Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I couldn't find a better place to post this, so I figured I'd ask here:

What do you do to vet a company you're considering working for? They aren't on Glassdoor, so I googled the company name followed by "Scam", "Fraud" and "rear end in a top hat" and nothing came up, which is a decent sign. Still, it's for an HR job dealing with recruiters at a recruiting agency, so I'm already a bit skeptical.

Are there any other good methods to check out places before accidentally getting hired by some place very deceptive. I have a job right now, and while I'm probably getting fired soon, I don't want to leave and end up with nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

What is the suggested etiquette of asking for a job offer in writing when getting a call back from an employer? I've heard it's a bad sign if they refuse, but I don't know if that's accurate, especially in a more worker-abusing-marketplace in a poor economy. I want to get out of my dungeon, but I also don't want to end up jobless. (Just for the record: I don't actually have a job offer right now, I'm just asking so I know the lay of the land if and when one arrives.)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Everyone will give you a written job offer. Verbal job offers are typically contingent offers extended before the company runs a full background check, because these checks are expensive and nobody wants to run them on candidates who aren't going to accept the offered package anyway.

Typical protocol is to accept the verbal job offer, but not give notice to your current employer until you've received and signed the written letter. If you have concerns, (politely) make it clear that your employer does not receive notice until you sign an offer letter.

I assume this is normally done by email now? And do you normally have to send it back to them with your signature?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

What's the current etiquette on calling to confirm the status of an application? How long to wait, etc? Some googling is telling me "don't" which is weird because I hear anecdotally that you do better if you show the initiative and call them.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Not about resumes, but kinda related: 2 of 3 recruiters that have reached out to me have not returned my return calls. Is that common? Are there so many unemployed that if you don't pick up the first time, they don't bother trying again? Or is that a sign that these guys aren't on the up-and-up in some way?

Also, it sounds odd, but is it normal for a recruiter to set you up with a temp-to-hire job but be paying you instead of the employer? Is it just a means to screw you out of benefits?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

In an email for a job interview at a software company, they said "we dress fairly casual." Should I still wear the full monkey suit, or should I just have a button up or something? I know they say to dress for the job you want, but I also know the only people who wear suits in software are salesmen and applicants.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

taqueso posted:

What part of the country and what position are you applying for?

Cambridge, software.

e:

air- posted:

Go ahead and directly ask your contact what to wear. I've had some recruiters specify to NOT wear a suit.

It's someone at the company, not a recruiter, so I think I'm just supposed to take the hint. I am also asking a outplacement person I have for advice, and someone I know in the industry. So far, I'm thinking button up with no tie.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 9, 2016

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

If it's HubSpot, everyone will be in t-shirts and jeans.

It's not, but then I suppose that raises the question: is the goal to directly fit in, or is the goal to simply not appear overdressed?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

So I had been trying to keep my resume to a single page. To do that, I had removed my previous work history because it was outside the field that I am now trying to get into, making it more like a student's resume than a professional's. That part is fine except that I get people wondering what I did for 9 years. So I have built a version of the resume that goes top-to-bottom Skills / Education / Projects / Relevant work at the bottom of the first page, with the second page being Previous Work Experience and listing the stuff I did before.

The question is: should this be the version that is on the job sites to be seen? Or should I stick with the 1 page one? If I remember correctly, I've had three people being confused about my history when I talked to them out of 20-25 people, but that doesn't mean others weren't confused, they just didn't mention it. Is the taboo of multi-page resumes dead? I feel this format will let people ignore the additional pages if they want while keeping the important stuff on the first page.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I'm updating my resume, and this time it's before I want to leave my current job, just to have it done in advance. I re-read the OP, which was a massive help the last three time's I've updated my resume. However, something's hitting different when I look at my Windows 95 looking Word doc from the before times. I think what's changed is that I have now read like 12-15 peoples' resumes since then. I was seeing them as being part of the hiring process, but also a few ex-coworkers reached out to ask if I'd help since they knew I English good. Both were new experiences for me.

