Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

drrockso20 posted:

That will never stop being disappointing to me, Jontron was hilarious

Well... I mean... Jontron was funny, but he was always really dumb. Like he made Egoraptor look smart in comparison. And Arin Hanson is about as sharp as a dull spoon.

Rhyno posted:

That's still better than what Furman originally wrote.

hey check this out, this is what he wrote before that, interested in seeing how the thread feels about this lol

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Prime%27s_Rib!

quote:

On July 15, 1995, in an attempt to forge better relationships with the humans on Earth, Optimus Prime unveils a new 'female' Autobot called Arcee to counter claims of sexism from human feminists. Much to Prime's bemusement, Arcee doesn’t prove popular with the feminists who complain that she looks weak and shouldn't be pink.

Jazz and Hot Rod are unable to understand what all the fuss is about as the only thing that they can see that separates Arcee from other Autobot warriors is a variation in the upper chassis design.

As Optimus Prime attempts to calm the feminists, the Decepticon Headmasters Fangry, Squeezeplay and Horri-Bull, led by Shockwave, launch a surprise attack. Prime orders Arcee to stay back while he handles the Decepticons, much to Arcee's disgust.

Optimus Prime is soon overpowered and Arcee is forced to go to his rescue, managing to drive off the Decepticons. During the confusion, she and Hot Rod collide and end up in a heap on the floor, leading Hot Rod to declare that he's all for female Transformers, much to the feminists' displeasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I can't deal with that right now.

Like some predatory bird, I swoop down into the thread with the vile intent to sow chaos. The future holds only conflict and mayhem! It never ends! REAP THE WHIRLWIND!!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair him being dumb was part of what made him funny(his "what the gently caress" reaction to that one game where you play as a floating samurai head is still in my opinion one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the internet)

That's exactly why I'm so disappointed in him, it's unlikely but I'd love for him to have a moment of self realization and apologize for his lovely behavior

But then I'm an advocate for forgiveness and reconciliation if the person asking for it is being sincere about it

I don't follow what JonTron is up to these days. The guy kind of sunk his career and isn't relevant anymore. I don't know if he even still does videos. I thought I remember hearing that he realized he was a dope and quit the alt-right stuff. I don't really know if he did or didn't. You probably know better than I do.

I never got the impression that the guy was evil, more that he was an impressionable dimwit who got influenced by the wrong crowd. He probably started reading \pol\ and took it as gospel. That said, I never listened to that full two hour debate or interview or whatever he had, but I've heard excerpts and some of the poo poo he says is pretty drat bad and is like, honest to God white nationalist poo poo. I think the guy must have got Internet poisoning. I think too much exposure to social media or forums can make anyone lose their mind.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Phy posted:

So you're saying, the internet makes you stupid

Yeah. I think it gave me permanent brain damage. Oh well, at least I'm aware.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Vangelus is a good guy. He's a professional video editor so his reviews are better produced and he puts a lot of effort into writing them and framing shots and the like. It's just that since he works hard to make his videos really good, by the time he reviews a toy I'll already have it and it's no longer on store shelves. So I see his videos as being more for entertainment than for deciding what to buy. Thew is the same way, really.

If I'm curious about making a purchase, I'm more likely to look at peaugh or baltmatrix who put way less effort into their videos, but they review absolutely everything and do it before the figure's even released. I watch benscollectables too, he does a lot of third party and bootleg stuff.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TheDK posted:

My dream is to one day be wandering the odorous halls of a TFCon, walk past Vangelus, and a few seconds later he turns around to see me walking away and thinks to himself, "Wait, was that transformers-fan-and-collector TheDK?"

It's funny, on my first TFCon I was a little star struck and nervous but I hung out with him a bit and ate dinner with him and he's just a regular guy like anyone else. I know, it's loving dumb to be star struck over some "Internet celebrity", but people form parasocial relationships and it's an interesting phenomenon. You don't want to be like a stalker, you know? A friend of mine is obsessed with getting his sempai Jeremy Parish to notice him on twitter and I give him a hard time for it.

Anyway I'm friends with Vangelus on facebook and we used to talk on twitter but I quit twitter and cut down on social media a lot so I don't keep in touch with people from cons that much anymore aside from some local people. It's kinda funny, I went to another TFCon for the first time in a few years and people were like "man you just vanished, are you ok?" (Fun fact, social media is the leading cause of depression in young people in America and simply shutting off your phone, going outside and exercising works wonders)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm friends with Ben from Benscollectibles on FB and he is genuinely a nice person and just loves life and toys. I love his overwhelmingly positive review style.

