Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
drat, Pedro's war music is just the best thing in the game. I think if I ever end up with Brazil as a neighbor I'm going to have to pick a fight with them just so I can end up with that playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
The Celts were wonderhogging in my game, so I loaded up a pile of Cho-Ko-Nu and a knight and took Edinburgh.

Thanks for Ankgor Wat, Chichen Itza, the Great Lighthouse, the Hagia Sophia, the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, the Oracle, the Parthenon, Stonhenge, and the Temple of Artemis, Boudicca! :getin:

It even gave me enough new luxuries to keep my empire happy.

EDIT: and now Catherine denounced me. You know, I haven't met anyone on the other continent, I might as well conquer this whole one while the getting's good.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 27, 2013

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
You could do some pretty great stuff with Faith as a mana-like resource and social policy trees as different specializations of magic. Maybe religion could be academies of magic or something.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
One-time bonus. Any building that generates units is one time (e.g. Petra's Caravan)

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Venice has some unique problems with going cultural, because it's a VC that rewards you for going semi-wide. You still need a good wonderhogging city for all the slotted stuff (Uffizi, Louvre, Broadway...), but Archaeologists can't be bought and you will probably want to make a shitload, so it's good to be able to produce them in multiple cities, Landmarks start being worth a lot of culture once you get to Hotels so you need a decent amount of territory to claim some, and you need a lot of great-work-slot buildings if you don't want to run out of space.

Also, Tourism can ramp up super hard in the late eras. Tech to the Internet, faith-buy two or three Great Musicians, and culture bomb the poo poo out of those other assholes.

(Also, if someone is being a dick by getting nine million culture per turn, you can bring your tourism to them in the form of bombers and infantry.)

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 12, 2013

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Did my first prince run. I tried to do an Arabia tech build on an 8 player oval. I definitely didn't get as much tech as I could have, as early as I could have. I was still way ahead of the AI's obviously, but I kept getting scared that I was gonna get rolled, so I'd fall back into some military for a bit. The game was at year 2000 and I was getting super freaked cuz I had 1503 points and Napoleon had around 1550, so I go for a desperate military shove to try and take a city from him (even though I have no idea how score points work, so who knows if that would have worked). Then out of nowhere Alexander the Great, with one little poo poo stain city, wins with a diplomatic victory. I thought France won but I double checked and drat good job Greece.

This game owns.

Couple questions;
1. I was on 3 cities until around 1800 AD. My thought process was basically "tall good, wide not good". What's the next level of detail/gameplay mechanics I should learn?

2. I researched the Manhattan project but then I couldn't find out where to build nukes. Is this just a pre-req to other nukes?

3. How do I buy spaceship parts? I had the freedom ideology that unlocked the ability, but I couldn't buy them. Did I not get far enough into the tech tree?

Yes, that's why everybody hates Alexander. Well, that and being a warmongering dick who also gets all your city-state buddies to declare war on you. City state allies are pretty sweet, btw.

1. I'm not sure. Happiness management, maybe, or how to use ranged units to effectively run a war. Actually, if you lost to a diplo victory it could be a good idea to play Siam or Greece and learn to manage city-states.

2. Manhattan Project allows you to build nukes in your cities as long as you have the Uranium resource, which you might very well not if you only have 3 cities and no city-state allies.

3. Most of the spaceship parts are at the very end of the tech tree. Also, I think you have to build the Apollo Program to make a spaceship.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Gort posted:

I think being in a Golden Age as Brazil might increase Great Musician tourism, so be on the safe side and spawn them during a Golden Age.

It does. Brazil can get some pretty stupid tourism bombs that way.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Smol posted:

Another edit: What's up with these AIs that want to give me their cities as soon as I surround them. This time Alex wants to give me Sparta. :3:

Molon labe, huh?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I think what happens with Long Count is that if you've managed to pick all of the Great Person types once, when the next option comes up you get to pick from the whole list again.

