Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

DEMAG posted:

Subject C:
C wanted to buy a new truck. Cool, his finances are pretty straight he's living comfortably and doing alright. So he got himself a purty new truck. :c00lbutt:

When he brought it in I asked him "So how did you finance it? July usually has 0%, it's a great month to buy a new car." He looked at me puzzled and said he financed it through his bank. He then asked me "What do you mean financing at 0%, you can do that?" He financed it for 5%. He thought that financing through the dealer was just a big scam and that is why they have the incentives, to lure you in (I never got an explination as to why exactly it's a scam).
I've never bought a car that wasn't 0%, gently caress the man. :smug:

I just can't believe you would buy a car without any research or even just looking at the dealers ads. I bet the salesmen were high fiving each other after he walked out.

ALOT of people think like this for some reason.

It's usually true for second hand cars where the financing is through some crappy third party like GE for Capital Finance, but for brand new cars it's pretty hard to beat the dealers these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

spwrozek posted:

The real question is how would it ever have worse specs.

Happens all the time at the local mom and pop shops, they buy the latest at wholesale prices, can't sell it quickly so just ends up just sitting in the window until someone as dumb as enraged_camel's uncle comes along and forks over the full RRP from 3 years ago for it.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 31, 2013

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

We have had several informal family discussions and its just a plain mystery.

Well it's not really, money just doesn't disappear for no reason.

Maybe it's more of a positive thing, like she's putting a lot away for retirement?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

We have stopped loaning money, I think she realises the gig is up because she does not ask us anymore (I can speak for my siblings), however she has pulled a swifty on my wife by coming to visit, we live eight hours away, and then admitting she does not have the money to get home. Its hard to turn your mother down and she went through hell raising the three of us as a solo mother in the 80's so I tend to deposit any decent sums of cash I get into a term deposit account that I cant access on short notice.

Oh yes, no ones going to let her starve, but its building a lot of resentment that someone on an enormous income is (was) constantly borrowing from her kids that are starting families and trying to get off the ground in a depressed economy. You have piles of cash and ZERO living costs.. you should be loving rolling in dough!

Bonus story!

I had $3000 in a secret bank account to keep it safe from her, the statements were going to my uncles house and he knew what I was up too.. then one day she hit him up for a loan and he turned her down.. and then told her I had the money. (The circumstances were so bad for her that if I said no she was out on the street, so what could I do once she knew I had the loot)

Yeah OK, you need a money intervention, cause she obviously has problems beyond being just plain bad with money.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Kate Hate posted:

My mom is a huge fan of Rent-A-Center/Colortyme/Aaron's/all stupid rent to own bullshit stores. I try to tell her that she could just save the drat monthly payments she would make on a couch or whatever and go out and buy one, but she still keeps going back. I've never been to one of those stores before and I don't see the appeal. I guess I don't have that "but I want it NOWWWW" trait that their customers have.

I don't konw what it's like in the USA, but here in Australia, every major furniture store will have a "36/48 MONTHS, NO DEPOSIT, INTEREST FREE!" sorta deal. They're tricky, you have to know EXACTLY what you're getting into to make the most of it, but I don't know why you would even consider renting poo poo when you can do a interest free deal. My Fiance and I used one to get the basic furnishings when we first moved out of home ages ago and in the end it only cost us about $50 more than RRP over a year in account fees and gave us the ability to get the stuff now without having to lay down thousands in cash.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Old Fart posted:

Well, it wasn't just the wedding. Dress was like $600, ring was moissanite, and ceremony was at the courthouse. Reception cake and flowers were a few grand, photographer was $1500, lodging for a week was another grand (she lived in one city, I in another, and the ceremony was in my "home town"), plus flights and rental car, we took people to a baseball game instead of rehearsal dinner, took a couple small trips, and then another $1500 on moving me and my stuff to her city in another country. Adds up in a hurry.

$10,000 seems pretty decent to me.

We're doing a very simple ceremony+reception at the same place, and that alone is near $10,000 for 80 guests minimum. You can EASILY add in a dress at $1,500, a $1,500 photographer and $1000 in rings.

Weddings are loving expensive poo poo.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Lightning Zwei posted:

However, people born into poverty who choose to value their own educations and are ambitious enough can break out of poverty and rise above their surroundings.

