Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Come to Hong Kong as an NET. Live like a king. Synertia can tell you all about that. You'll get paid like 50 billion dollars and get a free ferrari.

Maybe not that hardcore, but you'll do a lot better than working at some mainland 'university' that doesn't care whether or not you show up for work. Also you can hang out with Hong Kong goons and we're cool. Plus all the benefits of not living under communist jackboots.

The NET scheme is tough to get into, but it sounds like you're a for-real teacher with real qualifications, so you should be able to pull it off.

edit: we should probably put the NET scheme in the OP somewhere.

I have seen borderline non-functional human beings hold a NET job for years. You WILL do fine and you get paid a good amount of money. Only losers driver Ferraris, though. Look into Mazeratis or Bentleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

In other news, this is basically what my life in Hong Kong is like every day, so you should all try to move here asap.

How much does carrying a litter pay these days, Bloodnose?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

In the interest of good taste I hope someone steals that and dumps it in the bay.

I think the majority of filthy rich people in China have good taste as well as class.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Oh man, if Mongolia wants a boom in tourism they need to dye a bunch of horses like My Little Ponies, and build an Equestria resort.

We definitely need more of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4H8_4EhKRU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The Worst Muslim posted:

Seriously, this isn't funny. My grandfather died in WW2 at a concentration camp

he fell off the guard tower

Was the guard tower made out of dildos? Just trying out some Twitter material here, folks.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

caberham posted:

Man I'm sooo done with American suburbs even though it's a paradise to live in and raise kids.

I need to be back in my cloistered shoe box of hk and a subway

I want to live a life of mystery and adventure.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
All of this is a false construction as nobody has ever had fun at a Chinese banquet before.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

tacoman165 posted:

No, but you'll get to hang out with TWM unless he blows you off to get laid. Enjoy the youtube videos while you can.

edit: I saw Cut Chemist at Yugong Yishan and while the show was amazing he didn't go on until after midnight for a 9PM show (with no opening act) and I had to leave before his set finished cause it was like 3AM and I had work the next day. Wanted to see Peaches at the same venue but it was like 200RMB

200rmb for the teaches of peaches isn't too bad. Smashing Pumpkins here is like 450HKD.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

SB35 posted:

Girlfriend and I flew into Detroit, and holy poo poo, 9/10 people that work in that airport are enormous. She was simply amazed.

Then we ate Taco Bell.

I consistently have the worst experiences with security and staff at Detroit airport but they're probably upset because their city is lovely.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

This is true for Hong Kong too, though not quite as severe. I pay for this stupid 100mbps connection and the fastest I get for foreign downloads and stuff is 20m. Speedtest usually even shows me getting 50m. Liars and cheats, PCCW!

I get 10mb/s because I live in a village. PCCW is also RAISING prices for their already lovely product (here) they won't invest in out here. I literally have no other choice for an ISP.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Using that test I'm getting about 6.5 mbps tonight. That's awesome.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
They still give you free drinks at the hard Rock even if you are playing low stakes digital roulette.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

This is unacceptable and the primary reason I never eat at Cafe de Coral/Fairwood/Maxim. I'll never understand the Chinese way of stuffing a whole bony piece of meat in your mouth, sucking all the good stuff off and spitting the bone back out like a cartoon character. Why not just slice the meat off beforehand?

Then I see Chinese people at western restaurants eating ribs and chicken wings with utensils (or chopsticks :gonk:) and I feel like I'm in a Brendan Fraser movie.

A lot of the bad reviews I read about BBQ places here include the phrase "the meat just fell off the bone" as a con.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I used to teach Holes and I think it's a good one.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Hong Kong is already full of giant blocks like that. We even have a huge estate of like 50 blocks that's called City One.

Livin' the cyberpunk lifestyle here.

I lived in city one when it was cool. Now it's an overpriced hell hole for hipsters and newlyweds whose parents put down payments down for them. There's probably ok people there too, though.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Ok here we go.

One of my biggest beefs is people telling me I'm "wasting money" by renting an apartment and not buying it. Ok, not even considering the fact it's rude to presume somebody can "just buy" anything, it's also moronic that the two people who have said that to me cannot afford a house themselves. Mommy and daddy got it for them. This property market is probably the most insane thing I have ever seen. As an econ major I needed solid personal experiential evidence about required market intervention and this is it.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

I just can't believe nobody here gets it yet. There was some new ridiculous 'luxury' project that started selling in Hung Hom on Monday and there were still lines out the door to buy. This was mere hours after the HKMA said "please for the love of god stop buying things, the Fed is ending quantitative easing and you're all going to be poor."

Four "luxury apartment" complexes are opening in Yuen Long with the first, called The Reach (I think because it sounds like 'Rich'), almost finished. The traffic is already a nightmare in rush hour and then all the rich people coming in bringing more cars will make it worse. I will also be laughing when it crashes because owners planning on staying in their homes will at least have a mortgage they could afford before whereas greedy landlords and developers who are trying to flip quick apartments for a profit will be left weeping. I'll be loving it if I can get a decent place for 1.5 mil that was going for 4 this year.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Aren't all mortgages in Hong Kong adjustable rate though? Once QE stops and interest rates go up, there will be a lot of people totally hosed.