I've read that rushing Theology let you do that in G&K, but the two new GP types in BNW have made that a lot harder if not impossible.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
You natively get a bonus on researching a tech for each other civilization that knows it, partly as a catch-up enabler and partly because of a "well, someone already knows about this, why not just go ask them?" thing. Then there's the Scholars in Residence world congress proposal, which gives an extra 1.2 multiplier on each tech that anybody else already knows.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Krinkle posted:

By rivers used to be godlike but now they're not, do you mean civ IV to V? Or was there a patch that changed rivers? You can get water wheels on rivers. Those are pretty snazzy? All I remember is a Civ IV walkthrough where the guy said "I'm founding on a river because now I'll have science." I don't remember anything else but that rivers give you science, in civ IV, and I assumed they'd be important here also.

It was a change in the update to Brave New World, I believe. It's been a mainstay of Civ that river tiles give you commerce, but in BNW I believe they changed it so that cities on a river have better trade routes. I think it's just land trade routes, but it might count sea routes too.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Tried out the Conquest of the New World Deluxe.

The American civilizations get victory points for earning faith. The Shoshone tipi, as mentioned, gives +2 food and +2 faith and can be built in jungles (though not adjacent to itself). You can also research the ability to build Brazilwood Camps.

The social policies in the new version work like Ideologies; the American civs get one ideology tree and the European civs get another. One of the Tier 3 American policies gives you a Reformation belief, all of which give you crazy amounts of faith, such as +8 faith from natural wonders, ,+2 faith from ocean, coast, and lake tiles, +2 faith from desert tiles, and +2 faith from jungle tiles.

If you put all this together you can have some pretty...interesting cities.

:stare:

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I’m going to say that the Aztecs are better than the Maya for science. Floating gardens are unbeatable.

This guy makes a case for the Netherlands as the best science civ with the right start.

That was in GaK, in which a) Trading for lump sums was available without declarations of friendship and b) The science penalty for multiple cities didn't exist. Those two factors let him quick-expand, sell his luxuries for cash, and keep some happiness while still getting a lot of science. With BNW that strategy is nerfed pretty hard.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

How many "pure" warmonger civs are there left, though? Arguably it's down to Mongolia and Denmark. Japan and Germany both got infrastructure bonuses patched in. The Zulus and Ottomans don't have any direct infrastructure benefits but the resources they save on building and maintaining military forces are immense and they both make for fun builder's games. I agree that Mongolia and Denmark are not terribly interesting to me but Genghis and Harald are the most entertaining AI players so I don't really mind.

England, pretty much. Extra sea movement has minor exploration benefits but is mostly military, extra spy might let you do some crazy beelining but is basically about keeping up with the Joneses, and both ship-of-the-line and longbowman are pure military juggernauts.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Red Crown posted:

Is there a mod or option to exclude an AI civ? I've played against Dido three times in a row now, it's getting old.

Really Advanced Setup is good for this and a bunch of other "I want to micromanage what this game will be like" options. Ever wanted to be the Netherlands starting right in the loving middle of a bunch of sweet, sweet floodplains? Or have everybody start with their own Lake Victoria, King Solomon's Mines, and El Dorado right next to their capital?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Does the a I get any better above king or do the bonuses just increase. Because I'm realizing that unless the aj corners me or I get a poo poo start I seem to just get out to big leads quickly. In my current game I'm over 200gpt after slingshot ting the industrial era and I'm at least five techs ahead

It's basically just the bonuses. As you scale up the AI bonuses get to stuff like "start with a second settler, and some workers and a few archers, and all the tier 1 techs and maybe a couple of tier 2s, and also everything costs like 50% hammers and 50% beakers." It's still a matter of hanging on until your superior long-term priorities can outpace the AI's ridiculous headstart, but the headstart is super ridiculous - there's a reason that one of the most common pieces of advice for improving your gameplay on higher difficulties is to completely ignore all the wonders; it's because up until the industrial era or so the AIs will build all of them before you have a chance to even try.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
There's a thread on Reddit where someone posts a pretty good breakdown of the way the AI picks ideologies.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

I see Arabia get promoted to top tier a lot, although I can't say I really see it myself.

