Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Enrico Dandolo posted:

Having a hard time figuring out how this could mean anything but "Prince Bagsecg is the lover of his father, the King of Denmark."

Similarly

Count Rudolf really loves himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
So I'm trying to run the "tweaked titles" mod posted earlier in this thread with the new patch, but I get a bunch of blank event pop-ups (no text, no button to close them and they come 6 at a time)
Its the only mod I'm using, and it doesn't happen without it on
Traits seem to be referred to by name rather than number in the file, so maybe its because of the change to modding landed_titles?

Either way does anybody know of a fix?

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Allyn posted:

I use it (although I actually merged it with another mod I use) and it works fine for me... But there have been changes made to the landed_titles file and I think I fixed those issues manually, I can't remember. If you grab notepad++ and install the compare plugin for it you can easily fix any issues. Alternatively I can upload my copy tomorrow if you want. It does have some stuff added but that stuff will be completely inconsequential on vanilla -- specifiying holy sites for the Muslim heresies, iirc, which are just duplicates of their parents' ones (so even if it does read them then functionally there won't be any difference).

Thanks, that probably would have been smarter but I ended up just copying the new landed_titles and adding the allow = { OR = { yada yada to everything myself. Maybe I'll go back and do that just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Just noticed this dude hanging out in my empire

A virgin birth by the father? That's a new one for me

He's a bastard and possessed and his dad is slow if that means anything

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
I figured it was something like that.

Anyway, an actual question: What duchies make good republics? I've never actually played one so I'm not sure.
In my latest game I set up crete, cyprus, mallorca, cherson and orkney as republics in addition to genoa and venice. For whatever reason though orkney has not made a single trade post despite being a republic a lot longer than some of the other ones. They're still making a ton of money somehow however.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Sounds pretty par for the course for ck2

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Unless its changed recently "build spy network" definitely does not increase assassination chances against someone out leading troops if put in their home province, you'd have to actually put it in the one they are leading troops in.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Dwarf posted:

Gonna quote this again. Is there a way to console-gently caress so that the Mongols come in early? Maybe an event code?

Edit: The event id is 60000 for Rumors of a Steppe Menace
60001 for Arrival of the Ilkhanate
60002 for the Golden Horde

You may have to do them in order if they haven't already triggered

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 11, 2014

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Can you spread tech in counties you don't hold personally? I don't think you can.

I've found the best way to go about it is to tech up trade practices in you capital and hold onto the counties you want to make into trade republics yourself for a meaty demesne bonus (and your steward bonus if you're so inclined) until they hit 2 and then hand them off. It might be faster to just revoke the titles back if you can afford the tyranny.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Tech spreads to adjacent counties, so anything you advance in your capital will spread throughout your desmesne and also to any counties adjacent to your capital, and from there it'll spread to counties adjacent to your desmesne and counties adjacent to the other adjacent counties, and so on and so forth until it's everywhere.

Main Paineframe posted:

Tech always spreads to adjacent counties, regardless of who the holder is. The only advantage to personally holding counties is that tech will spread between the counties in your demense as if they were adjacent, no matter how far away they actually are. You can send councillors to spread tech in any county in your realm, but I can't remember how that works or where you're supposed to put them for maximum effect.

"Spread tech" was referring to the councilor mission to spread tech since that's what he was talking about. I hadn't been able to get on CK since posting until now, but I just double checked and you can only send them to counties you personally hold.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Should you put a spread tech councillor in a high or a low tech province? I've always been vague on that.

They only add a bonus to the rate of tech spread TO that county, so short answer: low tech.
If you open the county window and mouse over the tech icons it will show you the progress being made on each tech of that type and a breakdown of the contributors and bonuses. If it's 0.0%/year sending your councilors there isn't going to do anything.
This can also be seen by opening the tech screen and mousing over a given county... if the cogs are spinning progress is being made and a councilor can speed it up, if they are greyed out you aren't gaining anything on that tech.

