Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Alkydere posted:

Try the longsword. Hold down right click for a second then release for a short hop and then 5-10 seconds (can't remember how long) of running at increased speed. It's not a shield but its great for fleeing creepers or closing the ground between you and Skeletons. Also for just covering distance. Personally I'm not even using a "weapon" as a weapon, I just carry a mining hammer and watch as it slaughters undead in 2-3 hits due to the fact it does double damage versus undead (which consist of the majority of hostile enemies you'll see).

The battleaxe is a pretty awesome non-weapon weapon as well, and it's useful for those Natura trees that won't treecap, since it always cuts 1x9 when you break wood with it. (It also has that speed boost right-click like the longsword.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Sunblood posted:

I don't remember if Tekkit has Insertion Pipes, but they're extremely handy.

Insertion pipes are from Thermal Expansion, and I think Tekkit does have TE.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Sunblood posted:

Ah okay that's perfect. There was a mod I used to use called Additional Pipes that had insertion and some other weird things like Advanced Wooden Pipes but it has since fallen out of use.

Additonal Pipes also had a few useful pipes, like a round-robin distribution pipe, and the advanced wooden pipe is better than the default BC emerald pipe, because it doesn't pull in round-robin. (With an emerald pipe, if you put in dirt and cobble, it will pull dirt, cobble, dirt, cobble, and if one runs out it won't continue to pull the other.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Tsurupettan posted:

This is my first sorta serious foray in Mekanism's power and...

Nah. There's gotta be some catch. It can't be this easy. Low effort, self-sustaining, what am I missing here? I don't know how equitable their power output is compared to, say, magmatic engines though. Maybe they're just less power generation? Anyone know how these compare to using TE's power?

Three things about that setup - first, you're better off using Thermal Expansion's Aqueous Accumulator, as it doesn't draw power to produce water, second, TE's redstone energy conduit is more expensive but produces less lag than Mek's universal cable, and third, each hydrogen generator/electrolyzer combo only produces 10MJ/t (in Buildcraft MJ) after enough is taken out to power the electrolyzer.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Alkydere posted:

1) I could not get the compactor providing the biofuel pellets to feed into a buildcraft pipe. It would take inputs from transport pipes but would not output to them, meaning it had to be unloaded by hand and then fed into the reactor.

A wood pipe wouldn't extract? Did you try setting the sides with the configurator?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Forge Multipart looks like the microblock implementation that we've all been waiting for since Redpower died. It has support for multiple torches, levers, buttons, and redstone torches in a single block space, as well as the standard microblocks. (Also, Chickbones has brought back wireless redstone for 1.6.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Cerevisiae posted:

What's the difference between this and Immibis Microblocks as far as microblocks go? The multiple torch, lever, button on the same block part is pretty great though.

The difference appears to be that it's an API that can be implemented by other mods, and not just its own mod, meaning other mods' buttons/switches/etc. can be made multipart-compatible as well.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Taffer posted:

Pretty typical of direwolf to completely ignore the accomplishments of another mod though. Don't get me wrong Multipart looks amazing and does stuff we've never seen, but Immibis microblocks has allowed multiple things in a single block space for a long time. Not only multiple microblocks, but pipes/cables etc, but direwolf acted like that had never been done before.

True, but at least with it becoming an extension of Forge, other mods can plan for it and make their wires/tubes/conduits/what-have-you compatible with it. With Immibis microblocks, the "coexisting with other mod things" was hit-or-miss, and you might have to dig pretty far to find the right configuration to allow it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Twistershift posted:

Hey, thanks for the help.
Well, I'm closer. I tried all those things, but no dice. Then I simply ham-fisted it and removed the CustomStuff mod, and Toast works now. Maybe I have a bad file? I might throw it over in the Toast server thread, and maybe Ghost Seven or those dudes might know. Thanks again.

Psst. straw man is the guy running the main server in the Toast server thread, and most of those people read this thread too. Couldn't hurt though, since it's a pack-specific problem.

Edit: Try making sure the config/CustomStuff folder in your toastcrunchy-modpack folder is writable by everyone? That's where it generates that file and maybe it's not writable for some reason.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 7, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

The whole thing looks pretty cool, just one suggest/request I have at the moment:

metasynthetic posted:

This is an effector manipulator. Right now it's just the usual rotator tool. More functions are planned though!
Please add Omniwrench and/or other Buildcraft-compatible wrench compatibility, if you haven't already. I appreciate needing your own tool for it, but if people use a modpack, it's far easier to be able to do as much as possible with the same tool.

