Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Banana Man posted:

Oh god I'm new to these types of games and have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

The game that got me into roguelikes was DoomRL. I'd recommend that as a start even though it has it's own feel that doesn't really feel like other roguelikes. (Oh and it's free)

TOME is another good starting point. It's pretty accessible, doesn't need spoilers to progress, and is generally fairly newbie friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Rogue like, it's like rogue and it's probably a turn based RPG game.

Roguelite, it's got procedural generation, probably a lot of items that blend together to make combos, some platforming, and these days it's probably got shooting mechanics (twin stick most likely). It's a pretty varied genre which I think is part of the appeal.

Anyway, whoever brought up Revita earlier deserves a medal. I bought it based on this thread and I'm really enjoying it. I like how each run feels varied, lots of different weapons and unlocks, and most of all, the runs are about 30 minutes. Makes it a great pick up and play game when I have a spare moment. The difficulty is perfect where I didn't feel like I needed a million unlocks to win.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

LordSloth posted:

My first Revita impression: I hate the game pad’s default control scheme. In the options menu they strongly warn you against changing it. Would I actually regret changing the controls to something more familiar, using ABXY to jump, dash, etc? Or should I just get over it and hammer at it until I develop the muscle memory, where kind of like hjklbyun it’s worth the pain of adjusting to?

Oddly enough this is the one game of this style that I use a mouse and keyboard for rather than a controller. If that's an option I can recommend it. Only issue I ran into with thos setup was accidently starting my runs by pressing E instead of selecting the tickets with space bar.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Anyone given Across the Obelisk a try yet? Looks like it just came out of early access today. Yet another rougelike deal builders blah blah you know the drill.

I did a quick tutorial run and it left me with a really great first impression. You build a party of four heroes each with a different deck and move across a Slay the Spire type map with the usual fights and events along the way.

Heroes can use equipment in different slots, the upgrade system for cards seems interesting, and it seems to have a bit of meta progression as well if that's your thing. Upgrading the town, getting perk points for each hero, and probably some other things I haven't noticed yet.

Oh, and did I mention it has co-op online multiplayer? Honestly probably the biggest selling point is that I can play with my friend who also has a deck builder addiction. You get up to 4 people in a game. With just 2 you each control two of the heroes.

I'd give this one a pretty solid recommendation. Looks like it might become a game I put a lot of time into.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

I've been liking Across the Obelisk, but the writing is painfully generic.
Usually not a big issue, but there's stuff like enemies being called "Stumpy", "Impy", "Piggy", etc

Gameplay seems pretty solid so far though.

This is definitely true. For the most part I'm a gameplay >>> presentation type of person so it doesn't bother me.

If you are expecting a great story or something you will be disappointed.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Kanos posted:

Across the Obelisk chat.

I can understand that. I've been playing co-op with a friend and we are still enjoying it.

The game seems to really want you to synergize with the team and really lean into certain damage types that work well together.

We also ran into the issue with combat length. I was expecting StS type combat but it's FAR more drawn out. Part of it is needing to check what all the cards do, plus all the actions the enemies are taking since we don't know them by heart yet. And even then, combat is loooong sometimes. It's not that I dislike that, it's more that I had to change my expectations.

Without any meta progression the 1st boss absolutely wiped the floor with us. I assume it gets more finely tuned as you get perks but I'll have to get to that point first.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

neato burrito posted:

Dungeons of Dredmore is dumb as hell, but it was the first RL that I beat fair and square; so it still gets warm fuzzies in my heart.

Same here. That game singlehandedly introduced me to roguelikes and I've been hooked ever since. They owe me hundreds of lost hours.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Your Computer posted:

sorry for doubleposting here but i recently came to the realization that i think i prefer "coffee break" roguelikes that are small and self-contained without a million systems - infra arcana is still my absolute favorite, i think it's really tightly designed and fun even if i die on the first level. anyone got any recommendations for similar ones?

I don't know if you'd consider it more rougelike or more puzzle game, but Desktop Dungeons really scratches that itch.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Hexia was obnoxious for me too until I realized that if Hexia and your last hero die at the same time it still counts as a win for you. Now I just go big damage and suicide all my guys until I win.

