Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Apparently Roberts depicted Star Saber as a religious fanatic in his old fan fiction, and he's using that characterization in the comic book instead of the heroic version from the cartoon. And the characters say he's been a crazy fanatic for a long time, so he probably isn't a series of guys in a suit, unless they're similar.

I think MTMTE is really good, though I wish our heroes would score some more definitive victories instead of always having bad stuff happen even when they win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Super 3 posted:

Is all the Dark Cybertron stuff really going to take 6 months?
Yes, it's twelve issues. I don't know how they'll keep the storyline going, since it sounds like a retread of stuff we've seen already.

Anyway, MTMTE was great. Thunderclash is Ace Rimmer.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

3 posted:

I'm a massive sucker for time-travel shenanigans, so this issue was like a fantastic buffet for me. Off the top of my head:
  • Past-Nightbeat notices present-Rung building his Lost Light model, which is probably why he recognizes the ship itself at the end of Dork Cybertron.
  • Brainstorm knocks out past-Rung, ensuring that present-Rung is who kicks off the bar fight and also explaining why Rung couldn't remember Megatron's first encounter with him during the interview in issue 28.
  • Whirl incapacitates the Heavies and also crushes their hands, ensuring that Chromedome can't mind-wipe them. A year later, senate thugs find the location of Shockwave's academy thanks to the "best tip-off ever."
I think Roberts has been planning this for ages.

The TFWiki page always has loads of details about each issue. One thing they point out:

Though he has always been unforthcoming about his origins, we know that Megatron, as a Point One Percenter, should have a green spark, but the one seen inside his half-built frame on the final page of this issue is the traditional blue.

That makes me wonder if Brainstorm will remove the original spark from Megatron's body and install the point one percenter spark he found on Luna 1. He might be trying to change things but that would create the established history, just as the other characters have done when they interfered with events.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The Goon posted:

Jesus Christ, I think Roberts is actually a step beyond Hickman when it comes to planning and intricacy of story.

I don't know if Roberts really has it all planned out, because when he originally wrote the bar fight scene he wasn't the regular writer and might not have known if he'd ever be, so maybe he just decided to use Rung's presence in the earlier story to his advantage here. But he's had it planned for a while at least, since in #28 Rung doesn't know about the bar fight.

I checked around and other people have come up with the same idea about Megatron's spark. I thought of it on my own, though the Roller = Tarn idea went right over my head, despite how obvious it seems in retrospect.

You Am I posted:

I have to admit that this current storyline is getting pretty tedious.
They were so sure Brainstorm was going to kill Orion/Optimus that it was obvious he'd really do something else, and I did get impatient waiting for them to figure it out.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
There doesn't seem to be any point in the DJD teaming up with Deathsaurus if they killed all those hundreds of Autobots so easily the first time. They didn't get any help from Brainstorm or Overlord, but I sort of wonder if Rewind had something to do with it, since they did leave without trying to find him or kill him. Maybe they'd just gotten bored.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Roach Warehouse posted:

Also where's Thunderclash in all this?

Not to mention Perceptor. I'd guess that not everyone's in on the mutiny like Getaway implied.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Who was the green Skids/Crosscut guy standing with those other guys?

Hoist.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Man I can't get over how great the "Noisemaze" joke in SotW is.

Because Methosulas is Tarantulas and he created the Noisemaze and "Noizemaze" is the Galaxy Force name for Cybertron Sideways and Sideways and Tarantulas have a LOT IN COMMON and etc.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

Legends Blaster has a fake tape spool painted on his chest.

That's friggin stupidly hilarious.

Neat, now you can re-enact Blaster betraying Rewind and abandoning him to die!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Here's Dominus Ambus as Agent 113/Vos from #44:

He was the previous Vos, the one with with hooks for fingers.

I wonder what Chromedome will do when he finds out Overlord is still alive and the other Rewind's death was basically for nothing. Or is the other Rewind still alive too?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Veg posted:

Just speculating. Probably is alive, and would probably choose Dominus over Chromedome.

If so, it's too bad they killed Dominus in this issue! I know he could come back in the next issue the way people like to complain about, but Kaon died last time and he wasn't miraculously resurrected.