Yeah he comes across as a nice, down to earth guy. Maybe that's why I like his videos. Is he doing well? I know he has a lot of health problems and can't walk anymore. :(

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

His health could be better but he has a really could mobility chair and can limp around his home. Through all his health issues he remained upbeat which is impressive to me. I stub my toe and I fall to the floor for an hour.

Yeah, plus his health went to poo poo when he moved from the UK to Canada, which I imagine must have been really hard. Moving to another country halfway across the world is tough, even if the UK and Canada are pretty similar to each other all things considered.

I think moving my big collection of poo poo to a place 30 minutes away is a nightmare and I have two working legs and no children.

Pro tip: do not collect material things like toys, video games, movies or comic books.

Do as I say, don't do as I do.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I hit the US in a few days, what’s the likelihood of seeing an Overlord on shelves?

Eh... I wouldn't keep your hopes up. He was the last wave and I never saw him in the wild. I bought him at a con. The chances are pretty low but you might get lucky.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The MSJ posted:

You know what? Not enough women reviewing Transformers on Youtube.

forcing women to get into Transformers is just cruel and unusual punishment, and you are a sick, sadistic bastard for even suggesting that

anyways that reminds me of a funny story. A friend of mine goes up to me and he's like:
"Hey man, you really like transformers and you are an expert on it. I'm interested in seeing what it's all about. What should I watch? Do the old cartoons hold up?"
and then I just bluntly reply "No." and he just bursts out laughing because that was not the answer he expected

Transformers is trash and I loving love trash, but out of courtesy and respect to my friends, I do not invite them to swim in a dumpster with me unless they already like doing that

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Phy posted:

Gobots was always the more representative franchise anyway.

Somewhere out there, there's some sicko who kidnaps women, ties them up and forces them to watch Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Imagining a form of torture that horrible makes me want to throw up.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Burkion posted:

Don't judge me

Mr. Plinkett??!

I didn't know you liked Transformers, I thought you just liked Night Court

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Goddammit, now I want Plinkett to review the Transformers movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rfup0XKx7o

but nothing beats their transformers 5 review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGU2dBKEj50

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Have I brought up how much I love these new combiner feet? The hands are crappy but man, the new feet having ankle tilts and a port on the back where you can snap the hands in is awesome.

What to do with the second thumb puzzles me

Do I pop it off? Have a weird fist with two thumbs? fold it up some weird way?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Z-bots are cool. I had sold all mine but bought a bunch back a couple years ago.

I thought you guys were overreacting about his waist, but man it does look really bad in that pic

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Burkion posted:

Big T-Rex. Wonderful thing, but a big T-Rex.

Like, to use Power Rangers as an example, they've had a lot of dinosaur robots and a few Dragon ones, but the DragonZord/ Dragon Caesar is just straight up Godzilla but a robot.

Transformers has never really done anything like that before. Though I guess you could argue some form of Optimus Primal could work for a King Kong reference

Trypicon is definitely more Godzilla than he is a T-Rex. He's even charcoal grey \ black and has a few plates on his back, although they're much smaller and less pronounced than Godzilla. A lot of people forget that Godzilla isn't really supposed to be green, except for when he is on rare occasions like in a couple of the millennium movies and that recent anime.

There's that, plus Trypticon is enormous and stomps around cities knocking over buildings like Godzilla. And while he was designed in the 80s, people at least know that Tyrannosaurs weren't tail draggers by now. Now if only people could learn to accept feathered dinosaurs...

Knormal posted:

Action Masters and the Micromaster bases don't even count as Transformers, they're just MASK. Micromasters have their charm, but not when they're the only actual transforming figures in the line. Then this was followed by nothing. There's no redeeming the early '90s.

I like Action Masters, Micromasters and G2 because I was born a couple years too late and this was all I got.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

leveraged buyouts should really be illegal but lol who are we kiddin' that ain't happening

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mike Nelson of MST3K \ Rifftrax has a fantastic podcast all about mocking Ready Player One and Armada. It's a really entertaining listen. It's Neckbeard: the book. It's the cringiest thing ever.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Since they're doing Abominus, it would be cool if Hasbro released Computron again, but using the not-lovely Takara mold.

The_Doctor posted:

What I’m taking away is that we’re not going to get Seacons.

When would be the next big announcement? It felt like the NY Toy Fair mostly just announced stuff we already knew about, or was even already out.

