Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lum posted:

Until reading this point, I was trying to work out what a "headshot" even was in this context and the closest I could come up with was someone posting their kill/death stats in CounterStrike or some poo poo.

Is this the part of the thread now where we discuss what needs to be in the OP.

Things I can think of would be:
- Summary of Midelne's woes with his old drunk dead boss and then Rod who was even worse - the first ticket thread superstar
- Summary of Dick Trauma / Rod / the whole "in a pod" meme
- YOTJ

Any others?

Also voting that the next thread be named: FW: RE: A ticket came in....

The endless horror of blackswordca's sitcom job?

gently caress. Beaten!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You kid, but our April Fool's joke this year was a blog post stating that our database platform could now be run on a Blackberry Pi within a BeOS VM. One of our customer's DBAs decided that that was just. too. possible to be an April Fool's joke and spent a week trying to actually make such a beast to prove to us that it wasn't a very funny joke.

gently caress you! I am now trying to get Haiku running on an RPi!!!!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

SubjectVerbObject posted:

One of the best things about working from home is doing so with a puppy on your lap. One of the worst things is doing so with a puppy sitting staring at you with a "why won't you play with me?" look on its face.

This is me only I have the purring cat. Black not white however, so I don't qualify as a supervillain.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
My current dress code is t-shirt, blue jeans, and Bugs Bunny slippers. Telecommute 4 Lyfe.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There are times I almost wish we lived in some pseudo-fascist dystopia where there exists a department of language that monitors the populace and reassigns those who are too liberal in their grammar and punctuation to reeducation camps.

(see France)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Lum posted:

Something wonderful...

That is a work of art!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

nitrogen posted:

"And you constantly complain that your laptop is slow. Magnify that by ${USERS} and you understand why we dont buy £50 disks for the exchange server."

Not that they'd understand or process that information, but eventually it might sink through all that bone. If you hit a rock with a hammer hard enough, enough times, it WILL break.

The hammer, the rock, or the user?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Solely because I'm a consultant and need to cover my rear end at all times:

1. Have a wrap-up meeting. "Here's what I did and oh look your thing is fixed/here's your new functionality/here's your shiny new thing!"
2. Get a physical sign-off on the work, make the client make a copy for themselves. Make pdfs of that copy. Email them to everyone, everywhere.
3. Laugh when the client claims you didn't finish the project.

A thousand times this. I am a consultant with long-term contracts and I will not turn over the keys until I get in writing that the project is completed to the client's satisfaction. It has saved my rear end several times when my point of contact has flat-out lied to their higher-ups about project completion.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

YOTJ !!!!

:yotj:

IT manager at an engineering firm, options, bonuses, flexible PTO policy.

105 week job search is oooover.

Holy poo poo man! Congrats!!!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I just read it as by Frink...I think we may have issues.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

dennyk posted:

That Penny Arcade job is pretty much the solo IT position at every small company with an online presence ever, so it's not really that unusual. They're just being more up-front about it instead of completely hiding it behind buzzwords. There are folks out there who do like that sort of intense work and don't mind the hours. That said, the experience they're asking for is pretty absurd; I doubt they're going to find anyone with that much experience in all those separate fields who would be willing to work four jobs for what is probably an entry-level salary. They really should be looking for another young guy without much experience who can learn quickly and doesn't mind spending a couple years being underpaid in exchange for what is probably some decent experience with various IT work, like their current admin when he started.

When I was twenty years younger I loved that kind of work. Now that I'm old and fat and lazy I say no.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Agrikk posted:

Many years back my wife "volunteered" me to go help a friend of hers who was in the middle of writing her masters thesis (After this encounter I told her to never loving do that again. Ever. Grounds for divorce ever.) and was having all kinds of computer issues.

Long story short her drive corrupted so I got to buy her (and get reimbursed) for a new hard drive, locate all of her original install disks, reinstall Windows XP, drivers and Office then stick the dying drive into an external caddy and migrate what could be salvaged of her data.

What made this story memorable (aside from wife offering my free IT services to her friend) was that when the friend opened up her thesis in Word she started making edits to it by deleting words and retyping them. I remembered her talking to my wife about a major rewrite she did to one of her chapters and asked her how she did it. She said that when she does edits, she printed out the pages to edit, backspaced everything away and then retyped the new paragraphs in their new location.

I've never seen a bigger sense of wonder and joy at a PC from a user when I showed here the holy trinity of cut/copy/paste.

She didn't know the existence of the most basic text editing tools that we all take for granted. Here we were in the 21st century and she was using her laptop as a typewriter.

We STILL give her poo poo about that one.

My mother still does that on occasion. :shrug:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Agrikk posted:

What, forget to copy/paste or offer out your IT services to friends?

