Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Terracota Army: Creates a duplicate of every military land type unit you have and places them next to the city you built the wonder.

Yep.

Seriously? That's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Apparently some wonders got changed up. I found Mt. Kilimanjaro and it gave any units that moved next to it an "Altitude Training" promotion that gave 10% hill combat strength and double movement in hills.

I found this natural wonder too and let's say I mapped out the rugged continent I was on lickity split. Scouts moving four god drat tiles a turn over hills, forested or not? Yes, please!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Completed a tremendously fun game as Venice. Started off in a desert region, hilly with a flood plain nearby with 3 cotton, wheat, fish just outside the city, marble three tiles away, and a oasis on the other side. I started less than ten tiles away from two religious CSs. Oh game, you shouldn't have. :getin: With tithes, plowshares, religious texts and feed the world chosen, Venice founded Judaism well before anyone else were even thinking about pantheons.

I started near Songhai and for once, he was just trying to be peaceful and spread his own religion, Islam. Throughout the game, Islam was, more or less, kept in check by my great prophets bombing the hell out of him and keeping it suppressed. Due to my desert starting location, and nearby CSs which were also founded completely on the desert peninsula, I was sending out missionaries every four turns at the most and by the end of the game, I had spread Judaism to around two-thirds of the planet, stifling out most other religions on contact due to the incredible spread of the religion via endless hordes of missionaries, extensive trade routes, and forcing the world to accept my religion as the bestest.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Your first problem was deploying your entire army halfway across the world with a belligerent neighbor on your doorstep. Next time just do the war, say you'll assist, keep all your forces at home and accept any white peace or better agreements from the other guy when they inevitably pop up.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

eXXon posted:

The culture bonuses are too small to make an appreciable difference in the late eras. I like farming culture off barbarian encampments but the returns don't keep up past the renaissance.

Also, some jackass inevitably comes along to pop the encampment.

Dunno if you were doing it or not, but leave the guarding barbarian in the encampment and, well, camp the spawn point. The jerks will, supposedly, respawn quicker if you leave a barbarian in the camp.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

That's the game telling you to have fog-busters to protect your trade routes. I've never had problems with barbarians after I started implementing sentries.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Is going Liberty still worth it if you've disable cultural victories? And what about Great Artists- do they still have a use then, or should I burn them for Golden Ages?

Speeding up settlers, workers, a golden age, faster policies and a great person of your choice at the end of the tree is really, really good. If you don't care about tourism, just burn the artist for golden ages.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

It's a pipe dream, but I would kill for a modern iteration of Civilization 2: Test of Time. Multiple z-levels to play on would be fantastic, don't even bother making it for singleplayer. Multiplayer games is where this would shine.

Even Call to Power's undersea and orbital cities would be neat as all get out.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

What civs are best suited to a small empire? The only one I can see is India I think, but I'm very new to this game (recently bought the DLC after playing a bit at release and not enjoying it, boy is it different).

I just finished a massive game with 50+ cities as Rome conquering the world, and I want to try the opposite and stay super small, I'm thinking no more than 4 cities due to Tradition's bonuses.

Poland, Venice to name a couple. India is, believe it or not, is suited towards a wider empire.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Well I did liberate the two Songhai cities France had conquered. I suppose I could just go ahead and conquer his cities and give them back at half size. Except Paris. I've got four trebuchets and seven knights running around France's territory.

What kind of pansy peace loving beatnik are you? Raze the cities to 1 pop, and sell off any remaining buildings, THEN give them to a civ with the lowest happiness.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

So me and a bud are doing a co-op comp stomp and we went with a Incan/Dutch combo for the delicious, delicious double tile improvements. Bud of mine is the Dutch, this was due south of his capital.

:homebrew:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

In one game, Genghis was the leader in convincing the entire world that I wasn't a gigantic rear end in a top hat for daring to place my capital down where I started as Venice. First one in that game to DoF me, and also received the first of many research agreements, and trades in his favor.