This is wrong in so many ways. The bottom line is education costs money, and even once you get educated it doesn't go anywhere near guaranteeing you a job to pay for it in the end. There's plenty people with degrees working minimum wage jobs who prove this.

I worked my way through University, but the only reason I could is because I live in Australia where the government gave me a zero interest loan on my tertiary education (and heavily subsidised it before that) and didn't want me to pay them back until I was earning a wage in the 40k+ region.

Switchback posted:

I was as good a liberal hippie as the rest of us here. Went to a liberal arts school where we discussed these institutional problems and how it's not their fault! The system!

Then I worked offshore, followed by moving across the world. Offshore, you get people from Philippines/Malaysia/wherever that work twice as hard as the white people, they make an order of magnitude less money (literally), and are on a boat away from their families for 11 months out of the year. They have better attitudes than the European assholes on board that bitch about everything, but get equal time off and double salary plus hazard pay.

It's all about some perspective... on this planet, if you want to work hard, you can. I have little sympathy for this "but the institution!" card. The American Dream is very much alive, you just aren't entitled to it. It requires a lot of hard work.

I work in an industry that relies on alot of imported labour because it's hard, dirty, disgusting work, and yet we get Asians on work visa's here who are from well off families that pay for everything, they buy them cars while their here and give them as much spending money as they can spend, and yet these workers still volunteer for every extra hour of overtime they can get and they bust their balls all day every day and ask for more at the end of it. Meanwhile the Australian workers are calling in sick every second day and doing just enough to keep their jobs.

You don't know it until you see it, but it really is just a totally different mindset.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Guni posted:

I work at a bank in Aus and let's just say that tradies are either loaded or so far hocked up to their eyeballs that their accounts go into the negative every week, it's pretty amazing considering a lot of them would easily be on 70-100+k a year. I think it stems from a large mentality in the industry is to have a fulli sik stereo or spend a shitload of their paycheck at the pub and the like.

Also houses, every tradie that works in mining has to own at least 2 nearly brand new houses.

They're cheap to build if I get mates rates on everything because I know alot of other tradies right?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

MrKatharsis posted:

If you crash the car tomorrow, what happens to all the money you paid up front? Do you get it back? How does that protect you from risk?

Why wouldn't you have insurance?

Hell, I bet just like a car loan where the car is the security on the loan, they won't give you the keys without proof of insurance.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

The person's post mentioned they had an abusive family member who violated a restraining order, and they got a name change with the court order having been sealed so the abusive family member couldn't find the new name.

Universities will reissue degrees and update their records if you send them a marriage license or court order. But this person feels that their family member is that big of a donor that the student records office would recognize the name and go "oh hey isn't this Uncle Abusey McPennybags' nephew?" and tip them off on the name change.

Surely if that did happen there would be some pretty severe legal repercussions for the school?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Foxhound posted:

I know it's not strictly in line with the thread, but here's a video of some idiot who tries to push MLM on Dragon's Den. The interesting/horrible bit is how convinced he seems to be that it's a solid idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrwwC6KuS7Y

Ok, so I'm 1 min in, but is he really trying to sell the MLM to the dragons and not just investing in his company?

EDIT: Hahah, oh poo poo, he really is, this is loving great.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 7, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

http://news.msn.com/in-depth/colonel-now-living-out-of-his-van

A retired colonel with 30 years service, who receives a yearly pension of 40k and worked as defence contractor for 5 years afterwards is homeless and living in his van.

The story tries to spin it as a 'poor troops' story, but there's no comparing your typical homeless vet with a goddamned full bird.

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

quote:

Between spells on the couches of friends in multiple states, he sleeps occasionally in motels and other times in the dented blue van.

Because I mean all homeless people stay in motels when they can't find a couch to sleep on right?

They also can afford to travel around multiple states to find that couch too.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Bisty Q. posted:

The cashier's check he flashes at the beginning loving says "NON-NEGOTIABLE" on it :psyduck:

I've never seen a cheque that doesn't.

Doesn't it basically just mean whatever details written on it are final basically?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Bisty Q. posted:

:what:

Non negotiable on a check means it isn't a valid check.

I guess it's something different here, I always thought it basically meant the person it's made out too was the only one that could bank it and only in the full amount.

EDIT: Yeah, seems here in Australia it means something totally different, I just checked with an accountant here at work (slow day), apparently it caused quite a problem for us in the past when we had to send out a few cheques to our US customers for refunds and at least one of them couldn't bank it and had to be re-issued without the usual "Non-Negiotable" written across it.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 10, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

So yeah, talk away, spread information around. The only people you're helping by staying quiet is upper management.