Edit: Actually I do have one idea, if it's possible - a field that orients gravity towards itself within a certain range. (For instance, if you make the field as a wall, movable objects within X distance will "fall" towards it.) If you could include sand/gravel and the like as well, that would be really neat.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 8, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Edit: never mind. The scythe from the Tinkers Construct works wonders.

Artifice sickles and the MPS leaf blower work as well.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Jaramin posted:

I tried using the new scaffolding in Toast (from Artifice I think?), and I accidentally put the scaffolding too high and it ran into the tree I was trying to chop down from the top. Now the game has crashed because two blocks are technically in the same spot I guess. Is there any way to fix this or am I screwed?

That shouldn't happen, if you put artifice scaffolds so high they run into another block, (at least in my experience) they just erase the other block.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

mechanicalFactory posted:

Is there a way to transfer Enchantments from one item to another on the Toast modpack?

I believe you can use MFR's disenchanter to move enchantments from a weapon/tool/armor to a book, then use that book to put it on another item.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

That reminds me, some of the thaumic tinker tools say stuff like "cannot be enchanted through normal means" but then suggest enchanting them. Is there some other way that works? Silk Cutter I know mentions this. Maybe something with the magic fabric or whatever? I'd really like to get my wand of dislocation enchanted to not break immediately for example.

The ones that don't say "can't be enchanted" (because they don't come with enchantments) can be enchanted in the normal ways, but Craft & Enchant is one of the better ones, because you can choose exactly what enchantments to use. (In the case of wands, you want Charging.)

Also, I agree, wands of dislocation are drat awesome. The standard limit of 3 uses just sucks though.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

tonic316 posted:

Does the laser drill mine force ore if we have dartcraft installed?

Probably not - it only pulls up mod ores if the mod is set up to work with the laser drill, not the other way around.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Prokhor posted:

How are you routing seeds back to the planter? Depending on what pack you're on I would recommend using insertion pipes. Insertion pipes put items in to a container of they can take it and bypass it if they can't so you don't have like diamond pipes splitting it in half but most of them fall out and disappear.

If you put it right alongside the inventory (in this case, the planter) diamond pipes work as well as insertion pipes - filter the seeds towards the planter, and if there's not room, the diamond pipe will send them the other available direction, along with everything that's not the filtered seeds. (Buildcraft diamond pipes are smart enough now to look into an inventory that's directly attached and not try to send items into a full inventory even if that's the direction they're filtered towards.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

^^
That would be awesome.

Erogenous Beef posted:

That's not a bug; the reactor can't operate if part of it is unloaded, as the bits that are unloaded may actually contain parts of the simulation. If any part of the reactor unloads, the whole thing pauses until the machine is whole again. You can use UE uranium, but I think yellorium is more common by default.

I think you're imagining 0.17. You might be thinking of 0.1.7, which is an older version than the current 0.1.13. The most current version can always be found on the Big Reactors website.

I've talked about 0.2 in the future, which will of course start with 0.2.0 and go up from there.

I believe people are confused by the third number actually being the build number - for those people, you read those as "0.1 build 7" and "0.1 build 13". Builds are less major changes that don't justify going up a full version, or even a full .1 of a version.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Enzer posted:

(as well as potentially provide hilarious public displays of mod drama when devs decide to fight it out in the crash logs like Greg did).

GT_ItsNotMyFaultException is both hilarious and sad. Apparently he spams the error logs with it whenever something happens that is a result of his poor coding. Here's one that CJ ran into with Railcraft.

On that subject, there's no way that forcing people to choose between Tinker's Construct and Gregtech could go any way but badly for Greg.

Edit: Found this while googling for more instances of ItsNotMyFaultException:

It's from back in April, but that makes it no less hilarious. (Even funnier is the fact that you can change the Technic launcher install folder to completely evade it. I changed mine to .tl2 back when the launcher had its major update, just to get around stupid poo poo like this.)

Edit2: I just noticed that was the source of the "I could have exploded your worlds" line. Eh whatever.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 14, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Makaris posted:

I am so goddamn clueless when it comes to modding. Makes me want to rip my hair out sometimes.

