Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

:circlefap:What is an iPad?:circlefap:

The iPad (and iPad Mini) is Apple's 7(.85) and 10 inch tablets. There have been four generations of the 10 inch version (known as the iPad with Retina Display) and one generation of the iPad Mini. Both tablets run iOS (Current Max Version is 6.1.3).

"But why don't you believe the rumors? They've been right in the past?" -- WRONG. Rumors have been wrong until they are magically right. I can say that there's a new iPad coming out in the next month and if I'm loving wrong, :downswords: no one put handcuffs on me, I'll just say I was wrong its actually THIS month! In fact, most rumors sites don't even admit they were wrong about a rumor, they just go with the next rumor of the day!

iPad with Retina Display - It is widely accepted that the 5th generation iPad will be slimmer, weigh less, and look a whole loving lot like the iPad mini (except boast a 10 inch retina screen) -- It is rumored that the device will be launching in the next 0-6 months. I AM NOT A FORTUNE TELLER.
iPad Mini - The only rumor for this is that it may or may not have a retina display, and may not be launching until October.

:d:Key Features of the 4th Generation iPad with Retina Display:d:

Retina Display - Apple has somehow figured out how to jam four times as many pixels into the same screen. This creates a screen that makes text, images, colors look pretty loving incredible. This is a similar upgrade as the iPhone 3G/3GS to the iPhone 4/4S. The resolution on the Retina Display iPad is 2048x1536.
4G LTE (Costs $130 extra) - Available through AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. These are not LTE exclusive, and can use carrier 3G/4G networks if LTE is unavailable.
A6X Chip - Apple's fastest mobile chip yet.
10 Hour Battery Life - The thing refuses to die unless you use it for like 3 days straight.
Lightning Connector - In addition to the iPhone 5 getting a lightning connector, so did the 4th generation iPad.

Previous Generation Features
iPad 3rd Generation (Max iOS Version: 6.1.3) - Was the first iPad with Retina Display. Considered half a fast as the 4th generation iPad.
iPad 2nd Generation (Max iOS Version: 6.1.3) - Was a complete redesign from the first generation iPad. Nearly half as thin, half the weight.
iPad 1st Generation (Max iOS Version: 5.1.1) - A completely revolutionary product. Browsing the web, doing anything reading was way better that any laptop, and any phone.

:d:Key Features of the iPad Mini:d:

It Weighs Like Nothing - Seriously, if you pick one of these up you wonder how an iPad could have been made so light. The thing can be held for hours in one hand without fatigue.
Runs everything on the iPad - All apps that are developed for the iPad Retina are also available for the iPad mini. It is very seamless.
4G LTE (Costs $130 extra) - Available through AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. These are not LTE exclusive, and can use carrier 3G/4G networks if LTE is unavailable.
10 Hour Battery Life - The thing refuses to die unless you use it for like 3 days straight.
Built like an iPad 2 - On the internals, the entire device is built like an iPad 2. 1024x768 resolution display, same ram, same processor.

:d:iPad 4th Generation vs. iPad 2 vs. iPad Mini:d:
Why would you want to pick an iPad 2 over a gorgeous retina display iPad? Well, the price. You can pick up the 16 GB Models for $100 cheaper than it's retina counterpart (and probably refurbished models cheaper than that). This gives you the exact same experience except you lose out on the pretty screen, voice dictation (see above), LTE (although you still can get 3G (non HSPA+) networks) and the higher resolution camera. The experience in all other aspects of the iPad should remain constant. If you are seriously considering buying an iPad 2, you should seriously consider an iPad Mini. The mini weighs less, will be supported longer, and is a better tablet that actually costs less.

:d:Official Accessories:d:

Smart Cover for iPad with Retina Display - The smart cover is one of the coolest covers for this piece of beautiful technology. It snaps to the edges of the iPad via magnets, and will cover the entire front of the screen. There is a software option to allow the smart cover to lock the screen when you put the cover on, and unlock the screen when you lift the cover off. The cover can also fold around to support the iPad off the ground.

Smart Cover for iPad Mini

Smart Case for iPad with Retina Display - The smart case is a polyurethane (The same material the smart covers are made out of) case that covers the edges and back of your iPad. It also includes a smart cover within it (its all one piece). So this baby covers your front, back, and edges; so it provides superior protection. This will not, however, give you any better drop coverage (its not an otterbox). Its available in all the same colors as the smart cover (including Red) and has no Leather options.

Cases/Keyboards/Styluses Highly Recommended by Goons

Amazon Basic Stylus - Works Really Well.
Minisuit Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Mini - One of the best case/keyboard combos I've used on the Mini. Holds up really well, keys nice, and its not terrible to type with.
Kensington KeyFolio for iPad with Retina - One of the top sellers for the 10 inch iPad. Always a solid choice, the keyboard can be removed and the case can be used as a stand.

:d:Warranty:d:

AppleCare+ - AppleCare+ Debuted with the iPhone 4S, as is now available for the iPad. You pay $99 up front, this covers your iPad for an additional 1 Year on top of the 1 Year you get from Apple without AC+. AppleCare+, however, will also grant you two "Accidental" replacements for $49 each. This means that if you drop your iPad and the screen shatters, or you drop it in your tub full of water, or you spike it to the floor volleyball style, you bring it in, fork over $49, and you get a "new" refurbished model (which are considered new).

