that this continues in perpetuity at a level you're uncomfortable with, and that's why the parks are opening. Closing for a year while and chanting for a vaccine does not guarantee a vaccine appears next year, so you may as well operate under the pretense that there is no workable vaccine and seniors are going to be annihilated for the foreseeable future.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 10, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/Imagine_Ears/status/1281401261875539968

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, they’ve capped attendance at a level that appears to make it very easy to avoid anyone, and getting in requires an appointment via app. It’s not ideal for people flying in and staying at hotels because you can’t guarantee a slot each day. But if you live nearby and have a stockpile of masks already, I could think of worse things.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I just watched a live streamer gently caress up social distancing 7 times in 4 minutes because they were passing someone and the walkways are just too close for people to walk shoulder to shoulder.

Huh? Social distancing means don't congregate in groups (like the above photo). Passing someone is fine, standing right behind them in line has been the real problem.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bottom Liner posted:

When you definitely understand how aerosol droplets spread in a pandemic

No, but anyone who simply has had to go to a grocery store for the last four months knows that it's completely impractical to expect a six-foot bubble around your person to never be even briefly penetrated by someone else. It's been acknowledged by the experts that you'll occasionally pass within six feet of strangers, just don't stop and have conversations with them.

Even the Tokyo park's opening day wasn't quite that extreme. It's not that they don't expect bodies to never get within six feet, it's that they ask you stand six feet apart on markers in line and that Americans are really bad at complying with suggestions that aren't actually rules back up by expulsion.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 12, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think a lot of this fear is overblown and yet I still think Galaxy’s Edge should just be closed off. Rise is all about group experience, the Falcon ride is all about touching things, and so is the robot assembly line thing. Take away all that and what you have left is a bar (which wouldn’t be legal even in Texas) and a lightsaber store.

Reopen it as part of their holiday push, since that’s when Disney tends to market the hell out of Star Wars. By then either the situation will have changed or people will be more resigned to taking risks with this.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 14, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mattfl posted:

No gently caress you. My mother in law had it, was in the ICU for 2 months and was moments away from being put on a vent multiple times and now has to carry oxygen around with her probably the rest of her life.

Close the parks.

I was specifically replying to the guy who basically felt that people can't even pass within six feet of each other. That if they can actually get American Karens to follow the kind of guidelines they use in Tokyo (which really aren't that aggressive and more rely on basic courtesy of things people here often won't even admit are any issue) then it shouldn't be that bad. At that point the only problem is outside the gates, e.g. that it exists in a state governed by someone as incompetent as DeSantis.

But we can't keep everything shut down and out of work "until there's a vaccine". New York etc shut down in 1916 for Polio, but the vaccine wasn't created until 1954.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 14, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Roadie posted:

The point of shutdowns is to reduce cases to 0 and then safely reopen, with constant monitoring to contain new outbreaks at the source. Plenty of countries that aren't the US have already done this.

No country has zero cases. States like Florida and Arizona are absolutely shooting themselves in the foot because their hospitals are being quickly overwhelmed, but the point of the shutdowns was to keep cases at a level medical resources can handle.

I do think WDW should shut down again, because DeSantis is running everything into the ground and what’s happening in Miami-Dade will be coming to Central Florida very soon. But the park’s operation guidelines will probably be used in Tokyo and Paris without issue because those parks aren’t dealing with the self destructive :911: leadership.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Without a multilayered UFO building to put flower and garden booths, Epcot is now worse than your county fair.

That gutter troll should be condemned to WDSP for life.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Boxman posted:

The best thing I ever read about Stitch was on Passport 2 Dreams, which claimed internal polling showed guests had a less enjoyable time at Magic Kingdom if they experienced Stitch. It was so unpleasant it was poisoning the entire day for people. Who knows if thats true, but i hope it is, because its an amazing fact.

Never went on it but I'm not surprised as it isn't the only time that's happened. Superstar Limo was the west coast version of that phenomenon.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Because Pandora went in the old spot marked for a mythical beasts expansion, put a show themed to that poo poo in the Bug theatre. I can’t really think of a better place for dragons than the base of some magic tree dividing Asia and Africa, since the two continents have different ideas of dragons and the European stereotype is a mixture of the two.

People respond way better to dragons and unicorns and poo poo than they do spiders and scorpions. By putting a Sasquatch in Everest they opened the door to this some time ago.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 18, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I’m not sure what kind of experience Alien Encounter was, but generally any Disney ride that operates in complete darkness and doesn’t thrash you about the way Dinosaur does will become the place for the kids to do drugs and perverted poo poo. Or maybe that’s a west coast cultural thing less frequent in Florida.

I’m kind of surprised the company wasn’t forced to shut it down under “somebody touched me inappropriately” reports.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

netBuff posted:

What kid can afford to got to Disney to do "drugs and perverted poo poo". And why would they go to Disney.