Arabia generally gets rated highly because, like China, all of its abilities are generally useful. The Camel Archer is an amazing UU, since it's basically a Keshik. The Bazaar gets you extra cash in the form of both luxury trades and a boost to the "resource diversity" part of the trade route calculations. The UA synergizes with that, since it gives you more trade routes to pick from. Late game it gets you extra oil, which is an absolutely critical late-game warmonger resource.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Gentlemen, BEHOLD:

A not only reachable Krakatoa but one with a decent pile of resources near it!

If you managed to get Petra in that city it'd actually be really good! (To be fair, Mecca wants the hell out of Petra too. Desert is just so lovely most of the time.)

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Poil posted:

lakes map

quote:

raging barbs

quote:

My friend was playing the Aztec

Unless you were the Aztecs as well, you lost that game before it even started. Sometimes a map just gives such a huge advantage to a particular civ that there's no reason to play anything else.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

What does Alexander do that makes him such a shithead? I just finished my Aztec game ( which might be the reason ) and I had more influence over the city states then he ever had. I left him alone the entire game as well. I only bothered to get a couple points in Patronage near the end to help my city state spat with Germany. ( I ended up with 900+ influence before I nuked Berlin and said gently caress you in my spaceship ).

His city-state influence decays at half speed, he likes to take Patronage which further lowers the decay, and he also likes to buy city-state allies, which because of the glacial influence decay will be his pretty much permanently unless you throw an absurd amount of money at a lot of city-states.

Sometimes civs will have a bad start position or make bad early moves and pretty much fail to launch, which may have happened to your Greece, but if Alex ever becomes a remotely significant power he is going to give you a big headache with city-states.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Chronojam posted:

"There are waves here, some waves here, also waves over here. We're not sure what kind of waves in between those ones, though"

Apparently someone teaches you how to read their stick charts.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

KillerQueen posted:

Is Hiwatha's AI designed to poo poo cities every 3 panels or is it just my games? I know the AI players in general just love to do it, but he always seems to have the most cities around the midgame.

There's a website with a nice pretty table of all the AI personality biases.

Hiawatha has a 9 in expansion (out of 10, which can adjust by 2 up to 10 or down to 7) which makes him super expansionistic. The only one who's higher is Shaka at 11, but he also has really huge War and Offense scores which means he spends a bunch of time building combat units, while Hiawatha is fairly peaceful so he takes all that production and puts it into settlers instead.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Azran posted:

So Ghandi has a 12 in Build Nuke & Use Nuke according to civdata. :stare: Didn't this use to be A Thing in III/IV?

It's sort of a running Civ injoke by this point. In Civ 1, Gandhi had an aggression rating of 1 and the Democracy government type gave penalties in war so they made it reduce aggression levels by 2. This ended up with late-game Gandhi underflowing into a frothy-mouthed berserker.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Ok, lesson learned: don't invade city-states unless eternal war is your goal. Four civilizations went to war with me after I took a CS for my final city :stare:

Granted, I did neglect my military and the two nearest civs were the Huns and the Aztecs, but I think I'll let the CS live this time. Besides, I'm Morocco and I've got two desert locations left to plant cities on anyway. Probably have to send a substantial garrison with them though.

Yeah, the AIs treat each City-State as their own nation, and the warmonger penalty for taking a nation's last city is gigantic, especially if you can't mitigate it with "I never liked that rear end in a top hat anyway" modifiers like denunciations or war.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Tao Jones posted:

I think I found the secret cow level.

Jesus christ, it's right next to Poland too. The position just NE of the lower cotton has 12 loving cows.

Also, I'me pretty sure I've seen plains cows on the Great Plains mapscript. Not sure about the FP cows.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
An easy way to fix Carthage would be to replace the Quinquireme with a unique Harbor that still has the old "+1 production from sea resources" effect.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I'm pretty sure the religion Decisions are basically reskinned equivalents of each other (pilgrimage and holy text, I think) and that there are generic versions for religions which don't have the specifically named versions.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Sanctum posted:

What other civs have secretely amazing UU/UBs? I know Rome's UU can build roads so that's... something. :geno:

This isn't quite a UU, but Denmark's siege units are quite good against coastal or near-coastal cities - they have 3 move while embarked and don't lose move when disembarking, so it's possible to start in water 3 tiles from a city, move one tile closer (disembarking in the process), set up, and fire all in the same turn.