SquareTrade - This is essentially AppleCare+, however is good for only one use (and terminates the warranty when you do use it to replace your iPad). Its not as easy as walking into an Apple Store to get it taken care of on the spot (however they do have options to do this).

Apps & Games
Games Thread
Apps Thread

Helpful UI Tips
  • Use two fingers to scroll a frame or text entry box within your Safari browser.
  • Hold down a finger on a link to open it in a new tab.
  • Hold down a finger on a picture to save it to your iPad
  • Hold down the power button and press the home button to take a screenshot.
  • In Safari press and hold till you get the magnifying glass to position a cursor on text.
  • In General Settings you can turn on "Multifinger Gestures" which allow you to close an app with a 4 finger pinch; 3 finger swipe up opens the fast app switch menu. 4 finger swipe left/right changes to the most recent/last recent app.

What to use this thread for?
  • Finding out the latest and greatest news and rumors for iPads.
  • Ask questions about accessories.
  • Store Availability
  • Questions about which model to use, and why you should buy one in the first place.
  • Other questions that are relevant to the iPad.

Link to the Previous iPad Megathread

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Biodome posted:

Op is great but just FYI Sprint sells LTE iPads too.

I'll add it, thanks.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Tweets last week were mentioning production for iPad Retina 5 was going to start next month.

Today's rumor is that iPad 5 will be announced on Monday.

:psyduck:

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Endless Mike posted:

So the iPad 3 was a blunder because the iPad 4 runs faster than it? Does this mean the iPad 4 will turn into a blunder when the inevitably faster iPad 5 comes out? The iPad 3 runs almost identically to the iPad 2 and looks way better.

What abut it makes it a blunder? Its still an incredibly fast device. Its probably going to be the same in performance as the iPhone 4 is to the iPhone 5. Since the 4th Gen iPad is really the iPad 3rd Gen S.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Just note that a new 10 inch iPad that looks like the iPad Mini is going to be coming out in 3 months. If you can hold off that long. The iPad 4 resell prices are going to continue to fall.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Have they actually announced one yet? I was hoping one might show up at WWDC so I could skip the 4th gen and go straight for that.

Negative, but all signs point to an early/mid fall release for the Christmas shopping season. Apple wants to have their 2013 models on the table ahead of time. This makes it pretty clear for the larger iPad in September/Oct

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

omg chael crash posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to save some money by buying an iPad 3? Should I be buying a 4?

If you don't need one right now, you should at least wait to see what's coming out in September-ish. If you can hold your cash for 3 months, you may want the iPad 5th gen.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Back to school ends September 6th. Don't expect anything new until then. I'd expect to see new 10 inch iPads around September 19/20.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
eBay, Amazon, Craigslist. The moment a new one is announced the prices on previous generation falls about 15-20%.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Beastie posted:

So my App center badge says I have 10 apps to update, but when I launch it and try to update I get this:

I've tried restarting my ipad and closing the app , what gives?

This is happening to me too. This is something on Apple's side and is affecting only iPads.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Wall Street Journal says next iPad Mini will indeed have a retina display. Google, with the retina Nexus 7, pretty much forced their hand on it.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I'm sure they planned on retina, however they may have considered non-retina for reasons I'm not sure of.

I'm also sure that Apple knew the Nexus 7 was coming out with Retina long before it was announced. When Apple gets wind of that they know for sure that 2nd Gen iPad Mini without Retina would be a bust.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

rikatix posted:

Hey guys. So my iPad that I got in late april was stolen last night. Long story short out house got burgled.

Obviously I have the find my iPhone/iPad app set to notify me if it connects to wifi but it looks like kids the burglary and probably already wiped it (I didn't set a password on it, it never left my home)

Any other options that I have? I googled about looking into if Apple could do anything with the serial number but couldn't find anything promising.

Thanks folks.

If the device does not show up on Find My iPhone, you are pretty much done, especially if it is only an Wifi only device.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

iPad 2's still sell a shitload. An extra $100 saved is big for a lot of people and lots don't want a smaller size.

Also what's the unlocked prices for the new phones?

Better for the iPhone thread, but 5C is $549 16GB and 5S is $649 16GB.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Will never not see the top of the apple logo as a butt and an almond now.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

BGrifter posted:

Entirely anecdotal, but if the kids my nieces and nephew associate with are any indication the iPod Touch blows the iPad Mini away in that category. I've never seen an iPad Mini in the wild, but every kid under 16 seems to have an iPod Touch.

Could just be that the Mini is newer and hasn't had enough time to replace old devices, I see a lot more 4th gen iPods than 5th gen ones.

My three year old uses an iPad Mini. She loves it, way better than my wife's phone. My 6 year old nephew also uses a 10 inch tablet.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
As a by the way, Amazon's trade in price for a 16 GB iPad 4th Generation is $301 for "Like New" quality. The used prices on Amazon and eBay are going for around $340-375 after shipping and listing fees.

