Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Nazattack posted:

I cannot wait to try out trade routes. It's just what i've always wanted :allears:

I know. They even designed them exactly how I wished they would, plus some. Go bring me gold, camels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

WYA posted:

I feel like the continents plus map algorythm is completely broken with the new exp pack. I've restarted 4 times now and theres been absolutely no city states anywhere near me

You can keep the awesome map style of continents plus, but have city-states spawn regularly instead of exclusively on the island chains by following the instructions in this thread.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=453587

I've done it, and it's great.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Any way to do this for Mac?

I'm not familiar with Mac at all. Wouldn't it be the same though? It's just deleting some text and saving the file.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Alkydere posted:

I know the game makes up about half of the events/ruins out of whole cloth, but I love how absurd they can get.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I never sent anyone or anything besides an auto-explore caraval before, but apparently my Carthaginians were the first to try to settle the north pole in my game.

Did you have an automated scout that popped a ruin there? Ruins can cause dig sites to show up.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

One time I had a site of a classical era battle between two city states, where the two city states were on different continents.

On the subject of swapping great works, is there any way to prevent a civ from initiating swaps with you? I once got screwed out of a theme bonus because a Civ swapped an ancient bead with a classical pottery sherd or some other BS. Is there an option to stop that, or did I do something to make myself vulnerable to it, or why did that happen?

They can't swap unless you select them as being able to be swapped in the swapping screen. I'm guessing that you may have chosen that piece in there when you were looking to swap, never swapped, and then left it there on accident.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jastiger posted:

I genuinely don't get how the AI does the CS thing. I try to be allies with the CS's near me, but it doesn't matter. Alexander in particular manages to snag the CSs anyways. I know his UA has his influence deteriorate half as fast, but it seems a bit silly that he's able to somehow complete every quest, give enough gold, and do just the right things to snatch the alliance with every CS.

How do they do it? How do you guys do it? I don't exactly have the funds to dish out 250 gold every time they near friendship loss levels of influence.

Have you played as Alex? I don't even have to bother to make CS allies as him. The bonus to deterioration of influence is enough that if I complete one task on accident it is equivalent to two tasks performed by someone else.

With other civs though, my tactic is to concentrate on one CS at a time. Make one happy, and then move onto the next. Use your spies to befriend them, and always befriend neighbors first as they will have easier tasks like building a road to them, establishing a trade route, spreading your religion, or destroying a barbarian camp.

Overall, just concentrate one one, and slowly move to others. Don't try to make all of them your ally too quickly. Let the AI fight over people they can get while you have one that they can't touch.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Rabhadh posted:

Whats everyone's opinion of settling cities on top of resources?

I'm assuming you are talking about luxury resources.

Pre BNW, it was okay to do it if you wanted to expand quickly. Post BNW, you probably need the gold from these luxury resources since rivers and cost no longer produce gold. So you can settle on a luxury resource if it's really the best spot, but most of the time you'll want to settle next to it so that you don't lose the gold output.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gort posted:

I have real problems doing anything but a Tradition start these days. The massive super-capital with the halved unhappiness and the national college is just too good, not to mention fast expanding borders and a large free army.

I just don't get how Liberty, Honour or Piety can stand up to Tradition as a first tree.

Do Libertarians just play on huge maps only or lower difficulty levels (or slow game speed, same thing)?

I haven't played a religious civ in BNW yet, so I've yet to take piety.

I take liberty when I feel that I'm going to lose out on a good location for a third city since I can't afford to just buy a settler so easily in the early game since the gold changes.

Honor never was a good opener(but sometimes good to get later), unless you were sandwiched between jerks or had a really close neighbor; but it's the only opener I'll take as Zulu. Zulu is amazing with honor.

But Tradition is the best overall. Huge city plus faith purchasing great engineers is hard to beat.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

The ideology unhappiness penalty seems insane. I always have been going order so I figured I'd try freedom this game. Nope! Everyone is doing order and I end up with like -50 happiness in one turn. Totally hosed unless I switch to order too.

I have a feeling that they are going to change the number of AIs going to order. Someone posted the code somewhere and pointed out that they aren't predisposed to choosing order just because, but for some reason the combination of factors that the AI decides on almost always ends up on order in practice.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

I've seen some people talk about a mapscript fix for continents plus that doesn't put city states out of reach every game. I've searched for it on google but haven't been able to find anything about it, can someone in the thread direct me to it?