EDIT: The Aztec Jaguars and Polynesian Maori Warriors are also quite good if you can upgrade them to longsword or higher, since all their uniqueness is in special promotions that they retain while upgrading. Riflemen that can heal on kill or give -10% power to enemy units are quite powerful.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 26, 2015

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I started a quick/random game last night on Americas map. Started as the Mayans right in Colombia, and built a sweet city on the one-tile thick Panama isthmus, allowing navy ships to pass through :haw:
I had forgotten that the game shows the date in the corner in the Mayan calendar when you play as the Mayans. It's the little things there that make me love this game so much. Mayan atlatlist is a pretty pointless unit though.

The atlatl lets you beeline straight for Theology to get your UA online without completely loving your defense.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

If you're going for the Science Victory, I suppose having a large number of cities helps you when it comes time to build the spaceship parts.

With regard to great scientists: is it better to have them establish Academies or should I just consume them so as to finish whatever tech I'm researching at the moment?

Not particularly. There are only 6 parts to build, after all, and you're probably not going to bulb to every single one of the required techs simultaneously. The pure production part of the spaceship victory probably tops out at 2 or 3 decent production cities, with most of the delay coming from the last part you research.

I think the general consensus on Scientists is that you put your early ones in Academies and save your late ones until you have Research Labs and then bulb them. What the dividing line between "early" and "late" is, exactly, is the main point of contention, though I've seen Public Schools or possibly Industrialism suggested as the turnaround points.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Probably that. I resumed playing an old save file and must have forgotten.

On another topic, can anybody explain me the nuances of Ideologies, Public Opinion, and Influence? I know Tourism is a big element but I find that even why I have high (if not the highest) Tourism rating I still get dissatisfaction form my people. Also, for some reason the Freedom ideology is not popular with the AI.

You know how if you go on the screen where it shows turns-to-culture-victory there are all these descriptors of levels of influence? Like, if you don't have any tourism, you are "Unknown" in them, or if you have total tourism > 50% of their total culture you are "Familiar" or whatever. Those are important to public opinion.

First, look at any one other civilization. You get ideology pressure based on their influence with you compared to your influence on them. I think this is done so that whoever has the higher rank generates pressure points in the other civ equal to the number of levels higher - if they are Exotic in your civ and you are Exotic+1 (Known?) in theirs, they get +1 pressure towards your ideology - but there might be some base rate of pressure which is not canceled out by being more influential. Do this with every single other civ to figure out how much total ideology pressure you are getting.

Then, Public Opinion is based on how many pressure points you are getting. Pressure from people with your ideology lowers it, pressure from anybody else increases it. Having lower than content public opinion gives you a happiness penalty based on number of cities or amount of population, whichever gives you the bigger penalty.

If one or two civs with particularly high tourism+culture go to the same ideology, they may cause a cascade where someone else gets forced to change ideology to avoid revolution, which amps up the pressure on everyone else, until there's only one or two holdouts.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 19, 2015

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Played this game a bit after not touching it for a long time. I decided to try the higher levels and I breezed through Emperor and Immortal after playing on King way back when. How big is the skill gap between Immortal and Deity? I kind of want to use a civ I've never tried before and Pachacuti looks good but I'd feel like it would sort of be cheating using a mountain map. I've used all the really good civs before except poland, but I can't figure out culture since they changed everything. Is inland sea a decent map? getting tired of pangea.

Pretty huge; Deity gives the AIs a free extra settler on top of all their other bonuses getting ratcheted up another notch.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Poil posted:

Indonesian swordsmen are worse too. A random 50-50 chance that your unit will be good or terrible? Great. Just take that newly produced swordsman to the enemy and strike that bowman outside his city and- haha it turns out he got the -20 health per turn inside enemy territory gently caress you lol.

Korea's boat is pretty bad too, sure it's strong but it's basically just a trireme or steroids with the same limitations. At least back when it was ranged it could do something. Caravels aren't too useful against frigates but at least they are capable of hitting back.

