Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

OatmealRaisin posted:

...get over their dumb hubris and let third parties develop games for some of their franchises in the interest of actually getting some poo poo out there. Thread over.

I dunno man. I played other M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Midee posted:

Not really? The last game I bought was SM3DL in November 2011. So a year and nine months, give or take a few days. Better?

It feels like two years.

Well buckle up, a poo poo ton of excellent games have come out for 3DS and more are in the pipeline. Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing are pretty excellent titles.

Or did you not buy games for some reason other reason?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'm now really curious to how Wind Waker HD will do. Because while it is Zelda, it's also a re-release of a 10 year old game. Not even the die hard Nintendo guys seem to be able to keep anything on the system afloat.

Nintendo hasn't had anything preform this badly since the 64 DD.

How well did the ocarina rerelease do?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

They won sales. That's hardly the only determining factor in who "won" the current console war.

Wii sold the most and made the most money but did it win the hearts and minds of the people?

Seriously, this is moving goalposts.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Do we have any actual numbers on this? Cause as far as I know this isn't true. Software sales for Nintendo were actually pretty awful in comparison. This is why Nintendo was banking on bringing in the hardcore crowd with the Wii U. Their core audience on the Wii, for all intents and purposes was totally useless to Nintendo. Lots of them, but they weren't buying software in the numbers Nintendo wanted.

I definitely saw an article with more recent numbers but I'm at work so its hard for me to find it. This is the next best thing but a bit outdated.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/01/24/wii-tie-ratio-at-81-in-december

If I get a chance, I'll look for the more recent article. It talked about wii's attach rate that suddenly dropped off in the last years of the consoles life.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Well that for sure goes against everything i've heard. That seems like a pretty impressive number, and the drop off at the end of the consoles life is not unexpected. Wouldn't hold that against the Wii, just a fact of a new console coming out. It'll happen to the 360 and PS3 as well.

Yeah, I know its a bit :tinfoil: but theres a lot of misinformation about the Wii as a brand and nintendo. In fact Emily Rogers wrote a whole article about how one of the major issues with nintendo right now is they have been fighting bad press.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Is "Oh, that's the thing that I play Wii Sports/Wii Fit on, does it still do that, good, okay then why would I buy that weird tablet accessory" somehow better?

We were talking about who won the last generation of consoles though? I get that the Wii was the least appealing console to the hardcore gamer but it did have an 8:1 attach rate for a significant period of time.

E: Eh I'll edit this bit out. It made me sound like a console warrior.

Anyone who thinks the Wii didn't win is just as delusional as anyone who thinks the Wii U is doing fine.

Also that Gamasutra article was the one I was looking for earlier. It tells us basically what we've already known: The Wii was lightning in a bottle that sold a ton of systems and games and then everyone forgot about it during the last year of its life. The article is actually much better at showing the comeback sony made than the failings of the Wii. There was some data somewhere (again, I'm at work) that compared the 1st and 3rd party attach rate for the wii and the 3rd party rate was worse as well.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Lack of digital download titles for the DS? Once you bought Monster Hunter/Animal Crossing it's all over for you?

That rate will change. A new zelda is coming out for the 3DS :v:

Although don't handheld Zeldas do generally worse than console Zeldas? Or am I just imagining this because I never buy handheld Zeldas.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

AdmiralViscen posted:

3DS sales are pretty stagnant dude.

This is factual incorrect.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah I think some of you just don't like Zelda games frankly. SS was a weak Zelda, but it was still a pretty good game.

E: I know how to save the Zelda Franchise! I will make it a completely different game!

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 9, 2013

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

sethsez posted:

So how many Zelda games does someone have to like before it's accepted that they actually like the series? And why is it seemingly accepted wisdom now that the dungeons were always the best and only reason to play the games?

4, and obviously in the Zelda fan website.

Saying "I wish Zelda was less about dungeons and more about (other gameplay thing)" is a legit criticism of SS that I'm not trying to downplay. What I'm saying is "You know what would make zelda better? If I played a different game" doesn't really mean anything. Everybody is acting like the franchise is dead and its 100% not dead.

Also team ICO would make the most majestic artistic Zelda ever and now I want it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

This is like saying if people don't like Other M then they don't like Metroid. SS was a bad game - unreliable controls, lovely dungeon items, a sidekick even MORE annoying than Navi, an overworld that made Wind Waker's ocean packed with content by comparison, recycled dungeons and bosses, and a villian even dumber than Zant from TP.