Depends what your co-workers are like, it could also turn into a lot of resentment between co-workers that could create a bit of friction in the workplace.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

froglet posted:

He's going to be so hosed when the Australian Tax Office is notified as similar actions to his in the past have lead to gaol time.

Hahaha, that guy is hosed big time.

Surely you have to think it's not a good idea when the company looking after the paperwork and legal side of it instantly drops you like a rock.

For the rest of the world, the money in the super account is basically a managed investment fund. This guys probably thinks it's OK because it's his money anyway, but in reality the law sees this as a investment fund manager taking their clients money to buy themselves a car and pay a rental bond.

Also pretty sure every super fund is supposed to be audited yearly with one of the main purposes being to make sure that the money is actually being spent in a way designed to generate a positive return, so it's not going to take them long to figure it out.

EDIT: That thread is from 2 years ago? Is there a payoff for going through it?

Rudager fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 9, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

baquerd posted:

I'm not only in tech, I'm in high finance. The prevailing attitude around here is that if you're in a low-income job, you deserve it and need to deal with the consequences. I want to stay kind of liberal, but from where I'm sitting a retail worker or a social worker either made a choice to not have significant income, just wasn't good enough to compete in a capitalist economy, or was too stupid to see where their choices would lead. Let's face it, if you're an American born whitey, you already had way more advantages than any of the immigrants who are taking your job in retail, and social work was only ever the sinecure of people with more righteousness or idealism than sense.

Good thing there's an infinite number of jobs like yours for everyone who can work as hard as you.

I find it hard to believe that you are where you are purely because you chose to have a significant income at some point in your life.

I can also bet you there are 10 people out there who work harder, and are more skilled than you are, that can't get into a position like yourself because of a random event they couldn't control happening to them.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 20, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

fruition posted:

Life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean we should drat the successful people and champion a victim mentality. Life isn't fair but it's all about choices and what you do with what you're given. I also didn't come from money, and I'm the first person in my entire family on both sides to get a college degree. I made the smart choice and took out loans (gov and private) to obtain one of the most difficult undergrad degrees you can pursue because I knew that I'd have a job waiting if I did what I had to do. I knew it was going to suck dick and I knew I was going to have 40k on my back right out of school, but I made a smart choice. I had thousands of peers who all came from better families and more means than me, and they made horrible degree choices and now they're going to suffer the consequences. Who's fault is it that they studied art history or English? Luck had nothing to do with those choices.

I don't drat someone for being successful, I drat them when they wander along and announce that anyone who's poor just simply didn't choose to be successful, like it's a hard set yes or no choice you get to make the day you hit 18. And then I drat them some more when they get questioned on it and they go on about how they did it while admitting luck played a factor.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

baquerd posted:

It's not that straightforward. Look to the analogy of NFL players - how loving simple is it to run a ball down the field and not get tackled? It's a hell of a lot easier than social work in principle, but somehow our society pays people who can do this really well hundreds to thousands of times what a social worker makes. Somehow, what seems simple on paper is actually incredibly difficult and can only be achieved by a small minority of people, and these people get paid for it.

What does it take to be an NFL player? Genetics plus a poo poo ton of hard work. What does it take to be an all-star programmer? What does it take to be a lovely programmer/football player that nonetheless gets payed well?

Now, what does it take to be a loving amazing social worker? I would think that it takes more than either NFL or software development, but somehow the compensation just isn't there. Someone who is capable of achieving that level of performance just doesn't do that because it doesn't make sense in a capitalist society.

Therefore, social workers are either intelligent badasses who are poo poo with money, or just not very good at what they do.

You seem to completely ignore that having those genetics and putting in that hard work still doesn't put you anywhere near close to guaranteeing you a place on a NFL team.

Same with your development job, you said yourself luck played a factor.

Also you really are a piece of poo poo.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

The thing with YouTube money is it's fleeting. No way are you going to stay popular for 30 years in such a way that you can save for retirement or plan a budget like you would with a normal job.

Not only that, but it seems the people who do make something off it put in seem to have to put in significantly more time for every dollar they make compared to a basic 9-5.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Never thought I'd see someone in the Business, Finance, and Careers subforum defend quitting a software engineer job to go play video games full time, but here we are.

