Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Going to a big home-cooked family holiday meal, and not bringing a bunch of empty tupperware, is Bad With Money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Devian666 posted:

Then students in the US are completely hosed. That's your future house gone as well as any chance of not being a debt slave for a social studies degree. With a choice between reverse mortgaging your life or becoming rich by being a plumber the choice is easy.

Oh it's completely hosed all right. It's not such an easy choice though when the only narrative out there is "go to college to get a good job", and the trades are looked down upon as poo poo work for dumb people.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is the guy that pissed me off the most.

wisconsincheese posted:

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Anyway, I earned those shares, I bought most of them at around 3 before anybody even heard of sapphire screens, because I did my DD and understood their R&D efforts and that 2014-15 would likely lead to huge things and their technology would have value over time even if solar was in the tank. To invest basically all your net worth in GTAT at 3 when the stock is cratering and people are talking bankruptcies took some serious cojones but I knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would kick myself forever if I didn't go all in. Might have been slightly reckless and against all known investment strategies but with big risks, comes big rewards.

Anyway, it is not me you should be jealous of but my mom whose account I manage and has around 415k shares and probably doesn't know GTAT is on the Nasdaq. I have to set up separate accounts for her GTAT holdings so she doesn't see all her positions at once as she has been telling me to sell for it for more than a year and I have to keep telling her to wait and hide exactly how much of her portfolio is GTAT so she doesn't flip out about it.

He went all in with his mom's portfolio, knowing full well she'd (rightfully) flip her poo poo if she knew he'd done it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I have a cousin that lived on a houseboat for several years, but that was in perpetually sunny Long Beach, CA. He saved a bunch of money during that time, so it was pretty GWM (and GWWomen too). Starting a career as a traditional 2D animator in the early 90s was pretty BWM though (although he did work on Space Jam and Futurama, so that's cool)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My parents just converted a few thousand US dollars into pounds two days ago for an upcoming trip this weekend. Oops!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The value-add is being able to test drive multiple makes and model of cars within your price range. I agree you should be able to buy direct from the manufacturer if you want, but dealerships will always have a use.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I have an aunt and uncle that did that. Five kids, all within a six year age span, and all went to the same (good) state university. They bought a duplex when the oldest started, and all five kids lived there with various combinations of roommates. Sold at a nice profit after the youngest graduated.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Too obvious, needs to be an accident that totals the truck. Maybe he has gap insurance? Does gap insurance cover negative equity rolled into the loan?

My sister probably deserves her own BWM thread. Rather than fix the brakes on her hand-me-down Subaru that was in otherwise great shape, she decided she needed a new car. So without consulting anyone, she went down to the dealer and ended up buying an ex-fleet Mazda 2. At 19% interest on a 72 month loan. She was on the hook to pay over $23k on a car with no cruise control, no power windows and 60k miles that only cost around $13k brand new. I had to explain my horrified reaction to her.

Several months later, she got t-boned pulling out onto a highway. The only thing she (inadvertently) did right was say yes to gap insurance while she was saying yes to everything else the dealer threw at her. She wasn't hurt, but the car was totalled, and gap insurance covered the huge difference in value. She swears to this day that it wasn't intentional, but I still have my doubts.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Was she found at fault for failing to yield while merging? Either way I'd expect her rates to skyrocket.

Actually the other driver got cited for exceeding the safe speed limit, she somehow managed to get the best possible outcome.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Phone posted:

The Mazda2 Sport didn't come with cruise control, so I don't know where you're pulling no power windows from.

It's criminally BWM, sure.

I'm just going off what she told me, I never rode in the thing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I got my LASIK done in 1998, which ended up being very GWM. I had just started employment with state government, during the final month that our insurance covered the LASIK procedure with only a $100 copay. Still have 20/20 vision nearly 20 years later.

BWM version: My (now) wife was also a state employee at the time, but was too scared to get the surgery. She has spent thousands on glasses and contacts since then.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was 22, near-sighted with an astigmatism, and my vision had been slowly but steadily declining since I first got glasses as a child. I haven't noticed any drop off in my vision since then.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think he'll be in for a surprise when he tries to get an unsecured personal loan for $12k on that income.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think a lot depends on where they live. In some parts of the country they could find a decent little place in the $50-75k range, which would be fine with that income and down payment. Some credit card debt, but not too out of hand. Her credit score is too low for FHA lending though, probably traditional lenders too I'd imagine.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Do they have two homes? I see lines for both mortgage and townhouse.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Even better GWM is marrying a girl whose father raises just enough cattle to keep all of his kids freezers full year round.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Foxes are practically begging to be domesticated. This is the perfect time to start a therapy fox business.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

cowofwar posted:

It's Mr and Ms unless you know otherwise but best bet is to not call anyone Miss ever.