The Technic Launcher was, thankfully, easy enough to work out, and I got a Hexxit Server up. But it freezes up for 5-10 seconds every few seconds after being up for a minute or so, even when all graphical options are turned down to minimum. Regular Minecraft works just fine. So yeah, that's annoying.

Abandoning Hexxit for the time being, I then looked into using Pchan's Steamship mod, updated by some guy: (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1651891-16xforgegotolink-updates-creeperspecies-fixed-with-forge/#Pchan3). I followed his extremely sparse installation procedure, but it still doesnt' work in single player, let alone that I want it for SMP. I downloaded and installed forge (Install Client, it said), despite not know what all these bukkits and forges and mod loaders are for, and dropped his zip into minecraft mod folder, as well as dropping an unzipped version, when it failed to work with just the former.

Help with either issue? What can I do to improve Hexxit's performance and/or install a stand alone mod? Anything at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

Forge goes inside the minecraft.jar. Everything else goes in the mods or coremods folder. (It should tell you in the thread which.)

Also Steamship appears to be for 1.6, where the Forge installation is different and doesn't work with the Technic launcher.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I saw absolutely no difference in the efficacy of laser drills operating on bedrock (literally hugging bedrock) and laser drills at 80+. If there is a difference, it is incredibly minute.

It's supposed to take less energy per tick of work the higher it is, up to 128.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I can't help with the logistics pipes, but wouldn't it be easier to just use an ME Precision Export bus set to potatoes and carrots? (If you want to limit how many slots get used, block the rest with dirt.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I only need one paper component for maximum slots?

Does writable stack? Standard tools allow 3 modifiers, I know writable adds one, but do additional instances of writable add more?

If not, you can always get two extras with diamond + gold block and nether star (though that's a bit less accessible.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Shuffle posted:

Any idea what it is?

It's a bee hive of some sort. Use a scoop to get bees out of it.

If you go into the NEI options (in your inventory, bottom-left of the screen Options button) you can turn on highlight tips, which will tell you what the block under your crosshair is named. With WAILA (What Am I Looking At) you can also see the mod it identifies as being from and optionally the block ID. (I say "the mod it identifies as being from" because the Extra Bees/Trees poo poo identifies as base Forestry.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Jetamo posted:

And yet again, I am amazed at someone I know's loving care and attention to hosting a server, and how to pass the blame all to someone else.

It's not like the server has so many mods that the server needs restarting pretty much every three hours, or that you continue to use MCP even though it makes the server even more unstable. :downsbravo:

As long as people aren't chunkloading pocket dimensions, the only part that should have significant impact from DimDoors is exploring DimDungeons.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

RmansRvnge posted:

Has anyone successfully used MFR2's unifier to convert immibis' liquid XP into mob essence? Reading TileEntityUnifier.java, it seems like it should be able to, but it will not accept either liquid being pumped in. Biofuel and ethanol however work exactly as expected. Is this a bug or am I missing something important? This is on MFR 2.6.4 and LXP 55.1.5 for MC 1.5.2

I believe it's not yet completely implemented until they finish implementing the grinder overhaul, so you won't be able to double-dip LXP and essence.

Edit: Also the updates on the github are probably not in a proper release yet.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Serf posted:

This is what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm an idiot and not understanding you, but it seems like no matter what I do, I can't get the covers to stay within the boundaries of a normal block. I can place them against a RedNet cable, but they stick out where I do and it is very noticeable. Switching the modes of the cable seems to have no effect on this.

Which microblocks are you using, the ones from Immibis or the ones from Forge Multipart? The Immibis ones should work, the Multipart ones don't.

If you used the saw crafted like this, it was from Immibis,

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Gollom posted:

Also I hate the way the crucible works and really wish it was more like Tinkerer's Construct's smeltery; right click interface, insert items to turn them into vis. But that's mostly because I'm awful at throwing things.

When Redpower was still around, I used a relay with its backside pointing down above the crucible, with one block space in between; put items in it and it drops them straight into the crucible. I don't know if there's a current equivalent.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Direwolf's latest video shows that Buildcraft (at least for 1.6) now has a block that can push liquids out into the world.