No-one's defended that guy. It's the "pay for watching someone play video games".

I watch more streams than I do TV, I haven't donated to a streamer ever, but I don't see why paying someone who's entertaining you is bad with money. The only difference I see when compared to paying to watch cable TV, or a movie at a theater, is that donations to streamers are for the most part entirely voluntary.

And with just about all of them if you subscribe for $5/month they give you a bunch of added benefits as well.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TLG James posted:

Car Max is pretty much the price is the price store.

Also, a ton of dealerships participate in those no haggle pricing things online. I bought my car through American Express's car buying service. No haggling. Tells you how much they allow you to put on credit card too.

Maybe it's different in America, but buying a car with a credit card sounds like something that would belong in this thread.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Playing a sport professionally requires a ton of back-breaking and intense practice, insane physical and mental discipline as well as regularly putting your body in danger and risking early burnout or even lifelong injury for other people's entertainment. That you would compare the practice of watching someone play video games on youtube in a valiant but misspent effort trying to recapture the feeling of playing video games with your friends as a kid to the people who work their asses off to play professional sports for the public's viewing pleasure like modern gladiators is insulting and you should absolutely rethink that comparison. The only danger an LPer risks is loving carpal tunnel.

How about you waste your money on things you like and I'll waste money on things I like and we don't get angry at each other for having different tastes and opinions?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

RommelMcDonald posted:

I imagine staying the weekend in a hotel, if you can get one for the prices BigDave is quoting, can be a nice break from room mates.

Just imagine. Someone else cleaning up for once while you're away.

Like a cleaner who would cost significantly less if you spit the bill with your roommates.

While living with 3 other guys at University who were even lazier than me, we used to get a lady in twice a week who would do everything from clean the place to do our laundry. It was definitely worth the $50/week each it cost, it seems high, but we never cleaned the place, we never washed dishes and we never did any of our own laundry. She did it for us, some other 4 person household and just cleaned another on the spare day, she was making a cool $1k/week cash money.

We were probably terrible with money paying someone to clean up for us because we were lazy slobs, but she definitely had it figured out making that sort of money doing basic household chores for manchildren.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Guinness posted:

Ok I know reddit is almost too easy, but holy poo poo this guy:

25% APR car note on a car he doesn't even use and a rent-to-own bedroom set that's going to end up costing him 4x the original purchase price. He's literally paying 20% of his gross (over 27% of net!) income on an unused car and loving bedroom furniture. Loan-shark interest rate aside, he took on a $400+ car note on 40k/yr and judging by the total lack of financial awareness probably got rear end reamed on the price.

Just... how? I'm speechless.

I mean, good for him for wising up to how hosed he is and wanting to turn it around, but goddamn it took this long?

You missed the important part

quote:

pay off my student loans that are in default before they garnish my wages again

He sounds like on of those people who never learns.

Who the gently caress in their right mind thinks a "rent to own" where you pay over 3x the cost of the goods to even get the point of owning them is a contract they should sign. I mean, just check craiglists for some cheap poo poo.

The one saving grace is that his income is barely over his expenses, so he at least might be able to make an effort.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

corkskroo posted:

Why do people spend student loans on something other than tuition, books, and basic living expenses? Do people spend mortgages on something other than a house or car loans on something other than a car? ... Don't answer that...

Well the bank isn't taking an interest in it like they would for a car/home loan for one.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

:stonk: Redit personalfinance really is a goldmine.

I love the "±$55,000/yr" because you know there's no way it's going to be over $55,000, but it's definitely under it.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

I'd send an anonymous email/letter to the girl and tell her the truth.

Come on now, this isn't a movie, why is she going to trust an anonymous letter over her mother?

It sounds like it's well ingrained into her now and even if she did learn the truth, it wouldn't change much. And you still have to be a special level of arsehole to act like that, even towards someone you don't like.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

froglet posted:

That said here in Australia not saving for retirement isn't quite as much of a problem as we have mandatory retirement savings in the form of superannuation. Currently 9.25% of your income has to be sent by your work into a special account you can't touch which is then invested. It's why our economy has don so well - because everyone of working ages in the past 20 years has been invested in Australia.

Also the government co-contribution schemes which I think they should have pushed it a lot harder onto <25's while they're below that $45k upper income thresh hold, match their extra $500/year now while they're a low income worker and it'll be $10's of thousands by the time they retire, which would be saving the government plenty of money in pensions in 50 years time.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

fruition posted:

Wow gently caress you Aussies why did I have to be born in the U.S.?

