Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A while ago I was bored and sketched up some tiles for Sil, based on oryx's Brogue tiles. Couldn't figure out how to get them in game without screwing up the text, so they're just a doodle I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Aside from "run away sooner, rather than later," the bit of advice that helped me the most was "use your consumables." In Final Fantasy you stockpile 99 elixirs because what if you need them later??? but here you should use everything you find as soon as it seems like it might help. If you die, die penniless, having drunk every potion and read every scroll you ever owned.

The third most useful was "never fight more than one enemy at once (unless they're trivially easy)." If you feel like you have to fight both of these nasty guys at once, you should have been running away 5 turns ago.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I know I'm stealing this concept from somewhere, but you could have Luck be a bonus to your defences (chance to dodge, chance to take partial damage from a hit, whatever) instead of a direct HP surrogate. When it's full, you're almost invincible, since you dodge like crazy and barely get scratched by what does hit you. When it's zeroed out, those same attacks are deadly serious.

That also helps since you can mess with the player's luck without directly attacking him. So like, against a boss or other important character, your effective luck is halved. Now shotgun mooks can shoot at you and do next to nothing, while John the Shotgun Guy, with the same weapon and skills, is a major threat.

e: In my defence, I type slowly

megane
Jun 20, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

I haven't played Crawl for some time but last I heard they almost did away with the identification minigame; most things auto-identified on use except for some bizarro effects. Someone might want to correct me on that.

The only things that don't ID on use now are some kinds of jewellery. Consumables all ID on the first use, and some things you had to ID back in the dark ages come pre-identified on the ground.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'd like to hear about Nuclear Throne as well. I can get to the Palace sometimes but holy poo poo it's just a giant clusterfuck. You always seem to spawn in a giant open room with a hundred assholes surrounding you, what the hell are you supposed to do? At least in the Ice City you can one-shot all the assholes with a crossbow or whatever.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I've played like 5 minutes of CoQ but just thinking about it makes me want to draw tiles for it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You inspired me to have a go at making some CoQ tiles, so here you go.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I was kinda confused by how torches work. You pick a direction, choose to use a torch, roll the room, and then get to decide if you enter it? Can you enter it later?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

simple tiles for sil along the lines of what caves of qud has going on would be really perfect

also yeah, online play a la crawl would rock.

True story: the style I'm using for Qud is an evolution of this:

...which I made for Sil on a whim, despite its lack of tiles support.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A good example of a game that gives you one item per 30 minutes is every Zelda game.

Obviously there are rupees and keys and whatever, but you get exactly one "real" item in each dungeon. That probably doesn't translate perfectly to roguelikes due to randomness, but I can definitely imagine a roguelike in which you clear several floors -- which are devoid of floor junk -- knowing that you're guaranteed a sweet upgrade for your current gun (or whatever) at the end.

megane fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 5, 2015

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Does it have anything approaching a release date yet? I really want it, but I'd rather wait until it's finished.

I've played games that are more unfinished two years after release than Nuclear Throne was six months ago.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Hactar posted:

Got one more copy of Cogmind from a 3-pack available, just need the $20 share through Paypal :)

I'd get in on this; just PM me your email so I can pay you.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Shoehead posted:

I might be Quding wrong, but I just got the poo poo kicked out of me by a goat, ran away, killed a warrior and ate him and then in turn got eaten by a bear.

No, that's just the food chain in action. :biotruths:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Benly posted:

I'm not sure what's going on here, but it's pretty wet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gEkwhdXUE

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The frustrating part of being a tinker is that often recipes for things are harder to get than the things themselves; especially if you have a low Ego, a recipe for a dirt-common thing like a revolver can cost you several hundred drams. And then you have to have the bits. By the time you've got that stuff you'll have found half a dozen revolvers lying on the floor.

So a way to make your own recipes would be neat. One idea I thought would be cool would be a way for tinkers to "experiment." This would consume some bits and have a chance to teach you a new, random recipe. True Men could get a bonus to it (they've had more exposure to tech), say a choice of three recipes instead of a purely random one. That'd make it a better option for them than for mutants, who can use Psychometry instead.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"I caught a horrible disease, but don't worry: I bought this book from the talking ape who rules the mushroom village, and it says all I need to do is drink some molten asphalt and I'll be fine. I was suspicious at first, but the ape mayor seemed like a trustworthy guy, so I'm gonna give it a shot."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Prism posted:

I tried playing this, but due to what I assume is a bug, I a) can't shoot while moving (I have to stop for as much as a second first) but b) shoot automatically whenever I start moving. I can't figure out how to fix this. Is there, like, a resource?