The Seacons are the only G1 combiner that they haven't done yet or don't have on the way, right? Well, that's if you count Monstructor, I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if they recolored Abominus and called it "Monstructor" and made it a box set or something.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I suppose. I'm hesitant to include guys like Road Caesar and Rail Racer as they're 3-man combiners and if Leokaiser is any indication, Hasbro would probably half-rear end them because they're so niche. If we're talking Victory, you could probably do Landcross just by taking random limbs from other combiners and call it a day.

Rail Racer or Raiden would be cool, but it wouldn't have much appeal outside Japan. Well... I like trains. Insert joke here. I would probably be down for an RiD Ruination but I think most people are probably sick of Bruticus by this point.

Honestly, you know what I'd want more than any of those? Just give me some random rear end Decepticon combiner limbs that aren't really tied to any particular combiner. There's plenty of torsos like Cyclonus and that terrible Starscream that just came out, but there's only like 3 limb dudes I can use - Dreadwind, Darkwing and I guess Offroad.

The Autobots have tons of '84/'85 cars made into combiner limbs that you can just slap on Optimus or Sky Lynx or whatever. Plus Alpha Bravo and Rook who got orphaned.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Gimmie MP God Ginrai and G2 Megatron, please. I mostly just want guys from Beast Wars and G1 season 3 honestly.

Are they really doing Rhinox next? I mean, I like Rhinox okay, but I'd really want Rattrap, Megatron, or Waspinator.

I like Car Robots but I have a third party Black Convoy \ Scourge so I think I'm probably good. Fire Convoy \ Ultra Magnus would be cool but I can live without. I'm not too wild about the Unicron trilogy and the only MP figures from that I'd really want are from Galaxy Force. Maybe Optimus, Megatron\Galvatron and Starscream. And even then I don't really need them that bad.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Burkion posted:

So one problem with Transformers sales of late, and I profess no knowledge of how they could FIX this exactly

Basically it seems like the toylines they put the most effort into are ones without any real backing behind them.

Like, the whole reason why Transformers caught on the way it did was because of the TV series. The people behind it KNEW that going in.

Yet since Prime, it feels like the TV show related toylines are an afterthought at best, while most of the love and effort goes to the non TV related lines. Even during Prime, honestly, though Prime got hit hard by the early 2010s.

Of course the problem is that kids watch TV less and less and they don't really have a big channel to promote their new show TO. Their shows have also skewed a bit younger in recent years than, say, Prime or Beast Wars.

You just discovered the problem with selling toys in the current day. Hasbro doesn't know how to fix this either, and nor do I.

It is probably smarter to have the cheaper, simplier toys tied with the shows as they typically have a younger audience. Certain collectors might have loved the complexity of things like the ROTF line, but for kids and parents, those toys were a nightmare.

I've heard plenty of articles how Star Wars toy sales are down the toilet, I wonder how Transformers compares? With Star Wars they kind of overproduced their toys plus made figures nobody wants like Mr. Not in the Movie Constable Zuvio and Admiral Holdo.

drrockso20 posted:

I really don't get why they haven't just made a deal with Netflix or maybe Hulu to do a show for them yet

Well.... they tried Machinima... yeah. We know how that went.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The MSJ posted:

I also think Hasbro overestimate how many army-builders are among Star Wars toys buyers. Black Series Stormtrooper figures always shelfwarm, and I don't even think they had a standalone figure of the most popular trooper, that guy who fought Finn in TFA. The Star Wars toyline was so successful initially because of their 3.75 inch figures, anyway.

And Netflix is certainly a better bet for Hasbro. I can already watch Robots in Disguise and Rescue Bots there, in addition to MLP:FiM. Netflix would be jumping at a chance to produce more shows with their IP. Many kids nowadays watch cartoons online on a tablet rather than TV anyway. Cartoon Network encourage kids to use their app instead of watching them on the TV, which is why only Teen Titans Go in aired on the channel.

Yes, Hasbro would be smarter to go for Netflix over Cartoon Network. Their idea of a streaming show was on Machinima, which was a bad idea.

Arquinsiel posted:

They're also back to 1980's levels of articulation for most of them. I sure do want a giant weapon that fires out a dart or some poo poo and combines with the grabber and the jetpack of those other two figures to make a super weapon! That really compensates for my figures not having knees but still costing the same.