Korea's boat is limited to coast, but it is ridiculously strong for the era. Standard Caravel has 20 strength, Turtle Ship has 36. Hell, Privateers and Frigates have 25 and 28, respectively. They can stand toe-to-toe with Ships of the Line if you can get a battlefield where they can't run away to deep ocean. They're a very different unit from the thing they replace - Turtle Ships can't explore but they can initiate a reign of coastal terror on whatever bastards happen to share your home continent.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

JVNO posted:

As promised-

Civ GoonPack CBP Edition

Most of the thanks goes to the content creators!

Enjoy!

More bug reporting:

-Great Generals seem not to spawn, at all. You get the points but they go over the cap without triggering the event. I've experienced this across multiple games so it's probably not a civ-specific issue. Likely Admirals don't spawn either, but I have been playing on Pangaeas so I haven't been able to check.

-Vanilla Lancers can appear as a militaristic city-state specialty.

-EDIT: Units get damaged by ending the turn on Bison regardless of whose territory it is, rather than just in Blackfoot land.

-EDIT2: Luxembourg shows up in some screens as Melbourne.

-This isn't specifically a bug, but the Hittite forge replacement can only be built a limited number of times, while in CBP the forge is a prerequisite for the workshop/factory/power plant line.

rotinaj posted:

Which folder do I unzip and open the Goonpack download into?

Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Assets/DLC
You should have the MP_MODPACKS folder in there.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 17, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

JVNO posted:

-Vanilla lancers? As opposed to a unique lancer...?
-Units getting damaged by Bison sounds like one of those 'this mod wasn't designed for multiplayer' issues- it probably doesn't even check to see if they are in the game, much less that the tile is owned by them. Should be a relatively easy fix
-You mean the City State Luxembourg is appearing as Melbourne? Probably related to some changes in the TXT_KEYS for city names caused by the addition of Australia
-Hmm... Yeah, that's not so much a bug as an unfortunate interaction between two mods. I'll see what I can do and if simply uncapping the number of forges wouldn't unbalance the game too much.

- Exactly. The hover text for Militaristic was "This city-state knows the secret of the Lancer, if you know Metallurgy yada yada..." and it gave me a big pile of them.

-This is what I mean:

- Yeah, I don't expect all the civs to play nice with the CBP changes (example: Chile's circus replacement comes way earlier than the CBP circus), that was just a particularly bad collision.

On the bright side, it seems that Great Admirals spawn correctly. I think the problem might have to do with the alternate Ottoman civ, which is supposed to give you a choice between Great Generals and their unique Military Advisor.

EDIT: One more bug: you don't get to choose to puppet or liberate cities, it just automatically puts them under your full control. I didn't really care much when I was actively conquering, but being unable to liberate a captured city-state is very grating.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 17, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Poil posted:

Is Melbourne the city just south of Luxembourg by any chance? It looks like their borders connect and there's a road between them, so most likely Melbourne just owns and controls Luxembourg.

No, the city south of Luxembourg is Kyzyl, who Luxembourg had conquered earlier. Melbourne is (supposed to be) replaced by Luxembourg in the mod because it's now a city in the Australia civ.

EDIT: After saving and reloading the game, now puppetting works? :confuoot: Hooray for bugs, I guess. Generals still aren't spawning, though.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 17, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

So I just got Brave New World and I love the Great Works of Art system but I'm slightly disappointed that my favorite piece of classical music didn't make the cut for the game. How simple would it be to mod in a new Great Musician with a piece of audio for his great work and how would I go about it? I've checked and the mod doesn't already exist.

Pretty easy. There's a bunch of mods in the Workshop that do it, you could open up this one (or whichever one you like) in a text editor, copy the code, and replace all the references to the old music.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Machado de Assis posted:

Download link for this is dead, anyone got another? Alternatively, what mods are worth looking into for someone that has only played vanilla but is more interested in bugfixes and minor tweaks than major reworks (AI improvements in particular would be cool).

For non-gameplay-altering mods, the Enhanced User Interface and Community Patch are both reasonable. Beware, though, that EUI is a really large change to the basic game view which will break when combined with some other mods and has to be manually installed rather than working through the game's built-in mod system, and while the Community Patch proper only has small changes you have to be careful not to also install the Community Balance Patch which overhauls the entire game. Really Advanced Setup gives you more options when setting up your game, like giving everyone a Lake Victoria near their capital or making sure Rome starts with a source of Iron so it can use its unique swordsman.

