Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I bought one way heroics plus in the winter sale anybody have any beginner tips? I played about 10 hours of the console spin-off and the original seems way different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is cogmind $20 good? being a mech with customizable parts sounds extremely like my kind of poo poo.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Stark Fist posted:

I wish. I love OWH a lot but I've never heard any praise for the sequel.

Are you talking about the console port or has owh 2 somehow come out without me knowing?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mystery chronicles is weird. It’s not a bad game, the base game is just better with more content. I wish they at least gave enough of a poo poo to add some of the stuff from the plus update.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

People are pretty weird when it comes to indie game prices. I don’t mind paying if the game itself is fun since you can easily get you’re money’s worth with good roguelikes.

It reminds me of how people were bitching about jimmy and the pulsating mass’s (one of my favorite jrpgs of last year btw) price of $15 even though it had enough unique content to have a ~35 hour playtime which is about what AAA jrpgs run.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

RL friends who have Switches and filled said Switches with Tangledeep: I would love your feedback on the console controls. Validate my worth as a human being (or destroy it entirely, here Jedit I saved you a seat) but also help me refine it. I feel like the problem of gamepad vs every-move-counts tile board has been a tough one and this is a solution I haven't seen before-- outside of Dungeonmans, that is :smuggo:

I'd like to get this right and there's an opportunity for improvement in an upcoming patch.

The way the left stick works is genius for situations where you every turn counts, it’s just kinda clunky when you just need to walk around. It would be cool if I could toggle it or have it on a hold-to-use like with diagonal movement.

It would also be cool if we could make custom radial rings.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Why should I bother with extra equipment slots in Night of the Full Moon? I’m yet to hit a limit.

Stuff in equipment slots are automatically equipped at the start of a battle.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man going directly from The vita Shiren to chocobo switch is pretty rough. The game is missing a ton of little QoL features that I though the genre learned ages ago. The buddy system seems like it was exclusively designed for co-op because they have pretty much 0 a.i and are pretty much useless outside of taking a bit of aggro off you.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

EtG always feels too slow and unsatisfying to me with how long it takes to kill regular enemies by plinking away at them (at least until late in the game when you have way more guns than you need).
I would totally play it if it had an option to increase the pace like like Risk of Rain's artifact of glass (a pre-game run-modifying option that makes the player do 5x damage but have 10% hp).
Not that I would get very far without getting owned.

I’m pretty sure the last update added a turbo mode that sped the gameplay up.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Gungeon chests confused me for the longest time because the green ones are a higher rarity tier than the blue ones which goes against industry guidelines.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

BexGu posted:

Is Hades any good? Its $7 on the Epic Store right now and I'm curious to see how its coming along.

it was $7 when I clicked the link but it went back up to $14 by the time I came home.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dicey Dungeon is pretty great so far. The classes feel totally different and the run modifiers makes each run play totally different. I can see this game having long legs just with people making interesting runs with the editor.

The game also has the cutest animations of any roguelike I've ever played in my life.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man I wish there was a way to have mods on the switch. There’s a ton of games I’d love to double dip on but sometimes mods just add so much that I don’t want to go back to vanilla.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wish void bastards just gave you x number of slots to bring in a mission instead of the current setup.

Like the charge laser is cool but I never bring it because most the enemies don’t warrant it and I wouldn’t be able to take out cameras without it being a huge waste.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Has anyone else been messing with the Roguebook alpha? Of all the slay the spire clones I've played so far this feels like the one with the most potential when it comes to deck building decisions.

You have to choose two heroes to start each with their own gimmick and cardpool. Every time you use a card associate with a hero they move to the front which usually means they are taking all the damage. You're dude's hp is way small than in StS to account for you having two so it's pretty important to have an equal enough distribution of cards to be able to switch when you need too.

The game also steals HEX's card socket system where some cards you find will have slots you can insert gems in to change how they work. The gems I found so far have pretty significant downsides so you have to think about it. Like one basically gives a card innate but it gets exhaust too, one increased a cards damage by 7, but also increased it's cost by 1.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Stark Fist posted:

Card Quest has been my first choice for some time.

Night of the full moon is also great

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Nowhere prophet is kicking my rear end. Not being able to mindlessly trade really makes it way more difficult to control a board.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I just learned about the existence of Mistover and it looks dope as gently caress. It looks like a mix between a mystery dungeon game and darkest dungeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=391&v=0NPZMF65GWM

It's always really cool to see eastern devs take heavy influence from western indie games.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Just popping in to say dicey dungeon loving rules. It's pretty much as simplistic as a roguelike can be (you get X dice a turn, insert them into equipment to do things) but it goes as hard as it can with the concept.

A winning run should only take like 30 minutes, but each class plays completely different and has like 5 themed runs with different modifiers that drastically changes how you have to play.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cadence of Hyrule is a Zelda game that uses necrodancer mechanic in place of its traditional systems. It’s fun, looks great, and it’s remixes are dope, but it doesn’t have any of the replay value of necrodancer.

I finished my first play through in 7 hours and am content with never booting up the game again.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man I hope crying suns is actually good. I haven’t gotten really into a space roguelike since FTL

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Has anybody tried Neoverse?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mistover seems like it has potential judging from it's demo and I definitely appreciate getting to play a snippet of the game early but drat fire the person who came up with the idea of placing a 10 minute time limit with it being this type of game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I decided to try nowhere prophet again since it got new content and it finally clicked for me. Unlike most card games higher rarities are explicitly better so the trick is that it's ok to be loose with the vanilla commons you have, just focus your equipment and deck towards a handful of cards.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of demons, how do people here feel about Demon: The Roguelike? It's basically Shin Megami Tensei as a roguelike, which is pretty cool.

