Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Astro7x posted:

I guess it all depends on how much you game. People say the Wii U has no games, but I have a backlog of Wii U games believe it not that I haven't had time for yet.

I just picked up a Wii-U about two weeks ago and this has been my feelings so far. I picked up Mario 3D Land and Monster Hunter Tri, and then Mario+Luigi Bros came with it. Not to mention I didn't play any Wii games except Mario Kart so I have an entire generation of games left to play as well. Never going to get completely caught up before new games I want come out for it.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The Wii U launch had a ton of games but no killer app in the first six months. It took a year for that killer app to release.

I feel like this was a really good post to sum up the situation. I really, really like my Wii U so far, and am glad that Nintendo has finally taken a trip to the HD generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Astro Nut posted:

The really useful thing with the dual screens is that it allows you to worry less about streamlining the UI. Any of the extras that would clutter up the screen in a normal game? Can be put on the other screen, which also enables players to readily reference stuff like maps or their inventory without having to pause the game continually.

I believe this to be the truth, and by and large, what it is actually used for.

RStar posted:

Then we all bought the system and found out it got old. Fast.

And lets not forget how janky motion controls were before the Wii Motion Plus thing. I could not stand using the Wii because every game had to have a motion attachment to the game, and a lot of the time it worked well poorly. The reason I bought the Wii U was to play the backlog of decent non-motion control Wii games and because this promises to be a much less motion-control focused console.

edit: proofreading

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 12, 2013

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

NeilPerry posted:

What I don't understand is why they've not increased the level of touch screen technology for the 3DS. I would have really preferred a PSvita style screen for a lower screen, but with a stylus for some games. It seems like it'd allow for a wider range of utilisations.

What feature of the PSVita Touch Screen do you want on it? If I'm not mistaken, Touch Screens that allow for finger interaction are different (possibly mutually exclusive?) screen types entirely from stylus interactive screens. I, by no means, am an expert.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Dual screens on the DS is genius. loving genius. I know people like to bark about how it's just maps or menus but the less time you spend pausing your game, the more time you spend enjoying your game.

This cannot be emphasized enough -- it really is an innovation that seems like it doesn't do much but the end result is definitely an improvement.

Also, I really enjoy 3D and am in the minority of people who use it often. I will not stand for claims that it is gimmicky it is :colbert:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

flyboi posted:

Personally I think the touch screen is a great fit for DS/3DS however it's kind of obnoxious on the Wii U. Without that kind of touch screen you wouldn't have great games like in the past such as Brain Age, Meteos or Kirby Canvas Curse as your finger would get in the way or increased frustration due to the inaccuracy with a capacitive touch screen.

Yes, capacitive touch screens work but take a moment to try and draw some art like you see on Miiverse and then offer your criticism.

I disagree with your sentiments on the Wii U touch screen, specifically because of the Miiverse art I've seen. Some of it is outrageously good and justifies an add on that I rarely use. For what its worth, the gamepad is really comfortable to use, though I rarely use it unless someone is gonna watch TV. I will say I was really frustrated with the Mario 3D level that required the use of the touch controls of the pad while simultaneously playing the game -- that was unbelievably unwieldy and poorly executed.

Oh, and the Wii U Gamepad Pro? What the hell Nintendo? You already had a perfectly laid out Classic Control how the hell do you mess up your new pro controller?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Edmund Honda posted:

That's your justification for the GamePad's entire existence? I'm not sure I follow.

That's basically the jist of it -- I've spent a lot of time just browsing through the Miiverse posts looking at cool art. I think if it wasn't included with the console, then there might not be that aspect at all, much like the Ubisoft Draw Pad, it probably would've died. I'm sure it adds relatively little to the actual price that consumers pay for the finished product, perhaps it may have cut into hardware budget.

I enjoy using the stylus but I can see why multi-touch would be better for games on the Gamepad.

Edit: I had read somewhere that LBW runs better in 3D than most games because they had aimed for 60fps instead of 30fps.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 12, 2013

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I think this is a matter of taste. I vastly prefer the Wii U pro controller to the Wii one.

This is the case, its just frustrating that they swap the positions of the buttons and the analog sticks, especially considering every other console since the N64 has used a similar layout, including their own previous classic controller.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Edmund Honda posted:

Around $80 of the manufacturing cost (slightly more than 1/3 of the total) is the GamePad alone, plus however much r&d time and money went on it. Plus the extra time and therefore money in game/app development.

It is the defining feature of the console and if the best you've seen out of it is some art on Miiverse it kinda sounds like a failure.