At the start of the game I generally keep them in my capital and send my spymaster to study tech somewhere like Constantinople (which causes it to spread tech to my capital). Once the capital is teched up they can be used to spread it around your demesne. If you intend to move your capital it can be a good idea to send your councilors there ahead of time.

edit:

StashAugustine posted:

or having your spymaster spy on a higher-tech county (not sure if this is capital or all.)
Its capital only

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 26, 2014

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
In my ironman game, after taking some byzantine land I keep getting the man himself, the Ecumenical Patriarch, sent to to try and convert me. I've blotted 4 of them already, have another rotting in my dungeon and its only ~ year 1000.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

gently caress. My Heir grew up, but the other guy won't accept the marriage I arranged and I'm not seeing any option to break it off, any help? This is iron man mode so I can't cheat console my way out.

No break betrothal under your heir's diplomacy menu?

I had one happen to me today where the original liege died and the new one refused the betrothal but had no problem accepting a marriage under the same terms after I broke it :downs:

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 20, 2014

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
I mean the ruler creator was pretty easy to game, but if you want to "cheat" its still really easy to edit the save file to get and even better character so....
It doesn't balance anything except for people playing ironman with achievements already disabled from using the ruler creator :confused:

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Ray and Shirley posted:

I've placed both the new "landed_titles" file and the file Aquitaine.mod in the following directory:

\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod

The landed_titles.txt file should go in \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Aquitaine\common\landed_titles

Right now it's looking for an "Aquitaine" folder and replacing the path with one that doesn't exist which would be why you weren't getting any titles at all
(And then adding .txt where you did tells it to replace a path that didn't exist in the first place with one that still doesn't exist causing things to go back to normal)

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 31, 2014

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

Can anyone tell me how to modify the new "You can no longer usurp the sole primary title off of someone with a different religion if he has any holdings within it" rule back to what it was? It's... pretty goofy and clunky.

I'd like to know this as well. Poked around a little bit and didn't find anything, is it hard coded?

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Eimi posted:

Hey I was wondering people with modding skill, is there any way to mod portraits? I want to play around with what hats people wear, but cannot really find out how to do so.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?530197-Crusader-Kings-II-Dev-Diary-7-Character-Portraits-and-Modding

Sounds like you'd have to mess around with portrait_properties.txt in CKII/interface

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
To move faster.

It also required moving the capital around a bunch to abuse the become king ambition, which got fixed shortly after.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

All republics rock that venetian swag. Fancy hats for all!

My norse merchant republic dudes just wear the same headband as everyone else, granted I don't own the republic dlc so that might be it.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Mercenaries if you can afford them or if you have kids you can marry off to make allies MAYBE you can call one in. Otherwise all you can do is disband (in your territory) wait for your levies to replenish and raise them again. If you can't raise enough to siege him you are going to be in for a long possibly futile war.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Newbie question!

If I have levies raised and could raise more, is there any way to just just like, get reinforcements or do I have to disband and re-raise?

If you currently have even a single soldier raised from a holding you will not be able to raise any that have replenished in that particular holding. However if you have holdings with no levies raised (say they weren't raised in the first place or the entirety of the troops originally raised from there died from combat/attrition/whatever) you will be able to raise those without disbanding any that you have up.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

I have never had a murder plot take less than 5 years to happen. There are 4 children ahead of her. I'll probably due before I get through three of them

You can't plot to murder your own kids anyways so its all diplo-assinations, you could do it in a single day if you are rich enough. Or if you know someone is plotting to murder them already you can send them to be educated by one of the plotters and hope for the best.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 5, 2014

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Parallax Scroll posted:

That didn't seem to work when I tried it. I gave my sons duchies, and one of them inherited my capital anyway.

If you are holding onto a lot more counties than your extra sons have it will start handing some of them out too. You just need to keep an eye on the "titles lost on succession" alert up top. When you feel like you might bite the bucket soon you can then a) give more other land to the son(s) that are going to get the counties you want to keep or b) (probably better) give some counties away to randoms until the alert goes away. You don't always NEED to be at your demesne limit.

Managing gavelkind isn't too bad once you are used to it. You just either need to be expanding fast enough to get all your sons equalish chunks of land or start "taking them out" of the line of inheritance.

I've spent most of my time in this game playing unreformed pagans though so

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm still not sure why I can't declare a GHW with my new character, but I'll play it out.

How do you summon vassal levies in a specific county? I can see "raise levy" in the right-click menu for holdings, but usually it's grayed out.

There is also a cooldown on them even if you're on a new character. 100 years? I think.