At least half if not more of them were two columns, with the main body taking up the 2/3s column, with the other for misc stats and personal information. The smaller column was almost always tinted in some way, sometimes in full color like blue or something, which I admit seems odd for something you might print. Of course, with all this formatting, I know that commonly you won't get the actual resume but a digest of the information within, particularly with a recruiter, but not every time since obviously the recruiter we worked with was giving us their normal unredacted resumes.

I know that the verbiage. the information, and the selling is more important than anything else, but if the hiring manager is going to look at this piece of paper for 20 seconds, shouldn't I take every advantage I can, especially if I'm in no rush? I looked up some templates and advice, but all the sites said was "1 maybe 2 pages, 10-12 point clear font, maintain spacing single or 1.5 line spacing" and nothing deeper about the "layout" for lack of a better term.

The OP doesn't cover this sort of thing. Is there any goonsencsus on the actual formatting of resumes?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

life is killing me posted:

It may be just the general “blah” feeling about the prospect of working for Zucc

I'm sure the spider that pilots the Zucc-shaped robot is quite charming in person.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

Look at it this way then. Someone ghosting a job offer is significantly delaying the runner up from getting the job offer, which sucks for them.

That's a pretty contrived way to make the job seeker into the bad guy. Also, they are literally competing for the job. They don't owe each other poo poo.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

whatever, gently caress them.

That's the spirit! That sounds sarcastic, but I mean that sincerely. You don't owe anyone anything except yourself. If they don't like it, well it sounds like you suddenly just gained a few more days off before starting your current position.

Also, my GF saw me writing this post and can't stop laughing at your forum name.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I want to ask about this bit from the OP:

Bisty Q. posted:

Tell me what I need to know about making a good resume!
  • Things that should never be on your resume, part 2: any "Objective" statement

So, if this is true, why does basically every resume template I find online have one of these? Is this advice from the OP still accurate? Or is it the hiring managers who are wrong, in patented Skinner-fashion?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Many of these resume templates have both an unlabeled section we could call 'summary' containing a job title and an explicitly labeled 'objective' containing English sentences. It's like:
code:
Full Name
Chocolate Teapot Maker

Objective: To make the darn best chocolate teapots in town!  And two more sentences for some reason?
It sounds like I'll just cut the objective and leave the summary.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

People are brutal to lawyer resumes man, I have no joke been told by the leaders of two extremely well respected local law firms that they throw a lawyers resume in the trash if they have typos.

Not a hiring manager or recruiter, but I was under the impression that absolutely any resume with a typo will be dumpstered.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I've got a question about the 'Skills' section of a resume for a software developer. I've seen some advice to not put too many skills on your resume (less than 15), as it makes it look like an eight grader trying to puff things up. Just put stuff you're pretty darn confident in. My problem is I spent the last two years working in different Azure technologies every few months, so I have some familiarity with a lot of things. Even if I stretched what I felt confident in, I don't know if going "Azure Fork, Azure Spoon, Azure Toothpick" is going to make the reader's eyes glaze over. I've seen strategies of listing things as levels of expertise but I don't want to do that because I'm an idiot and not an expert in anything. I might list concretely number of years of experience, but I feel that is going to feel kinda limp too since I only have 2+ years experience in anything that matters, since my previous job before this one was such a massive dead end for learning and growth.

How do I make this into a positive? Do I list the technologies anyway? Do I just put "X years Azure experience" and explain during the phone screen?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Lockback posted:

You can also adjust your resume based on what positions you're applying for.

Yeah, I normally do this, but I was re-writing it from scratch so I was trying to get a baseline, but I realized now after what Happiness Commando said that that isn't terribly necessary since I'll be redoing it most times. I'll just put them in a pile and try to make the skills jive with the keywords in the listing.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Crazyweasel posted:

Any thoughts on how to improve it, or feedback on my concerns above is appreciated!
Please Note: I'm not a hiring manager. I'm just a guy that has helped friends and coworkers write resumes, and has used the advice of this thread successfully in the past. Still, if anyone countermands me, just go with what they say instead.

