Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Burkion posted:

They're obliquely referring to the fact that their robot modes in AOE were Knight themed. But since those, to my knowledge, never show up in the movies and they're never treated as Knights and actual Transformer Knights get introduced the movie after, I don't really agree.
I only vaguely recall AoE but according to tfwiki Lockdown's "mission" was to capture "the knights" for "the creators", with Optimus being a knight

If you're saying the guy who looks like a knight in his robot mode (which is in the movie, I think, for a couple seconds) in the ship of the dude collecting knights isn't a knight, well, AoE is bad and let's not watch it

But having a character with a knight design in one of his portrayals talk like a knight isn't exactly some big ol' innovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Cyberverse Grimlock has big Kelsey Grammar energy.
How many times does he say money plane?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GD_American posted:

Can someone tell me what the hell is the appeal of Funko Pops
Affection for branding above quality. It's basically pure distilled consumerism - the advertisement worked.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

They just tricked nerds into doing the work for them :negative:
Did you just realize that about funko pop or like games workshop?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I thought I'd recognized the name and just realized they also do really good figures for $40~ or so?

None of the Transformers stuff looks this bad though, dang

I guess that's a reference to something. Like, nightmares.

Arquinsiel posted:

Funko Pop, becase you see it's a joke :ssh:
Yeah, they were both jokes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nodosaur posted:

Why they keep shoving Cyberverse's version of Prowl into things instead of giving us important characters like Windblade or Shadowstriker mystifies me.
That is really weird. Is the version any good? Prowl isn't popular

I mean the whole IDW thing was "Prowl sucks, and sucks some more" after all...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Knormal posted:

I would wager Prowl is, in fact, fairly popular or else they wouldn't keep making figures of him/the figures would shelfwarm.
Shelfwarming is generally a function of oversupply at this point. The infamous yellow hives were actually of the most popular character in the franchise at the time.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm surprised there isn't given you could do a shapeshifter like the one in Prime and have a little moment of "Have you seen Makeshift?"

"He's back, in Pog form"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has there ever been much G2 nostalgia?
Couple chars got toys, couple updates, couple repaints, about as much as you can expect from "colorblind mode G1"

I still kinda really like the one Jhiaxus toy

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Technowolf posted:

Girls can like robots too, ya know.
Working 'cons is really eye opening for this, the population of Transformers fans is really diverse and varied.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DisposableHero posted:

This is a fun idea. We already have weaponizers. Swords, hammers, shields etc. Why not a few armor pieces too.
I was wondering why they never did that with Junkions, like, a few peg holes for armor and you could sell them as army builders via swapping pieces around.

Then again maybe that's like Junkion DLC or something

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Phy posted:

How did I only realize today that 2021 marks 25 years since Beast Wars premiered?
Because 2020 ate all sense of temporal landmarks leaving us floating in grey hazy lockdown

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is anyone still buying Iron Factory? I missed out on Big Boi Magnus from a decent ebayer, but looking up the upcoming line and it's just kinda nuts

I assume given the current pace this won't finish til 2023 but man, this is weirdly appealing

Keldroc posted:

And light years above anything in TFA. The toys were neat in how they accomplished the cartoony designs in 3D, but the show was bad then and unwatchable now. The worst kind of 'memberberry vapidity. They started figuring some interesting story threads out in S3, but too little too late.
Ha, that's a good term for it.

I don't think I'd go that far, but big chunks of TFA just aren't very good and it definitely relied way too much on pandering in disservice to its own good ideas. Shockwave, the military bot / civ bot dichotomy actually going somewhere and Omega Supreme are all executed to the benefit of the canon at large. And a lot of its new characters are great ideas.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I’m not really interested in Iron Factory’s samurai line, but I definitely want to grab the new Magnus. However, for now I’m more interested in getting the two big DJD dudes before they vanish and skyrocket in price. Magnus will hopefully keep a while.
He's already selling out, but they might second wave him.

The two big DJD dudes did sell out everywhere but they did a second wave. I've been holding off since I'd rather buy a boxed set if they ever do one, and want to keep a loose Tarn anyway. They don't look enticing as individual figures to me, but I always thought the DJD was pretty crap.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The MSJ posted:

What did Jazz do in the movie again?
He didn't die. loving NAILED that role.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Like I said, it's a really cool design apart from the silly boobs, and even if I didn't buy one myself it's not like I'd judge other people that do. That's reserved for the weirdos with the third party Arcees that come with the soft chest part and stuff like that
That was an addon kit to a 3P Arcee, actually. Which might be even weirder.

