Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solitair posted:

Has anybody tried to do an online read-through of Anderson's Dune books for the purpose of mocking them, or an in-depth analysis of why they're awful?

They tried and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mewse posted:

Lets have a big bonfire of all the lovely books :getin:

You can't do that! I only own Baru Cormorant on Kindle!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Despite the hundreds of books I've read, Bill the Galactic Hero is still my favorite book.
It's got so many things going on in it from FBI style entrapment plots, the eternal war military industrial mind-set/the deep state mentality, fake news, god-tier drunkness, military healthcare, relentless disses on Heinlein + Asimov back when nobody dared to mock Heinlein + Asimov, how religion is treated in the military, 7 inch tall enemy spies, etc........all while being classified as a mil-fiction book despite being secretly anti-war as hell once you actually read it.

military training

That's a hilarious name for a ship.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

You encounter a book written in the second person.

If you try to read it, turn to page 43

If you choose to ignore it, turn to page 210

I turned to page 210 and people were still talking about Wheel of Time then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

All these slams/references versus the 2nd person narrative in Leckie's Raven Tower read like Infocom text adventure messages....and make me want to play Infocom text adventure games.
Those games are crack-cocaine mixed with crystal meth.
Although reading a novelization of A Mind Forever Voyaging would be dope, novelization of Starcross kinda interesting, while a novelization of Trinity would be :shepspends:

Hitch-Hiker's Guide has a pretty good novelisation. :v:

Joking aside, I'd read a novelisation of The Lurking Horror or Planetfall for sure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I finished* the third Baru book today :unsmith: It will still need loads of editing but it's a nice milestone, especially after that stupid lovely second one took so many years.

Got a title yet? It's not finished until you have a title.

Re: FTL - my favourite quote on the subject is from Ray Bradbury, who simply said "There are rockets in my stories. You don't need to know how they work."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ben Nevis posted:

Got the new G Willow Wilson from the library and I'm hype.

GWW launched a new indie comic series either this week or last, if you didn't already know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

Emphatically no. Consider Phlebas was written a good decade before the other Culture novels and the tone is a bit different. Player of Games is the most frequently recommended starting point

It's also a frequently recommended stopping point. The Culture novels suffer badly from the presence of the Minds; they're too much of a restriction on the agency of the characters, and have all the problems encountered when a writer tries to create a character more intelligent than they are.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

David Gemell. If you want to read about a dude who solves his problems with an axe, Druss the legend is there for you.

Seconding Gemmell, and you should start with Legend. Be sure to donate your Abercrombie books to charity first, though, as otherwise you'll be burning them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Please don’t mail authors anything without checking in before, it’s frightening.

All we want is the title of Baru 3, we told you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I was wondering why Kadath was on the 1944 slate, but then I remembered it was published posthumously. Didn't think it was 1944 though.

General B - serious suggestion for once, but would The Devil work for book 3?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I seem to remember some good spaceship firing torpedo action in Dread Empire's Fall, but I can't confirm that it's a major part, it was some time ago.

There's a number of major space battles, yes. It's also interesting to see people developing strategies after being part of a navy serving an alien race that quashes all independent thought, has fought no genuine wars in centuries and whose sole tactic is planetary bombardment with neutron bombs.

(More accurately, it's interesting to see what happens when you take the US armed forces and cube them.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

this reminds me Williams is doing a new Dread Empire trilogy now!

I didn't know that, but I liked the first one.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the original editions of Dread Empire's Fall and the author preferred text?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of short story collections, I'm going through N.K. Jemisin's "How long 'til black future month ?" collection and goddamn these are good.

Do they peak just before White Future Month?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

xcheopis posted:

I'm so disappointed with the series that I don't think I made it past book six (six, ffs!). The ridiculous covers aren't helping.

The Book Barn › The SF&F Thread: so disappointed with the series I didn't make it past book 6

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

But then what would you call it? Pitchblende (not really accurate). You kind of have to assume that all words are really translations from some other language or something like that, it's part of the suspension of disbelief.

It's slightly jarring when the first book referred endlessly to tribadism. I assumed that was because lesbianism is named for Lesbos - although General B is welcome to correct me on that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I've never read any of the Honor Harrington books, but I'm getting the impression that having read Dread Empire's Fall I don't need to bother.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Megazver posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lensman_series perhaps? That's the biggest Golden Age of Scifi series I can think of.