That is more than I would have thought, yeesh.

Its not the only thing that's come out of it, as I said, I've used it to play games while myself or the wife watches TV (because I am riddled with ADHD), so it by no means is wasted, but I can see where someone without other people living with them might never even pick it up out of the cradle. I'll meet in the middle and say it would have made a better accessory than mandatory peripheral, but all things considered I'm not upset that it increased the price of the console and have had fun using it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I know it doesn't do much for the value of Wiis or for the Wii U's sales numbers, but for what its worth, I'm pretty glad it has it. It's given me an opportunity to play an entire generation of games I missed out on. Playing Xenoblade right now, and looking forward to trying out the Metroid 3-Pack that I also found.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 12, 2013

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I think the Dreamcast comparison may be more apt than anyone thinks because that controller also had a display on it.

Maybe I'm just curling up in my denial, but I am sure the Wii U will become more competitive and popular with time. Is Nintendo making a profit on the hardware sales? I know Sony/Microsoft are taking a loss on theirs.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
What is the games for profit on the other consoles currently? Or is it less consistent because they aren't developing/publishing their own games?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Zack_Gochuck posted:

This is what is was like to be a Nintendo fan in 1998.

What a coincidence, that is the last time I was a Nintendo fan before buying the Wii U.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Barudak posted:

I would so highly doubt that Persona 5 goes to the WiiU its almost laughable.

I could see this possibly happening, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Is Nintendo still operating on the "one game a year per company" policy from back in the days of trying to stop shovelware on the NES or something? Why is there trouble getting developers to make games on the system (other than EA's "its garbage for babbys and is awful" statements)?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Equilibrium posted:

The Wii U port of AC4 is so bad I don't understand how something like that can be allowed to release to market. If your game is running at 20-24 fps consistently it might as well be unplayable.

edit: Ubisoft made AC4, so this post no longer applies, but some interesting reading anyway.

Apparently EA got really pissed off when Nintendo wouldn't allow them to take control of the Nintendo EShop and the Multiplayer Gaming Network (trigger warning, reddit) they intended to make and just shoveled the ports onto the Wii U as quickly / cheaply as possibly with no concerns for how playable it is. Then, they said they will not be releasing further things for the console, after dragging its performance and specs through the mud, shouting about how terrible it is to develop for, etc. Found a post on Gamefaqs by someone with "connections"

They wanted to integrate all of Origin with it, I guess. Not exactly a trustworthy site but it is interesting. Kinda proud of Nintendo for having the balls to say no to EA.

edit: None of this applies because ACIV is a title made by Ubisoft!

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 13, 2013

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

PrBacterio posted:

But Assassin's Creed is made (and published) by Ubisoft, not EA?

My mistake, I am an idiot. Sorry!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

midge posted:

I just cancelled my PS4 pre-order and bought a WiiU. Super Mario 3D World totally sold me on the system. I also wanted to play Monster Hunter, Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3.

That's 3 more games than what I want to play on PS4 right now. Resogun isn't reason enough for me to put down $400 right now.

This was actually my thought process as well when I bought my Wii-U instead of fighting to get a PS4 this year. In addition to Bayo 2 coming out, the virtual console for the WiiU and the Wii virtual console as well, and there's a new DKC the wife and I can play together. Super Mario 3D LandWorld is a blast and the joy I've had playing that game with friends is probably the most fun I've had playing a game in a long time.

I'm actually really under-served by the current next gen release calendars for Xbone/PS4. There's more coming out on PS3 that I care about than on PS4.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 13, 2013

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Spiffo posted:

Wait, do you get access to the original Wii virtual console from the WiiU?

Yes, through a Wii virtual console, so its a virtual console within a virtual console. You have to use the Wiimote with Nunchuck or Classic Controller. I'd like to see them add support for the Gamepad Pro in the future.

I'm a really big fan of the Nintendo Play rewards that you can redeem for physical items or games, by the way. They could easily revamp it to be similar to the PS+ free games for subscribers mechanic.

e;fb

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 13, 2013

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Or 200 Club Nintendo coins that cost about $100 to accumulate.

There is so much potential for this as a rewards program that they could be tapping into, if they would deflate the dollars per point ratio and maybe make better releases available on a larger stage, maybe with quicker rotation to make it something you check every so often.

Also, WiiU finally got an actual digital purchase tracker now, so if you have to get a console repaired you can get your purchases back, with certainty. I've heard a lot of people question buying games on the 3DS market because of 'what if I lose my 3DS' which is a very reasonable question.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Boiled Water posted:

To add insult to injury it wasn't even that utilized since any game that came out for both the 360 and ps3 ad to fit on a dvd.