I think I've seen other people with this bug. From what I read the fix is to bind "shoot" to something other than M1; M1 should still fire. :iiam:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The OP should identify each game by just describing a hilarious death.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I dunno if you count all these as RLs, but:

1. Nuclear Throne
  2. Darkest Dungeon
  3. Crypt of the Necrodancer
  4. DCSS
  5. Spelunky
  6. Brogue
  7. FTL
  8. CoQ
  9. Pixel Dungeons
  10. Nethack

Never played Dmans, I should try it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

Have done - my email is my name @ gmail so it should be pretty obviously me.

(And I'm counting Lprsti99's post despite my earlier edit. Another vote for Cogmind. :))

So everyone up to now should have received their request. If for some reason you didn't, let me know over steam or here. I'll post the next list of roguelikes tomorrow and be on to hand out more keys later in the day.

Has anyone told you you're a saint?

If it's still available, I might swipe System Shock 2. Always wanted to play that.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/DoctorLime/

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

It also uses the fantastic Oryx tileset which is the best roguelike tileset out there other than the one in Qud, and I think Qud was also based on the oryx tileset initially before they started doing custom tiles.
This is the pixel art equivalent of being told that you're a better guitarist than Slash. Cheers!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Overwined posted:

So I've been playing a lot of DCSS lately, but otherwise I'm a total newcomer. I really love the "sneak up on someone and gut them with a sharp pointy thing" mechanic and Spriggans seem to excel at this. However, they are way too fragile when the poo poo inevitably hits the fan and you've already cashed in your stealth advantage. Any recommendations for a race for such a build?

It's "non-standard" but Deep Elf is pretty good for this. You have a ridiculous Hex aptitude so your spells will be super powerful and you can easily pick up other magic as you go along. Look out for Passwall in particular. Or even start as an EE and use Passwall and Petrify to get your stab on.

e: The main trick to making a stabber succeed is to realize that you can't stab literally everything. Shanking people is great and remains great forever, but eventually you will run into something dangerous that wakes up and won't go back to sleep. So along the way you need to pick up a means for killing things like that, e.g. a better weapon, attack magic, evocations, whatever.

megane fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 30, 2015

megane
Jun 20, 2008

For the new OP, it might be cool to have a little section on developing them. Put in these links people are linking, etc.

I started doing the libtcod tutorial C++ version, it seems pretty cool. Covers a lot of important Programming Concepts in the process, like how inheritance and pointers work. Highly recommended.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Here lies the Roguelike Thread, slain by the Roguelike Thread's ghost in Hell

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's a good resource for roguelike creation? I don't plan to make one, I'm just curious what goes into building a game like Nethack or Crawl.

There's a library called libtcod made specifically for roguelikes, and it has an impressively straightforward tutorial which I recommend. Takes you from "what the heck do I install in order to work on this kind of thing" right up to wandering through procedurally-generated corridors beating up orcs with a +1 sword. I did the C++ version (so I can't say how well it works with Python) and I know a little C++, but I would think even a complete newbie could've followed along fairly well.

megane fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 27, 2016

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's open source, I think you just have to credit it. The license is here.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

This thread has gone [ 0 ] days without an argument about what roguelikes are

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Espilae posted:

Whatever happened to the Let's Play roguelikes thread? Came back after a few months and it seems to have died off. We need another!

It breathes. The LP thread dies.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SpruceZeus posted:

I got Gungeon
My biggest gripe with this game is that, for a game entirely about guns and how cool they are, the guns are mostly very similar and feel weak. It doesn't help that, as others have said, bosses are just giant walls of HP that you empty dozens of clips into. And you're encouraged to not even use the cooler guns most of the time, since they're rare and ammo is so absurdly scarce. I mean, I played for several hours and saw one box of ammo the whole drat time, and it only refills one gun. So instead you go around killing everything with your crappy starting pistol.