Yes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
blackswordca, run or at least moonwalk the gently caress out of there now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The personal financial rear end-raping.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Caged posted:

"Ah gently caress it fell on the floor :("

"...and caught fire, exploded, and was eaten by an aggressive warthog."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

skooky posted:

On a happier note, one of our domain registrars we would deal with in a previous job basically just had David Bowie's "Golden Years" on repeat for their hold music. Used to love calling those guys! :pervert:

I had a client who used the entire album of London Calling. It was a pet groomer.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

larchesdanrew posted:

We've been having issues with people not being to sign in using their domain accounts. Since I started this job, I have yet to have my supervisor acknowledge which device is running our domain server. I've asked several times if I could take it upon myself to set up an AD and set some GPOs to make managing our network a bit easier. The response has been resoundingly negative and I never understood why.

Today I finally saw it. A lonely CRT sitting in the corner of his office running Windows Server NT.

What the christ :suicide:

Short out the power supply.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Migishu posted:

Why bother with the effort?

:getin:

(if this counts as :filez: let me know and I'll remove link)

I have C&C installed on DOSBox on my phone. :iia:

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 22, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Caged posted:

A photocopier and a pen. And a printer and a scanner. And a copy of Powerpoint.

Or Illustrator...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

angry armadillo posted:

I might be a naive Brit but I am guessing bullying and harassment aren't words your military have much use for then?

Only as recommended training techniques.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It really is the only thing worth a poo poo on an Apple laptop.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Entropic posted:

Those '90s vintage HP laserjets are fuckin' tanks and no IT guy worth his salt should bat an eye at seeing one still running.

This. I have a 2100TN that is loving indestructible.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

NerdsMcGee posted:

Ahh, yes. Good ole integrated Lights On management. Not as bad at JetDirect firmware for the 4200 series though. Those are a nightmare.

Ahhhhh JetDirect Flashbacks!!!!! :supaburn:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

NerdsMcGee posted:

I'm sorry for bringing up bad memo---

ERROR 49.4c02

Burn motherfucker.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

spankmeister posted:

Does Windows 3.11 work in DOSBox?

Yes it does. It's how I play Dune on my phone. (also Photoshop to freak out my graphic designer brother in law)

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 12, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ZetsurinPower posted:

Have you ever had to do a file restore?

I wish I had saved it, but a while back there was a comparison of cloud backup services and there was a huge variance in file transfer speeds

I've had to do the restore with Crashplan. It took forever (well as close to forever as 1.8TB takes over crap DSL) but I recovered everything.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Sonic Dude posted:

It's not bad on a faster connection. We run an in-house CrashPlan PROe server and it restores at maybe three-quarters the speed of a straight copy. I'd assume it would be similar over the Internet.

Oh I'm not complaining about Crashplan. Crashplan did exactly what they said it would and it recovered everything. ATT can suck a dick however.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
See Desk Top.
Work Desk Work!
Please Work Desk.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

deimos posted:

The Dell U2412M would like a word with you.

I have a 2407WFP. 1920x1200, it is a wonderful thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I managed a convenience store (a Speedway if anybody cares) back in the 80s and the tobacco reps were always the most beat down and hating life people. Glad to see it hasn't changed in thirty years.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

blackswordca posted:

So a two week notice was given in.

The owner I talked to actually swore pretty loudly and tried to match what I was making to keep me.

I didnt accept his offer.

I am staying for the two weeks, but I will be getting my vacation paid out so thats an extra 5 weeks of pay there. I start the new job June 16

Holy gently caress man! I'm so loving happy for you.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

m.hache posted:

It bothers me that a company that can grow big enough to warrant 50 computers in a 5 story building can't front a few grand for a server. I really hope something like that doesn't exist.

It makes sense when that same few grand can buy sweet furniture for the 'C' level types.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Set her up with Crashplan Free and sync her stuff on to your storage daily. It's super easy to set up.

This. Crashplan is a breeze to use and configure. I finally got my mom using it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

deimos posted:

Has anyone here had to deal with Hospitality PoS systems? I figure I'd ask here to see what software/hardware to avoid for my brother's restaurants (I am not doing installs, I am just free consulting).

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Security-Research-Blog/Hacking-POS-Terminal-for-Fun-and-Non-profit/ba-p/6540620#.U8iJ1o2SzY8

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

The Cubelodyte posted:

Just got a request for "unfeathered access" to a server.

Mother plucking users...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Entropic posted:

I'll never understand what people have against dressing like a grown-up.

Ties are the devil and a dress code will always be the dealbreaker for me with jobs. I have managed to stay with companies who don't give a poo poo about dress code, but do care about personal hygiene. I find the second part is much more important.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Billy the Mountain posted:

Plus I don't want to touch your boobs.

:(

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Default Settings posted:

I am a chemical engineer by profession. Last week I encountered a programmable Perkin-Elmer UV-Vis spectrophotometer from the mid-nineties that uses the perfectly named programming language OBEY.

Frankly, that's has to be the only thing every engineer wants of their programs: To OBEY.

OBEY!

OBEY!!

As a Chem E by training, but somehow never by employment, I support our spectrophotometer masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I have one of those on my workbench complete with unbent paperclip jumper I use as a test supply. Plan B, best plan.

• Locked thread