It also begs the question: Why not use SD cards or something similar? Install from Internet or USB drive seems reasonable and you don't have to pay sony fat stacks for putting an optical reader in the console.

This is something I've been kind of surprised about -- I would have thought that the days of buying optical media for consoles were very numbered and that more consoles would move towards this kind of system. End of the day, though, the upfront cost of a disk drive versus larger capacity drives probably will keep things like this for a while. I'm assuming that its an exponetial increase in cost for storage space on consoles, which may be incorrect.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone who thinks this doesn't live in one of the many, many, many places where internet is heavily capped or incredibly slow. There are places where downloading a single PS4 game would use up most of your internet cap for the month. We're still really far away from an era where optical media is going away entirely, at least until infrastructure improves in the biggest markets.

Going to go ahead and admit that I do not even consider slow internet or bandwidth caps. Its easy to forget that some places aren't as lucky as I am with internet service.

Edmund Honda posted:

The 500gb drive the PS4/Xbone use is around $35, anything bigger than 1TB is where it starts getting unreasonably expensive right now.

It would have cost Nintendo very little extra to go with a 500gb SATA drive over the 32GB of flash in the Wii U. Probably would've blown their power allowance though.

Oh wow. Thanks for this info.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I really really want the Wii U to be successful. It's a drat shame things aren't turning around for Nintendo, because after not owning / playing a console owned by Nintendo since the N-64, I'm actually really excited and really really like my Wii-U. Maybe it will make some great sales through the summer of this year and pick up traction.

It does have a lot more exciting exclusives than either XBone / PS4, but the multi-plats it is missing out on are a drat shame.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
You know, for a thread mostly about what a poor job Nintendo did on this console, its one of the least terrible threads in games, with a mostly civilized discussion.

Would it be OK if we talked a little bit about some of the games..? I'm really loving Mario 3D World, and I will probably play through it from the beginning again after beating it because its really fun and good. Am I right in assuming the World after Flower World requires every collectible from before that point?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
My mistake, I had assumed it was both inside of one thread, but that Fire and Brimstone was more entertaining. Carry on.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
January is going to be interesting and I am sure there will be a lot of surprises, hopefully. Otherwise I think its going to be a slow year for everybody who is hoping for games -- not just Wii U owners.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Also Super Mario 3D world is literally the best Mario game to date and GOTY 2013

It is legitimately a really awesome game and is more like Mario 64 (and by extension Mario Galaxy, as I understand it) than it is like 3D Land, which is more like NSMB-U. Sorry to echo into the chamber, but I feel like it warrants repeating.

I'm glad to see some of the numbers improved, but there is a long way to go. I believe you could describe the future of the system as "Cautious Optimism".

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

- Metroid
- Fire Emblem

For what it is worth, SMT vs Fire Emblem was actually announced and should be a thing. Also, perhaps it would be better if Metroid was left alone for a little while.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Taint Reaper posted:

They tried ripping off Monster Rancher but forgot the actual gameplay involved. I'm pretty sure that game only existed to see if people would buy something just for rare event pokemon.

Bring back Monster Rancher and its disc based Monster spawner. What happened to that franchise? I miss it so...

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Why would a grown adult be playing Smash Brothersvideo games.

Barons, this is a really good point.

That aside, my friends and I will probably play it drunkenly for nostalgia, socially. It certainly won't be a system seller except to the kids who already own a Wii U.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

TheScott2K posted:

Holy poo poo did they really put the right stick there?

I have made the complaint that the Wii Classic Controller has the stick in a classic position and is what most people are accustomed to many times, and most often I am met with the, "well I like it" reply. I still stand by the fact that they had a perfectly good format and went and switched it for not discernable reason (except maybe copyrights?).

The Wii U Gamepad Pro has the sticks in a bad position, but, once you're using it you hardly notice in my experience. My complaint is mostly the lack of controller configuration in games, and the lack of utilization (Mario 3D World).

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

deadwing posted:

I was just playing SM3DW multiplayer with the Pro Controller last night :confused:

It works, but I really would've liked to set what keys do what, and use more than half of the actual buttons. The controls are always assuming two button controls, with a third auxiliary (shake / R). I really want run / fire / grab to be seperate buttons.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

I love how this list of games Nintendo needs to put out to save the WiiU comes up all the time, and each time it gets smaller, and as stuff gets released that is on the list and does poorly, people switch it out for another old franchise of theirs.

