Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ronwayne posted:

The rest of them are redeemed abyssals. I swear that poo poo is like a revolving door.

I made a redeemed Abyssal NPC but after he decided to be a good person he did absolutely nothing significant so he wouldn't accidentally serve death.

He didn't become a solar or anything though, he just chills out being a three-dot mentor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
It's just not Exalted without the appearance stat.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Nessus posted:

This gets into philosophy-of-science territory, but I always thought there were actually fair points to that. Exalted is sufficiently rabid in its animism that knowing the spirit-laws and so forth is probably actually something that could be studied in a rigorous kind of way. Of course, to some people 'science' means 'robots and mecha suits and like, computers, man' so welp

The mecha suits never really felt out of theme to me, but maybe I'm poisoned by anime.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Fans posted:

Been playing it for a month and still not gotten into combat just to taunt those without. We are bad at testing new systems.

I ran everyone through a series of 1v1 combat with the elite troops over the course of a couple days to get the hang of the combat system. The cool thing was that everyone had a different strategy for dealing with them.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I don't like how they gated high level artifacts off from mortal craftsmen by saying, well haw haw haw only solar exalted can get 69 successes on a single roll, after they invest all of their XP into 100 different charms, instead of just loving gating them. I don't see what advantage making mortal craftsmen theoretically able to make an artifact 5 if they roll all 10s on every die serves.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

LatwPIAT posted:

Based on hearsay and some stuff Holden might have said sometime I don't know, the reason for this is thus:

a) Holden wants character generation to be fast and simple. Therefore, attributes and skills are levelled up at character generation with linear costs.
b) Holden wants character advancement to be a slow process, where each new dot feels like a greater accomplishment than the previous one. Therefore, attributes and skills are levelled up with quadratic costs.
c) Holden does not consider the potential XP-different between characters resulting from a linear/quadratic-discrepancy a problem great enough to outweigh the benefits of a and b.

(Personally, I feel that c outweighs all the proposed benefits. Intentionally creating situations where players can end up hundreds of XP behind others (to take a 2E example) is stupid because it creates situations that can be actively harmful to fun. Like this.)

Hmmmm yes fast character creation. Well thank god that's not a consideration at all because there are 3 million charms to choose from.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I actually quite like training times, it gives the game a bit of a rhythm and it gives me as ST a reason to have long breaks. Right now my players are about to hit essence 2, so I'm giving them a yearlong timeskip to do long-term projects and train up their attributes; pretty much all of next session is gonna be devoted to whatever they as players undertake.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

theironjef posted:

Yeah, but that's exactly what I'm describing. Training takes place between arcs, and you are going with an ST set amount of time appropriate to your story instead of a calculated amount derived from the game rules. Those rules are easy targets for removal or just super simplification.

Well the time they spend training is time they aren't developing backgrounds or advancing character goals, etc, so I think the training times are still relevant and somewhat interesting. they'll cease to be that when the timeskips start getting longer, but so it is.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I want to be hauntingly seduced by abyssal specters!

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I'm really happy with the withering-decisive split, I wanna say. I think crash especially gives a natural place for NPCs or PCs to start negotiating surrender terms in a way that makes the fallout of a battle a lot more interesting.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Would it even be a gambit? It seems slightly better than just making a decisive attack.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I've replaced the Crafting system in my game with a modified Sorcerous Project system, though there's some differences, like costing no BP. The Crafting tree is pretty small and sad right now, haha. But that leaves plenty of room for Craft charms that don't just add dice to things if I ever get around to filling them in.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GYhcVwLT9-2q7zT9cyAMzw2FHmq9bCP1Ire3Kb4SelY/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think!

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

gourdcaptain posted:

Huh. Where are they talking to the devs where they'll actually comment on anything leak related? It's strictly banned on the official forums, and everywhere else I've seen they (up until yesterday) wouldn't comment on anything regarding it.

Also wait, automatic damage. (Looks at PDF). In a system with 7 health boxes unless you purchase Ox-Body, no rolling, bypasses soak. So yeah, continues the joke I've seen the easiest way to kill a Solar is to shove him off a cliff I've seen locally. (Once had to deal with a DM claiming that just because someone had super-jumping, didn't mean they could resist the fall. Poor guy splatted from his own jump.)

I'm glad that Ox-Body is actually very good now at least. Telling people to buy it is actually sane advice somehow now.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ferrinus posted:

I still want attribute dice to work differently from skill dice somehow!

attribuetes are dice, skills are what you roll under.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I know, variable target numbers, yeah ok. But it works just fine in TBZ.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ferrinus posted:

The craft and sorcerous workings systems really need to be combined into one system in which you can earl appropriately-colored XP from finishing small projects or discovering cool things and then spend it on larger projects, etc.

I'm probably going to replace all XP costs with a cost in Adventures as a patch. It's not a system or anything, just, yeah waive the XP cost and in exchange you gotta go hunt a siege lizard or something.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Bedlamdan posted:

No, that would use Linguistics. Read the book again!

the text of the book would be a craft project because it's a technical manual, but the admonishing sidebars are done with Linguistics.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
It basically feels like punishment because really, who's the guy who made a crafter to make loving tables. I mean I'm sure he exists, but poo poo.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ferrinus posted:

Conceivably you're supposed to use Performance for this, except oops they split Performance charms up by instrument used and while there are a bunch for speaking there are none for writing. Presumably if someone directly transcribes something your character says while making a Performance roll the ink just turns to ash before it can soak into the paper.