Amazon's trade-in price is going to drop hard in the next few hours. If you want to basically take a $40-50 "fee" for trading in and not deal with hassle of shipping it to someone random & feedback and all that crap, now is the time.

iPad 4 16 GB Wifi

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 22, 2013

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I actually can't figure out why I would want the iPad Air over the iPad Mini... I guess its the same reason I like the 13 inch Macbook Air over the 11 inch Macbook air. Yeah, the poo poo's all still there but its just in a tight package?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The iPad Air is going to have more screen real estate, which means that taps have a less chance to miss, text is going to "look" 25% bigger, which is easier on my eyes. Its the only justification I can have right now for the Air over the Mini. I'll probably pick up the Air and if I just don't like the weight or bed-time feel, I'll just take it back and wait out for the mini.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I've noticed that 7.0.3 is more stable and performing than 7.0.2. Just a few hours but hey.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Nihiliste posted:

Do you think they'll have T-Mobile models in stock at Apple Stores?

They should have most models in stock at apple stores. The only one iffy is the 128 GB model maybe. There are 40 different models this time around though.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The article claims that the Air has only 1 GB of RAM, identical to iPad 4. My guess is rMini will also get 1 GB. If the article is true on that fact.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Eboracum posted:

I'm planning on going into John Lewis tomorrow at 8AM. I'd prefer to buy from Apple as I prefer the store but the two year warranty that JL offers is too good to pass up.

I only buy Applecare for my Macs.

My credit card covers my iPad for an extra year on top of the 1st year of AppleCare. Taking advantage of that tomorrow.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Feenix posted:

24 hour Walmart or not, I wouldn't expect them to go on sake before 8 or 9. No way Apple is going to let a 3rd Party scoop them on their own product.

They've done this in the past. Apple does not really give a poo poo who is selling their products, as long as they are selling.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Yeah, the air is absolutely fantastic.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Auron posted:

I already have a 4, but I couldn't resist...I went to Target and bought an Air.

BTW if you're looking for a 16gb, Target has them for 479.99 and if you use your Target credit/debit card (or sign up for one), you get an additional 5% off basically paying for taxes. $480.53 out the door in Wisconsin.

I did the same thing, but my credit card (non target) has a extended warranty built into it. So I ended up paying 510 after taxes :(

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I'll be updating the OP this afternoon with a list of accessories that I've found, and details about the Air.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Someone peed on your screen, deal with it.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
My keyboard is black and not transparent in the awful app but it is transparent in the spotlight search. Yours should be too. There is no way to change that setting.

Is it black in the messages app? It could be background related.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Returned my day one iPad air to Target and bought another one at Target and got the $100 gift card. iCloud backup rules. Really does.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

eddiewalker posted:

Try going into Walmart and talking to the site-to-store desk in the back?

You're most likely going to get a 16 year old who has no idea other than where the boxes are located in the back.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

clockworx posted:

Looks like Apple finally replaced the iPad 2 with the iPad 4 as the "cheap" ($399) iPad.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/18/apple-replaces-ipad-2-with-4th-gen-ipad-leaves-original-ipad-mini-as-only-non-retina-ios-device

I almost feel bad for everyone who bought an iPad 2 to save 100 bucks since the Air launched.

About god damned time

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Cross-posting from the apps thread since this is actually news for some people:

So basically Microsoft is saying, "We're going to think you'll spend $100 a year for our suite on the iPad you just bought which comes with iWork for free (which reads all Office documents just fine)."

Not sure how they are thinking this will work. Put a lot of effort into something that is only going to be used by people who religiously use office and pay the $100 already.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It's for people who have a work PC and already subscribe to Office 365.

They've been working on it for at least 8 months. I guess it was a rock and a hard place for Microsoft. Even though all office docs work pretty flawlessly with the Apple versions, Microsoft still has to put it out there to satisfy those that say, "I want this on my iPad." They could have gone the Apple route and said, "You want office on your device? Buy a surface :laugh:"

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

KodiakRS posted:

What's the easiest way to get movies and/or TV shows onto an iPad so that you can watch them later without streaming? My commute involves flying across the country every week in the back of airplanes that have lovely or nonexistent wifi. The iTunes store seems the most convenient but a single season of say, Archer, costs the same as 4 months of streaming netflix.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm looking for legit methods. Not :filez:

I'm not sure what you are looking for -- you're basically saying, I want to stream without using the Internet. Only Amazon offers a download feature of its "streaming" service but that is only to Kindle Fire tablets. You can purchase a season off amazon and download it to the Amazon instant video app, but you'd still be paying for the season, or any episodes.

The iPad can play m4v/mp4 files. ffmpeg (on a mac) can convert almost any video file into an iPad compatible format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

KodiakRS posted:

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Some sort of subscription based service that lets you download files but doesn't charge you for each individual one.

Right this is what you're looking for but its not available for the iPad. You can only download purchased content to the Instant Video app on the iPad. The download of the "free streaming" stuff in Amazon is only permitted to the Kindle Fire's that Amazon sells.