Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
From what I was told in training, a ton of club level guests book the platinum plan. It's more common than you think (I was a Yacht and Beach Concierge for about a week).

As far as I know, if a PhotoPass CD is included with the plan it won't be upgradable to the Memory Maker. Different departments, essentially.

I got to preview the Mine Train on Monday and rode it five times. It's a pretty fantastic addition to New Fantasyland.

EDIT: I just double checked and apparently the Platinum Plan hasn't included a PhotoCD for years but those old brochures are still floating around. Awkward.

Cais fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
You get the drop feelings a few times. About on par with Big Thunder Mountain. There are 3 decent drops but they do a good job of using the landscape so they don't appear huge from outside. The first one is actually on your way out of the station.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I lost about 20 pounds just by being broke and working attractions and being out in the parks every day. Now I work at a desk and I have to make an effort.

Too bad you didn't start next month. I could've been your Traditions coordinator - I'm heading back there a couple days to help cover.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
My old apartment off 535 I could watch wishes from my desk. That was fantastic. I get off at 930 most days so I've taken to popping out and watching the Star Wars Weekends fireworks. They're pretty great but I am sad they got rid of Hyperspace Hoopla.

Welcome to the kingdom! Some days I wish I was back in MK attractions. Worked the pirate ride on my program. You just missed the old liederhosen costumes, they ditched them fairly recently.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Thankfully, that's only for main gates usage. CM personal admission is only blocked out tomorrow for magic kingdom and the weekend for Hollywood Studios. Last years 24 hour event was the first in a long time that personal admission was blacked out.

I'm almost considering using one tomorrow. I always have a ton left over and I have a friend in town visiting.

They were running occasional soft openings for cast members and guests yesterday. We didn't luck by and I didn't want to leave my friend behind.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
We shut the park down. Rolled in about 9 when wishes was going.

Met Stromboli, facilier, cruela, lotso, big bad wolf, tinkerbell, malificent, and snow queen. Also knocked out enchanted tales with belle (me and my roommate both got suits of armor), mine train (friend's last day of her first visit in two years, great timing). Hall of pres, mansion, dumbo, TTA. All in all a pretty productive night. We had fun.

Now to pass out until five when I have to take her to the airport.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Got to ride every ride in Fantasyland today while getting paid. Pixie dust is straight pouring out my ears.

Up until recently I had only seen the Hall of Presidents on the clock for my Adventureland/Liberty Square training.

Those were the best training days ever. We also used to ride Pirates all the time for a "Show and Animation check".

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

Cool cool. In a way, that makes my life a lot easier (too many decisions). On the other hand, anyone have budget ideas when eating out on a Disney vacay? I really dig the concept of an all inclusive type affair which is why I was mostly interested in the Dining Plan. But in the end I guess it'd be cheaper paying a la carte for our needs anyways.

With the Memory Maker, does anyone know if one order would cover our entire party of 11 even if we're not together? We plan on splitting up on occasion so it would stink for some people to have to miss out on shots. Maybe each "mini family" in our crew would need to purchase their own, I don't know. It would be so much nicer if we could all just pitch in and use the one though.

Cool cool. In a way, that makes my life a lot easier (too many decisions). On the other hand, anyone have budget ideas when eating out on a Disney vacay? I really dig the concept of an all inclusive type affair which is why I was mostly interested in the Dining Plan. But in the end I guess it'd be cheaper paying a la carte for our needs anyways.

With the Memory Maker, does anyone know if one order would cover our entire party of 11 even if we're not together? We plan on splitting up on occasion so it would stink for some people to have to miss out on shots. Maybe each "mini family" in our crew would need to purchase their own, I don't know. It would be so much nicer if we could all just pitch in and use the one though.

]as long as every linked as friends and family it'll work. One person will be designated the memory maker who will be in charge of downloading all of the photos. Linking up is kind of tricky - you have the guests with accounts, a checkbox to view photos, and managed guests that have to be friended through their owners. If you just use regular PhotoPass cards, then you can just claim them in the one account and you're good to go.

Basically you just need to get all of the photos into the memory maker account but then you'll be set.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Actually the main reason they are doing it as a hard ticket event this year is so the park doesn't fill to capacity, which happened last year and holy hell they were not expecting it.

And more money isn't something Disney is going to turn it's nose at.
My office is over in studios and I went out and checked the villains event out last year.

Absolutely a clusterfuck. I'm not sad they're closing it off this year because they had way too many people.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you're in the park in September I wanna meet up with you in Pirates just so I can take endless flash photograph and you can scowl deeply and seriously.

We weren't allowed to use the PA to spiel about flash pictures over the ride, so when we were doing a ride through and you got to tell people off it was always satisfying.

Or waiting to pull a boat.

It always sucked when some moron set off a flash in your face trying to run one of the load consoles.