I know it's been answered, but even having never read Lensman it became obvious when the planetary ping pong was mentioned. The series is infamous for its weapons escalation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Is it still running? It's fabulous but I remember some controversy between the writer/artist team.

Not unless it's the kind of controversy that revolves around going to their wedding.

Saga has always been published six months on and three off to allow Fiona Staples time to decompress. The book is currently on a one-year break so that BKV and Fiona can take some more family time. It's due to resume in August.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

IYKK posted:

The Lord Weird Slough Feg took their name from the main villain of the comic book Slaine. There's a possible recommendation for you, MockingQuantum, if comic books are your thing. Quite over the top and metal-y.

There's about fifteen volumes of it now, though, and while I do not think it too many the ones after the first sequence aren't numbered.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Welcome to any Lukyanenko ever.

I don't recall any of that in the Watch series.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Butcher has a Big Deal pub in the Dresden Files named McAnally's, after its owner, McAnally.

But that requires reading the Dresden Files. I got given the first one for free with a magazine, and don't know why anyone would read them if they could read Felix Castor or Rivers of London.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sibling of TB posted:

Oh man! I've been digging it so far despite the flak it's gotten here, but I'm 53% through it.

If there's one thing to hate about Kindles, it's the sudden burst of precision that has replaced "about 80 pages in".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fordan posted:

I'm not sure it's the new author so much as the new author coming in around the inflection point in the series where plot lines stop expanding and you start getting payoff. The series runs into an issue where there's so many plot lines to follow that you are jumping all over the place for different points of view that things seem to drag to a stop, culminating in Crossroads of Twilight which spends around a thousand pages covering I think around 48 hours in-world time.

Yeah, and don't think his fandom let it go. If you think you have a problem, you should have tried reading in real time. It was worse than Game of Thrones - not only did one character disappear for five years, books were still being published. Reading after the fact is a lot smoother because you can at least see how Jordan was doing what Martin has proven unable to do: writing himself back into position to finish the story.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

not enough to get Battuta a win

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's Masquercard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

Also, historical fiction is chill a lot of the time, so you could try rustling up some Edith Pargeter or something

If you're going to recommend Edith Pargeter, you should start with the Brother Cadfael Mysteries that she wrote as Ellis Peters. They're a series of stories set during the Anarchy about a former Crusader who became a monk and finds a talent for solving crimes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I’m in final substantive edits on Baru 3, there’s a lot left to do and it’s way too long but I think I’m gonna be happy with it in a way I really wasn’t with the second :shobon:

The Untitled Baru Cormorant. Or as we call it over here, The Untitled.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

branedotorg posted:

David gemmell would be a nice step from those ones.

You have to pick your series, though, and ideally the two main ones aren't read in either publication order or continuity order. If you're starting Gemmell, you either do the Rigante or Troy books first or you start with Legend and Wolf in Shadow then ask for advice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Groke posted:

This is the guy who fantasized out loud about wanting to punch Terry Pratchett.

gently caress that guy.

After Pterry was diagnosed with PCA, no less.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can reuse them short-term but you'd probably want to swap them out, if only because the vanilla bean would probably mold after a few days. The recipe makes one cup of coffee but it's *really* strong -- there's a reason they serve turkish coffee in tiny tiny cups -- and deceptively smooth for the strength.

I'm probably going to make klava again this weekend, it really is very tasty. My plan is to scale up and make a double or quadruple recipe using the same amount of wood chips / eggshells / vanilla bean and just let the shells and chips strain for longer.

And yeah it's just a fun project. The website I got the recipe from turns out to be a blog that tries to work out ways to cook various fantasy recipes from all sorts of fiction; they apparently sell a licensed Game of Thrones cookbook, etc. Probably a fun rabbithole to go down.

I've sometimes thought it might be fun one month to do a cookbook as Book of the Month but it'd be a matter of finding the right fun cookbook.

Is that Inn At The Crossroads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

sometimes when people are telling me a real hard luck story ("i got evicted without cause and am homeless now", "my workplace forces me to work 70 hour weeks via mandatory overtime", etc) i feel i must remind them of the true meaning of suffering

"i have read robert anson heinlein's The Number of the Beast" i tell them

And their nipples went spung!