Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Decius posted:

Eh, we had enough Doctor angsting around with Tennant already, and we all know that he will find some solution if it even comes up, because the BBC and we all want more Doctor Who.

Yeah but the same think happened in the new Star Trek movie with Kirk and plenty of people still found that compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CobiWann posted:

Hugh Laurie.

Aiden Gillen.

With Sophie Turner as the new companion. :getin:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Super.Jesus posted:

This implies that he could also go back and prevent the time war in the first place if he really wanted to, or that he could just go chill on Gallifrey a hundred years before he was born.

My understanding is that the time lock extends back to the beginning of Gallifrey's history, effectively making everything set in stone, except the exceedingly unclever timelord plots to escape their inevitable fate (Here let's just stand around in our portal until the Doctor figures out he can just shoot that crystal to shut us out.)

We know the Valeyard exists in the past though, so maybe that's an exception to the Time Lock rule (dudes can enter if they were already part of events but can't exit).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Elotana posted:

Season finales should be about more than explaining the obtuse references shoehorned into your regular episodes.

So, you didn't like Nine's season then?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Royal W posted:

9's run/ BADWOLF was one idea that was subtly laid throughout the season. It doesn't really compare to the 3-season long, convoluted, hooks-on-hooks, shenanigans that have been going on since Moff took over.

It was subtly laid but that's because it was an afterthought that seems to have been added in at the last minute.

"Oh Bad Wolf refers to the guys that own the broadcast tower that are really the Daleks but it's really Rose who absorbed Time Energy and something something energy monster".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lampsacus posted:

Everybody is wanting well known actors to play the 12th. Am I the only one who likes the idea of the Doctor's actor usually being some obscure guy who is a totally fresh face?!

No, but you might be the only one who knows who an obscure guy with a fresh face is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

If this is what people were bitching over a few pages back it seems harmless. It's just "The Doctor can use other people as inspiration for his next form if he so chooses".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Hey guys what do you think the chances are of seeing the Master in the Special? And he'd most definitely have to be a brand new actor wouldn't he, because the Doctor never recognized Jacobi..

I think it's more likely we'll see Davros.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The old boy has been MIA for awhile now, and lord knows he's survived worse than a spaceship exploding around him.

I don't really think he'll show up either, to be honest (it seems not-Bad Wolf will be an antagonist), just that The Master typically requires his own episode to be introduced and Davros at least was there during the correct time period and he hasn't shown up that much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hughesmar posted:

Has anything been revealed about how the 50th relates to the cliffhanger from this past season? Everything I've seen so far makes it seem like this is a standalone episode that's taking place outside of The Doctor's timestream.

11 meets up with 10 (or maybe the other way around) and for some reason they have to go back to the Time War to see War Doctor.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That seems to fit the spoilers at least.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bobkatt013 posted:

I love how people are saying its garbage just based off broad strokes. We have no idea how its going to play out.

People will say it's garbage as long as Moffat pens it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy A. Person posted:

Wait, I am super, super confused. He has a poor track record of having all of the enemies join forces, with the exception of the only episode in which that actually ever happened? In what other episode did he "reuse" that idea?

I guess there's also A Good Man Goes to War even though it's his allies he's gathering?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maera Sior posted:

I suppose I didn't word that quite as well as I could have. It's a problem that he has whenever a massive number of enemies show up and they are REALLY SERIOUS THIS TIME, LOOK HOW SERIOUS THEY ARE THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM. Off the top of my head: A Good Man Goes to War, The Wedding of River Song, The Angels Take Manhattan, and Nightmare in Silver (originally written by Gaiman, but obviously hosed over by Moffat).

Oh so you physically mean a large number of enemies, not a large variety. In that case, how is (e.g.) Bad Wolf, The End of Time, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords, etc any different?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maera Sior posted:

I'm talking about Moffat's problems with this trope. Some people can pull it off, some can't.

ETA: Some shows/writers I thought of that can pull this trope off: Babylon 5 (JMS), Deep Space Nine (Ron Moore).

I'm struggling to see how "Angels take Manhattan" is any more serious due to their large volume any more than Bad Wolf and the Dalek Emperor were.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CumFart Gurantee posted:

"Out of literally hundreds Star Trek episodes, of which, at least dozens are pretty bad, I'm going to dismiss this writer's entire body of work. Forever."

content: I've not watched hardly any Classic Who, but is the Time War a New Who creation? Did Moffat kinda sorta retcon it all away in the special?

The Time War as an event is an RTD creation and is meant to happen during the time that Doctor Who was off the air (although I think it technically started with Genesis of the Daleks?).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
e: move this to the other thread.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

notsowelp posted:

..Except for the part where it's a regeneration episode, and the end of one doctor's arc/beginning of another?

Although the last time we had one of those it wasn't that great either. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rita Repulsa posted:

Is anything known from any reputable sources about when Moffat's stepping off for the next showrunner, and who that might be?

Nope and Mark Gatiss if anyone at this point.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

moths posted:

That leak must be truer and worse than I thought to drag preemptive apologists out of the main thread. Do other spoiler threads get this pessimism shaming when a turd's on the horizon?