I wonder how much kids care about articulation? I really don't know. I don't think a kid needs a SUPER articulated figure with ankle tilts and whatever, but maybe vintage G.I. Joe levels of articulation might be nice. Just with, you know, no rubber o-rings holding the torso together. Those are horrible.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

As far as articulation for kids goes, yeah, I think figures should have elbows and knees. So basically, vintage G.I. Joe articulation and not vintage Star Wars. Just thinking from a non-transformers viewpoint, knees will let a figure sit down in seats and things for vehicles and playsets. The worst articulation are those diagonal swivels at the legs that some figures used to have, so they spread their legs out when they try to sit. Star Trek figures usually had this for some reason. It looks a little lewd.

I think another thing is that back in the 80s, nobody cared that their Star Wars toys only had 5 joints because that's all they knew. They had standardized higher articulation on Star Wars figures in the 2000's, then they went back. I figure any kid who knows about the better, older figures is going to be like "hey, what the hell man? What gives?" It's like opening pandora's box.

Also doing this makes it so ONLY kids want them. I think most Star Wars collectors go for the Black Series these days and that's it. Unless you get them mint on card. I've always felt that the guys who buy tons of MISC Star Wars figures might be the craziest toy collectors out there (that and hot wheels.) There so goddamn many Star Wars toys! And 99.99% of them aren't worth anything! Those 90's POTF are worth less sealed today than they retailed for originally. Why not open them? It's not a wise investment. You are literally better off buying bitcoins or playing slot machines. Not that I'd recommend that, either...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The G1 comics suck rear end. Transformers is a beloved franchise but its not because of those comics. Its because of the toys, cartoon show and especially the 86 movie.

Now the old G.I. Joe comics kicked rear end and are considered the "definitive" Joe stories, but Larry Hama actually liked writing G.I. Joe, is a good writer and a veteran so it was up his alley.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keldroc posted:

Most of the TF lore worth anything later on came from the comics, though, so I wouldn't dismiss them that strongly. It's not like the cartoon was much better.

The cartoon was dumb but fun. A lot of later comics such as Dreamwave and IDW took inspiration from the old Marvel Comics because... well... they're comics.

Beast Wars is a little weird because it seems to have elements from both the G1 comic and cartoon and it's not entirely written in stone which one it is a sequel to. I guess its a sequel to whichever one you want it to be.

Its also worth noting that I personally like the cartoon more because I was introduced to Transformers at a very young age and they didn't teach me how to read before 1st grade. I didn't discover the comic until I found back issues in a comic book shop in the mid to late 90s. I didn't know it even existed before then. We never had the Internet before '97 or '98. I was still a kid in the late '90s and early 2000's and I still loved Transformers, but to me, the comics were just kind of grim and not great. It didn't help that I was reading the Budiansky comics and not the Simon Furman ones that people actually like. The Bob Budiansky comics loving suuuuck.

My first memories of the Internet was going on AOL Online and seeing there was a Marvel website around '97. "Woah, they have a Spider-man comic I can read online? This is amazing!" I thought. Then I went there, it took 20 minutes to load a single page and I was like "actually the Internet kind of sucks." Then I found websites with lots of Mega Man sprites on them.

I also heard about all these legendary Japanese Transformers cartoons and toys we never got and it wasn't until I actually saw them many years later that I learned those cartoons actually sucked lol. That said because of that, Star Saber was always a holy grail for me for many years, and I finally got one last year so that's cool.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 26, 2018

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

So do they ever find the Knights of Cybertron?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

they've found "cyberutopia", or rather Getaway has. And according to the map, the knights are nearby, but their intentions are unclear

Well at least it will get some degree of closure I guess. It would suck if it just abruptly ended but that's kind of what I'd expect.

One thing that really bugged me is that Transformers almost never transformed in those comics.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I only watched like half of the new Voltron but I thought it was pretty good. I liked it enough to get that big Voltron set. It was a steal at $100. It seems Voltron toys are on clearance. I guess the show is done \ on its way out? I think it's on its third season, which is about par for the course for these sorts of things.

I'm not really a Voltron fan, though. I would see the original from time to time on TV as a kid, but it never really wowed me. I never fell in love with it like I did for things like Transformers, Gundam and Robotech\Macross. So I mean... I think the new Voltron show is probably about as good as Voltron is going to get. People like to thumb their noses as western-made faux anime but I don't really care.

I like a lot of combining super robot toys, but I just can't get into any shows where you have a robot that combines, kills the monster of the week, then does that every single episode. I think Power Rangers is totally unwatchable.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

It's not dreadful, but it's dreadfully underwhelming.