One thing they haven't explained: When we see Overlord floating in space, he's holding something in one hand, but we can't see what it is. It must be significant, whatever it might be. The other Rewind's head, maybe?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
MTMTE #35:

I had wondered about a red herring but I wish Roberts had put in more hints about the truth, like maybe tying in Tarn's cog addiction. He and Skids are shown to know each other in flashbacks, though Skids might have just previously met him as Tarn.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Unknown Evil is Deathsaurus. Strange that he and Star Saber are both on the list.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Lost Light was good. I don't know what the problem is supposed to be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Timby posted:

Mine won't stop telling me that he is Optimus Prime. :saddowns:

This guy would disagree:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think speculation was that we're getting one pretty soon, since apparently Unicron is showing up in the comics in the near future and there's a Rodimus Unicronus in the PotP line.

The recent mini-series First Strike ended with Unicron being awakened by Merklynn, the wizard from Visionaries. Really. I hope Unicron doesn’t end up being nothing but the subject of some dumb forgettable crossover.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I will say that I do respect how the people making the cartoon were the ones who had the initiative to just make some of the characters just be girls. The original toys sure don't seem like they had that in mind (and neither did the Japanese).

Ratchet was originally supposed to be female; the character is named after Nurse Ratched. Hasbro wanted only male characters, though. Coincidentally the medic in Animated was originally going to be a female Red Alert but they changed it to a male Ratchet.

In Japan they dubbed Airazor with a male actor. When Airazor and Tigatron got in a relationship, they had no choice but to make them gay.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

man. I wish we'd gotten female ratchet so animated ratchet would've been an incredibly surly washed-up female medibot

Ratchet's original Tech Spec describes him as a party animal who sometimes has trouble taking his job seriously. I don't think that's been exhibited in any version of the character.

Phy posted:

I know I harp on this but reminder that like a quarter to a third of Gobots just kind of ended up being female, and the strongest gender coding among them aside from their voices was cartoon Crasher's lipstick (because the toys were mesomorphic blank-faced beep-boop robots)

James Roberts considered introducing a character who didn't look significantly different from the others and later revealing the character was female. However IDW only wanted female characters that looked traditionally, obviously female.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 16, 2021

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
A G1 Ultra Magnus appears in the first episode of the new Stranger Things, even though it came out in 1986 and the story takes place in 1985. We can only hope someone lost their job over such a grievous error.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Thunderclash is at TFN, and is truly the best of us. :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/jm77/status/1162795938752032769

What a guy!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

You know, would be a fun twist on the multitude of origin stories for various Transformers for a new series if you had it so only like 1 to 3 members of each faction be the usual "several million year old war weary veterans from Cybertron" sort, and the rest of the Autobots and Decepticons all be freshly born on Earth(like say the first episode/issue has Optimus and Megatron battle on the Moon over the All-Spark and the fight ends with it detonating and blanketing the Earth with it's energies, birthing dozens or even hundreds of new Cybertronians in it's wake)

I never understood why they have to be millions of years old. In the original cartoon and comic book they were dormant for the great majority of that time, but later continuities have said the war went on that long. They act basically like humans so it's hard to picture them as these ancient beings. The recent comic kind of handwaved it with "information creep."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

its especially weird that the main cast of the post-movie series just appear out of nowhere with no explanation. even hot rod, the new prime, is just suddenly there.

The cartoon actually did explain that the Autobots knew the post-movie characters and were reunited with them after they started traveling in space more often:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI8JBXoj1RU&t=26s

It's the people from season 2 who show up out of nowhere.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did anybody in-universe know that Galvatron was the same dude as Megatron?

In the first episode of "Five Faces of Darkness," Astrotrain says they're the same guy and no one else seems surprised. When Optimus comes back he tells Galvatron "I know you too well" so he must know.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Triple-Kan posted:

There was a very, very short-lived series of toys about tiny he-man looking characters that were like, evil and good computer viruses, and they could take over alarm clocks and soda cans and toasters and turned them into combat vehicles. Kind of a Transformers meets He-Man meets G.I. Joe but small. Can't remember the name of it, though.

Computer Warriors

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

That's probably the downside of a giant cast you at least want to pay lip service to but don't have product on the shelves so they don't get focus episodes.

(Is there a Headmasters equivalent of 'The Girl Who Loved Powerglide?')

The Japanese shows tended to have ongoing storylines so they didn't have a lot of completely standalone episodes. Still, new characters tended to get introductions unlike some G1 characters like Powerglide who just appeared suddenly.