Uh wow you weren't kidding that it's basically a SMT roguelike, Demons asking for lifestones and all

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 14, 2019

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I jumped on Neoverse because of the steam coupon and it actually has some pretty cool systems. It's not as turbo-polished as slay the spire, but it brings some cool ideas to the table

-Every time you choose an encounter it comes with a mission you can complete for a extra reward. You don't have to complete the side mission in that encounter and the rewards can be really good so it really adds a lot to deciding which path to take.

-The game rewards you for killing monsters with exact damage by giving you extra gold and blocking the exact amount of damage by stunning the enemy taking away it's next turn.

-All the characters have multiple starter decks that tend towards one of their deck archetypes. When I play a character in slay the spire I'm normally trying to edge my deck towards something I like playing so I appreciate having the option.

-A character can equip up to 3 pieces of gear you buy with a meta currency before a run that change up how a character works. Most of the time they are straight buffs but some seem to really change up the game. Like one gives the enemy the first turn but gives you armor and a extra mana at the start of battle, or one gave you extra hp and doubled the value of your attack and defend cards but makes all the enemies stronger

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah world of horror is pretty neat. The combat is pretty meh, but it really nails junji's tone of 'this small Japanese town is hosed'. I finished all 3 of the pre-made scenarios and my only complaint is too much of the content repeated. But I tried the custom campaign and I don't know how valid that complaint is because there are multiple 'decks' of cards that I haven't unlocked and the mysteries themselves are started to get more intricate.

I can't wait to see what people do with mods.

[e] some of the combat UI stuff urks me though. There's no sound effects for hits and the log doesn't tell you how much a monster hit you for so keeping up with what happened in combat is more difficult than it needs to be. There's also a huge missed opportunity because they don't really do anything fun with the descriptions really.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 21, 2020

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

After some more time with World of Horror I think one of the biggest issues is the difficulty, at least on normal nothing is really that much of a threat and the doom counter moves up so slowly that there's basically no actual "choice" to doing the side mission or not for a mystery. (Which those seem to have static rewards? Which sucks...Especially since some are just negatives and don't do anything so once you do it once you'd never do it again??)

Combat has a lot of options but they're mostly meaningless. Having an extremely low cost move that makes your next attack guaranteed to strike was an extremely bad decision. Have a big weapon with a low hit chance? Who cares, you can prep - > heavy attack once a turn and kill all the encounters in 2-3 rounds. I see that you can do the bow and clap prayer stuff mid combat but I have no idea when you'd want to do this. Absolutely zero reason to engage with the magic system either in my experience.

Maybe hard mode helps? I haven't tried it.

Combat needs a overhaul in general. Taking out the move that guarantees the next hit would be a disaster seeing how low the hit percentages get on character not specced into perception. Stamina is pretty low and recovery is kinda rare so you can really tank that much damage.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ZHP is legitimately Nippon Ichi’s best game and both sequels making GBS threads the bed will never not make me mad.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ZHP is great to me because the nippon Ichi meta game mechanics works really well with the typical mystery dungeon gameplay. Every piece of equipment has its own characteristics so the loot is actually fun to play around with.

The sentai theming is dope as hell, the soundtrack is really good (there’s like 20+ vocal theme songs that mix together based on what equipment you’re wearing), and the story genuinely made me feel things despite how silly it is.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

One step from eden seems pretty dope so far. It’s way way faster than how I remember battle network playing so I haven’t beaten a run yet.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I unlocked a few characters and uh if you can’t beat the game with the default lady don’t even think about it.

“How about instead of having a constant but kinda lovely gun your main weapon is a half second reflect that cost mana”

[E] another small complaint I have about the game is some of the spell icons look too similar. It’s a non-issue in battle network because time is paused, but choosing the single ice bullet when you thought it was the one that fired in 3 rows can be super punishing with the game being as fast as it is.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 27, 2020

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

lol OSFE's first patch is basically just a bunch of nerfs.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

BexGu posted:

Oh hey Rogue Legacy 2 is in development

https://twitter.com/CellarDoorGames/status/1245811726546808834

Hopefully it doesn't take too long for it to be available.

Man a Rogue Legacy sequel will have to tighten up so much poo poo to catch up to how far the genre has come since the first game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It’s pretty good. It took me a while to get into because you can’t use your unit/life as resources the same way as in other card games due to them being permanently removed if they die twice.

Every time a patch comes out I want to play more but all that stuff is locked behind achievements that seem like it’ll take a while so I end up forgetting until the next patch.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Monster Train already grabbed me way more than legend of the keeper. The unit upgrade system alone seems like it could enable some crazy bullshit.

Hopefully modding is easy because I can see dumb mods adding a ton of life to the game ala StS

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it worth playing through the vanilla campaign for NWN2? Or is mask of the betrayer the only good one.

I like the vanilla campaign but you’re totally good skipping it if you don’t want to tack on another 40 hours to your play time.

[e] oh cool one way heroics plus is on the switch now. That game was in a awkward position for me because the pc version looked terrible on my monitor and the remake was missing a lot of stuff.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I picked world of horror back up to try out all the new content and man, I forgot how much the last level drops the ball.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

This is dumb but I can’t stand the controller bindings for the pc port of shiren and there appears to be no way to use anything but pre-sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Now that I've unlocked a few things, Arcanium is really fun. Some of the artifacts have a nice build around quality so it's pretty satisfying to go from characters being bad to op. Having control of 3 decks also lets you experiment more than in something like slay the spire.

That said the game is definitely unfinished. After a few games it's way too easy, it's like if a run of sts was only act 1. It also desperately needs some kind of fast mode.

[e] also minions seem pretty awful unless I'm missing something. even the super rare ones have really underwhelming abilities that seem worse than just having a regular card.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 26, 2021