It's vitally important that the performance tree has three charms that all do nothing but double 9s for different kinds of performance, ok? It preserves the feel of the setting.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's getting fun but I think I made my guy kinda useless in combat except for spamming empowering shout haha

I'll say there should be less combat in the game in general but more chances for me, specifically, to kill every enemy out of join battle with multi-attacks.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I'd also like to say: Somebody send Holden Shearer to Time Jail for warping space and time to fit even loving more charms into this stupid rear end book. What the hell. Seriously. There should be like 120 charms max.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

SunAndSpring posted:

What evocations would be good for a 5 dot starmetal spear? Give me some ideas, oh Exalted thread.

Put in a decisive attack that does something incredibly cruel similar to shun the smiling lady. Instead of damage, you weaken everyone's intimacies of love or respect towards that person and if you do enough damage they're replaced with intimacies of hatred or ostracism.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Give the spear the thrown tag so it's like sticking a javelin in your prey during a hunt, but socially.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ketrus posted:

This is why I don't blame Holden, Maria, or any of the grunts in the slightest. The game developers and writers are being paid by wordcount, after the product is released. That one of them is being gang-pressed into doing page references is an absolute embarrassment, one even worse than the fact that this product is two years late and hasn't paid any of its actual workers a dime. Internet opinions time, Richard Thomas should be ashamed of himself. There's obviously a lot of talent and love invested in this project, but he's managed it absolutely horribly. Maybe consider paying someone a few hundred bucks to use layout software to take the pagerefs out of Holden's hands? You've got two years worth of interest from the writers' share of that $684,755 kickstarter. That should cover it.

(Also, to go back in time a bit, the really fun bit about an onslaught Solar isn't beating up Ahlat in a single turn. Any creative ST can stunt some way around that, even if they can't figure out how to use his charms properly. It's that the same general strategy absolutely wrecks battle groups, so you can throw down twenty motes to wade through any army of a thousand men and send them scattering. That's worth keeping in the game, in my opinion.)

Doing 25+ decisive damage to a battle group from Join Battle is absolutely worth keeping. What needs a second look, I think, is Increasing Strength Exercise. Seriously. What is with that charm.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Bedlamdan posted:

Tbh the RPG.net people should be demodded too after they banned one dude for the contents of a private message sent to another dude who was cool with whatever was inside it.

They're just want to ban all the wrongthinkers and frankly, you're making a big deal about nothing.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I just realized today that Hero System 6e clocks in at only 784 pages. Steven S Long has a lot to learn.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
The only situation where I'd allow prebuffs is when you're done having a dialogue with the rival solar/deathlord/rakshasa queen/lunar dogfucker and it's clear it will only end in battle. I'd like it if that was an explicit exception to a general rule instead of something you have to divine with yarrow sticks to Interpret The Will of Holden and Morke.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Ainz-sama casting buffs.mp4

Bless of Magic Caster.

e. also pendragon dude

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Charms are absolutely rules. They may be the most important rules.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

RPZip posted:

I've helpfully bolded the fluff/flavor text in this charm.

You missed another sentence, bringing the total to like 10%

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Yeah, I think I was expecting d&d 3rd => 4th, and instead got d&d 3rd => d&d 3.5 .

It's got its share of flaws as a game but that's not a fair comparison and you know it.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I seriously started recruiting for an exalted 3e game using the leak just minutes before I heard the announcement that the book will be out this week.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Rand Brittain posted:

There's something very pleasant about a Zenith's Exaltation story being about how she wandered into a temple saying "gently caress! gently caress all the gods forever!" and the Unconquered Sun looking down at her and saying "Preach it, sister!"

Volfer picking a fight by labelling his junk "approved by the Scarlet Empress" is also funny.

I worked out an exaltation story with the zenith in my game and it turned into getting a literal letter of marque from the unconquered sun.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I hope they introduce like 5+ new bullshit terrestrial exalt types and all the purists get furious.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

DarckRedd posted:

Personally, I feel torn about it. I think you would get a lot of situations where every member of the circle has a combat ability supernal, narrowing the game somewhat and potentially leaving the circle with little utility outside of combat. On the other hand, if that's what people find fun, more power to them.

Somehow I ended up with a situation where nobody has a combat ability supernal, not even the Dawn.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Actually, thinking about it, he probably chose Supernal Awareness for his dawn caste because he likes the combat system and wants to use it, instead of skipping it.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Attorney at Funk posted:

I think the people who don't like the Crafting system largely either don't understand it or don't actually want to play crafters. This is again distinct from the charm tree which is insulting garbage.

I like the crafting system, but I think the basic/major split is foolish

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Roadie posted:

Heck, pull from public domain art if you really need to fill some space that badly.

the people making exalted don't have the taste or good sense to draw from public domain stuff.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ferrinus posted:

Okay here's my idea for the combat system, you roll Dexterity + Melee and your number of successes determines how cool the opponent that you conjure and instantly slay looks.

I'd like to have a way to make knowing things a proactive thing you can do, skills like awareness and lore leave me feeling pretty cold normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I am insane. Here's something I cooked up for my players (but mostly for myself) because I was sick of insane situations where 12 people go on the same tick and wanted a way to resolve them. It also includes expanded resolution for decisive attacks to account for counterattack and clash charms.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ai9_P4rMWswUq0T8xNO7yGCw8vmQrznkwkw6ewALfik/edit?usp=sharing

let me know if you see any holes or potential problem points.

• Locked thread