It never happened when I worked the pirate ride but a couple people had stories about having to call Reedy Creek when some poor epileptic folks had an episode caused by someone taking pictures.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Quixotic1 posted:

Looks like I'm going back to the World for the Villains Unleashed event but this time I'm going to stay at an on-site hotel, would have been a god send for the 24hr event. If I'm already a magic band annual passholder are they going to send me another magic band for the hotel key?

They will but really, your MagicBand just links to your MDX account. As long as you've claimed your resort reservation you can use any MagicBand you have active and linked to you to get into your room.

Hell I can use my Memory Maker card to redeem fastpasses if I want to.

Speaking of which, I picked up one of the Darth Vader MagicBands the other day. So long orange band, you've been replaced.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
September is a glorious time. It is when the cast members return to the parks as all the lines are gone.

I have a picture of Soarin with a 5 minute wait. I love September.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yup! I dunno if Diagon Alley will have calmed down by then, but wait times are pretty low across the board.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

nbakyfan posted:

I just got a professional internship for the fall at Disney world! Any tips for interns from those who have done the program before? I will be with the mechanical ride department and living in falcon square. Thanks in advance!

Congrats! I did mine fall 2012-13 probably across the street. I lived in falcon - it's not bad but it's not really near anything and the second I had a chance to bail on the lease I did. We pay less for a 4 bedroom house than me and my roommate did for one room at falcon so that's probably the worst part.

Those PIs are hard to land and they vary so much. I was the intern for the Traditions team and at one point was the only coordinator for trad in the company - I ended up with a lot of responsibilities that weren't normally trusted to an intern and I still cover shifts occasionally a year later since they loved me.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
When I was a MK cp only the A bus went to MK and you had to fight over it.

Back then they used American Coach but now they use transtar. Same lovely service and American coach works over at universal now which is almost poetic.

I lived in Vista Way but I gladly drove my rear end from California for my second program to avoid the buses.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Instant termination, usually.

They're pretty crazy about that poo poo.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tunga posted:

What's the difference between Memory Maker and PhotoPass Archive?

Edit: It's cool, figured this out. MM includes ride photos. And costs less. So, umm, yeah.

If you prepurchase, the Disney PhotoPass Archive disc costs 119. Memory maker, without the prepurchase, costs 200.

Basically, the DPAD comes as a download or a physical DVD with every photo taken by PhotoPass photographers in the parks with the characters and iconic locations.

Memory Maker comes as a digital download only and comes with all of the same photos, but you get ride and dining photos as well. If you have a MagicBand and memory maker, you don't even have to add the ride photos yourself it's done automatically through long range read. If you want a DVD, you pay 29.95 for the Memory maker archive disc.

In both cases, you get all the rights to print and make copies of your photos.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tunga posted:

Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured out but good to get confirmation. For Memory Maker, will it automatically add ride photos for everyone in my party? That's mostly what I want it for but there's six of us so we might split up at times.

The person with memory maker will see the ride photos attached to their band, the bands of any of their managed guests, and the bands of anyone friend and family linked that has shared photos with you. It only gets tricky when people you're linked with have their managed guests, you have to friend through that friend. It sounds complicated but as long as things aren't set up complicated it's pretty straightforward.

I had a family with 32 magic bands and 26 my Disney experience accounts. That one took a little while longer to track down all of the photos heh.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

nbakyfan posted:

Can these discounts be used in conjunction with Disney employee discounts?

Usually they're one or the other.

Yeah as I remember the butterfly garden fiasco was a contractor struck a water main and turned the Innoventions area into a sinkhole nearly. They're working to get that fixed.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I'll have to watch it later. I used to be a traditions coordinator here and have actually facilitated a couple of the classes.

I found the old power points and CDs that someone had ripped from VHS. They were some great hokey old videos. I'll have to send that link to my old managers heh.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I'm heading over Wednesday to probably ride but I've got some rerides. Apparently they posted a 60 minute wait the other day.

It definitely hasn't been the juggernaut they expected. I just hope we don't get stuck at the drop again. It was awful.

[Halloween Horror Nights just announced an Aliens versus Predator house. I'm getting excited for this year]

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Guest relations still brings them by the attraction eventually. Same with positives sent to guest.services@disneyworld.com. They'll eventually make it back to the area though it could take some time.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Nametags have cities too, which always help.

Especially for attractions, about where they were at helps too. They can pull up everyone who was at greeter that day fairly easily and bam.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The Constantine meet is um. Well. I wish I was going just for that.

I got to meet Barbossa the other day when he was meeting at the legend of captain jack sparrow. He'll be at the party too, along with folks like Gantu and oogie boogie. With it being a hard ticket event it hopefully shouldn't be too crazy.

If anyone is driving, they're closing the satellite entrance (the one coming from the rest of property with only two lanes) at about 3 or so.

I was working until 715 but got switched to the 11 pm shift so I'll be answering guest emails instead of meeting villains with you all. Maybe I'll sneak out to watch the fireworks.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Every time I post on the DISBoards, I expect a pm waiting for me the next time I log in letting me know I've been probated for sarcasm again.