Let me fricking shoot things!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

a +2 shortsword (cursed at Z+1.2*)

* ±0.4, for p=0.05

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SAY IT DON'T SPRAY IT

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Somebody make a game called Rouge Rogue where all the randomized equipment is different kinds of makeup.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

What are Roguelikes?

?
@

We just don't know.

It's a difficult question, because games are impossible to describe.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Absolutely. The problem with Crawl's skill system, though, is that "learn by doing" skill systems universally suck. Removing victory dancing is putting a bandaid over a severed limb.

e: and depending on the implementation it might be even worse; victory dancing at least gives the player control over where the points go

You realize that when victory dancing was removed -- several years ago -- it was replaced wholesale with a system where you pick exactly where your points go. It is not "learn by doing" in any sense. There's a menu and you turn on the skill you want and then XP goes to that skill.

e: You can optionally have it automatically distribute your XP but it's... optional. And even then it only puts XP into the skills you've chosen to train.

megane fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 18, 2016

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Procedural Death Stockings.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Since everyone's sharing, I guess I might as well write up the silly dream roguelite I thought up a while back. I'd like to build a roguelike over the winter break, but it probably won't be this one, since this is way too ambitious for a first project, so this isn't for the contest. Still, it's fun to get the idea down on paper.

The hook for Rogue Agent is essentially straight from Mission Impossible: you are a freelance spy sorta person, being tutored in spycraft by your super-cool mentor, Rodney (voiced by Morgan Freeman). But at the end of the tutorial, Rodney shockingly betrays you! He murders everyone on the mission, fakes his own death, and frames you for the whole thing. So your driving goal over the course of the game is to build your own network of contacts, use them to find Rodney, hunt him down, and get your revenge, all before the cops catch up with you.

There's a problem, of course. The core theme (and mechanic) of the game is lies and deception. You can't trust anyone, least of all your own supposed allies! In XCOM, for instance, you have these guys who follow you without question and will gladly charge to their deaths; here, instead, like half of them are double agents working for Rodney, or mercenary types who will betray you for cash, or just secretly cowards who will lose their nerve at the worst possible time. You can do some things in person yourself, but that's risk and time you absolutely can't afford. So you're forced to rely on all these backstabbing schmucks, and hope you can stay one step ahead of them.

Mechanically, many bits of information in the game are Secrets. When you pull up an NPC's file, it'll list their real name, their stats, their traits, their location, etc... but all the things you see are just "to the best of your knowledge." NPCs have a very important stat called Deception, and will use it to hide their own details from you if they aren't extremely loyal. Thus the best spies are exactly the ones you can trust the least, since being good at deceiving your enemies means they're good at deceiving YOU, too.

Probably the biggest Secret about an NPC is their Allegiances. Every NPC is motivated by specific things: loyalty to the player, loyalty to other NPCs, greed, honor, fear. These are naturally lied about pretty much constantly; everybody you meet is going to tell you that their loyalty to you is sky-high, and that's all they care about, honest! All the NPCs are randomly generated, of course, so you've got this horrible tangled nest of Allegiances to untangle if you want to get anything done. Intrude on everyone's privacy. Learn what makes them tick. Bribe them, coddle them, intimidate them, blackmail them, turn them against their friends, make them trust you. Or have them murdered and find somebody less opinionated. Or make them trust you, abuse that trust, and then have them murdered.

To unravel a Secret, you have to gain intel about it. The higher the intel, relative to the Deception of whoever's secret it is, the more likely that your "best guess" is correct. You passively get a trickle of intel over time, and you can mark NPCs as Trusted Informants, which means they'll add a little bit over time as well (of course, if they actually hate you, they'll subtract intel instead!). For simple, poorly-hidden facts, that might be enough. But for bigger secrets -- for instance, Rodney's location, which he is naturally protecting with his gigantic Deception score -- you'll need to leave the safety of your control room and Gather Intel, or convince people to do it for you. Knowing personal details like the target's real name or hometown will massively improve the effectiveness of those missions, and of course if your trusted agent is actually a mole, you're gonna get a ton of negative intel dumped on you. You can also send people on missions to kill troublesome NPCs, steal money, influence people to your side, acquire useful new contacts, and so on and so forth, but you don't own them; they'll only do it if it aligns with their interests (which usually include large sums of money, of course). Every time you're running the risk that things could go terribly wrong, leading to dead agents, heat from the police, or even more knives in your poor back.

megane fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 1, 2016

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah I can't wait to play an RPG with persistent character build choices designed to inevitably punish me for my choices.