Edit: What the hell? I just found the fountain of youth in this game and holy poo poo is that promotion broken. I thought the high altitude promotion was too good :stare:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=453587

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

KKKlean Energy posted:

Maybe it's just me being thick, but when I did it last week, I found that guide to be very poorly-worded and it took some re-reading to get to grips with it. Simply put, you need to:

* Open the file ContinentsPlus.lua in a text editor
* Search for "function AssignStartingPlots:AssignCityStatesToRegionsOrToUninhabited"
* Delete that entire function
* Search for "Name = "TXT_KEY_MAP_CONTINENTS_PLUS"
* Change it to "Name = "TXT_KEY_MAP_CONTINENTS_PLUS_PLUS"
* Save the file as ContinentsPlusPlus.lua

The problem is that he gives you a giant block of code, and then tells you not to delete that code, but the code right below it; which is beyond counter-intuitive.

It would have been easier if he just posted what you just said though while also actually showing the entirety of the AssignStartingPlots:AssignCityStatesToRegionsOrToUninhabited method and just saying "delete the thing that says this."

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fojar38 posted:

I have no idea why anyone would ever go order unless they are a true believer. :ussr:

Order is terrible compared to Freedom unless you're building really wide, which is so hard to do because of how the game punishes you for expanding that it's not even worth it. I have had games where I swore at the start I would go Order or Autocracy but I always end up picking Freedom because Freedom is just that good.

Which is weird. There are like two AI civs that seem to favor freedom (Ethiopia and India. Washington almost always goes Order in my games. :shrug:) and all the other ones take Order at the first opportunity. Maybe it's because of the AI's tendency to city-poo poo.

I usually choose based on which victory I'm going for, so I base my choice on the third tier abilities. For example, as Assyria, I choose order because I can get Iron Curtain, which allows me to get a courthouse in each conquered city. I then get a free tech for the conquered city, which lets me keep up on any out of the way sciences while I beeline for spaceship parts(which I will rush with great engineers once I get Spaceflight Pioneers.)

Overall, I suggest choosing based on the third tier beliefs. They are ulta-powerful.

And while I think freedom is the most varied and fun ideology, the others really are just as good once you use them. Order will make it very easy for you to expand into the kind of empire it requires: you just have to put up with some boring tier one policies.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Speedball posted:

By the way, I just tried out the enhancer that makes your religion spread at double speed to friendly city-states. It is way more powerful than I originally anticipated. You guys should try it out sometime.

Used it in a Venice game last night. Pledge to protect plus that patronage policy that adds 20 to your resting point sets you up. Combine that with grand temple, and then set up a trade route, and you can have nearly any city-state converting your religion that you want.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

natetimm posted:

Why is there never any goddamn coal in my borders?

I have the same problem. I've only once had coal in my borders. I once had to take over a neighboring city-state because although they had coal, they did not have the tech to realize it, and I had to destroy them and mine it myself for the sake of time.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

KKKlean Energy posted:

Personally I quite like the challenge of having to hunt down a strategic resource that isn't in my borders. It forces me to find a solution like trade, conquest, or colonisation, which in turns gives my game a bit of flavour. I can totally see how it would infuriate most people though.

I do think that's a cool part of it. I just don't want to have to do it nearly every single game. I want my coal, and a I want my ideology.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

wilbur.walsh posted:

City State Allies are your friend. :)

They don't always have the technology to mine it right away.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bloodly posted:

Can you give it to them?

No, you can't give tech away. I just had to take them over and mine it myself.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Dongattack posted:

Anyone played a game as the Portuguese and have a tripreport?
Also anyone got a tip on a strong militaristic civ with also a strong culture output except the Astec? Currently in a early game as Brazil, they seem to be pretty cool at it.

Portugal is the easiest civilization to play as by far. You will be rich, have the best navy, and tons of happiness; all without really trying. They are always my main competitor in any game I play, and once I played as them I saw why.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I have no problem with tundra or its pantheon sucking. Tundra totally sucks in real life, and its pantheon isn't really that bad. You just have to accept that if you start on tundra you have to make the best of it, and get the gently caress out of there as soon as possible. making an extra 3 or 4 faith per turn doesn't hurt you.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Holy Winged Hussars! I finally played a game long enough to get to use them. Jonawski made a long charge against a Hunnic musket man, pushing him back, but also leaving him vulnerable to a counter attack by another musket man since he had used up all of his moves. So Kerlinski moves in tells musket man to back the gently caress off of his friend, allowing them both to live and push people over another day.

It's not going to be easy, but with enough buildings and fighting, I want to get a winged hussar with shock 3, blitz, march, and charge. I figure with maximum military buildings I can get up to shock 3 and march, leaving only two more promotions needed to make ultra-hussar.

Synnr posted:

What is with the buy tile mechanic? Is there a distance beyond which expansion can no longer occur? I can't find anything about it in the wiki I'm looking at and there are several resources apparently JUST outside my reach.