Maybe you should consider de-emphasizing the education by putting it at the bottom and putting the professional experience at the top? That has to be much more important 9 years into your career than your time at Cheeseburger Stairs University, right? I also don't know if having specific honors of Manga Cum Laude or Valedictorian matter for someone so far in their career.

From a construction standpoint, the most important thing I can see is that you have mixed up tenses in your verbs. You have "Control" and "Execute" written in present tense mixed with "Minimized" and "Identified" written in the past tense. This makes it feel disorganized and harder to read. I would make them all past tense. It's a resume, not a job description.

Otherwise, your "action word" choices seem good except for a few: First one is "Proudly", which is an adverb, not a verb. I cannot imagine a hiring manager giving a single gently caress about how you felt about it. Just use "Led" or something, though you're already using that one and I like to not repeat myself if avoidable. Second one is "burnt down". It's a fine action word but if there is some dipshit HR intermediary drone that doesn't know the term "burndown chart" that may confuse them. (I'm sure someone will say every hiring manger will know what that means, but I have met some truly stupid sponges working in HR in my time.) Maybe switch it with "Reduced" or "Completed" or something more generic and then refer to the burndown chart in the body as a noun? If you really like it that way, then I guess you can keep it since it's not too bad, but I don't like it. The final one is "Proactively" which is less bad than "Proudly", but still not great. Make it an action phrase with something like "Developed a Proactive Chocolate Something Something"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

On a similar note regarding recruiters: What do you say when they ask if you're far along for some other position? So far, the 3 or so recruiters that asked I was able to honestly say something like, "I cannot give details, but nothing is particularly far along, so the odds of you wasting your time is not high." But if I do have a position that might work out and is in later stages, I'm not certain what to say. I guess just "I cannot say" or "I'm getting lots of recruiters reaching out and some have come before you, but who knows how it will go in the end?" Obviously for selfish reasons I would like them to not just ignore me in case their opportunity ends up working out, but I also don't want to lie by saying, "No, friendo, you're the only recruiter for me, baby!"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Why do so many recruiters want to talk before they send me a loving job description? Is there something I don't understand about this?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Any broad suggestions to the type of end of interview questions to ask a Director-level person? Are they any different than the normal questions to have in advance for a hiring manager? It's for a software developer position, if it matters.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Trickortreat posted:

48 applications in, it just occurred to me I should probably keep track of which resume I've been sending out. Whoops.

When I looked for work the last two times (both pre-pandemic), I did that and I found it very helpful. Now that I am primarily using LinkedIn for the search instead of going to individual websites, I am finding that to be harder to remember to do for whatever reason. But then again the messaging system will remember some things for me so :shrug:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Jesus loving Christ, TWO more recruiters this week who want to talk on the phone before they send me a loving JD. And they have the making GBS threads temerity to get upset at me when I tell them to stop loving wasting my time.

I'm literally starting to wonder if they're trying to check something discriminatory like listening to hear if I had an accent or something. It is essentially inconceivable to me otherwise.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Jesus, just got a message from the most incredibly rude recruiter on earth. I had questions that I wanted answered before we had a call, and eventually he got pissy and basically said I was wasting his time. No, motherfucker, you are wasting my time. You want me to be a candidate so you can make money. You need me. I don't necessarily need you. Without a candidate, you make no money. If I didn't have a recruiter, I could still eventually find a job, it would just be more of a hassle.

Also, turns out he's the loving president of the company, which has to mean that this is just some tiny shop that's just him if he's deigning to respond to these emails. I am seriously considering contacting the company directly and saying, "Hey, this is how your recruiter is acting, you might want to reconsider" and sending them the transcript.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Also this is why recruiters will Google you. Clean that poo poo up.