Nebuchadnezzar, on the other hand, is just a grumpy jerk that keeps to himself.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Peaceful Tenochtilan, nestled between the gentle lakes nearby, and at the foothills of a lone mountain peak would almost seem rustic if it weren't for the daily income of sacrifices for the blood altar from nearby barbarian camps. Yes, the Aztec empire was content, it's sole army returning from a successful campaign against Venice, and preparing to go collect Swedish prisoners on the other side of the empire.

From the thick, steamy jungles to the south, a single Mongolian swordsman appeared from the thicket, then another, and another, followed by a desiccated corpse wrapped in parchment that came flying over the hills into the city; "The time for your destruction has come!"

Wise Montezuma looked upon this corpse in mid-cut of the obsidian blade. How dare these sacrifices pretend to revolt in his august presence? Ximicacan. Ximicacan! XIMICACAN! He declared as another heart lay cooling on the hungry stone slab.

The jaguar swords, six army groups in number, accompanied by two jaguar pikes made all haste to welcome the new sacrifices to the blood altars at Tenochtilan. The invaders numbered in the ten and eight, marched to their doom. Huitzilopochtli would feast well, and Montezuma's chief sacrifice-gatherer, Auitzotl, would ensure it.

At first, the Mongols had the upperhand, and numbers, and they were in firing distance of the capital. Glorious Montezuma, gazed upon the statues of Mictlantecuhtli and deemed it time, for the sacrifices came at the city in ones and twos from the hostile jungle, with the hungry jaguar hunting for prey. All of the invaders who made it to the walls of the city either perished or were taken captive, and the sanguine life flowed from the temples. Montezuma himself was so impressed by this generosity of Genghis Khan that he awarded his gatherers the privilege to shed the skin of the iron and become encased in the shining favor of Quetzalcoatl and told to go forth to the yurts of the Mongols.

Hefting his long macuahuitl and arrayed in the pelt of the Jaguar and the feathers of the Bird, honorable Auitzotl gave the fleeing Mongols two choices: Die on the altars, or die on the wicked curved obsidian blades of the Steel Jaguars.

:black101: XIMICACAN :black101:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

If convenient, you could plant a unit on the coal tile next time so the worker can't go putting a farm on it.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Grundma posted:

Anyone know why civ crashes when I try to take a screenshot via steam with f12?

F12 in Civ5 is quickload, or at least it's what it does for me when it doesn't simply CTD the process with the keypress.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Playing in a MP game, chose Spain and I absolutely knocked it out of the park on having nearby natural wonders. Second city right next to Uluru, third city right next to Mount Sinai. Both were first discoveries, and the fifth city...

A workable Krakatoa? :monocle: I'd of placed it closer to the mainland, but I didn't want to piss off Morocco.

I suppose the religion name I chose, to get lucky, was rather appropriate.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Speedball posted:

Yeah. Spain gets double riches from Cerro de Potosi. Double faith from Mt. Sinai! And double youth from the Fountain of Youth.

so basically they've all just turned into babies. Very happy babies, but still.

And double faith from the pantheon belief AND double culture from the world congress voting. God drat is getting wonders amazing as Spain.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I think I've been playing this game a little too much when I can start predicting where the AI is gonna place it's god awful powerhouse cities next.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, that one is my favorite :). America was in top form that game, they had several other useless island cities I didn't picture. Continents Plus has a tendency to bring that behavior out really strongly in the AI.

All of those cities are making me irrationally angry just looking at them.

Is there a mod that lets one go hog-wild with cities and gets rid of the stacking penalties of beakers, culture and happiness?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Star Platinum posted:

(actually in retrospect I guess she used her bonus belief to get some faith building? That would actually be clever if I could believe it was intentional)

It doesn't look like she took a bonus belief though. Did you arrange by religion? I would assume it'd show up there if she did indeed take the bonus.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

quote:

Changed MINIMUM_SETTLE_FERTILITY to 20000, up from 5000 to keep AI civs from settling worthless plots. Added some logging code to track plot values.

But who will plop down cities in the snow next to one tile of stone now? :negative: I don't know if I can play a game without stamping out the dozen or so arctic snow and ice cities. So much will change.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

redreader posted:

How can you tell if a spot is good for science?