Ok, if that's true then the fact that the standard down payment is 10% is even more hosed up. What the hell are you paying for by putting down such a punishing amount of cash on the barrel if you can still have your interest rate ratcheted up at any time? I'm going to have a stroke here.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The Worst Muslim posted:

Is there ever a time where you don't sound like a sneering imperialist?

Also I think street layouts everywhere are pretty :psyduck:

Hong Kong island looks like the city planner's kid drew on his topographical map with a crayon just before he had a big meeting and he brought it in and said "Yeah this is what we're doing"

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

doomisland posted:

I sure am glad to arrive in Hong Kong right before a typhoon! Seems like most tourist things aren't open today unless its indoors. Any locals know if the bars will be open in wan chai or lan kwai fong?

Probably open and may even have discounts to attract business.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

GuestBob posted:

She probably won't swallow.

:holymoley:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

We don't have bonded warehouses, but you may be able to use facebook sometime in the future! Special Admin ZOnes. We're like Hong Kong but without all the spoiled brats.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Website posted:

No special access to banned websites at free trade zone in Shanghai

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/814044.shtml#.UkUI9Yb7Dcj

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
My village house is listed as 1/f, 2/f, 3/f with no Ground floor while every other high rise has a G floor. hosed up imo

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Why are the floors numbered at all? Is the house subdivided?

Yes most of them are unless you want to pay upwards of 18k a month mr. fancy pants

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

The news is saying it was a car crash that injured 39 people. :raise:

HK news reported a car crash, but you never know since it's communist friendly media backed by the shoe shining LegCo. :sparkles:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Edit: this isn't the CHina thread, poo poo.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Nah, it's just that there are almost always tricks to get where you're going and avoid the worst traffic, or at least minimize it. Protip: pay attention to where the cameras are and when you are cutting through traffic, plan your moves out far in advance so you're not just making pointless lane changes (like everyone else does). The side roads on the rings are also awesome if you use them with some strategy. I popped out to a client office the other day, 4th ring all red and yellow. About 15km or so, got there in under 20 minutes (including 4 or 5 red lights). So easy.

Planning more than thirty seconds ahead when determining what lane you need to be in has not been reached on China's tech tree yet.

HK driver: "Wow this lane is so slow ill move into the fast lane with 1km to my exit OHMYGOD MAKE WAY I'M CUTTING THREE LANES AND OVER THE PAINTED DIVIDER TO GET IN THE EXIT! I sure am a clever driver."

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

blinkyzero posted:

Synertia has your test results. He'll be delivering them shortly.

Looks like he's pregnant with a turd, boys.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
(bane voice) Actually (deep breath) Mao had some good ideas, too.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I thought you said 'seinfeld foreign cuisine restaurants" so nevermind.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
THESE PRETZELS ARE MAKIN' ME THIRSTY!

Haha just a Seinfeld joke there, folks. I guess if you havent seen that episode you wouldn't get it :/

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The Worst Muslim posted:

You sound like you can't handle it. Go home. Or somewhere else where there'll be more "bitches" for you to date rape. Also drugs in China, nice one man. Good to see you using big words too, so we don't mistake you for some kind of creepy dumb goon.

Choice quote:

"The chinese girls have not been as welcoming as i'd heard. I am tall, blond, young, and healthy. I never had problems...getting laid in America or Russia, but here it seems that I'm exotcized to inhumanity; i can spend a whole night having girls coming up to me asking for photos with me but any advance or invitation on my part is met with shock and hushed dismissal"

Here's a spoiler Because you're a loving creepy rear end in a top hat

[Fedora'ing intensifies]
[M'lady'ing intensifies]

edit: Oh yeah and look at you distancing yourself from 'undesirable' expats. You are one of those undesirable expats because you don't have a good personality. You're confused from seeking approval from different social groups. So sometimes you post as though you're some kind of jock "hell yeah loving nerds and their businesses, amirite?" and on the other hand you post like some guy who just crawled out of reddit "conversational fecundity, m'goon sire".

You're a stain, Almond Crunch. You're the sexpats that we talk about here. You're the creepy, balding 40 year old who goes to clubs every weekend to try to force some poor girl on your lap. Give it a rest.

:mrgw:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

People are replying to TWM unironically?

He's done it again.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

No - because a lot of the people here are loving juvenile in their outlook on a number of things.

I recently turned 34 :corsair:

How does it feel to be close to death, Bad Astronaut?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I know a guy who was in a club that got tear gassed in Shenzhen. Sounds like a good time.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I keep saying welcome to the party pal like Bruce Willis in die hard to spider jelly but I know he can't hear me

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

*points at crotch*

drat..

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

MeramJert posted:

I've just reported all of you for LANposting in T&T.

Ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

simplefish posted:

I can't tell if you mean the airport or the city but it applies to both.

lol