I mean even Miko had a character arc. Voltron is mostly farting around, except I guess the one guy is a ninja now? There's a ton of episodes for not very much progress.

The prince is dreamy though. I'd be happy to just have a show about him, being awesome.

Well I thought the first 12 or so episodes were really good, but I guess it wasn't good enough to really hold my interest.

Spiderdrake posted:

It is on both season 3 and season 6 and maybe sort of season 5?

Huh? What? You lost me, there.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

People hate human characters in Transformers, but this causes a bit of a conundrum, because I think transformers with earth modes are typically cooler than ones with generic cybertronian vehicle modes.

Spike and Carly aren't that bad. Now their son is another story... but I kind of love Chip Chase. COURAGE! I also give Raoul the thumbs up.

Jack and Jack's mom from Prime are good. Sari from Animated grows on you but I dunno if she counts as human or not.

I don't think human characters always necessarily have to be awful in transformers. The really obnoxious ones are usually super young children or people in paramilitary groups who are out there to kill all transformers. Just avoid those. And also maybe Shia LeBeouf and Megan Fox. Marky Mark is fine, though.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 29, 2018

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

John Cena will probably be cool because he's John Cena. And if you don't think so, don't worry, you can't see him anyway.

For horrible human characters, I think most of the most recent ones were from IDW (namely their version of Spike) or shows like Prime or the various anime shows where very young children are palling around with Transformers for some reason.

Of course its also really weird that in G1 they recruit some random construction worker on an oil rig and his son. One of the things that the G1 comics actually did better was that the Witwickys were car mechanics which kinda makes sense.

They should just go for human companions like G1 Spike, Carly or Jack Darby that are young but are more high schoolers \ college freshmen and are old enough to at least have a learner's permit.

That said, Sam and Mikaela from the Bay movies should be fine as well, its just that they're in a Michael Bay movie and most people in any Michael Bay movies act like complete turds

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

They aren’t choosing human companions in G1 strategically. They are friendly robots making friends, and the Witwickys are the first humans that are actually friendly to them. Nothing weird about that.

Also, going back to that thought that Beast Wars is great because they invented an energon reason to make Transformers transform less, I don’t get you or why you’d want to use that for other shows. I want to see robots in my robot show, not cars and trucks rolling around talking to each other the whole time. Even as a kid, I remember being frustrated that Grimlock was always in his tiny arm Dino mode in Season 3. There was even one episode where he transformed just so he could hold something for a moment, then immediately went back Dino. YOUR ROBOT MODE IS AWESOME, GRIMLOCK! YOU GRIMLOCK NOT MOVING AS FAST AS HE CAN IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING IN ROBOT MODE TRYING NOT TO GET CRUSHED BY FALLING TRYPTICON.

Maybe that's why I like civilian characters like G1 Spike or Jack more than when the transformers work with governments or quasi-military organizations or whatever. They're aliens and they don't know anything about Earth, so they just befriend the first earthlings they meet. It brings things "down to earth" so to speak by having average, regular people in the show.

I think its just that I'm tired of super secret government organizations that fight transformers and little kids because little kids are usually written poorly and are annoying. Shows like Stranger Things where child characters are actually good are kind of the exception.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

That's one of the reasons I like Sari so much, she presents a nice middle ground, she's first and foremost their friend, but her dad being a genius scientist and owner of one of the biggest companies in the world also gives them some practical reasons to associate with her

She also grows up in the show in kind of a literal sense.

And she's a transformer that turns into a human so she kind of has a loophole. I don't know if Sari of that decepticon lady from one of the bay movies came first. It took a while for them to make a transformer that turns into a human. I don't think Pretenders really count for that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The fact that they're doing Terrorcons now makes me retroactively want to get that Takara Computron. Because if you have Abominus, you gotta have Computron too you know!

Yeah, there's that Hasbro one too, but I just don't think that one can cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Hasbro Computron is pretty legit. Quatron seems to go on clearance every month, I think TFSource had it for $185 a few weeks ago. Supposedly JinBao are upsizing that badboy next.

I could probably get the Hasbro one off a friend of mine I sometimes do toy shows with. I don't care about Computron that much so maybe I could settle for that one.

He has a bunch of Combiner Wars figures and I skipped the ones that were 84/85 characters made into combiner limbs because I already had figures of them. But I see that Wave 1 Jazz in stores and the couple combiner torsos I have that don't have limbs (Optimus, Cyclonys, Sky Lynx, Starscream) and I get tempted to get those guys.