But seriously though, you have a perfect free healthcare system that doesnt abuse its nurses, your employers pay 10% On Top of your salary for your retirement, your minimum wage is like 50k/year, and your real estate keeps going up and up and up..

How is it all sustainable?

e: And you have Kangaroos, Platypuses, and instead of mass shootings you have mass stabbings. Truly have it all.

You might be getting in a bit late now, the current PM seems to be hell bent on getting rid alot of that stuff. To start there's now no 100% free healthcare, it's now a $7 co-payment to see a doctor, luckily it's not going down well with the general population.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

Don't look into how much we pay for interest on the federal debt, and unlike Iraq and Afghanistan that's not going away.

Well speaking of governments bad with money and the new Australian budget, you guys should get yourselves a debt levy on the rich like we are, don't forget to leave a comically huge loophole in it for them to exploit though.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

Wait you can buy ring insurance that covers losing it? That seems like the most easily defrauded insurance ever...

Yeah, isn't ring insurance more of a "if you scratch it or a diamond falls out, we'll cover the cost to fix it! (as long as you supply the diamond that fell out)".

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Rick Rickshaw posted:

fake edit: Also, yes....where do you live/work where you get paid out for sick time?

Happens to me in Australia, the company gives you the choice to cash out anything over the legal 10 day minimum usually first week of December just in time for Christmas.

I also cash out holidays every now and then too since I'm boring and never take time off. Here it's required by law to provide 4 weeks of paid leave that accumulates indefinitely, and as long as both parties agree, can be cashed out instead. It's also nice when changing jobs since it all has to be cashed out, I got about 350 hours cashed out last time I changed jobs which was handy to pay for the moving expenses while moving 300km away.

EDIT: Although, cashing out the holidays is probably bad with money since if I use them I get a 15% (or somewhere around that) "Leave Loading" on top of my regular pay, but they don't pay the extra 15% if you cash it.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 7, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Suspicious Lump posted:

That's really interesting because I thought leave loading was paid on acquired leave not taken leave. Check your EBA wording.

Pretty sure that was the case last time I did it, it makes sense though since the 15% is supposed to cover the lost chance at overtime while you're away, so if you're cashing it out you're not going to lose that chance at overtime.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

It is kind of weird. They could buy the house in borrowed cash for 70k, get a buyer for 100k(presumably a prearranged one, perhaps the same person who lent them the money), pay back the 70k, and then turn around and buy the house right back for 100k from them, putting the 30k difference down. Something in my logic has to be wrong here but I can't tell what it is.

My only assumption is that the assessment isn't lowered by the fact that it sold for less than 100k at auction.

Unless the guy who buys it off you for $100k is in on it, why wouldn't he just keep it? And if he's in on it, then why doesn't he just gift you the $30k?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

You're both bad with money!

Well, we don't know what the roommate was doing with that money, maybe they're the ones good with money.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
If serious (which I doubt a lot considering the thread title), the bank has a record of everything you do with it, so there's no running.

Serious: I, and I'm sure a lot of other people have too, transferred money to the wrong account due to a typing error. When I asked the bank to fix this they said they could kindly ask the person to transfer it back, but not much more because it was a direct deposit. They ignored that request and I lost a few hundred bucks. This was in Australia and about 10 years ago though.

$760,000 sounds like a business transfer though, and they will gently caress you over every which way they can if that's the case.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 6, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

MrKatharsis posted:

I would not marry a person who insisted on a 5-figure wedding. Y'all have mental problems.

If you want something that's more than a BBQ in a backyard (don't get me wrong, I have no problem with that), you'll be struggling to do it under $10k.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Florida Betty posted:

Only if you insist on inviting everybody you know.

I dunno we had 80 pretty easily. There were about of our 10 friends and the rest was all family. Parents, siblings, aunts uncles and first cousins, add in a +1 for the majority of them and it adds up quicker than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Even planned, its bad with money. If I was saving and could afford it and had it all planned out that I was going to take a bath in $3500 a can Caviar, and blow $60k, its still bad with money. Its money that could have went towards other things like..feeding people.

I hope you live on rice and steamed beans only, anything more is a waste of money.

And what are you doing on the internet? That's a frivolous expense if there ever was one!

• Locked thread