How does one clean up something like that sort of accusation? Unless you're talking "Right To Be Forgotten" laws or something.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Wow, does that boomer bullshit actually still happen? I know it's expensive to train and onboard people, but If they don't like it, what would they rather you do about it? Lie? Why even bother interviewing the candidate if you're gonna give someone a hard time over it? It's all there in black and white; just deposit them into the circular file.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Oh my loving god, companies that want references before even seeing a loving resume. Why don't you read the goddamn resume first before you force me to waste other people's time? In this case it wasn't the recruiter's fault; they just are doing what the dumbfucks wanted. Putting that prospect right into the trash; if that's how they treat candidates, there is no way they'll be respectful of my time as an employee.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Hey thread, long time jobber :rip: first time poster. Hoping to get some advice on my resume!

Just a heads up: I'm hot a hiring manager or an HR person. I've just read dozens of resumes as part of a team trying to hire people and have helped a few friends write them. So, feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt.

You're right that this doesn't really sell yourself very well. I can see that you have your action words in the present tense for your first job and in the past tense for you previous jobs. I think that they should all be past tense for clarity, but also particularly, to quote the OP:

Bisty Q. posted:

[*] The one weird old tip that your doctor hates, discovered by a mom that will set you apart from anybody else: your resume is a showcase of your accomplishments, not a rehash of your experience. You need to sell, sell, sell how you stood out in every single job.

Many of these read like tasks from a job description rather than accomplishments. So instead of, "Sold widgets to nuns" it should be "Increase widgets sales by 43% in 18 months by expanding market to nuns" or something. You may need some simple tasks to expound and clarify, but focus on what you did that was impressive that you did. This is why I suggest the past tense as well, since the accomplishments are inherently in the past.

Try to think about something you did that would impress a hiring manager in any field; some outside the box thinking, emergency solutions or other standout performance. Whatever it is, try and make it sound impressive without lying, but also keep it short to a sentence or so. Use concrete numbers if you can.

Unless there is something particular about the field of neurology I don't know, take out the college course names. Even if you were in academia, it was your job at that point, right? Meaning you've been in the workforce for at least 5 years and your experience matters more than individual classes. Just put the bachelor's, institution, and graduation date.

You say you're staying in Biotech, but how certain are you that someone reading this document will know these acronyms, particularly if that involves some dimwit HR drone? (present HR drones excluded, of course) I used to work for a biotech firm, and on my resume I personally spelled out Laboratory Inventory Management System but that is because I didn't stay in biotech so I couldn't rely on a hiring manager knowing what a LIMS is. However, I can also understand if the sentences would simply become too wordy if you expand them all out. Obvious exceptions are DNA, RNA, QA, QC, OSHA and SOPs.

lovely as it sounds, putting something about a diversity initiative you worked with may detract if extra-cautious departments are looking for excuses to discard resumes that may introduce legal risk. It's probably not worth doing.

Those are the high points I see. I'm sure others will offer their thoughts.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Round two, hopefully this is an improvement:

This is much better, and is probably going to need a better mind than mine to kick around much more. However, I did notice that a few of your trailing clauses had differing tenses. You said "Implemented(past) OSHA procedures, improve (present) safety communication, and foster (present)..." So those up at least clean those up first. You may have to read them aloud.

This is probably a matter of taste, but I also don't know if I like that sort of "enumerative" sentence (or lack of a better term), on a resume, especially if it goes above two items unless the terms are very simple. "Enjoyed drugs, tobacco, and firearms" might be okay but "Enjoyed dank weedy drugs, smooth tobacco from Virginia, and Soviet-era surplus firearms rammed full of play-doh" doesn't really sound great on a resume in my opinion; some may disagree. I prefer them to be "contingent" clauses with prepositions. So, something like "Implemented OSHA procedures and improved safety communication TO ..." or "Implemented OSHA procedures BY improving safety communication TO ..." This is much more art than science, but just imagine an incredibly disinterested, barely literate person reading this. Try not to inhibit clarity.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Covok posted:

Last one for tonight. This is based on the "simplify it" approach.