I also enjoy IVAN and slamming my foot in doorjambs

e: i'm being an rear end and these things could be overcome by a Cogmind-esque system of "your equipment is your build" or whatever but at the same time a huge part of the draw of RPGs is that you get to be what you want and be good at it

Warning Forever doesn't have character progression. Bosses evolve to counter your tactics, like if you fly around a ton it'll develop homing missiles, or if you stay mostly in front of it it'll concentrate its guns and armor in front. There are no permanent choices to be punished for, you just change your approach.

megane fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 1, 2016

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Today I made a tileset for the game I'm working on:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

hito posted:

(And megane, since your screenshot wasn't for Rogue Agent, I didn't know - is it something you started for the contest, or an older idea?)

Well, I did the code for the lighting a while back and decided to use it for this, but everything else is new. Right now I'm calling it Penumbra but hopefully I'll come up with a better name eventually. The main idea is that you can't fight anything, so instead you have to sneak around and use things like darkness, tactical movement abilities, and items to avoid capture. Obviously lots of games, roguelike and otherwise, have stealth, but I find it feels sort of hollow when just murdering everyone (or knocking them out or whatever) is so much more effective. Or when stealth is just a way to murder everyone. Of course people do full-stealth runs of those games, but there's a difference between "you're expected to use X, but can voluntarily choose not to" and "the game is designed around you not having X."

Right now guards won't come after you if you're in the dark, and you can spend stamina to swap places with enemies or to make moves without time passing. No items yet. It keeps track of what floor you're on, and lower floors spawn more dudes, but there's no way to win; the only thing you can do is die.

Things I want to implement:
- Dungeon generation, of course. At some point I guess there should be a way to win or something.
- Items. The plan is that you have a very sharply limited inventory, maybe just 3-6 things. There are consumables, but for "equipment" you just get accessories that either have a passive effect as long as you carry them or can be used X times per floor. Maybe valuables for you to steal purely for score.
- Enemies should have alert levels a la MGS. If you see your silhouette or hear something they'll come investigate; if they see you in bright light they'll shout for help and chase after you until you ditch them somehow.
- Speaking of which: noise. I'll probably just have it be a set radius instead of worrying about walls or whatever.
- Guards (and the player) should be able to carry lanterns; that means light sources that move so I'll have to figure out how to do that.
- Related to that, more terrain. Doors, fences, bushes, curtains, water, windows that let in ambient light from outside the building. Stuff that interacts interestingly with light and LoS.
- Other enemies: dogs (which can detect you by smell), some sort of sneaky enemy that hangs out in the darkness, archers, maybe some sort of big heavy dude
- More "moves" for the player to do in general. Maybe you can press against a wall to hide more effectively or something. Swapping could be replaced by like... a shove or something perhaps.
- I have no idea how to implement it but it'd be sweet if you could peek around corners.
- Right now if you get grabbed (by standing next to an enemy and not immediately moving away) you have to spend stamina to break free and then you can move away. This isn't excellent so I'll probably change it somehow. Somebody suggested it could just straight up game-over you.

Suggestions are welcome of course.

Anyway, here's what I've currently got and a list of stuff I've implemented if anybody wants to take a look.

e: Here's a gif of me nearly dying on the first floor :Y

megane fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

This is awesome. The stamina based gameplay seems like it would be fun to work with. Based on your doc, when you spend 2 stam to shove past a guard, they'll automatically grab you next turn, since they were prepping for it on the turn you ended next to them to begin the shove. I tested this out in game and it seemed like guardswapping is a guaranteed 4 stam loss. 2 for the swap, +1 for doing anything next to a guard, and then +1 when you leave because you have to break the grapple.

Easily explained by telling the player the guards are all wearing Kirk's razor armor from Dark Souls with shoulder pads made of koopa shells.
Yeah, the little document doesn't explain it well at all, haha. Swapping actually does prevent them from grabbing you, you just end up still next to them so it's 1 stamina to step away on the other side. The whole swap mechanic is kinda slapdash though; swapping places is cool but my implementation is extremely mediocre.