Drone Incognito fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 1, 2023

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

I want to do a shoutout to Desktop Dungeons Rewind releasing today. It's a remake of an older game with the same name, and if you bought the old one on Steam they gave you the new one for free.

It's not exactly a Roguelike but it should press the same buttons people in this thread like. You pick a race, class, and eventually some equipment to bring into a randomly generated dungeon to try and beat the boss. You'll get an item that you sell in town to build the town up and unlock more races, classes, and other things.

The best way to describe the gameplay is almost like a puzzle game. You need to find ways to beat the monsters to maximize the amount of XP you get while doing it in a way they lets you still take on the next ones. When you uncover new tiles in the dungeon both you and revealed creatures heal a certain amount. So you are trying to explore in a way that benefits you through healing while making sure monsters aren't benefitting too. Strategies get far more complicated later on, but you should be able to clear more basic dungeons in less than 10 minutes.

I feel like I'm not doing justice to how fun the gameplay is. It's a great game to play when you have just 30 minutes free to relax. Highly recommend and you should check it out, the devs seem like a good bunch!

Desktop Dungeons Rewind

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

SettingSun posted:

How does one get DD Rewind for free? I definitely have the original.

It should just be in your Steam library. Might have to exit and re-launch.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the new art. It's growing on me a little though.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Kudos to whoever brought up Warriors of the Nile earlier. Picked it up on sale and spent my night trying to beat act 3.

It has that fun "build an engine and watch it steamroll" feel that I enjoy with these kinds of games. The Star Mage has some really nasty combos that were super satisfying.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Kanos posted:

Alina is a good, fun game, but IMO Chrono Ark is the real winner of this bundle. It takes the deckbuilder genre and goes in a wildly different direction with it than most knockoff attempts and succeeds brilliantly.

I got the bundle for Alina and Chrono Ark. So far I did one run of CA and I like it. I was hesitant at first since usually the anime aesthetic is a turnoff.

Like another poster said it tries to do something unique with deck building and the battles themselves have some different mechanics than the usual "here's some mana here's your mana cost cards, enjoy."

I don't know if it will be a longer term play for me but I appreciate them trying to shake up the usual formula.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Ok, but is the game fun?

This is the roguelike thread, you're looking at it the wrong way. A battlepass is just economic metaprogression.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Woebin posted:

More on the general topic of the thread: are there any good roguelike turn-based tactics games? I'm thinking in the vein of X-Com and such - I know Cogmind was a more feasible project, but drat if I don't wish Kyzrati had continued work on X@COM.

Have you tried Into the Breach? Other than Warriors of the Nile 2 it's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Jupiter Hell is cool and has builds. The combat is very "active", but I can't say if it will hit the same buttons for you as TOME. I enjoyed both for what it's worth. It is more "press this item to get out of a jam" rather than "push these 5 skills to melt the screen".

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Metaprogresser? I hardly know her.

Got Breach Wanderers on a whim and found it fun, but a bit easy so far. I assume the difficulty ramps up a bit later? Either way it's fun to knock a run out in 20 minutes and theorycraft a better engine than last time.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any good roguelikes for mobile around these days? Going on a trip in a few days, and would be nice to have something for the train ride.

Shattered Pixel Dungeon has you covered here and is a good game.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Sooo...Astrea, the dice game, doing anything interesting or is it just another deckbuilder to throw on the pile?

I've played a couple hours and so far it's feeling quite good. The purification/corruption mechanic interacting with your health adds an interesting layer. Essentially your basic dice faces have either purification or corruption. Purification can heal you or damage the enemy while corruption can hurt you and heal the enemy as well as letting them use a special skill if they get too much corruption.

You have three hearts (HP) and a health bar of sorts with 7 notches. When you take damage on the notches it unlocks abilities for you to use like rerolling, applying direct purify to something, getting another dice, etc. So you can do things like damage yourself, activate an ability, heal up, hurt yourself again, and you'll be able to use that ability another time during the same turn. Oh, and the three hearts are your "real" health and you only lose one if your entire health bar gets to the bottom.