I'm not a hiring manager, just a software dev who has read many resumes and helped colleagues write them. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

You've been out of college for like a long time. Unless accounting is somehow different, no one cares about your master's GPA. Also, I have heard that you are supposed to only put your graduation date and not a range of attendance, but there might be disagreement on that out there.

"Job hunts" is too casual of a phrase for a resume, in my opinion.

On the small firm, instead of "myriad" can you possibly say "over X clients"? I believe your average hiring manager loves numbers, not vocabulary.

You repeat this "Prepared forms XXX, YYY, ZZZ" several times. I don't know if any prospective employer is going to care what you prepared at which job, just that you have a history with it. Could it be possible that this would be better served in some sort of independent section that shows that? Like, a software developer might have a 'skills' section that says, "Javascript, Typscript, Python, NUnit, Boostrap" in bullet points or columns or whatever. I've also seen sections like that for non-programming languages understood where you get "English, Spanish, Mandarin" etc. Monster.com has an example here: https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/sample-resume-software-engineer-midlevel So maybe like "States Prepared: XX, YY, ZZ." and "Forms Prepared: ZZZZ, AAAAA" or something? I'd probably have to see it to know if it looked alright.

These next two might be covered by that previous one, but are worth mentioning all the same:

You first section might be a little too long, but I do not know what the common wisdom is for a max number of bullet points.

It might be difficult, but I prefer to not repeat an 'action word' and certainly not within the same section. I feel it makes the accomplishments and tasks look smaller when the word is repeated, even if that is a bit silly.

Covok posted:

Oh, also, I am trying to get out of tax prep.

What are you trying to get into? I assume something like normal corporate accounting? Try to think about any previous accomplishments you made that might impress someone who is looking to hire for a position that you wish to fill, and highlight those.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Covok posted:

To be honest, the narrative thing flew over my head a bit. I tried to address it but I think I hosed up. I'll post what I made but I won't bother anyone anymore because I feel I am taking advantage of y'all. If there is a narrative and how things are transferable, I tried to make this version to show "how many clients and how much work I can manage at once, this is how much profits went up under me, I worked in all these fields, this is how many years experience I have."

Consider removing the recruiting and training lines from the first job listing, since it's in the qualifications already. If you really wanted to focus on that (in that you're trying to become a manager in your new world), you could leave it but make it a single sentence, and I'd put it after your achievements and duty descriptions.

I don't really love the large enumerative sentences in the qualifications, but I am not sure it would be better served with bulleted lists and/or columns because the terms are actually quite long themselves. Not sure how I'd square that circle. It's not the worst, I guess.

For the "Managed the accounts of a variety blah blah" section, for now you could leave it as it is, but then again if you apply for a position within an industry you already have experience with, you could consider changing your resume for that position to highlight that feature to try to make yourself appealing to whatever HR drone looks at your resume for 3 seconds. This does mean keeping track of resumes in your job search which is the biggest ballache, but it's probably worth it to take every advantage. You could have it say something like "Previous experience working with chocolate teacup manufacturing" or "Worked on accounts with one of nation's top 5 Glory Hole brands" or something.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Target Practice posted:

Okay I'm in my first job out of school, looking to make a change. I'm doing engineering and project management at a small engineering firm now, and am looking at a project engineer/management job at a huge multinational mineral/mining company. My brother, also an engineer, wants to put my resume in the hands of the hiring manager. I have some mining experience which is good. I have eliminated all my school experience as well as an internship at a company in an unrelated industry. I found a couple of job descriptions for other similar job postings for the same company and used those to help inform my resume. If these postings don't work out I'll tailor this to something else.

I had a hell of a time putting this together. It feels like I've done a million different things and it's hard for me to classify everything. I do much better in an interview setting where I can be affable and charming. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: sorry the image sucks my laptop is garbage and I've had a couple of beers so :shrug:

I can't go into detail right now, but I can say what I always say: universalize the tense of your action verbs. If they're past tense, make them all past tense. In your 2014 position you have some in present tense (Develop, Manage). I also like to avoid repeating action words, at least within the same section, if possible. Just don't get too deep into the vocab words, since it will be HR drones that are reading this.