And a question of my own, what kingdoms still have special creation requirements? I know Jerusalem still requires being christian but are there any others with a religion requirement?
I'm playing as norse, nearing the requirements to create the roman empire and waiting to reform until after because I'd lose the Fylkirate by going orthodox. Going to create Jerusalem at the same time but wondering if there are other kingdoms out there that are going to screw up my plans.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

TaurusTorus posted:

That America mod is awesome, let me play it now, actual playablility be damned

Also, is there any event that causes "the power of Satan let this guy escape your prison" that's not the Spawn of Satan event? I've had 4 people use the power of Satan to escape my dungeons, its an infernal revolving door.

I think that event can happen for any possessed character and not just the SoA Demon Spawn

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
I just looked it up in the event files and it looks like it actually triggers for the demon spawn or a character that is both possessed and has the "voice of satan" modifier.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
In my current game I am the Norse/Norse ruler of the Byzantine Empire, following the inevitable rebellion that happened after pressing my claim I left the orthodox dukes that didn't rebel alone. Well now 100 years later it turns out a catholic Karling got control of Adrianopolis at some point, and between the the 2 counties, gave 5(!) holdings to the Knights Hospitaller. It's going to take forever to weed these jerks out one holding at a time.

Karlings :argh:

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Tsyni posted:

Just remember, Byzantine Empire gets free ducal revocation.

Yeah, I know, but I'd have to revoke counties too in order to give the duchies to norse dudes so I'm just leaving it be until I reform and bump up CA.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

From the shots you posted it looks like you are the Duke of Munster and not actually the King of Ireland?
So I'd work towards getting 4 more of those counties and get yourself a kingdom, probably by picking on the still divided Ulster.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah I'm leaning towards Wales right now. Does the game alert you when someone converts to heresy or do I have to manually check?

Also I have an alert that a title might pass out of my control on the current holder's death. Poking around in game I don't see any way to easily prevent that. My thought is that as soon as the inheritance happens I should make a de jure claim against him.

If you press a subjects weak claim and they gain the country in question, do they become your vassal?

That de jure claim might work, unless the inheritee is from a larger realm. The notification might only be there because you have a young vassal that hasn't had any kids yet and his nearest relative is a Scottish count or something, its hard to say without more details.

For claim wars pushing someone else's claim: They will become your vassal if a)the claim title is a de jure vassal of you or b) they are of your dynasty and the title is of a lower rank than the one you hold

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm pretty sure you dont because a neighbor would just be able to trounce you and your lack of levies, unless that changed recently. Also now I dont personally hold one of the best duchies and a decent Kingdom myself, so....not sure. Instead I started causing poo poo in Wales (because I culture swapped to Welsh right away in the game because I wanted to make Welsh North Afrika).

You absolutely do lose any prepared invasion troops if the war ends by normal means, boats too.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Supeerme posted:

I have seen two host go dead in the water as the armies just stayed where they are and never leaving or entering their 200 boats.

Yeah something seems to be broken about them. I've seen quite a few in my games just stand in their original county as attrition ticks away ("This unit has been out of supplies for 1000 days"!) and their opponent's war score ticks up, even though there are plenty of boats sitting right there. In the same games though I'll see plenty that do work as intended so I have no idea

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Nosre posted:

Apologies since this has probably been asked, but hey, 637 pages...

Is there a way, or mod perhaps, to go back to the old map? I'm playing for the first time in 6 or 10 months and this current version is significantly slower than it was before. I assume the map and massive amount of extra characters is a large cause of that.

I just want to pillage some brits, I don't need all this indian crap

They have 1.111 and 2.0.4 up as "beta" opt-ins. Just right click -> properties -> betas tab and pick one to roll your game back. I think 2.0.4 is the one right before they expanded the map.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
You need to control every single holding in the kingdom for it to drift into your empire, every barony, every city and every temple. Check to make sure your counties don't have holdings controlled by outside powers. Given those kingdoms, there might be some holdings controlled by christian holy orders hiding out there.

Further, counties don't drift by themselves, duchies can drift into kingdoms but wont just drift into your empire unless you make them drift into a kingdom that is already de jure part of your empire.

