Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Seriously larches... get a damned paternity test.

I hope you find something else man, I cannot believe some of the stories in this thread, yours in particular. I've been in IT since 91 and the poo poo some of you put up with is loving mind-boggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Guys, he doesn't care about the paternity test, it doesn't matter to him. He's already said he's determined to love and raise these kids, why does it matter if they resulted from his wrigglers or the other guys?

Aside from the practical issues (divorce, support, medical history) Because that's easy to say in the moment. You don't think it'd eat at anyone? Not really knowing if my children are mine or the result of my wife's infidelity? Maybe larches is a superior evolved human, maybe he's just in shock trying to hold onto something.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
Our IT staff officially works 8x5 Pacific time. No one is on call, there's no rotation, there's no policies or procedures for after hours tickets or server/network response.

We have one small international office (16 people).

We have one small East Coast US office (8 people).

We have 64 remote personnel, almost one in every populated time zone around the globe.

I see no problem with this. :dance:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

univbee posted:

The trick, if you ever must be reachable after-hours, is to have an after-hours emergency line but make it crazy-expensive for the client to call, and only give the number to whoever signs the cheques. If it's priced right they will definitely only call if there's a drat good reason.

See, an after hours emergency line would need a policy describing it, what it was, who had to make use of it.

We're only did 100mil in sales last year, why would we have anything like that?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
37 tickets came in.

Email administrator allowed external emails to our internal helpdesk@company.com address by accident.

We have lots of tickets about black friday, penis size and mortgages

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

neogeo0823 posted:

How's everyone's Black Friday going? I had 1 phone call, 2 appointments, and I took a nap today. It's been pretty great. I also found this: https://imgur.com/gallery/8Gga68N

So many zipties. :negative:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am in US. Instead of any sort of holiday pay, I sorta can accumulate up to 7 days of "holiday hours" each year, in addition to 7 days pto. The key difference between the two is one satisfies the CEOs ability to say "we are giving you 7 holidays every year!". The shifty part is I have no sick leave, if I call in sick, it's a holiday! I need a new employer.

Holy poo poo, that's abysmal, gtfo of there.

and a ticket came in (again):

"engineering would like 6 test accounts to troubleshoot our new Lync product on the corporate Lync EV server."

yeah, not happening.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Segmentation Fault posted:

I have never dealt with a competent person from any telco, I'm pretty sure it's idiots all the way down (or up).

We recently installed a comcast business MAN and I was blown the gently caress away by how good these guys were. They did a site survey, sketched our building in a CAD program, took 50 pictures and did a complete mockup on the pictures of where they were running the fiber.

The fact that it was Comcast just made it all the more surreal. Definitely the exception, not the rule however.

We're trying to get a simple MPLS link installed in Rochester NY, the circuit was originally ordered in July... delivery date was Dec/1 from the LEC. They emailed us at 4:30 yesterday saying basically "Yeah, didn't get this done, will try to finish it in the next 3 weeks, k?" :psyboom:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
A ticket did not come in.

A week's vacation and only one minor life threatening emergency(for that particular end user, which I promptly deleted).

Feels good man.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

GreenNight posted:

Good luck. We got six. After a year 3 of them have dead wifi chips. Since it's past a year, no warranty so they can't be fixed.

We've delivered 30 to our remote users, I've got one, a few others have them.

Only one that broke so far was one that was dropped, other than that, they've been fantastic. Set them up to image via System Center. Sales guy fucks it up, re-image!

edit: these are all SP3s, we have a batch of SP4s coming in that I'm going to nab and give my SP3 out to someone else.

I've been running win10 on it for a month now, no issues at all, but all the production ones are 8.1

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 15, 2015

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
181 tickets came in

code:
Warning - Environment: A low humidity threshold violation exists for integrated Environmental Monitor TH Sensor (Port 1 Temp 1 at Port 1) reporting under 30%RH.