And don't forget what the OP says:

Bisty Q. posted:

[*] The one weird old tip that your doctor hates, discovered by a mom that will set you apart from anybody else: your resume is a showcase of your accomplishments, not a rehash of your experience. You need to sell, sell, sell how you stood out in every single job.

If you can think of accomplishments, list them.

Also, is that 4 year gap due to going to school? I wonder if having your resume ordered chronologically might make it look better, but I don't honestly know one way or the other.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Target Practice posted:

Ugh the verb thing is I something thst I was trying to look out for, thank you!

My school/work history is problematic. The very short version is I graduated HS in 2003, and it took 15 years to get my BS. I had a learning disability diagnosis at 25 after getting kicked out of school for grades. I eventually figured things out, got meds, and got reinstated, but going to school and work was impossible for most of it.

That internship was right at the start of my engineering class work after getting things straightened out, but due to my getting kicked out I wasn't allowed to matriculate for a few years, which is why 2 years worth of school took between 2014-2018. Like I said I had a short internship from Januaryish 2018 to around May at a small manufacturing company (5 employees) that I omitted to keep my resume at one page. I also worked in student housing for a year-ish in there prior to 2014.

Speaking of school, I am very self-conscious about how my poo poo looks on a resume. I know they can't outright ask, but I'm 37 and only 4 years out of school. Both my parents went back after having kids but my wife and I don't have that as a reason. I worked extremely hard to get where I am but laid out on paper it seems super embarrassing. I don't know how to turn what is really my greatest accomplishment into anything positive. To me it seems I just look like a huge liability.

I actually also went back to school later in life. For me it was a bit easier because I simply never include anything older than my second college stint on my resume. It's on my Linkedin if people care about my bullshit white collar drone jobs. Maybe you could just skip the cement plant in rear end in a top hat, CA and just include that most recent job with as dynamite of a description as you can muster. That conceals the question of any so-called 'gaps' and also does not include any age indicators. Just call it your "Recent Work Experience" and elaborate honestly if they ask for more.

Also, if they are going to discriminate you based on your age, gently caress 'em. Someone out there won't.

Are people still using VBA/ Excel Macros?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Covok posted:

They were really focused on my Big 4 experience but it was only 1 year. It made things awkward because I didn't stick around for senior. Not really my choice in the matter. It got extra awkward when they asked and I had to mention that part of it was related to a toxic manager who was later fired for harrashment towards junior staff, especially women. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it but I thought I quit would sound worse.

https://www.rainn.org/news/you-left-your-job-because-sexual-harassment-what-now This page has some stuff talking about dealing with that sort of thing in the job search, and some of the advice seems similar to stuff I've seen around.

I hope your next one goes better.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Covok posted:

Phew, they got back to me today. My interview is for tomorrow.

You can do it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Covok posted:

Version A

Version B

Based on the advice, I made two versions. I think version A is better for my current job section. It's more focused on what I think a corporate accounting job would care about while not having any sentences or sections that are too long. Like, I dropped the sales data because that doesn't matter to a corporate accounting job and I greatly pulled back the tax info because most corporations outsource those functions.

In addition to the verb tenses that others mentioned, I don't know if I like starting with "Team Lead" (LEED, the title of someone who leads) because I kept reading it as "Team Lead" (LED, the act of someone who leads in the past), which was confusion. Keep it as an action word for clarity so either "Lead team etc" or "Served as Team Lead etc."

And yeah, I don't know if listing a million different industries is the best. Maybe you can put that in a block somewhere, in the same way a software developer might put their programming languages? OR you can just trim it to the 5-8 that sound most impressive to the prospect being targetted at the time.

Overall they both seem alright at first glance, might give them another look when I'm not on lunch.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

dpkg chopra posted:

If we're doing CV review do you guys mind if I post mine?

This is for contract manager positions which is a hybrid legal/operational role (doesn't strictly require a legal background but is good to have).