Like I said, it might be a west coast thing. Adventures Thru Inner Space taught everyone about neutrons and weed in equal measure until it was closed for Star Tours in the 80s.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The biggest difference to me is the crew. Land's overall average is higher because it has a bunch of lifers as well as people who are in the gig for more than a few years during college, but World also has some outstanding people who have worked hardest of anyone I've encountered, often in the less prestigious jobs there. Like I would say crowd control and custodial are often better at World precisely because fewer of the people in the job have been in a rut doing it for many years continuously.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
To be really loving blunt, if I made it to my 100th birthday (I don’t have any expectations) I would probably go to Disney World no matter the consequences. I can’t speak for that guy, but I would have made my peace in his shoes.

Like in some ways it sucks because if you celebrated 100 years from an elderly home and died from heart failure in a few weeks later most of America wouldn’t notice, but die on the same date from something you picked up celebrating a century at Disney World and it counts as a statistic, gets put in the cable news ticker scroll for a few hours, and thus causes a bunch of philosophical fat-chewing about “necessity”.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TV Zombie posted:

This was pages back but why is Tom Sawyer Island an attraction at Disneyland? It’s not Disney’s IP is it?

It's public domain and Walt didn't care about IP.

There were several other themes discussed for the island. My understanding is Herb Ryman made a Tom Sawyer concept and Walt approved.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 30, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I was really hoping Splash Mountain could hold out long enough that it's final week would be scheduled after the pandemic cools down, but I'm not certain about that. This ride is loving broken.

https://twitter.com/Kai_cece98/status/1290156166471811072

The Disneyland one is also in rough shape but I wager it will probably tough it out until the reproduction job starts. Disneyland maintenance is gunshy about letting things deteriorate to the levels of safety hazard given that doing so has previously killed guests.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
On one hand, people have to go back to work because Mitch McConnell has decided that people, organizations, and even local/state governments should face destabilizing failure if they don't. On the bright side, though, America isn't the only country on earth. Tokyo Disneyland cancelled Christmas but is operating fine. Japan is mostly operating fine. New Zealand has things open. It is not perfect. Though NZ has cases down to basically zero, they can not have any international travel whatsoever and are basically now an island isolated, but people can go outside there and live their lives like before.

Disney World is actually in a pretty good position on paper, because to many Americans domestic travel is considered tourism. However the reality is that nearly all the big USA tourist states (Florida, Nevada, California, Hawaii) are currently on everybody else's 14-day quarantine list. While enforcement is shoddy and punitive measures are rare, the state is basically asking you to not work for the next 14 days following your return home, if you don't have a work-from-home job.

The lack of federal response is the problem here. In the short-term, it would be in the benefit of tourist-driven states to work with the states they pull the largest share of tourism from to maintain similar rules and policies, so that someone who is in one state can enter another and come back without needing to quarantine. Between the tourism market and the retirees, I have to imagine New York sends a lot of visitors to Florida. So if New York is making everyone wear masks, then Florida has an economic interest in doing the same regardless of what the local voters think.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 9, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And those maskless, air-conditioned "rest areas" are absolutely not okay.
I agree.

quote:

some models are showing that it doesn't matter how much you space those tables out.

Not sure I buy this. Lots of countries that aren't anti-intelligence or science skeptical have reopened restaurants, and they haven't been the problem other facilities (nursing homes especially) have been. Although you have some unusual regulations like the Netherlands apparently limiting restaurants to 30 guests regardless of it's size.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/Austin_Cop_17/status/1292987648429170688

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Vegas changes even more often than Disney does, and based on the state of casinos in the game it seems the pictures were taken in 2014.

It's still nice that we can go and visit Epcot B.C. (Before Chapek)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Why the gently caress was this Resident Evil poo poo happening at Disney

Countdown to Q idiots saying that these are the sheds where Disney sacrifices the children.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fartington Butts posted:

Also there's big thunder. Didn't get to ride it.

All you missed was the best iteration of Big Thunder on the planet. But at least you got to see Phantom Manor so your time wasn’t wasted.

They said “naw, gently caress that” to Tom Sawyer Island and built the Big Thunder Mesa on the island instead, with trains going under the river to the island. DLP lacks a lot of stuff but they hit it out of the park with the classics.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 7, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
For those who have never been or fans from afar, it’s worth remembering that WDW often has “JESUS” written in the sky above it. It’s not surprising the kind of people who also arrange that show up and act out.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Everytime Fluffy Bunnies posts their take on covid life, I'm amazed someone can take that kind of Quarantine Forever strategy without going mad. It probably requires being a skilled worker with a job that doesn't require a physical presence or else the rebooted, drat-the-consequences economy is leaving you behind. They were also the one that talked about going to the grocery store as an every two week thing, and that's a weekly at minimum and sometimes twice a week thing for me because my cold storage isn't big enough to hold two weeks worth of food for two people.

I'm not going to Disney World soon, I'm just here to read developments and share stories sometimes. However, I wouldn't stoop to badmouthing people because they're psychologically unable to endure nine months of living in isolation without some sort of therapeutic relief.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Its almost like there are other countries that have done a better job at handling the crisis and still have basic things like restaurants. My Insta feed is full of pictures of the Tokyo DL and Pokémon Cafe.

You can say the US policy was to want the benefits of an extended lockdown without doing the work, and fair enough, but what are you going to do? Isolate for nearly an entire year because a game show host is a worse world leader than experienced statesmen? Mental health is a thing, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/reutersbiz/status/1308498284755988482