I have one thing to say about this... FINALLY.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Yeah there's Immibis Red Logic which is basically an exact copy of RedPower and updated to 1.6:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1852277-162-redlogic-wip-replacement-for-rp2-wiringlogiccontrollighting/

I suspect an awful lot of people will not use that mod for one of the reasons people gladly gave up on redpower - in RP2 the wires that light up and the animated logic bits caused far more chunk updates than should be necessary, and thus greatly increased the amount of data the server had to transfer. That's the specific reason MFR Rednet cables and PRCs aren't animated.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 30, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Any reason you're not using tesseracts instead?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Some of them have fruits that can be squeezed into seed oil or fruit juice. The former for "stuff?" and the latter for bonus ethanol production. Only neither the new Forestry multi-farms (which are admittedly cool when you figure them out, and pretty looking) or the easier to work with (but not as pretty) MFR harvesters recognize or harvest the fruit in my experience.

Multifarms have to be configured to Arboretum to pick fruit off trees, and you want the fruit picker, not the harvester.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

fondue posted:

"There's a balance to be struck with creative freedom and constraints to find the sweet spot. Notch was excellent at hitting it"

:lol:

So says the douchebag that called his mod "Better Than Wolves" because he thought he knew what was better for Minecraft than the creator.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

mechanicalFactory posted:

Has there any mods that lets you measure the amount of power going through a MJ wire/conduit? I'm wanting to see how much energy laser drills need to be fully efficient.

If I remember correctly, each laser precharger can accept up to 100MJ/t. At Y=128, that should give maximum efficiency on a laser drill.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

MechaCrash posted:

They didn't burn, either, so you couldn't clear them out with flint and steel.

I actually didn't mind the volcanoes too much, but holy poo poo those trees were horrid. And, of course, you could not turn them off because of her ~*~vision~*~ for things that wound up never getting implemented. She even, as I recall, pulled poo poo like putting the volcanoes (which a lot of people hated) in the machines module (which was a major reason people got the mod) to make sure you played with all the toys in the toybox, including the ones with jaggedy bits that you're pretty sure the cat pissed on.

This is precisely why the "Nocanoe" mod (which I can't find at the moment) exists; to remove the most annoying things (volcanoes and rubber trees, replacing volcanoes with deep basalt deposits) from the otherwise fun toybox.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Moog posted:

I haven't played with anything UE yet, but of all the others RP2's power system is my favorite. Unfortunately there's not much use for it, though.

UE's power system is awful, anything worth using uses MJ. (Or EU, if you're into IC2, but it's not really needed anymore, what with TE and MFR.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Serifina posted:

The UE website is so awfully designed I'm lucky to find anything there. What actually uses it aside from Modular Powersuits? I think I saw a version of MFFS that used it, too...

A few things outside of the UE suite can use it (MFR for one I know offhand) but MPS isn't required to use it - MPS can use MJ or EU just as easily.

Even some of the mods in the UE suite (like Mekanism) don't even meed UE power, you can use MJ and/or EU with them.

New Leaf posted:

I'm trying to add the latest version of Zan's Minimap.

Trying to add it to what? A vanilla 1.6.2 world? Yes you have to create a separate profile for mods, but you should be able to copy your old world over to the new profile.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Serifina posted:

I don't have anything that even creates UE power that I know of - I have both Thermal Expansion and IC2, so a third kind of power is pretty pointless, and my Powersuits don't need much charging anyway.

With those two mods you can charge powersuits in an Energetic Infuser, MFE or MFSU, and also with IC2 addon charging benches/pads. (If you have Power Converters, the universal charger can function like a charging pad or you can put a chest next to it to charge all chargable items in the chest.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

^^
Edit: That is awesome and I didn't know it worked.

Serifina posted:

I have the Powersuit Addons and tend to put all the self-charging modules on.

If you have problems with overheating quickly while flying, that's caused by the kinetic generator. It recharges the suit really fast, but the heat output is tremendous when moving at high speed.

I usually stick with the solar gen to mitigate power draw and recharge other ways periodically.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 29, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Thaumcraft 4 for 1.6.4 is out, and DW20 did a spotlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_xJj356v28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Jetamo posted:

...Well now, the developer behind Applied Energistics sure is making some...interesting additions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_8rnGfIVfs :suspense:

Apparently these things can store entities as well. Including player entities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pjd6jMXKIY

• Locked thread