I mentioned it upthread, but I've lived and worked outside of the US, but with some US focus in my work. An international background isn't necessarily a minus for this type of role, but it does mean you have more to prove.

Edit: also, what's the consensus on adding a line for certifications I'm working towards?

Same warning I give everyone: I'm not a hiring manager; I'm a software developer who has read a bunch of resumes and helped a few friends and colleagues write them, including some not originally from the US. I tend to focus on words bullshit so forgive some mild pedantry.

I think you should consider calling them 'skills' instead of 'highlights' since highlights sounds more like career highlights, specific moments instead of tangible benefits you can provide. Also, make them shorter and punchier with as few additional clauses as possible. For instance, Negotiation and Strong Interpersonal Skills aren't really related so concatenating them doesn't really work.

Will someone reading this know what an AML or KYC are without being told? NDA is probably fine.

You mostly have good action words for your resume, but you have a few outliers.
  • You use "successfully" to start one of them; restructure that sentence to start with the word Litigated.
  • You use drafted 3 times. Like a novel, you don't want to re-use words if you can avoid it. Unless there is a professional reason the term 'drafted' is necessary, I would try and find other action words to start with, either by using a synonym like 'composed' or restructuring the accomplishment to start with a different word somehow.
  • "Key Player" isn't an action word.

Honestly, I don't like that first bullet "Key Player" in the Senior Associate section at all. I (the fictional HR drone) don't care if you've been praised for anything; I want to know what your rear end can do for me. So it should be something like "Completed first credit card etc etc etc" or something. The issue is I don't even really understand what this accomplishment is supposed to be.

Remember what the OP says:

Bisty Q. posted:

It sounds like that point is might be big standout in your career, but I can't tell by reading this.

I also like to organize my sections of accomplishments from "most impressive" to "medium impressive" for impact. They're going to mostly be looking at the top of each entry in all probablity.

Don't capitalize "subject-matter experts" unless that is the proper name of a company I've never heard of.

This is real nitpicky, but it's at the top, so: In American English, I think it's way more common to say 10+ rather than +10.

This house resume has good bones, though. A few more passes and you'll be in good shape.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

dpkg chopra posted:

Ok, v3. I really like this one, and also taking out the skills stuff and trying to move it to the experience, where relevant, helped me remember more relevant work experience which now conveniently fits in all the space freed up by not having the skills section.

This is already leagues better. The only nitpick I have is that I don't know if I like having the statements in the same bullet separated by periods instead of commas, but in these cases, they flow and read pretty well to my eye, so they are probably fine.

CarForumPoster posted:

I hire U.S. attorneys
Good call on U.S. citizen.

Regarding the US Citizen thing: This person almost certainly knows better than me, but I'll add what I've come across. Others can correct me or add their side of things.

Under normal circumstances, the advice I've heard and read is to avoid adding anything that could personally identify your race, gender, ethnicity etc as that might put you at risk of discrimination or just the overzealous discarding of your resume to avoid the potential jeopardy of a discrimination suit, etc. Unfortunately, the salient point is probably going to relate to your real name. If it's one that a dumbfuck white boomer would read and not immediately cast judgement on (like Joey or Jane Parker), then you might be able to get away with not mentioning it. If it's something they will recognize (like Miguel or Maria Hernandez) then you're probably stuck.

I know this sounds odd, but I became keenly aware of this sort of 'discrimination dancing' pre-pandemic when I helped an previous coworker with his resume. He's a US citizen but is originally from Africa, and his name is very unique stateside. So, though I suggested he might wish to remove an African Diaspora club from his resume to avoid potential discrimination, I also figured it wouldn't matter as much for him specifically because he is always going to be ice skating uphill because of his given name. We've all heard about those studies where they send "Jose Davis" versus "Joe Davis" or "J. Davis" and the more ethnic sounding names get way less responses, which is bullshit.

This all sucks and I hate that it's necessary for some people to consider and not others. That guy was a hell of an engineer, and it sounds like you're an accomplished laws-person and I wish that was enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

gently caress yeah! Happy to hear it.