Other spoiler threads don't exist because the fan base are big babies who can't handle two months of preview news to "go in fresh".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy A. Person posted:

HAH! I just realized this is true; the only other spoiler thread that exists is for GoT and that's because of book readers who don't give a poo poo since they know the plot in advance.

There's also the Walking Dead thread and there was the Dexter and Breaking Bad ones. TWD is also an adapted property though and the BB one never had info that was earlier than 12 hours in advance or so (and I'm pretty sure the Dexter one solely existed because the train wreck of spoilers turned out to be true).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zaggitz posted:

Supernatural did this and it was loving awesome.

I can imagine this in my head and it's great.

I hope we don't have one of the main characters stabbed in an alleyway though. :ohdear:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bicyclops posted:

I could have used a Dalek break personally, but I suppose if you've been waiting your entire life to become the Doctor, you're going to want to battle his arch-nemesis!

Aside from the Christmas special have the Daleks been in an episode since Asylum?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PriorMarcus posted:

Isn't it the one with the return of the clockwork robots from GitFP?

Supposedly that's the first episode and this is the third episode.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

docbeard posted:

I'm gonna laugh so hard when the "amnesia storyline" lasts about ten minutes.

Just have the Doctor have a mild case of dementia so he has to describe something mundane because he forgot its name.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Can anyone at least confirm/deny the whole amnesia thing?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chairman Capone posted:

Reading the Wikipedia entry for the episode with three giant paragraphs about how well the episode was received by the media makes me wonder, was there any actual episode of the revival that wasn't given overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics? I mean, off the top of my head, I honestly feel like Fear Her was the only episode that didn't get universal praise from mainstream critics.

Based on IMDB ratings the lowest rated episodes of the revival are Fear Her, In the Forest of the Night, Love & Monsters, The Lazarus Experiment, Curse of the Black Spot, and Victory of the Daleks.

The lowest of those was a 6.4 on average, and the highest was a 6.9.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Action Jacktion posted:

"Fear Her" seems to be one of the few episodes that some superfans dislike, or maybe they think they're supposed to dislike it, in the same way some Pixar fans just have to hate Cars. It's the story everyone 'knows' is bad, as The Gunfighters used to be. So in a few years "Fear Her" might be reexamined and fans will decide it's actually good, and it'll be uncool to dislike it. Get ahead of the curve and start extolling its greatness now!

I mean it's not good either, it's just kind of dull. It's like the Shakespeare one except I guess it fails at tackling child abuse so that turns off more people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The_Doctor posted:

Well, every season so far except 6 and 8 has brought back a classic monster so we're due a new revival.

Daleks, Cybermen, Macra, the Master, Sontarans, Silurians, Ice Warriors, Zygons... Running a bit thin on good classic enemies. Sea Devils would make sense.

They could always do the Chumblies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EatinCake posted:

All the "The ____ that _____" is really trodden at this point. I'm dreading those episodes simply on title alone.

Besides the first two, none of them sound particularly interesting either.

Good thing "that" doesn't appear in any of the titles.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I'm fine with a cruddy episode here or there (or even if most of the episodes are not great) its the lack of multiparters and the importance of the meta-plot that's dragging it down for me. Even the good episodes feel rushed, like they don't have enough time to develop their characters and locations. Nightmare in Silver would have made an amazing two-parter. As it stands it's a (again, in my opinion) decent little episode.

Well, we'll have a chance to see if two parters really will solve a lot of problems.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DoctorWhat posted:

HELL TO THE loving YEAH

I just realized how much of Hugh Laurie I see in Capaldi's performance.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

2house2fly posted:

He drops a bug or something on Gallifrey that lets him track it probably. When there was speculation that series 8 would involve an amnesia plot I was sure it would climax with the Doctor returning to Day Of The Doctor and getting his memory back from exposure to all his previous selves.

Only the pre-11 doctors lost their memories though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thrawn527 posted:

Being concerned with canon in Doctor Who is certainly something you can do. But I think that way lies madness.

The best you can really hope for with Doctor Who and canon is that things remain consistent throughout the given series.

Usually it's just throughout the given episode.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The_Doctor posted:

From Moffat:

All the 2 parters are interesting...

I guess we know when the bad CGI dragon is showing up now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chairman Capone posted:

They should throw us all for a loop and finally film that Stephen Fry script.

Maybe they'll do it like the Simpsons and wait 20 years before they finally make it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Irish Joe posted:

I think her last appearance is in a DVD extra. It was a really weird way to get rid of such a pivotal character of the early Moffat era.

She's apparently coming back in some audio dramas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Little_wh0re posted:

A season nine ep. A gatiss one, is going to be found footage.

Personally I approve but I expect it will be controversial.

At least you can't say it's regular old Doctor Who.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

There's still that mild disappointment that'd seep in though, like when you play the first Mass Effect game and are enjoying it but then remember "Oh yeah, this all leads to a massive pile of poo poo."

The first Mass Effect game was also pretty bad though (unless you only play the main story and even then the guns are weird).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Clara wakes up at the end of the episode: "I had the strangest dream!"

• Locked thread