Also if they were drifting into something else before they will have to drift out of it first before starting to drift into something else.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 13, 2014

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

I'm okay with making vassal management more difficult, with the provision that I am worried it will lead to AI kingdoms disintegrating on the regular.

Yeah I am thinking the same thing. The player will figure out how to hold empires together with the new system but if the ai has a harder time holding poo poo together it might just make blobbing even easier, even if you are fighting stronger rebellions.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
I play almost the entirety of my game on speed 1, 2 if I am waiting for something specific :colbert:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What exactly are the reqs for Jomsvikings? Are they not spawning because my dumbass vassals are rejecting them or is it because one of the provinces got the last holding slot filled up?

They should spawn if any of the 4 provinces; Stettin, Wolgast, Rügen or Werle have a free slot and are owned by a norse pagan, reformed or not (and the year is 920 or later). Mean time to happen is just under 52 years though so it could take awhile.

And if this means what I think it does:
code:
ai_chance = {
			factor = 99
		}
Then the ai has only a 1% chance of rejecting them?
Though it looks like if they do get rejected in one county they won't ask any of the others.

The only other thing would be if there is no pope which I have seen people in this thread mention happening due to cb weirdness.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 6, 2014

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Reveilled posted:

since you can't actually fight Great Holy Wars until something like 1100 (maybe a way to unlock them earlier is available)

Norse (and other pagan) GHWs will become available early if both crusades and jihads have been unlocked. For reformed pagans only of course.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

Really? I always falter as Harald because either I play it safe in uniting as much of Scandinavia as I can before declaring on the Karling blobs that all drag each other into prepared invasions (and thus get the holy sites but don't have enough moral authority for a reform because in the mean time all the AI fucks have lost a bunch of holy wars)--or I jump too early and the Karlings just steamroll the population of Scandinavia.

Eh, none of independent norse duke starts in 867 are really hard. I'd put Fairhair as one of the easiest since you can gobble up land and form a kingdom pretty quick and nobody is really going to come after you being surrounded by norse pagans... I've put myself on the the throne of the Byzantine Empire in the 2nd generation pretty easily starting as Fairhair. The ones in the British isles are no brainers since that is one of the safest and easiest places to expand and you start with a shitload of troops. You can include Haesteinn here too. The ones staring in Russia have tons of easy expansion, Dyre has to be careful about sharing borders with Hungary because they always seem to come after your land instead of weaker neighbours, but Khazaria usually makes a good invasion target. Really I'd say snake-in-the-eye has it the toughest since Jylland might actually put up a fight and if you do take him you now share borders with the Karling blob. Worst case though you can solve that by subjugating someone in Norway, moving your capital there and pretending to be Fairhair. Once you get enough land as anyone and your retinues kick in its easy mode, if there aren't any good conquest targets then you are just raiding for fat loot.

e: Reforming is really not a big deal until you get to the point where there is nobody on the world map worth fighting over a single county

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 9, 2014

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Maybe I am just used to it but Gavelkind is really not that hard to deal with (from a norse perspective). Only have one of your highest level titles, give some land to your sons younger than the one you want to be heir, kill anyone older than him. Stabbing is the easiest way and its not hard to make a ton of cash raiding, except for maybe your 1st/2nd rulers. But aside from stabbing there's also having them lead your armies, sending them to the varangian guard - it may kill them outright, give them traits that make them more likely to die on their own, or if they convert more people are likely to join your brother's/wife's/concubine's plot to kill them, and for children, send them to be educated by someone who has joined a plot to kill them for a freebee (also don't auto-stop plots for this and other reasons).

If you want to be super game-y about it you can basically choose when to die by getting revenge stabbed.

I am interested to see what elective-gavelkind turns out to be. Since it is supposed to be worse I am guessing you still play on as your eldest but younger sons (or your vassals) have the potential to take you top level title. That no-war independence thing just seems like a massive "gently caress you" to the player if it turns out to be true.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Excelzior posted:

Yeah see stabbing is great but this next patch removes it from the game entirely.

So that's right out.

Yeah that is going suck. I'm hoping they at least let you plot against your children with it removed.
I'll wait and see what happens but guaranteeing everything most likely goes to poo poo every succession and making it nearly impossible to choose which heir to play as, short of using the console, sounds pretty anti-fun to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
They call it the wilds for a reason!

• Locked thread