Growth potential and great scientist generation. If you can put the next to a mountain you can plop down a observatory for a flat +50% beaker production. If you can place it next to a river or fresh water lake, you can place down a garden for a bonus to great person generation.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Any cities you capture in OCC get auto razed. I forget what happens to capitals. Those probably get razed, too.

Everything is razed, including those meddlesome city states.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

In the embarrassing AI city showcase:

I'll see your Portugal island-city, and raise you a Hiawatthefuck polar island-hut.

Also from the beta patch.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

He has at least fourteen cities on the visible map.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Sorry but tanks with +1 movement and ignoring ZOC are the best thing ever. If domination weren't the most tedious thing ever I'd do it more often.

Incan tanks, altitude training, and autocracy. The smoothest ride over the roughest of hills, across the continent and still able to lob shells into Ghandi's bifocals with unerring accuracy. :rice:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Being prophet bombed won't eliminate the holy city's religion completely, that requires a inquisitor to do the work. For your case however, there's a few things you could do next time; 1) Surround the city's hex grid with units, 2) Park an inquisitor in the city, or 3) Capture the prophet before it arrives. Barring that, you said the religion wasn't too advanced, it may not be such a bad thing to just use the invading religion. Check the beliefs of it and see if it fits your play style.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Ah, well, lovely, lesson learned for next time then!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

:lol: The location of the Pyramids in the trailer. Seems about right to me!

My God have I been jonesing for a sci-fi Civ since Test of Time.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

"Mechanically, the Purity player is the one that's going to put guns on things. Giant platforms with lots of guns."

"We're going to build a fortress, and we're going to make it fly."

"You don't need fancy tricks and gadgets, you just need to hit things really, really hard. That's the Purity attitude - overwhelming force."

This is a belated April Fools joke innit?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Nations are apparently your "sponsors,"

If I can't have me spreading the word of Peruvian Pan Flute Band to the Fluteless heathens in outer space via hyperdense railgun slug, or door evangelist worms then this game is dead to me. :colbert: I'll still buy it though; water Pyramids sold me.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Global warming on real Earth, Coastal Thebes in Civ5.

VV Temperate city location? How many times did you have to restart the map to get out of the tundra with two flood plains?

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 13, 2014

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

As Venice, should I turn river jungles into farms?

Personally, I chop down riverside jungle for farms.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Chopping depends on what you're trying to output. Trying to race another civ to a wonder you really want? Clear cut those trees! Just don't waste chopping on something minor.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Building cities on shithole polar islands with access to stone and one fish tile, sure, I can see AI go for that.

But this?

:what:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Also, you're hot pink, who's that? Some anime girl civ?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=207117800

The Madoka one to be specific. UA is archers stationed in cities and citadels get double attack. UU is a specialized, annoying to kill, scout that has a one time use ability to give you a small amount of beakers when it gets next to a foreign city. UB is a garden replacement that doesn't require fresh water, and if a archer is stationed in the city, you gain 25% of the archer's strength in culture.

To be honest, I really dig this guy's civs since they usually have a fun gimmick, like with the Militaires Sans Frontieres civ he's got in his workshop. That one in particular has a different playstyle than any vanilla civ, and is more akin to a warlike Venice civ. If you can stomach anime or Metal Gear Solid, try his stuff out for a different change of pace.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

Pay a warmonger like Montezuma or Nobunaga to declare war on another civ. Just denounce the guy you paid after he declares war and then play the hero by declaring on him. Win/win!

What a dick move. I'm just going to have to verify this myself to see if it actually works.

that's awesome

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Meanwhile, in a polar ice cap near you!

It's poo poo like that which makes me want to never not use the fix Krakatoa mod.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Well for me, given the relatively small sample size of krakatoa being present on a map after using the mod, it's never not been in the middle of the ocean. Doesn't necessarily mean it'll be in a GOOD location, but at least you could place a city that can work it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

René: Look, Willem. Everything the light touches is our kingdom.
Willem: Wow.
René: A king's time as ruler rises and falls like the sun. One day, Willem, the sun will set on my time here, and will rise with you as the new king.
Willem: And this'll all be mine?
René: Everything.
Willem: Everything the light touches...

• Locked thread