I will call my cat Miss Fancypants if I want to!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Either he's incredibly offputting in interviews, or he lives and is exclusively looking in a severely economically depressed area, or both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULqAIbjCsXE

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

NancyPants posted:

It's not hard to maintain a respectful gym environment with staff that know what they're doing if they're empowered by management/ownership to actually remove problems, but that costs money in the form of paying good help and isn't easy to see right away. The light and siren help the casual users feel safe and cozy. It's a marketing gimmick and the managers drank the koolaid because it makes them feel like they have some agency in the world.

I don't understand why they even have free weights. They would be better off just sticking to machines since that is obviously the market they are targeting.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yeah I certainly can't argue with the general life advice of "inherit valuable things", it's an age old model of success

And come from a very small family. I think some of my 20+ cousins and siblings might have objected to my snagging Grandma's ring.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

So "no" if it matches my experience on laptops and operating systems. Gotcha.

Apple is not a good comparison. Harley makes very lovely motorcycles.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tiny Deer posted:

My luxury companion animal isn't a dog, but isn't making GBS threads on themselves one of their top favorite activities? BWM, GWD (ogs).

I had a dog that loved to sneak turds out of the cat box. GWM saved on litter and dog treats.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

what do you guys think are the best most important tips to not be bad with money

tipping is bad with money

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

thank you for the advice.

i always read that its actually more harmful to stay at one place of employer more than 10 years is that still true?

They are loving with you. Basically the opposite of everything he posted is true.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

NancyPants posted:

If you have to commit identity theft against your spouse to open a credit card partially in their name, there's far more going on than "trust issues" but hey what do I know.

I too think you should beat the poo poo out of your wife for something like that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

EDIT: I mean it's possible the HSA doesn't do anything based on the merchant code but :psyduck: they're going to have a fun time when the compliance guys come in and ask why they are letting people buy gas with their debit cards.

Yeah, I'd like to know how that's even possible. I had to send in documentation three times over just to prove that my charges from St. Elizabeth Hospital were actually medically related.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

C.H.O.M.E posted:

But if they aren't actually that person, the effort to identify that person obviously wasn't effective. There is room for better consumer protection here.

I'd hope that most people aren't willing to give up their biometric data in the name of "consumer protection".

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

Business, Finance, and Careers › Bad With Money - I BOUGHT EVERY HORSE I'VE EVER SEEN

Living the dream.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not a Children posted:

$550 a month on weed

Can someone familiar translate that to a relative quantity for a non-stoner?

Roughly two ounces, depending on quality. Enough for two people to get really stoned every single day of the month easily.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Powerlurker posted:

The other fun one is the people who leased the solar panels on their roof and now have trouble selling their house because buyers aren't stupid enough to take over their lease when prices for panels started plummeting.

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/la-fi-harney-20150322-story.html

I watched a version of this play out a few houses down from ours just this week. Sellers had to pay to have the panels moved and installed at their new home. The house was only on the market for a few days, but the solar panels came off the same day the SOLD sign went up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

yiffzer

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Don't they already? Schools all have reduced or free lunch programs. Although I'm not sure if that's even your property taxes in action, since I think federal funds are related to Title 1 schools.

An old high school friend is a single father, raising 4 elementary school aged children on a prison guard salary. Somehow he makes too much to qualify for even reduced cost school lunches.

BWM: Being a single parent to 4 children

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does everyone get school lunches nowadays? I remember bringing in bologna or peanut butter sandwiches.

That's what he does currently, he was just hoping to stretch his food budget out more.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Give cash. It'll help more people, it's more environmentally sound, and it is the optimal way to help people who are getting economically hosed to the point where they can't put food on the table. :tmyk:

And much like any time you hand over cash, be sure to research what you are getting for your money. BWM: Donating to my local Goodwill http://dataomaha.com/media/news/2016/goodwill/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Literally why I went to the bank and got a bunch of half dollars and $2s for the office. Yes I can break your $20, and no, it won't work in the vending machine.

Can you still get $2 bills at the bank? I might have to do some calling this morning.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My checking account from back then doesn't show up either. Neither does the checking account I had in grad school.

Checking accounts aren't a line of credit, so they don't show on credit reports. Most banks use Chex systems to track bad check people.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Call it a pet fee if you like, I pay $15 a month "pet rent" for my cat. It's to cover any damages the animal might possibly inflict, as well as to deter too many people from having too many pets. For example dogs cost $60-$150 a month at my building depending on size, which is part of why there aren't many large dogs, and I am thankful for that as the first year I was here I lived under someone with one...and the person down the hall had one too and came over for doggy play dates.

I lived under an apartment with two dogs, that they kept out on the balcony basically 24/7. It made my balcony completely unusable (oh boy, it's raining dog piss again) and management refused to do anything about it. And that's the story of the last time I lived in an apartment.

e: I guess at least they weren't running around the floors above us at night.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

One of her friends has a $50k ring
She set up a pinterest with rings that range from anywhere from 5-20k

You're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

It makes me, pause, twice as long, when reading, and that's annoying, and everyone, in the world, needs to conform, to my opinions, dammit :argh:

• Locked thread