Beast Wars is definitely worth watching once you've finished G1. She's a pretty good character, I don't super strongly recall all the cringe bits (BW is a product of the 90s after all) but she's important to the story, pretty cool and handles a lot of the toughest poo poo the show throws at the cast. The design is what it is, but if you don't want to punch the toy, you'll probably not mind after a bit.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Burkion posted:

Psst, check out what Aligatorcon is

I don't think Hasbro in a million years would have done that figure
That figure has actually received a 3P figure, I think strangehamster still owns his.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Skip a step and pretend BM doesn't exist, make that TransTech line we've been pining for, for decades.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Really couldn’t have picked a better title than that, huh :tinfoil:
drat I was wondering why part of my brain was buzzing reading that title

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just run the Rambo one. That's really all you need.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DisposableHero posted:

D'oh. Titan master was right there.
Xeno is morally opposed to Titan Masters because they "ruined perfectly good figures" by making him lose the heads.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Titan Master toys are good in spite of the headmaster gimmick, which is and always has been trash. Fight me. :toughguy:
I keep offering to fite you at a variety of tfcons but you always lose your head and can't find the plane

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

What if he comes in vehicle mode, and my whole Transformers display is in robot mode?
Then obviously you fix the steaming pile of shampoo bottle garbage you call a display?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Deceptive Thinker posted:

So... like...not quite...but
If we think back to this twelve months from now when they announce the TransTech multiversal anomaly Commander 2022 product I am going to be so, so, so glaring at you through the interwebs

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Robot Style posted:

All this is doing is making me realize that finding Beast Wars toys in the early 2000's would be like going to a store now and finding Thrilling 30 stuff, which makes me crumble into dust because I think "well that was only a couple of years ago" and realize no... it's not.
There's a recurring thing in this thread and other discussions where people are like "Why are they making X, we just got X in Y line so recently??"

and you look it up and it was half a decade back

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Don't thinshame either. A Bulkhead can be allowed to thin down.

Sometimes he's Hound, too.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Did anyone pick up the Iron Factory Final Battle Ultra Magnus? It's back in supply so I'm considering it unless there's horror stories?

Arquinsiel posted:

Have you considered just buying a spare Brawn and shooting it?
Just because Keldroc is American doesn't mean he has a plentiful supply of firearms!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheDK posted:

I have fun at cons, but holy gently caress the majority of the population is stinky and lovely in nearly every way possible.
I appreciate the RoC guys labeling themselves as RoC guys with lovely t-shirts at least so you can see them coming.

Except that time hamster was like "gently caress those RoC guys" and the dude he was talking to was wearing the RoC t-shirt underneath his sweater.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nodosaur posted:

why do you need 5 Rungs
are you rungshaming, are you saying they're having bad rung fun?

Also Botcon is the con that yelled at a handicapped person in a wheelchair for sitting in line, they are definitely a group Hasbro should absolutely cleave as far as possible from

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

juggalo baby coffin posted:

its very impressive looking, when i saw the first pic i wasnt sure if it was gonna actually transform because the robot mode is so much neater than tarn's, but she does.
There's a good stop motion video of her on youtube, the toy looks really slick.

I preordered it but it's been bumped back almost a full month so it'll be here sometime in like, June, maybe.

And yeah I have no affection for the DJD. I own the IF Tarn, it's really nice, but didn't even finish the combiner.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

That's safe, natural flex. Like how buildings sway. If Unicron on his stand was fully rigid I'd be anxious about it.
In the presence of the chaos-bringer standing there fully rigid I think anxious would be a safe reaction yeah

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Burkion posted:

I agree and endorse this
Ignoring the fact he got the idea from the sonic thread re: power rangers, isn't Hound the one that maybe should go that way?

Naturalist work kinda clashes with Prowl's character in other ways.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nodosaur posted:

I'm not a "he"
Apologies.

Anyway Prowl needs to be something urban and having a universally positive sentiment. But I'm not sure, even in the 80s, he fell into that camp. As a white dude whose last conversation with a cop was being warned about a dude with a crossbow, my perspective is probably way skewed. Maybe Prowl always had that edge and a bunch of us are just waking up to that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thrust wants you to know he's coming from behind this time.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

We do not need to do this, and I'd say, please don't.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The bayverse films barely connect with the bayverse films.

I don't even mean like two barely connects with three. I mean parts of four barely connect with parts of four.

It's more a question of influence but even then the bay movies were so diluted by the end anyway.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Apparently Iron Factory announced their 2022 line up, which is exciting for having another combiner Liokaiser but less exciting for them being 10 or something figures off finishing 2021 and then CYN break plus a bunch of it is Samurai line stuff.

Samurai line Animated Prowl is a sweet idea though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Inferno has a matoi staff, like old Japanese firefighters and Galo from Promare, who’s also a firefighter.
poo poo, now you've sold me on that Inferno. It just clicks now, I get why he's in the line, much like their Cyclonus.