At this point, I just hope all the cool fun exclusives come out and exist so that I can own them, and in 10 years, look at my WiiU fondly and say "that was a good fun system with good fun games, I'm glad I gave up buying these toys after this one".

I imagine its kinda what Dreamcast fanboys feel, except with games involved.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sakurazuka posted:

What the whole two decent RPG's that came out of it in the last year of its life?

If you'll allow me to indulge in hyperbole, this is a greater number than the 360.

Honestly, if you want RPGs, the Wii-U might be a good bet, but thus far its been great for those of us who skipped Wii, and want to play some retro games, or the new versions of Nintendo's old IPs. PS3 is getting and does have some good RPGs, even without PS2 support.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

That loving Sned posted:

Is the Wii U really getting that many RPGs? X looks cool, but the PS3 is still getting some new ones, including Persona 5. They tend to go where the most market share is, which is handhelds, such as SMT4 and Bravely Default on the 3DS.

Yeah, X is about the only one announced, that was what I was saying -- about the PS3. The 3DS is a great RPG Console right now, I play mine a ridiculous amount for this reason.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Quest For Glory II posted:

And ultimately what console you pick does come down to the exclusives, IN ADDITION TO the expectation of all the third party software. Which the Wii U lacks. But in terms of.. do you want to choose Halo 15, Uncharted 15, or Mario 15, then we're on relatively equal footing there. Like it or not that's our future. (buy a pc)

Re: Buying a PC instead of a console.

The entire reason I haven't purchased an PS4 or XBone (especially an XBone, as I'm sure a lot of their exclusives will be released on PC as well), is because there has yet to be a game announced for either that I don't think will be ported to PC, or that I want so bad that I must have the system in order to play it. I do not think I am alone in this, and this is probably an underrepresented part of the picture.

I did, however, purchase a Wii U, because I know that most if not all, of the games for it will not be ported to the system I own and use everyday. There is no reason to purchase the PS4/XBone if you have a PC with a Capture Card, or just a decent PC with a TV and controller.

I may be a fringe case, however, because I haven't really heard anything announced on the next gen Consumer Entertainment Devicesİ that I'm particularly interested in. I'm sure for fans of Shooters or Racers, this is an entirely different situation, and perhaps the large share of the market that are fans of these games and how Nintendo has mostly ignored them is the reason is has fallen behind. But if that is the reason, I think its probably OK and will recover.

tl;dr: First Party Titles may lead to Nintendo's success as PS4/XBone games, especially AAA and non-exclusives, will probably be on PC. I could be wrong, I'm honestly just spitballing.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Taint Reaper posted:

Because Endless Ocean started on the playstation as Everblue.

Xenoblade started as Xenosaga/Xenogears if you want to get down to it.

Bayo 2 should probably be on that list because its a Nintendo IP now, isn't it?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Possibly naive questions:

Why is HD development so expensive? Is it inherently expensive or just the way the industry does things? And will it ever get cheaper?

Possible naive answer: Nintendo has never done it before, so they have to pay for staff that has experience in it, or training would be my guess. Otherwise? I can't think of any reason it'd be more expensive than SD at this point.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ZoMBiePiGGy posted:

I just saw the most confusing Wii U comercial yet. The whole time they talk about all the great features of Wii Fit U then at the end say, "Upgrade to Wii U for $299!" Then something about another thing you have to buy for 19! They really shouldn't use the word upgrade when people already think its the same console. It sounds just like an accessory.

Maybe that is their plan all along. They realized that most people who bought the Wii in the casual sector only did so for one or two games, and if they trick them into thinking its nothing but a replacement for the Wii, they will end up selling a bunch of the consoles! Its genius!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Kewpuh posted:

Sure. You see, what he is saying is that the Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

Would you say its the Citizen Kane of Adventure Gaming?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

greatn posted:

Just the way Donkey Kong is animated and his facial expressions, you can tell that if they didn't steal his bananas for him to get back, he'd just be bored and depressed like an animal in captivity.

Perhaps this is the message of the entire franchise, and we are truly the animals in captivity, bored and depressed without our bananas getting stolen (video games).

Makes you think.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
It's fun to watch, but I feel bad for the guy who's gotta deal with nonstop hate while he does this promotional thing for Nintendo. But I guess, no press is bad press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Barudak posted:

Its the 100 dollar Wii-Mini which has no ability to connect to the internet and has no gamecube ports. With this bad boy you can enjoy none of the virtual console or back compatibility leaving you only with the Wii's fine library of gaming.

Do they at least include Component Cables or an HDMI Out?

• Locked thread