Although your cultural borders can extend 5 hexes out from your city, you can only purchase tiles up to 3 hexes out.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 11, 2013

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

KKKlean Energy posted:

I remember that. It was something to do with him having to do a tedious update to all of his mods every time a patch came out. I don't know the details of the code or anything but taking his posts at face value, I can understand his frustration, given how many mods he has to manage.

When BNW came out, he had tested and updated all of his mods within 48 hours. Amazing considering that I think he has something like 80+.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

There was a bug in BNW what allowed Siam to purchase both wats and universities with faith using Jesuit Education. They fixed it so that Siam could not do that in the last patch. However, it appears that now every civ, except for Siam, can purchase wats and universities with faith. That's funny.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=509110

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

So I finally found the Fountain of Youth for the first time. As Spain.

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Enjoy expanding and destroying other cultures with no consequences.

Civ5 really got Spain right. Most historically accurate civ.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It really is an objectively bad city location. Junk cities for two luxuries aren't really worth it anymore.

I don't know about that. It's a Portuguese city, on a coast, with two luxuries that are worth twice as much each in trade than any other city would get. It doesn't look like too bad of location. Those two luxuries are worth twice as much for trade routes, and I'm sure Maria has two ships to spare for food to the city. Not a bad place to start a foothold. I wouldn't set up there as any other civ, but Portugal is so good at this bullshit that I think it's a good move.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

fivre posted:

It also has 3 fish; one's hidden by the name.

Oh yeah. I didn't even see that since the resource indicators were off. That city is great. Give it a worker, send it some food, and let it produce an army.

I find these kind of distant trade posts or whatever to sound like a good idea on paper but never work out to really pay off. You'd need to get workers up there to improve every resource and then maybe the trade routes will be worth but it who knows because it's almost impossible for me to predict how the trade values will end up working out. I've settled some speculative colonies that seemed like they should be great but I ultimately just kept trading from my capital city that had all the trade buildings and whatnot in them. And since we're talking about civ abilities, Portugal's feitora makes luxury colonies extra pointless because you can often just get enough luxuries through city states.

edit: 3 fish isn't enough to grow that city into an acceptable size or level of production.

It's not that I disagree with what you're saying. I think we are both right, even though we contradict because we don't know the specific game conditions. But if you are going to start a colony on another continent, is there any better place than that after looking at the map? That city has time to grow where it is because it's tiles are not in demand.

The trade may be good or not, we don't know what else Portugal, or the other civs have access to regardless of the feitora. I like the spot.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 17, 2013

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I really don't understand how that's going to happen with those tiles, though. Maybe in the early game in can be productive. But by the mid to late game? It's going to be a quarter as productive as your other cities and really offer nothing of value. 3 fish is nothing.

It's a new continent. It's not supposed to be great. It's supposed to survive long enough to give you a base. I would settle there as Portugal(maybe England).

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

But you just said it was great and could produce an army. :psyduck: If by an army you mean one or two units, yeah I guess.

It's all hills on a coast. It has just enough food to support itself with fish, and Portugal will certainly have the ships available to send it more food. The fish are just a bonus to the city supporting itself. It can survive on it's own, but it should have a naval empire supplying it. That city could thrive with proper food support, and produce a great foothold army if set to production.

I don't like the city by itself, but as part of an empire, it's a very good city.

Edit: The actual trade for luxuries is questionable, but it's still 2 gold per tile if they are worked even without trade. It's the foothold that's good with the option of it being self-sustaining with fish if the empire can't support it with food trade routes. The city will at least pay for itself until it is conquered if it is not supported with food trade.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 17, 2013

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Phobophilia posted:

They're snow hills, they're only 1h. And I wouldn't waste food routes on a city like that. It's poo poo.

I didn't realize that snow hills were 1 hammer. Nevermind then. Portugal would be better off just sending in tons of ships to take a good city on that continent, unless they really need the extra happiness(which shouldn't happen if you are Portugal).

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is it smart to expand early in the game? I often end up with a pretty small empire and aim for a culture/science victory and for the first time I tried to expand very early on: I got 6 cities and a lot of land, but unhapiness was overflowing and money was a huge issue, building military or buildings was hard as hell.

However, if I leave expanding later on in the game, there isn't that much land left. What's the best strategy here?

Usually it's not a good idea to expand past your happiness threshold unless you already have a plan to get out of that hole.

There will be plenty of land left later in the game. It just happens to be settled by jerks squatting on property that is rightfully yours. Kick them out.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

What is everyone's experience with Terra maps? I love the idea of them, but just played my first serious game on one, and only I(Indonesia) and Polynesia have colonized the new world.The entire world is in the modern/information age. Russia and Spain are in the game and are the score leaders, so I have able expansionists in my game.