Well think about it this way:

If Other M was not part of a franchise with a long history would it still be a bad game? Yes. lovely gameplay, terrible main character who apparently is fine fighting the big bad once but the third time she does she shits herself, THE BABY and so on.

If Skyward Sword was not part of a franchise with a long history would it still be a bad game? I'd argue no. If it wasn't compared to everyones favorite Zelda, it would have been a solid B+. Since some people can't figure out waggle technology, it had more odds stacked against it.

I'm probably in the minority of people who played SS, but I don't think it was that bad of a game. It was a decent game, but there are better games in the franchise.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

I'd still argue yes. All of the problems I listed with SS would still exist even if you slapped another skin over the Zelda one.

Fi was terrible, and the sky was empty as poo poo.
I'm a huge weirdo and I really enjoyed retracing old zones to find new stuff. Also I had zero issues with the waggle.

The villian wasn't THAT bad. The final reveal about him being a sword like Fi was cool.

Not every game is for everybody v:shobon:v

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

"I should've got you last time, and i'd LOVE to get you this time, but i'll get you neeeext tiiiiiiiiiime!" - Ghirahim

Hey at least he was openly a weirdo. Zant was all ominous and scary until you actually fight him.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

When Wii U party gets released they should bundle it with the system, and include the Free trials of Wii sports HD and Fit pre installed. That would be a real attractive system for a casual consumer I think.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Who are you trying to kid? No amount of dumb fitness games or mini-game compilations is going to attract casual gamers to the WiiU. They don't even know it EXISTS, and even if they did, why would they spend 300 dollars minimum on something that's going to collect just as much dust as their Wii?

They would buy the newest Wii Sports/Fit/Party for the the same reason people buy remakes and sequels? Its really not that complicated.

All Nintendo has to do is advertise it, which seems to be their biggest issue.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Smash I would care about, but everyone I've ever enjoyed playing the series with has grown up, moved far away, and moved on with their lives.

Do your friends not have internet because :siren:your friends are losers:siren:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nintendo actually released -3 IPs sorry guys

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm not framing it as business sense, I'm framing it as I've played thousands of games and this is my opinion on this single game.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

quote:

PROBATION 05/20/13 10:24am The Taint Reaper You are bad at posting. User loses posting privileges for 1 day. Louisgod Debbie Metallica

Friendly reminder that you are still a bad poster

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Guess what, consoles are still dumb and the Wii U is still dead. But Iwata has tried cementing himself in as well as he could despite delivering terrible results.

lollin at your trollin

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

So what? Doesn't make the Wii U a more reasonable product.

whats a reasonable product im curious about this

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I need to know what Man-With-Dead-or-Alive-3 Avatar has to say about reasonable products

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Says the dude still owning a children's toy.

Ahahaha literally laughed out loud at my place of work

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Well, I didn't buy a Wii U at least?

:iceburn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=140S4LkQxxA
:iceburn:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Still haven't defined what a reasonable product is, and I am waiting with baited breath.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

It's certainly not the Wii U, that much we already know.

Uh actually it is moron

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

This thread seems like it's on a train to Vertiform city!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Sounds like a night well spent to me.

Heh just playing World of Warcraft with :siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: and then we are totally going to HAVE SEX Heh scrubbs get owned noobs Mario Kart is the least fun

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

I get it, you guys are angry because the Wii U is such a huge flop. But let's be realistic: Nintendo isn't going to save this one.

And if their management doesn't improve and they continue burning this much money every year, they won't be around for decades to come either.

Douglas is your fame because you are remarkably dumb?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dead or Alive 3 was poo poo

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

We both know you can't possibly mean this.

Yeah its loving terrible and im not even loving with you its horrifically bad

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

I'll stop posting when the Wii U turns out a success. So, likely never.

Dare you to :toxx: for the wii U being a success

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If he doesn't :toxx: for the wii u being a success then that means he thinks the wii u is a success.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Let's do this poo poo. If the Wii U makes more money than it cost Nintendo by the end of 2015, then ban my account. I don't care how you count it (development expenses vs. sales for first-party titles being included or not), as long as they recover from the horrible losses they've been seeing as part of Wii U.

Is that a fair :toxx:? I want to make sure it's fair for everybody, and make it so I don't have any opportunities to move the goalposts.

Lol ok but you gotta include game sales, The Wii U is being sold at a loss.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh thats less fun

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

metal gear soiled

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Did famous doofus :toxx: yet or is he a big smelly baby?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Glad I didnt miss any bombass charts

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Hope to get some Waluigi amiibos up in this piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Andale amiibos! arriba! arriba!

• Locked thread