If you really want another episode like "The Girl Who Loved Powerglide," you should watch TMNT's "Poor Little Rich Turtle," which is by the same writer and recycles the entire plot.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Today is the anniversary of the first known reference to Transformers on the internet:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!original/net.comics/TuupqbD-CBc/dgMOYd_32hwJ

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
From TFWiki's "This Day in History" section for today's date:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

There were two Marvel hardcovers, Battle for Earth and The Autobots' Secret Weapon. Both open with this cool trippy (or nonsensical) space scene:

Battle for Earth is the one where Sparkplug is drawn looking like 'Bob' Dobbs:

Also at the end of that one the Autobots literally murder all of the Constructicons.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Battle_for_Earth
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Autobots%27_Secret_Weapon

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Saw a classic, red VW Bug on the road today, and my brain shorted a little. Bumblejumper was yellow Cliffjumper, right? Was there a red Bumblebee?

Bumblejumper or Bumper had the same transformation scheme as Bumblebee and Cliffjumper, but the mold was different and it transformed into a Mazda. The figure got an official release in Brazil with the name Sedan and had its own artwork and tech spec, so it might've been planned for release elsewhere but was canceled.

There were red Bumblebees and yellow Cliffjumpers (and the original Micro Change versions also came in blue), but I don't think they were ever treated as unique characters. However, Hubcap was a yellow retool of Cliffjumper.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 17, 2021

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Has everyone seen these? They're pretty good, considering one person did all the art and animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1L9ZFn37kY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lVZMyoR6g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRunm-U-DEM

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Also those inexplicable Omni Production names, where Blaster became Billy, Metroplex became Philip, Jazz became Marshall, and Blurr became Wally. Meanwhile human characters got robot names, like Ginrai becoming Optimus.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Good Listener posted:

I wish Til All Are One didn't end because I KNOW there was an interview about a Tankor Tankor issue or atleast background plot in an issue.

They were going to introduce Micromaster Tankor. And they still could've used movie Tankor or Mini-Con Tankor.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The Last Call posted:

Rewatched The Rebirth last night thanks to all the original TF episodes being up on Hasbro's youtube channel, first time saw it since saw it as a child much like the last episodes I spoke of before.

Wow Spike turns out to be a freaking genius, he ends up creating the head master process. Is able to re engineer the target master process from the Decepticons AND he builds Fortress Maximus in a day or two via using the Hives own machines and old city. He puts even wheeljack and Perceptor to shame.

You'd think it would be Brainstorm or one of the Nebulans but nope it's Spike. Granted Brainstorm did have the thought of Transformers and organic beings could be powerful together but it was still Spike who came up with the what and how.

The Lithone designs from the animated movie gets reused again for Hive members. One showed up in season three with Wreck Gar, the female junkion. Lithones were the robots eaten by Unicron in the movies opening.

It's amazing that "The Rebirth" is even watchable since it introduces literally dozens of new characters, most of them in the first episode. Originally it was supposed to be five episodes but it got compressed into three, so the squeezing in of new characters was even more noticeable. Too bad it was the end of the cartoon's original run in America, unless you count those weird reruns with the kid and the giant Optimus puppet:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Good Listener posted:

Having recently finished Victory and Zone, my opinion is that Victory is the best of those 80s Japanese ones. Masterforce had some fun characters but man can Headmasters gently caress off lol. The WORST Chromedome

Headmasters was kind of odd since it tried to continue the American series and use the same characters, though it wrote out or killed off some of them to give time to the new ones. Masterforce and Victory mainly just ignored old characters and focused on the new ones. Zone was basically the Japanese cartoon's version of "The Rebirth," since it introduced lots of new characters but turned out to be the end of the series, except instead of three episodes, Zone was only one episode.

The Japanese writers seemed to like having demonic aliens leading the Decepticons, what with Devil Z in Masterforce, Violengiguar in Zone, and the comics-only Dark Nova.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I finally finished my Rodimus model kit. Now he can bug Megatron:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Perceptor shrinks in his first appearance, but usually he didn't:

Interestingly, his animated commercial depicts him as smaller than average, so he turns into a microscope that was usable by other Transformers and wasn't so huge.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Knormal posted:

All the Pretenders had horrible inner robots that were just a lanky robot that folded up into something vaguely resembling a vehicle.

Gunrunner was the worst: he's supposed to transform into a jet, but you just fold up the robot and attach it to a completely separate jet piece.

http://www.tfu.info/1988/Autobot/Gunrunner/gunrunner.htm

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dabir posted:

What's a good Wheeljack spotlight episode from G1?

He never really got a spotlight episode, though he was featured in a lot of them, usually to invent stuff to help other characters. He saves the day in "SOS Dinobots," but of course that one's more about the Dinobots than him.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

very risky blowjob posted:

my wishlist is that they do the micromasters again, but this time make them even smaller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Happy 100th birthday to artist Earl Norem

https://www.camphortree.net/tf/books/kidstuff/rally/rally-full.html