Do you normally see new world expansion in your games?

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 29, 2013

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gort posted:

The other thing that stops me settling late-game is the fact I'd have to build a Hotel in the size 1 new city before I could get the National Visitors Centre, and an Opera House before I could get the Hermitage. Having that new city doesn't just mean you temporarily have one crappy city, it actively makes your most important cities worse if you don't pour thousands of gold into it immediately.

I do hate the way national wonders are handled. I realize that they are made to give tall empires an advantage against wide science generating empires, but it's stupid to halt my expansion because I need one building.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

KKKlean Energy posted:

Doesn't having more cities just up the hammer cost of those national wonders anyway? Perhaps they should have ditched the "required buildings" things in favour of pure hammer cost.

Yes, more cities do up the hammer cost, and I agree. Just make the cost go up even more per city instead of requiring so may prerequisite buildings. Just make the prerequisite building required in the city that the wonder is going to be built in.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Really cool that tourism will have so many cool passive effects now.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

At this point you kind of wonder why they bothered putting America in the game. It's easily the worst civ in the game--not even in a "well, someone has to be the worst" sense but in a "wow, this civ is horrible" sense--and Firaxis isn't interested in doing anything about it. Eh.

Geight posted:

Since these are beta notes does that imply that they aren't the final draft and subject to change? I'd be surprised if they went another patch without doing anything for America since I could've sworn they explicitly mentioned them.

They didn't document it in the notes, but the minuteman now gets points toward golden ages from victories in addition to its current promotions of ignoring terrain cost, drill 1, and +1 sight.

Very good unit now, in my opinion. Once you get minutemen, you can war hard enough to get your economy into a position to extend the war; maybe even extend it enough to expand your empire from sea to sea.

I've always liked America. I think people give it a bad wrap. They have a passive war bonus with their extra sight; and their UUs are good, spread out perfectly, and on useful tech paths. Other civs may excel at war more for short periods, but I believe that America has the best average war score if you divide it over the entire game.

Edit: Also, the B17 never goes obsolete. It upgrades to a stealth bomber, but even once the stealth bomber is available, you can still build B17s, and upgrade them to give your new stealth bomber the B17's siege promotion. Don't remember if the B17's evasion promotion adds to the stealth's at all though.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 1, 2013

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So minutemen are like the UU from Brazil?

Yes. It makes Brazil's UU a little less unique, but I like it because they come at very different times.

America's UU will enhance your production and economy right when you should be starting a very long war as them.

Brazil's UU isn't really meant to be used to start a war since it has no actual combat bonuses, and comes at a time where it can stick around longer to sell your tourism to other people.

I think that they made a pretty simple change that didn't really step on any other civ's toes.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 1, 2013

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AI has appoached me many times with some creative luxury trades. Pretty cool.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Speedball posted:

The balance patch hasn't hit OSX yet, but it'll probably kick in within a week or two. Looking forward to playing my first Japan game in forever.

I played a partial game as Japan today, and it was really fun. The culture boost along with the honor opener allowed me to shoot through honor quickly and terrorize my continent with samurai.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Speedball posted:

So, those who've tried it: how are Sun God, Earth Mother and God-King?

I played a game where I wasn't going for a religion, got a pantheon from meeting city-states, and chose God-King because I didn't have any circumstances where other pantheons would have done much. It's not overly impressive, but I think it was designed for a scenario like mine, and it was pretty cool to get so many small bonuses.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Indonesia is so good for happiness. It's worth going out of your way to colonize even useless landmasses. The city is basically free and and you get 3 resourcesthat everyone will trade for. The UA might as well read "You get +24 happiness once you discover astronony. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bloody Pancreas posted:

That's the thing though: I love empire-management games. CK2 is perhaps one of the best games I've ever played. Maybe it's just the tedium that gets to me. Like "I got these stables so now my pastures are a bit better" or "I got this point in Liberty so now I build 1% faster." It's that number-crunching, incremental progress thing that wears me down. Whereas things like "I just researched Bronze Working so now I can see iron...oh wow there's some in that place I've been meaning to settle" or "Hmm there seems to be civ borders close to my capital better see who it is...[insert horselord gibberish] oh poo poo Attila I better start building up my army asap" are the kinds of things that just engross me completely.

Am I alone in this?

No. I can see your point. The game does kind of lag in the middle, but it gets really fun again near the end. Ideologies really made the game great for me. They force a lot of decision making and jerkfullness in the last third of the game.

• Locked thread