There are a few large-scale balance mods whose primary goal is to keep the game mostly the same but improve diversity. NQMod is primarily focused on the multiplayer "No Quitters" community, and has some fairly hefty changes in some of the policy trees, while Acken's Minimalistic Balance Mod is designed for singleplayer and generally more faithful to the original game, as well as notably altering the AI.

There's also a few mods I like which extend parts of the base game: More Luxuries does exactly what you think it does, as well as altering the luxury generation code a bit (note that this will break some mapscripts); More Great Works and Krazjen's Writer, Artist, and Musician packs are good if you want play extremely large games without running out of Great Works or you just want some extra variety on them. 3rd Unique Component and 4th Unique Component give each Civilization an additional two unique components, though any mod civ will still have just their base two.

There's mods which add or alter fairly independent subsystems to the game: Events and Decisions gives you a set of "decisions" like "Hire a Great Person" or "Fund the Louisiana Purchase" (an America-specific decision) that give you bonuses if you can pay their costs; it also has a huge degree of compatibility support among mod civ makers. City-State Diplomacy replaces the city-state gold gift system with a series of diplomatic units that you build and then send to the city, as well as altering or adding a number of World Congress resolutions.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Gyshall posted:

What are the essential vanilla+ mods out there? How about balance mods?

I did find an events mod which seems really sweet.

Gort posted:

Get the Community Balance Patch from the Civfanatics forums. They recently added events to it, coincidentally.

I'm not sure I'd refer to CBP as "vanilla+", it overhauls a lot of stuff. I'd still recommend trying it, though. Note thate there are two pieces: the Community Patch, which fixes a few bugs and provides a more extensive base for modders (and thus is required for some mods), and the Community Balance Patch (or, more recently, Community Balance Overhaul), which changes the game a lot.

Balance patches: I'd suggest NQMod or Acken's Minimalistic Balance. NQMod is multiplayer focused (for the "No Quitters" group) and willing to make larger changes, with little if any change to the AI; Acken's is single-player focused and more faithful to the original while also making the AIs a lot more willing to push people around.

Purely graphical changes: R.E.D. if you want different civ's knights to look different, Single/Reduced Unit Graphics if you want to make it easier to see how those knights are different, FlagPromotions if you want to be able to tell at a glance which of your units is the shitkicker veteran and which one is the useless cannonfodder rookie, Enhanced User Interface if you want to pull a lot of information into more easily accessible places and also don't mind a fairly busy main screen which takes some reorientation to be able to use fluently, as well as occasional mod conflicts. InfoAddict if you really miss the graphs from earlier games in the series and want to know just how seriously your army is outclassed by the guy next door's. (Note that it provides information you wouldn't otherwise be able to get.)

Straight up "vanilla with extra options": Barathor's More Luxuries adds more luxuries and changes the luxury placement code, Third and Fourth Unique Component mods make the civs a bit more distinct, More Great Works and Krazjen's Writer, Artist, and Musician packs if you want more diversity in your great works or you just have a tendency to play on enormous maps which end up running out of cultural great people to spawn halfway through. Really Advanced Setup if you want to do crazy stuff like "everyone gets a Fountain of Youth at their capital, no Spain from random selections, Rome gets iron so it's not screwed out of Legions"

New subsystems, or major changes to old subsystems: Sukitract's Events and Decisions, probably the events mod you mentioned. City-State Diplomacy changes how you get favor from city-states, as well as altering the available World Congress resolutions. JFD's series of mods (Cultural Diversity, Cities in Development, Rise to Power, Exploration Continued Expanded, and Mercenaries) all pick something and start tinkering with it - not all of them are completely stable, so watch out.

Then, of course, there's the endless cavalcade of new civs to try. Pouakai's More Civs, TPangolin's Colonialist Legacies, Tomatekh, and JFD and Janboruta are prolific and pretty consistently high quality.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 18, 2016

• Locked thread