So far it feels really interesting and like it's actually doing something different than a generic deckbuilder. It actually makes you stop and think sometimes about how to play the hand you're dealt. Plus it's a really good looking game. The art and music are great.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'll add that runs are taking me ~2 hours but some of that is learning all the new stuff being introduced. Though I think the turn-to-turn gameplay takes more time since you're probably calculating how to hurt/heal yourself multiple times each turn

I also noticed the runs take a while. It hasn't bothered me yet though. They are taking longer to calculate, like you said, instead of taking forever like Across the Obelisk where it just felt tedious.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Having played quite a bit more of Astrea: Six-Sided Oracles I feel like I can give it a "highly recommend" to anyone interested in deckbuilders. Finally beat the game once and I'm getting very similar vibes to when I first played Slay the Spire. The Purification/Corruption mechanic really shines and adds a lot of turn-to-turn complexity.

The metaprogression is exactly the same a StS where as you play once of the six characters you level them up which unlocks progressively more dice and blessings (StS relics) that give you more options to build towards. Once you are used to the mechanics of how everything works runs seem to take around an hour or so and they feel nicely paced. The map is stripped down compared to StS where you pick what node you want to go and pick a path, but all the pathing is based on what you want to upgrade between your dice, sentinels (basically a pet with its own dice), or a random event, etc. All the fights you choose between a normal fight or a hard one that give you a passive relic at the end. It was sort of nice to always have the option to fight the equivalent of an elite without needing to path towards it.

Hopefully this game has some lasting power. So far it seems like it will but I'll see what the ascension levels and different unlocks bring. According to the in-game compendium it looks like there are over 700 dices, 150ish relics and some other stuff. I imagine that will make for some interesting builds.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

I'm still having a blast with Astrea and am trying to finally get a win on the 5th character Sothis. It's like my brain constantly miscounts enemy health by 1 or I lose by a single turn.

The relief mechanic happening at the end of the enemies turn always gets me because they'll get healed for one corruption from Affliction before it takes effect. Or they over corrupt and blast me.

Loving the way the character difficulty ramps up so far.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Never knew what a roguelike was until I randomly tried a game called Dungeons of Dredmor. It was a great first introduction to the genre. It had some charming visuals, the gameplay was simple enough to learn but the skill trees and builds made it fun and interesting. I remember it having a fairly involved crafting system too. Might be time to revisit for nostalgia's sake.

From there it was a quick descent into madness with ToME. I've put a stupid amount of hours in that game and it's probably still my favorite traditional roguelike. It has so many different ways to play that no run ever has to feel the same (even if I may have played Sun Paladin the same way on repeat until I won). Having a path to follow with the main story helps provide some direction. Makes it stand out compared to more mechanics focused games like DCSS or Pixel Dungeon.

DoomRL was the next one I really loved, and nowadays Jupiter Hell. The emphasis on ranged combat gave it a way different feel than the others. I also appreciated the challenges to complete to raise your profile rank to show yourself how giant of a nerd you were.

And then I happened to see a video of Slay the Spire. The graphics were sort of a turnoff but hey, everyone is having fun with it so I'll give it a shot. Like everyone else I instantly loved it. The RNG in the cards, in the map paths, relics you get, ect really fed the same brain worms as all the cool roguelikes I played. Working with what you are offered and trying to optimize is fun!

All that to say I appreciate the widened discussion that includes more than just traditional roguelikes. It's not like a new ToME is coming out every month. Hell, ToME can hardly release its updates without half a decade of waiting. Since that's the case I'm glad people are discussing things that have the "spirit" of the genre while being something else entirely. Against the Storm has nothing to do with DCSS, sure. But people who appreciate procedural generation, randomness, the feeling of working with the hand you are dealt, optimizing your build, metaprogression, the ability to pause/turn based would also most likely enjoy it.