Informational - Environment: A low humidity threshold violation no longer exists for integrated Environmental Monitor TH Sensor (Port 1 Temp 1 at Port 1).
Office move, junior guy thought it would be a great idea to enable environmental monitoring on the UPS right before he took off for the night. Since I'm on call, every time my phone chimes I was looking. Around midnight I said gently caress it and turned the sound off on my phone.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

User calls: "I just put in a ticket 10 minutes ago, I NEED THIS FIXED! I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO DO A THING FOR A WEEK! THIS IS URGENT! IT IS AFFECTING PRODUCTIVITY!"

Your ticket is #41 in the queue, we are currently closing 12 tickets a day, see you on Wednesday.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in: No one can call out of the new Lync EV system.

Start doing some troubleshooting, turns out our LEC just randomly canceled our SIP dialing plan.

:wtc:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in: Getting disconnected on the VPN every 30 seconds.

I wish I could make fun of this user, (because I hate him) but he's right. Every 30 seconds the firewall drops 4 packets then resumes like nothing happened. Bizzaro.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
Good things today: My Surface Pro 4 came in.

Bad things: We had like half an inch of snow then some freezing rain, so 80% of the IT team didn't show up today.

Not so bad thing: 80% of the office staff didn't either.

Guess its time to play with this surface pro 4 until around 2 and just sneak out.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
Kind of pissing me off today: HR declined to do a salary review this fiscal year.

I love where I work, but it's sticking in my craw to be 15% under what I can get elsewhere.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Che Delilas posted:

gently caress HR, make it your boss's problem. "Hey boss, I want a raise, this is how much I did for the company recently (money/hours saved by your actions if you can come up with a ballpark estimate at all), this is how much I want. What do you think?"

HR knows gently caress-all; they should not have anything to do with your salary. Your boss on the other hand has the ability to fight for you if he thinks you deserve it. If he decides not to, that will tell you something.

We already talked about it, it was a decision made at the CEO level to not do salary reviews this year.

I got my yearly raise, got the max the company is giving, but even with that, I'm still 18 - 20k under what I could be making anywhere else. Serious #firstworldproblems, I realize.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

ratbert90 posted:

lol if you believe this. That's what they tell people to make them stop bothering them.

I don't think its quite that from my boss, granted, that's what his boss or HR may have told him.

We lost some really critical talent last year and salary was the reason they all walked.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
Buy this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Cisco-A...eAAAOSwPcVVzmmg

post in cisco thread if you need help, win.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Danith posted:

What's a cable weave tool? I tried googling for it but it came up with knitting stuff and a rug pattern

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Comb-Dresser-Bundler-Organizing/dp/B00AA0SGHY

Cable Comb.

Best thing ever.

if you need a youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhdcvcB9jsw

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 9, 2016

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in: VPN IS BROKE, I CAN'T TAKE CALLS

I saw that at like 6:15 this morning, promptly connected to the VPN and then ignored it, that particular user has a lot of issues. Took a shower, picked my phone up and saw 12 more tickets. Hmm.

Turns out the VPN was dropping 6 packets every 30 seconds for all users. Huh.

We discovered a bug in our Extreme core with BGP routes. One neighbor has higher priority than another, so the Extreme decided to use re-advertised routes from neighbor 1 when it shouldn't be. Super fun to track down.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Renegret posted:

loving lol if you think I'm reading the entirety of the Star Citizen Thread so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the current rumor mill for that game is that their customer service just upped and closed every single ticket in their queue for the New Year. Their logic is "Well we just released a patch that should have fixed a bunch of bugs so just open a new ticket if you're still having problems.

Their current ticket turnaround time is about 3 weeks.

I wish we could do that, we're sitting at just over 4000 open tickets. Oldest one goes back to January of 2013 :smith:

Its literally the best thread on this comedy website. You should read it.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Renegret posted:

loving lol if you think I'm reading the entirety of the Star Citizen Thread so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the current rumor mill for that game is that their customer service just upped and closed every single ticket in their queue for the New Year. Their logic is "Well we just released a patch that should have fixed a bunch of bugs so just open a new ticket if you're still having problems.

Their current ticket turnaround time is about 3 weeks.

I wish we could do that, we're sitting at just over 4000 open tickets. Oldest one goes back to January of 2013 :smith:

Man, that's the best way to do it. Too many tickets? Fuckin' close them all!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

RFC2324 posted:

a few pages back, but Star Citizen is a thing now? Like, you can actually play it? :aaa:

haha no.