It's a pretty awful place.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I usually budget myself an hour, mentally. Yeah, I'm usually earlier than I need to be but I'm not normally surprised.

That's taking Disney transport though. Driving you can probably shave some time off of that.

I was at the last idol show. Remind me to never trust a fastpass+ cm to make my fastpasses. He booked me one GMR instead of idol, and the system is set up so I had to use the GMR one to book an idol one. Can't use the app to book my fastpasses until they figure out how to let cms do so.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The parks are so dead. I did pretty much all of MK in about six hours.

BBS, your coord was trying to send me to storybook circus when I asked if you were around hah.

I'm sad to see Maelstrom go but it was truly "so bad it's good". It was hokey and lame and I loved every second of it, but its time had come. The downtown is well over a year - not supposed to reopen until 2016 which leads me to believe they're not just going to slap Olaf on top of a polar bear and call it a day.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Adults can wear costumes for not so scary - it's the one time a year they can. MK only closes at 7 on not so scary nights. I do love the Halloween party but this is my third year going and it's pretty much only because I got a free ticket.

Halloween horror nights on the other hand is kind of my Christmas. I'm going to the team member preview tomorrow night courtesy of my roommate and last year I made it out to about 11 nights.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Crazyweasel posted:

So me and the fiancé are headed down next week, but looks like most days are 50/50 for Tstorms...do they start shutting down certain rides? Rain is no issue but I'd hate to not be able to go on Splash Mountain 10 times....

Florida thunderstorms also last like 30 minutes so they won't affect too much.

I went to the food and wine preview today but I just had one stop - Singapore. The lemongrass curry chicken was excellent.

Put me down for vanilla,pineapple swirl. It's the superior choice.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tunga posted:

I rode this two weeks ago, it's still there.

For three more days at least.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I stopped a tour group from blasting past us at Splash a week or two ago. They had about two group of 30 and they were trying to push past everyone to meet up. We stood our ground after the first 2 got by and they ended up giving up eventually. I did call one of them out for calling me puto.

I never had to deal with them much in the parks, but Brazil's postal service is a black hole from which nothing is ever delivered.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I'm off in 30 and heading to Epcot for one last ride back, back, over the falls. :(

I witnessed a kid pee into bushes waiting in line for the candlelight professional one year. Also, I had a friend who was an MK custodian and it turns out people poo poo on the sidewalks in Frontierland more often than you'd think.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Silly Burrito posted:

Well that stinks, but it's predictable.

The Game central station is becoming the beymax and (hiro?) character greeting experience. Outside Anna and Elsa doing their first appearance in the animation courtyard extended queue and olaf in the drawing class, the guest animation building has been relatively frozen free.

Not that I mind frozen at all. Bring it all on.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I used to work the pirate ride, a lot of good friends are pirates still and that sounded completely full of poo poo to them.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Good riddance. The Earful Tower restored to its rightful spot as the Icon.

Alas, the legend of captain jack sparrow is on its way out too.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I had my first lapu lapu about two weeks ago when we went to ohana. It was fantastic.

My magic band is shipping but I'll probably use my Vader one. I've already booked toy story after work the last two days. This is probably why they didn't let us book fastpasses until now instead of in March 2013 like initially planned :D.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

JoshTheStampede posted:

There's no argument, butterbeer is better cold than frozen. :colbert:

You mean it's better frozen right? Frozen butterbeer is the only drinkable kind.

Of courses, butterbeer ice cream improves on the original in every way.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tunga posted:

It's just you. Awkward dancing Ariel is actually the best thing.

This is the drat truth haha.

I met Hiro and Baymax today. It was about an hour wait. I expect thatll jump a bit once the movie is out.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

demonR6 posted:

It's another 7pm night but it's still kinda slow. Walked on Buzz with a 10 minute queue. Also progress on hub looks good. Will post a panoramic later. Guess you are off today?

25 minutes for Mine Train, walked into BOG for lunch. Delicious.

Hahaha FML we are standing in line for a dole whip. Lady walks up and asks "is this the line for Peter Pan?"

Yes! Line starts around the corner. Holy crap.

xxxxxx

Trip report. Was anyone aware of the new Magic Bands? How about all the images taken of you at the various rides are uploaded to your Disney Photo pass site via the Magic Bands without you even having to do a single thing? We got home and my wife checked the site for a picture we took on the way out at one of the photographers and she discovered every ride we went on our pictures were there. Mine Train even has a freaking video with us in it taken during the ride! That is all fine and good but holy poo poo they are now able to pinpoint what car we are riding and use that to take random pics or video images like we had during the MT.

Haha yeah we started doing that last year, testing at least.

Those were some hard days of work. Paid to ride rides all day.

Essentially the camera system scans the MagicBands when the photo is taken and throws it on there for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Unless you use the tried and true "look for the team member that looks like they don't give a poo poo method" which worked for me back in 2011. Got the Florida rate when I was on my college program even though I still had a California ID.

They may have since begun enforcing that more.