Lots of posters with good taste in here that have pointed out gems I never would have found otherwise (Revita, AtS, Qud, Astrea). Even the random patch notes sometimes reminded me to go back to a game to check it out...or deliver sad news that Revita won't ever get an official 2.0.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Unless you have an excellent build and get lucky the boss in FTL will straight up murder you the first time unless you've spoiled it for yourself. If you have a ship that has gotten through the game by killing crew and you try to use the same strategy it just doesn't work.

The drone attack on phase 2 can also completely end you if you don't have cloak or it hits a key system. Same with the laser barrage on phase 3. Or if you don't realize it even has phases at all and you blow all your missiles/drones on phase one. It's one of my favorite games but I would understand someone feeling like they got screwed if they didn't know what to expect going into that fight.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

They're just gaslamping us into thinking a new game is coming.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Dredmor was my introduction to the genre and it seemed like a good first roguelike, crafting system aside.

Stoked to see more Dredmor in the future. Now we get to guess. Remake, expansion, or completely new?

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't even touched Against the Storm for over half a year now but I'm seeing it update with a new huge system like every 2 weeks. Which is a pretty crazy pace for an Early Access game.

Meanwhile, Chrono Ark is advertising it's all important Swimsuit DLC before the game is out yet.

Metaprogressed right into fan service.

I recently got into Against the Storm again after trying to briefly on release. I would give it a shot if you are still in the mood. The gameplay feels a lot tighter and the game feels very much complete. For whatever reason it really hooked me enough to play about 20 hours in the past couple weeks when before I played about 3 and felt bored.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Balatro has nothing to do with actual poker. It uses the aesthetics and terminology of poker to make a excellent deck/engine builder to make number go up.

It's really smart because it makes it fairly accessible and you have at least somewhat of an idea of what you are trying to do. The hand names are something a lot of people will be familiar with if they've had even a passing interest in poker or a plain deck of cards in general.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Balatro happened to be good but who am I kidding? I would have bought it because it's a game that's vaguely a deck builder and I need to chase the Slay the Spire dragon. Almost none of them are as interesting or as well balanced.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

victrix posted:

Where's the survival roguelikes

UnReal World already exists.

I also recall one that was pixel art and you were trying to survive on a tropical island or something.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

I get back into Jupiter Hell for two days and have apparently summoned a new update. Looks like they added a new branch to Dante including a new optional final boss. Hoping that I can get through and see what it's all about. Sadly the game is criminally underrated. It's really come a long way since release and the updates have added a good amount of diversity.

I'm also going to shill a game that isn't really a roguelike, but the developer made One Step from Eden and iterated on it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1664200/Duelists_of_Eden/

If anyone has played One Step From Eden it's exactly the same concept except the developer has turned it into a 1v1 fighting game. It's essentially Mega Man Battle Network the PvP game. Each character has some default weapons they start with and you have a deck that you can add different spells to. You move around a 4x4 grid slinging spells at each other trying not to get stunned into a combo as your brain slowly melts from trying to pay attention to movement so you don't get hit. Each spell costs some mana to use, and mana regens faster the closer you are to your front row.

So far it's really fun and only $5. I'd give it a recommend to anyone who enjoyed OSFE, Mega Man Battle Network, fighting games, and deckbuilders. I'm getting stomped quite a bit but the matches are fast enough that you can just jump back into another one.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

unattended spaghetti posted:

Everyone buy and play the gently caress out of Novadrift. It is incredible.

Anyone try out the Desktop Dungeons remake thingie? Does it have gamepad support? I never played the original because circa ‘11 and ‘12 I was mired in DCSS to the exclusion of pretty much all other games.

Just get the original DD. The remake is the same but you see less information at a time because of the new graphics.

Still a fun game but the remake wasn't really necessary.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

RW1 was fun, but hearing that your HP and spell charges regen after each level seals the deal for me. Having all your tools available at the start of each level makes it feel more tactical rather than a resource management game. I prefer that, but I also see how the RW1 system could appeal to someone more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

loving Moron posted:

Are there any rougelike games that have just tons of classes to pick and unlock? I want a game that has absolutely gimmick and joke classes and some that are just outright stupid/useless along with standard classes and OP classes.

Have you played ToME? Lots of unlockable classes, although I don't think it has any joke classes