You can however download an 11gb Crytek ship demo that will crash repeatedly.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Virigoth posted:

A ticket came in:

"I'm to lazy to debug and fix my own issues, please do my job for me and while you are at it upgrade us to web hooks also. Thanks!"

"Ran a small test build using my test repo, build started, system working properly" close ticket.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in:

"Hi mind my name is Allison and I'm calling from SHITR 90 solutions..."

Lync voice to text, never change. I needed that laugh.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Ugato posted:

That's one thing I'm really starting to appreciate about my previous job - they did a hell of a job integrating as many systems as they could via AD. It made my life a lot easier because I only had 3 total passwords.

I have two passwords.

User AD login.
Admin AD login.

These log me into Windows, Linux, Routers, Switches, Security System, vSphere, SAN and our storage systems. That's it, any organization with more than that is doing it wrong. :colbert:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Look at this hotshot with one AD account for every server and network device in his company. I must be doing things wrong.

Please note I didn't set any of this poo poo up except for the routers/firewalls/switches, everything else was our awesome sysadmin team.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Everyone here calls desktops "CPUs" and laptops laptops.

I most commonly hear them referred to as "the hard drive"

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Super Slash posted:

gently caress that, absolutely everything is "The Server"

- Customers not reading E-mail which goes into Junk? Is the server down again?
- Poor call quality from a customer mobile phone in the middle of a desert? Did the server break?
- Internet explorer incompatibility? There's something wrong with the Internet server!
- Gray and rainy outside? Is there something wrong with the server?

Edit:
On the flip side the file server is commonly referred to as "The S Drive" since everyone has a drive mapping on "S:", nevermind the fact they also all have desktop shortcuts.

Oh, I was talking about their personal computer/laptop/tablet. Not sure why, but 70% of our users just call that part the "hard drive".

Everything for us is the network.

Is the network down? Is the network slow? did we upgrade the network? are we having network issues?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

stevewm posted:

Yeah, all of this is exactly why our ERP company has it setup the way it is.

They have the SQL instance configured to make a log backup every hour, and then a full backup nightly. SQL is configured to keep the last 2 full backup files. Any backup app we use does not actually access or touch the SQL instance itself, we simply copy the backup files that SQL itself generated.

I wish more people understood and did this.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in.
Front Desk: :supaburn: ALL PHONES ARE DOWN! CAn'T CALL IN OUR OUT!
Me: :smug: I'm sure everything is fine... checks... :stonk:

Lync basically poo poo the bed and our entire dial plan just ... disappeared. :stonklol:

I just happened to take a back up last night because I was doing something completely unrelated... I think? :confused:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

FireSight posted:

Never let cellphones on the main work network. Shove them onto a bandwidth limited guest network if they really HAVE to have wifi on their phone while at work.

This. This right here.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Emushka posted:

so this week someone sent x amount of personnel a nasty bug.

_none_ of the receivers opened it. not. a. single. one.

I guess I have done something right...

We're switching to Office 365, about 20% of our users have written in asking if the Unified Messaging email they receive is legit.

Brought a tear to my eye.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Emushka posted:

we have an emplyee of the month from IT perspective. you should probably start this.

That's a great idea.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
We migrated 105 users to O365 from prem exchange this weekend.

That went super loving good.

so

so

so

good.

:cripes:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm so sorry. :(

So here's the story.

Monday the BA in charge of CRM announces we're moving to CRM Online Feb 1.

Hadn't told IT or anything, just sent that out to the whole company. So far we had migrated about 25 users to O365 as a test, which was going just fine.

So now we have to migrate everyone to O365 this weekend, we migrate, all on prem mailboxes are empty, but surprise surprise, so are the O365 mailboxes. Whoops.

We've got plenty of backups (near-line, tape, mail journaling service etc) so no data has been lost, but the poor server guys have killed themselves this weekend to get this working.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Asmodai_00 posted:

"Okay, you know what, FINE. gently caress THIS I'll just deal with it in the morning"

*goes home without plugging it back in*

This. This right here.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

I have that exact model, and love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

teamdest posted:

How would they?

:thejoke:

• Locked thread